1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, September 8, 2006
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
My 8-year old picked this up yesterday, she was very excited. In summary, after about 15 minutes, she was in tears over the thing. Reason being is that she was frustrated with the overall navigation and controls for configuring and setting up the thing. We located the instructions buried in the packaging, and were able to eventually get past it.

After configuring, she had the instructions out trying to send messages - she finally was able to do it, but it's not very easy. In addition, the IR is a severe limitation as line of sight must be maintained.

This product would be much better if it was RF-based, and was less cryptic in the initial setup, as well as sending a message. For example to send a message, here's process:

- Chat Mode button

- type message

- send button

- it then asks for the P/I? which we have no clue what that is

- then hit ICQ button

Several steps, lots of button pushing, not the most intuitive.

Recommend that you do not buy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Trouble, February 1, 2007
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
No directions - these kids have to figure out what these cryptic codes mean without an instruction manual or any indication of what the buttons are for. The kids spent their own money on a cool toy.......they thought- do not buy unless you are a nuclear physicist.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed grandchild, November 5, 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
The seller of this product delivered exactly as was described. My grandchild and her best friend planned on using this toy to text each other when they were apart - whether that meant in their separate homes or in different classes in school. They were so disappointed to discover that the text distance is only 50 feet. They practically have to be in the same room to use the toy. What good is that? I suppose you get what you pay for and it's worth the time & effort needed to research before buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, Frustrating, Misleading, DON'T BUY!, October 2, 2010
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
I bought this as a gift for my nephew. I am fairly tech-savvy, and my brother works with electronics for a career, so I felt confident this would be an easy thing to use. I was so wrong.

PROS: NONE. Not a-one.
CONS: Item says "Wireless Texting" but that is misleading - it uses infra-red, so you have to be standing in front of each other pointing at each other while using. I assumed wireless meant you did not have to be standing a few feet away from the person you want to text. VERY MISLEADING. In this day and age, "Wireless" does NOT mean "infra-red".

Secondly, this was impossible to set up and understand. To send a text, here are the instructions from the manual:

-Press the SMS Button or press the ON OFF MODE button to scroll to chat.
-CHAT? Will be displayed on the screen.
-Enter the message using the keypad.
-Press the SEND Button.
-"P/I?" will be displayed on the screen.
-To send the message, press the "ICQ CALL" key. This will send the message.
-NOTE: To receive a sent message, the other unit must be in CHAT / RECEIVE mode. See instructions below.

To send variations of a message, it's even worse, you have to enter your friend's "code" and they never tell you what that "code" is - we assumed it meant password but it didn't work. It is way too cumbersome, takes too long, and the keys don't always work.

Thirdly, the instructions are misleading and very poorly written (either that or the buttons don't work that well, we entered everything the instructions said to enter and it still took almost an hour to send one message).

It is not a fun toy, it is not easy to use, there is no button on here that is labeled well or makes sense.

I can't see how this ever got made or produced. I can't imagine the mind that conceived of it, seriously, it is so overly complicated, it's almost like a cruel joke.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS EVER!, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
I bought this for my children who were overly excited to text each other back and forth and tell sister secrets and giggle and ooooh the hopes and dreams..then we opened the box. There were NO instructions in the box about how to operate. I had to look it up online. And when I did I saw a WHOLE BUNCH OF BAD REVIEWS and warnings NOT to buy this product. I'm VERY disappointed. It looks so cool but its very difficult to figure out. Instead of typing a message and hitting send, you have to go thru four or five steps. and i'm still not sure how to receive one from the other one. I wouldnt give this stuff away for free. The manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves. This is the WORST toy I have EVER bought.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could you make a worse user interface if you tried?, December 4, 2010
Bruce (Cleburne, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
Sounds like this has the same user interface as the Hello Kitty version of same. The user interface is just downright befuddling...all these extra keys you have to press to get it to send text...you press SEND, but before sending it asks you "P/I?" to which you respond "ICQ CALL"... does any of this make sense? I think buying my kid a telegraph key and teaching her Morse Code would be somewhat easier. I plan to return mine and get something else for an Xmas present for my kid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible purchase, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger (Toy)
This was for my 8 year to text with her bff in hopes of improving her spelling without nagging or quizzing her. They have to be in the same in the room together but is not user friendly for a child in anyway. My husband and I had difficulty making it 'chat' with the other knowing the steps.
Do not waste your time or money on this product~ feel bad for even donating it to some other poor sap trying to figure it out for their kid.

Cyber Gear SMS text Messenger