4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Solid Suite for the Home Video Author
Published on November 27, 2012 by Veil_Lord

2.0 out of 5 stars Is PD11 better than PD10? Worth buying again?
The official Cyberlink support forum told me to dump v10, reinstall Windows and move to v11. Based on my v10 experiences, do you think this is good advice?

Published on December 6, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Is PD11 better than PD10? Worth buying again?, December 6, 2012
Amazon Customer "xystus3" (Auburn, wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate (CD-ROM)

I was excited to purchase this product. Like many, I started with Windows Movie Maker, then moved up to Pinnacle Studio. I knew I needed even more features, but could not justify purchasing Adobe Premier, when CyberLink offers an even MORE feature-rich solution for a fraction of the cost.

This product would be worth 5 stars on price/value, features, ease-of-use. But two extremely important points destroy this... Reliability and support.

If reliability was there, support wouldn't be an issue, but lets start there. Cyberlink relies on a user-forum (they call it "director-zone") for support. It's cheap, and an easy way to exploit the customer base for support even without being provided by the manufacturer. But this one lives on the Cyberlink domain. They have a ticket system too and seem to respond quickly, but with cut/paste responses that are mostly irrelevant, redundant, or ask you to repeat steps you already documented to them. I gave up on the official support when they required I produce a copy of my sales receipt for further support. (I do have this at home, but the software was installed and registered at their website with a license-key to the account from which I opened the ticket. They are stalling.) The user forum said my machine was not up to the task (fully-blown, i7 gen3 4x-64-bit cores, max RAM, huge HD, 2GB GPU, no junk loaded, latest drivers, purchased for and dedicated to audio/video production) and recommended that I do a clean reload of Windows and purchase the NEW version (v11) of the program, because it handles complex projects like mine much better than v10. (My project is 3 continuous tracks of SD video (PD supports 99 tracks of HD), one track of audio, simple fades between video tracks, no titles, transitions or effects. Length 8 minutes. Hardly Avatar-II)

Another bit about reliability; anytime I would use the built-in WAV editor, PD would crash during editing tasks after returning to the project. So I would do my wav editing in ProTools and bounce it to a ready-to-go mp3. But PD "doesn't play well with mp3" (support forum answer) and had trouble syncing while editing the video. So I must do all audio work in a different program, export to WAV, then put it into PD. Clunky for a simple task.

For the value of the many hours/days of my time I have spent trying to get through this simple project and get support, I could have justified the purchase of Adobe Premier CS6.

Stay away from inexpensive software that claims to pack as many (or more) features as the serious players with a vested interest in providing real support. You will regret it. For equivalent money, purchase a more reliable product that only offers as many bells and whistles as that price-point can reliably support. Anything more is just lipstick on a pig.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Solid Suite for the Home Video Author, November 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like to work with a fair amount of video. Over the years I've mostly cobbled together various sets of freeware software programs to meet my needs. When I got a chance to try this top-of-the-line Cyberlink suite I thought it be a great opportunity to have all my needs met by a single program. Sadly that wasn't the result. I'll start off with how installation went. Feel free to skip ahead if that doesn't interest you.

The suite boasts an impressive number of file formats that it can both import and export. However a huge and glaring omission is real media format. Maybe it's because RealPlayer isn't as big as it used to be, maybe it's a licensing cost issue, but whatever the case this program cannot do ANYTHING with real media files. That right there was a major crimp in what I was getting his program for. So from the outset, I have to use a separate program to convert too and from that format which somewhat negates having a single suit. Not the end of the world, but just be advised if your needs are similar to mine.

***Installation***

To give you an idea what to expect, I have a year old computer with a core i7 3.4Ghz, 6 GB RAM, and 750 GB HD so if you're computer is slower some of this may take longer. The installation is somewhat tedious; there could be a lot of streamlining done. I started the main suite install at 4:30 PM and it finished at 4:43 PM. You are treated to a number of different popups including DOS boxes that appear and close; it's just a polish thing but they should have been minimized IMHO. It also starts a couple of distinct installers including installing a down rev version of QuickTime which has security issues and may leave your system at risk. I'd suggest you update QuickTime manually immediately after install. It also installs WaveEditor which can be used to edit sound.

So after this you're done right? Nope, you still have the bonus content packages on the other CD. Again, each one has to be installed separately. I began installing the holdiay, romance, and vacation packs at 4:45 PM and was done by 4:54 PM. However, each one requires you to fill in your name, company, and the directory. If you're installing to a custom directory like I was, it's a mild annoyance. It's also kind of odd it asks for a company as the license terms say it's for personal use only. So anyway, after all this was done I had two new startup items I didn't want, APSDaemon.exe and QuickTime, set to start at computer boot. I killed them both with RevoUninstaller (free) and there were no ill effects.

So I was ready to go? Nope, not yet! I had to download a 164 MB patch for the program. Download was no problem. You also get LabelPrint 2.5 which is an awesome little program to print CD/DVD jewel case labels as well as labels for your disk. Please DO NOT put paper labels on your discs. They look nice I know, but if they're not absolutely perfectly centered they can throw off the weight on the CD/DVD and potentially make the disc die sooner. A marker made specifically made to write on CD/DVDs is the safest way. LightScribe is probably safe too. Anyway, it's not on the CDs, that'd be too easy, you instead have to go to the website on the card provided in the box, enter your name, email, and PowerDirector CD code to get to the link to download it and get your activation code. After that, you can download the software (only about 37.82 MB); so then you have to enter name, company, directory again, and the new code you got for it, THEN IT ASKS YOU TO REGISTER entering your name and email AGAIN.

Finally I could start up PowerDirector. Guess what? It asks me to register with my name and email as well. I'd normally not complain too much about a long install process, and it didn't take that long in terms of minutes, but it was so much less automated than it could have been it was like installing something from a decade ago. I did however like the use of CD key instead of online activation because I travel. It seems to be fine if you don't want to register, which is great if you have to install with no Internet connection.

***PowerDirector***

"Internet Connection
· The import/export of some media formats may require activation via an Internet connection. Activation is fast, easy, and free. "

First off, I mentioned that it seems you can use the software just fine without an Internet connection. The only caveat, you do need to online register some of the file conversion formats like MPEG-2 (for DVDs) or MP4 files or you're stuck with a 30 day trial. Activation was instantaneous and worked fine. Just be aware and open any file types when you have an Internet connection and you should be fine.

When you start the program you're met with a splash screen. I've uploaded a photo of it to the images for this product. Basically it just gives you the option to use a handholding mode instead of the full program if you'd like. Easy mode might not be a bad idea starting out, because the program can be daunting to look at it first. I'll upload a photo of the Full Feature Editor so you can see it. You can easily enter Easy mode with a click of the little top hat icon (middle left) from inside the Full Feature Editor.

Importing videos is quite easy and they'll show up in the little library in the upper left-hand corner. Once you've got them there you can perform various actions on. One of the features I liked was the scene detection, however it can sometimes be hit and miss. For example on one episode from a TV show the software detected 105 scenes; on a 3 min. video clip from the web it detected 129 scenes. I loved that I could extract the audio from the clip very easily simply by right clicking it and telling it to extract audio. Extremely useful if you need to pull your child's singing/piano/etc. out of a video to put alongside other images.

Once you're working with a video you can do a mind boggling number of corrections and tweaks to it. Some of the features include enhancements, anti-shaking, increased back lighting, and removing noise from video/audio. You can even flip the video into reverse with a few clicks. It wasn't hard to split the audio from the video and I was easily able to run a video in reverse with the sound playing forwards.

You also have access to literally dozens of animation overlays (e.g. one adds hearts floating on the screen) that you can add. Many appear to be from older versions of PowerDirector and duplicate each other. However, there are enough to play with and the templates even allow for some level of modification themselves. You also have access to directorZone which says it's free and allows you to download more of them. I've not had time to try out this feature, but I'll certainly be poking around there later.

The software promises to output to nearly any file type and while technically true it's slightly misleading. There are a number of devices the program recognizes and can output video to, but don't expect to be able to tweak the formats much; if you have a 2nd or 3rd tier video player that you'd like to convert video for directly the chances are this suite can't do it for you. There just aren't enough options with respect to aspect ratio, audio bitrate, etc. to be precise enough. On the up side though, you may be able to convert that stubborn web clip to a format that's close enough your video player's conversion software on your computer will be able to read it and convert to your device.

I don't have a BlueRay burner so that was out, but it had no problems at all with burning normal DVDs. You can even burn VideoCDs if you have a friend who has an ancient computer without a DVD drive. As with the rest of the program, there's a multitude of different options to pick including the choice from a couple of dozen menu styles, menu structures, and more. It may be a bit overwhelming at times, but you can get pretty close to exactly what you want if you tweak enough.

***Other Software***

Label Print 2.5 is a great little piece of software. It not only lets you print the inside and outside covers for your jewel case, but also even a menu for the inside face. This is handy if you're creating some sort of mix CD or a DVD for you on a list out the chapters.

WaveEditor is an audio manipulation program very similar to the excellent free software program called Audacity. I found it extremely intuitive to use and it was able to do some interesting effects on music such as making the room seem wider or deeper. All in all a very cool little program. It's supposed to be able to export to WAV, MP3, M4A, and WMA, while it worked on 3 of the 4 I couldn't ever get MP3 to export correctly. I'm hoping that's fixed in a later patch. Until then you may have to save it as a .wav then convert using another program. There are a number of free converters out there.

***Conclusions***

I wish I could say this is the end-all suite you would need, but the omission of real media support at least for me hurts it. Cyberlink could improve their installation package to make the process easier and more streamlined, but I do appreciate the fact that I don't have to log into the Internet to validate the copy if I'm on the road (with the exception of 1x for certain file type support) which is a big plus for me. For the budding armature video enthusiast who takes all the photos at the family events and then sends out DVDs to everybody at the holidays this is an excellent and comprehensive suite.

Just a note, there are some cheaper variations of this software so you may want to look at those if you don't need all the file types and all the bells and whistles. Though, really you'll probably never regret getting more features than finding out you need something later and don't have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Upgrade, November 21, 2012
R. Sutton (Rio Vista, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
PowerDirector 11 Ultimate -

Background: I installed PowerDirector 11 Ultimate on an HP Pavilion Elite HPE with an core i7 CPU, 18 GB Ram and running Window 7 professional, system x64.

1) Installation: Installing the program was straight forward and took 13 minutes on my system. The installer asks if you would like to install `Smart Sound' and I recommend it. Since I have PowerDirector 10 and Cyberlink Wave Editor (part of PD-10) the install asked to uninstall the earlier version of Wave Editor before installing the newer version of "Wave Editor".

2) Setup: None really. So far the only issue was that PD-11 does not default to PD-10's file folder to locate previously created PowerDirector `Projects

3) Startup: Loading a 56 minute video created in PD-10 consumed 51 seconds when loading into PD-10. The same file loaded just fine into PD-11 in 6 seconds flat.

Disc #2. Be sure to install Disc #1 first - This disc contains:
Travel Pack #2 - (Install time = 1 min 31 seconds)
Romance Pack #3 - (Install time = 49 seconds)
Holiday Magic Style Pack - Install time = 1 Min 27 seconds)

Observations: So far the features, old, new and upgraded, in PD-11 mirror PD-10. If you've used PD-10 there's little to relearn. Also, PD-11 automatically found PIP's, Particles, and Titles etc. that I created or were included used in PD-8, 9 & 10.

A few earlier features were accessed differently. The `Preview' window, for example, is now `Undocked' thru a little icon and you can then resize it to whatever size you desire.

Overall so far I'm impressed with the upgrade from PowerDirector 10 to 11. It's much quicker in everything I've done on this initial tryout. I'll update this review in a few weeks.

January 2, 2013 UPDATE:

I have run into an issue when attempting to edit a file with the VOB extension (example: 123ABC.VOB). Slowes my system dramatically. Same file runs fine in Powerdirector 10. So far I have found Cyberlinks helps system totally cumberson. I initially provided them the CD serial number (Key) etc and the only response from Cyberlink was a request for the same info, and a JPG of the CD and the sales receipt. TO BE CONTINUED.

January 20, 2013

Cyberlink contacted me with assistance. Finially concluded that the issue was that the file had been created in PowerDirector 10 and then later imported into PowerDirector 11. Other "VOB" files imported into 11 work fine in 11.

1.0 out of 5 stars The featureset is worthless due to application instability, May 18, 2013
This review is from: Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I am an IT professional and application designer. My host machine's hardware FAR exceeds the requirements and the OS is well cared for. App installed without incident, but then after launching was so unstable as to be unusable. Cyberlink, if you are reading this (and all the reviews from other customers complaining about stability issues) take heed that all the features in the world are useless if the app will not run long enough to accomplish your goals.

Potential customers, pay careful attention to all the warnings from other reviewers about the (lack of) stability for this app. In less than 20 minutes after install, I experienced three different modalities of failure. Not good. Not good at all. Uninstalled and will not try this app again unless the reviews improve considerably in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Software doesn't work and support cost extra!!!, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I gave this product 1 star because you can't give a zero. I have a brand new highly powerful computer that is more than capable of running the software, but I can never get more than about 10 seconds into using the software before it crashes. I've tried everything I can think of to make the program work and nothing works. So I tried to contact their customer support. They have a number for people with "installation issues". I called the number and was told by the woman (who spoke heavily accented English and was very difficult to understand) that I have a "technical issue" and that in order to get technical support I need to go to the support web site and pay $30 for a two month support account. So I just bought buggy software now I need to pay more in order to make it work. That's a nice business model. I'm very upset and will never purchase anything from Cyberlink again. I can understand if problems come up from time to time getting software up and running but charging people who just bought your product for help is REALLY low class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: CYberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate, March 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I begin my review, I want to say that I've used a number of video editing packages. My favorite, by far, was Adobe Premiere (NOT Elements, the full blown program). It wasn't easy to learn...there are depths within depths in that software. But it was strong. I've heard Final Cut is also pretty awesome for Apple, but haven't ever tried it.

When I got PowerDirector, I wasn't expecting much. I figured it was another prosumer piece of software, designed to be easy, quick and without very many bells and whistles. Boy, was I wrong! This package is very strong. I installed it (took about half an hour for the software and its other components), imported some stills and some video and got to work.

If you have learned Premiere, you'll be comfortable here pretty quickly. Everything is where you would expect it to be...right-click on a clip and you can change properties, adjust it, white balance, split and move. I had a video ready for rendering about ten minutes into using the program. It rendered a 1 minute video in about 20 seconds. Ooops, video clip early on was flat and I'd muted the audio. Went back, set it for anti-aliasing, white balanced and sharpened it and re-rendered. Now it was about 30 seconds to render and the output was beautiful. Oops, forgot the audio mute. Rerender (now about 35 seconds) and it was perfect.

The stills looked perfect, the audio was sharp and I felt like I had to tools to futz with the audio. The timeline has 2 tracks but you can add more if you need to.

The only wrinkle to the process was that this was the 'Ultimate' edition, which is supposed to include Color Director and Audio Director. They are included, but only as 30 day trials. When I click on the buy link to see the price, I saw why. They were both over $100. Not really necessary...but thanks anyhow.

All in, if you are looking for a solid editing package and don't want to pay for (and then have to learn) Adobe Premiere, this is a rock solid editor that I expect I will be using for some time to come!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CYBERLINK!, April 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can't comment on the pros and cons of this video editing software because I never could get it to install on my computer(kept getting an error message., even after numerous emails to Cyberlink customer service. They are literally the worst I have dealt with for any problem I've had to call to get help. You virtually have to jump through hoops just to get anywhere and then they treat you like you're a criminal. First, I contacted amazon back and they said I need to contact Cyberlink, before they replace the software. And by criminal I mean they first wanted me to take a picture of the error message I was getting and email it to them. I did and then they said they never received it, even though I've sent hundreds of pictures via email before and never had a problem. They accused me of trying to pull a fast one. Yeah, I'm sure I'm going to waste my time making up a story than I'm getting an error message from my video editing software so I can get a free one when I'm more than willing to send the defective copy back. Jeez.

Secondly, they wanted to see proof that I had purchased this from amazon and that I had contacted amazon about the problem. And while all of this is going on they are not getting in any hurry to respond.... as in several days between responses, each time making this stretch out for about 2 montsh total. The bottom line is cyberlink sucks **** and would not replace the disc. But yet they told me to send the disc back and they would replace it. Well, after 2 weeks of waiting I contacted them, yet again, wanting to know where the replacement was and they said that not only did they not receive the defective disc back, but they had no record of me ever contacting them. WHAT?! A CROCK!! Talk about criminals! So, I told them they can take the defective disc and their awful customer service and see if it will fit between the crack of their "beep". Never ever again will I own a Cyberlink product, even if it's free. In the end amazon couldn't help me out because I received this product free in the first place as part of amazon's vine review program and since amazon didn't have any more to send I was S.O.L. Pray you don't get a defective product from Cyberlink(and pay good money for it) because there's a good chance you'll go through the same crap with them I did. Avoid Cyberlink!

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Ready for Introduction, November 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update:

I uninstalled this software and cleaned the registry for a fresh installation. Previously I had Version 10 installed and when I installed this latest version, version 10 was uninstalled. So I thought maybe some files from Version 10 were not completely uninstalled and were not compatible with this newest release. This time I did not update the Version 11 software from the internet; I just used the software on the disk that came in the retail box.

I managed to render the AVCHD HD video I had trouble with a few days ago. I am just trying to get all the way through to a finished disk now. When I tried to burn the project to a disk, the software crashed within a few minutes and exited me out of the program entirely. It asked me to send an error report. So I rendered it again, but this time just for normal DVD quality. It certainly wasn't as good as the original HD video, but it worked. When I produced the video for a Blu-ray disk, the video had some flaws. About three or four minutes from the beginning, the video snagged or froze a fraction of a second. And later, the audio snagged, too. Another place, there was a horizontal snow bar that flashed briefly. None of this was on the original video. It was produced by this software during rendering. I compiled the same video in a competitive product and it did not have these undesirable artifacts.

Next I compiled some video clips that were taken with my Canon D5 Mark II camera. The HD video format produced is .mov files, not AVCHD. I didn't try to insert transitions - just plain video clips to join together. And again - disappointment. While it was rendering, suddenly the video turn solid green for one entire clip and then return to normal when the next clip started. And when I viewed the rendering, the green segment was really there. Again, I rendered the exact same files with a competitive product and the rendering was perfect.

However the real challenge is when it comes time to burn a DVD or Blu-ray disk. This is where most all the video editors fail. I finally had to download a free disk build and burn program called ImgBurn. This is a great program I've used for years. I was able to burn a rewritable Blu-ray disk with ImgBurn, but not from within PowerDirector. PowerDirector complained that the disk was incompatible. But ImgBurn had no difficulty at all burning the exact same rendering.

My system has Windows 7 64 bit OS, an Intel i7 920 CPU, 12 GB of 1866 MHz RAM, an OCZ SATA III 120 GB SSD dedicated for the OS, a RAID 0 pair of VelociRaptor disks with 500 GB of storage for the source video, and a Corsair 128 GB SSD for target storage. I am not over-clocking. My system is rock stable - never crashes or BSOD. I used PowerDirector 10 last week to do the very same project using an AVCHD video stream from my Canon Camcorder and it worked fine.

Below is my prior experience a few days ago. I have normally been using Sony Vegas 8 and DVD Architect for the past few years and it always works. Recently I installed Pinnacle and it works well, also.
------------------------
I am moving my original review to the end of the comments section. You can read it there if you want to see my original issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars The editing is smooth but the program will not let me produce a final product!, June 12, 2013
I really love the editing features, it is easy to use and get to that the final step. That is when this product falls apart! Every time I get to the final step to produce a DVD, send to YouTube, or anything, the program shuts down. It is so frustrating, I wouldn't buy it waiting for them to get this right, buy another product! It could be good if they actually addressed the problems!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with one major flaw for me, January 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Powedirector since V9 on my older desktop which was running an Athlon Phenom 6 core processor and 1GB Geforce graphics card. It was slow at times for certain rendering of video especially with Youtube content but the program has always done well for me. I recently upgraded my desktop to a new I7 with a Geforce 660 TI with 2GB of RAM and was hoping for faster editing and encoding. This is where the flaw kicked in.

I am not sure who "owns" this issue but what happens is that when trying to edit video with V11 (and V10 for that matter) on my new computer, the rendering of the preview screen constantly buffers making it impossible to edit video. I did a lot of web searches and found that their is a major compatibility issue with Powerdirector and the newer GeForce cards which is causing the issue. I;ve read that it is the fault of nVidia as well as the fault of Cyberlink. I don't really care who is at fault but apparently the issue has never been fixed and its been many months since these GeForce 6xx cards have been out.

Luckily for me, there is a workaround where I can open the nVidia control panel and shut off something called CUDA under the 3d gaming section. Once that is done, the software works pefectly and I get very fast rendering and encoding of video in any format I choose, including Youtune (Youtube vids take about twice the time as the video...so 20 minutes to encode for a 10 minute video...this is much faster than before).

The problem with shutting down the CUDA option, from what I understand, is that it affects 3d gaming so any hardcore computer gamers would need to switch this on and off depending on what they are doing. Hopefully someone will resolve this. Maybe a driver update for the cards or a software patch from Cyberlink but I have checked and nothing is available at the time of this writing.

Without the above issue, this upgrade it not mandatory for those running V10 so don't feel like you are missing out on anything great.

Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate
Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate by Cyberlink (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$129.95 $55.00