Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 10, 2009
This book is an excellent reference for cyclists looking to add strength training to their routines. It is very well organized into sections showing the different sections of the body the exercises are for. Each exercise itself is documented to show you exactly what it will be working and how it helps your cycling form. It also shows you variations of each exercise which are often easier versions of the original exercise.

The one area that could possibly be improved on is that it does not have a section that really gives you a workout program and the author calls this out in the first chapter and that the goal of the book is to help show you proper exercises and how to do them. This is good, but I find that, for beginners it might be helpful to have a small section showing how to use all these exercises in a routine to get maximum benefit. It is important to note that I said "for beginners" in that last sentence since this book is really for more advanced cyclists and as such the missing prescribed workouts section is not something I really miss that much. Personally I am looking at using these in a hybrid/modified version of the P-90X program combined with the The Cyclist's Training Bible

Buy this if you are a cyclist looking on taking your training up a notch. Particularly if you are looking to add exercises you can do in a gym, off the road, out of the dark in a season like the winter.
Don't buy this if you are a beginner looking for a book to help you get started in cycling or to get started on training a bit more seriously since this book is aimed at more serious cyclists.
on September 5, 2011
As a massage therapist, I use this book daily, I actually have almost every book of the series. Because when you know exactly what muscles is used during certain activities, you can give more effective help during massage
on February 22, 2011
I bought this book based on the reviews that stated the pictures were well drawn and showed what muscle groups were being used for specific exercises. Well, they were not lying. The pictures are large, colorful, and show exactly what muscles you are stretching for a warm up or exercise. The writers give very short (to the point), but detailed advice on how to perform each exercise correctly. Sometimes, they give you an alternative way of performing an exercise if the first suggestion is too difficult for a novice to perform.

The one thing I wish they had done was to write, in layman's terms, the names of each muscle group. This would make it easier for me to talk about each group of muscles to others. The terms they use are for professionals, and they are sometimes hard to pronounce. Otherwise, the pictures do the trick for showing one what muscle or muscle groups one is working.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, and highly recommend buying this book if you want to strengthen you muscles for riding.
on September 24, 2011
I wanted to add a little balance to the otherwise glowing reviews of this book. I agree with most if not all of the positive comments made in the other reviews. The diagrams are clear and the instructions for each exercise concise and easy to follow. I also think the variations listed for each exercise to be a nice touch. The basic physiology discussion also seems to be clear and concise. So far so good......

Now for the criticism. This book is incomplete. There is absolutely no discussion about how to combine these exercises into a workable program. Which exercises should I choose? How many times a week should I work out? How many reps, sets of each exercise should be done. How should I modify the program over time? None of these topics is covered at all. You are left with a long list of possibilities and absolutely no guidance on how to combine them. The author mentions in early in chapter one that the discussion of constructing specific workout routines is "beyond the scope of this book". Well it shouldn't be. In fact in my opinion at least half of the book should be devoted to this topic with several example routines included.

Also while the presentation is quite clear, if you have ever lifted weights before there is very little in the way of new or unique exercises here. If you pick up any book on general fitness weight training you will see a very similar list of exercises. The idea that this book contains cycle specific training is a bit of a stretch. For example I am sure I use my biceps while riding but listing curls as a "cycle specific" exercise seems a bit much. Really this book is just a collection of exercises that (when combined somehow.....) give you a general conditioning program.

Include material on workout design and implementation and you have a 5 star book. Without it you are left with something that presents little new information beyond what you could find doing a couple of Google searches.
on April 5, 2014
This is the book you want if you want to train specifically for bicycling. It explains the function of the muscles, what exercises strengthen which muscle, and how all that is relevant specifically to bicycling.
on January 12, 2013
Well written. This book gives me exactly what I need to know about which muscles are involved in cycling. Good tips and suggestions on workouts. Shannon did quite well in explaining the physiology and mechanics of riding. Definitely a keeper and I highly recommend this book as you prepare for your rides and subsequent workouts.
on October 31, 2013
This book has helped my cycling SO much! I have a much better understanding of what muscle to stretch pre and post ride, as well as knowing which muscle groups to focus on to reach specific goals. A must have for any cyclist!
on July 5, 2009
A must have for any cycling fan! Whether you're thinking about taking your first spin class at the gym or trying to move up in the GC in the next Tour stage, you'll want to read Cycling Anatomy. Dr. Sovndal lays out the necessary ground work for you to get the most out of your body no matter what your level of fitness. Even after 20 years of cycling, I couldn't believe how much I learned! Keep them coming!
on October 2, 2014
I actually take this book to the gym with me in my gym bag. I refer to it so that I can visually match machine to the right muscle groups. I have done full and metric centuries, and the first to go is shoulders and lower back. The book breaks down these areas as they match the motion you make on the bike. Core work, from shoulders to hip flexors is essential - something I did not realize before, until I referred to this book. It would be neat if there was a digital version so that I could load the diagrams on my cell phone. Otherwise, I look like a bookworm with the book lying open on the ground as I am doing the rowing machine. :-)
on January 9, 2014
The Sports Anatomy books (in general) are all very good. I see my husband referring to this and his other two books (Running Anatomy and Swimming Anatomy) on a regular basis. He is an avid marathoner who used to swim in high school. He is now branching into training for an Iron Man. As a physician, he believes knowledge about proper, sport-specific mechanics and training is your best defense against sports injury. I would recommend these books to anyone who is serious about learning the proper way to train and move in their sport of choice.