5.0 out of 5 stars 'I'm Gonna Be Strong'
Published on September 18, 2012 by zombiederek

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book
Cyndi has always been a favorite fo me. The book was an easy read and entertaining. It was interesting to see what her private life was like
Published 22 months ago by rmarge

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I'm Gonna Be Strong', September 18, 2012
This review is from: Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Cyndi's track 'I'm Gonna Be Strong' could've easily been an alternate title for her book, detailing many intimate looks at her life. This novel is a must read for any Lauper fan or if you're just wanting a deepr look at the woman behind her music. Pain, love, life have been the subjects of her songs for many years, and Lauper and Dunn have so well crafted her life and those subjects in her life into words. I'm 25 years old and wasn't even around for most of Cyndi's heyday, but I've been a fan since the day I was born and I've so often wondered what has inspired her lifestyle, lyrics, music, etc and this book gets right to the point with it all. Some of the things she's gone through surprised me; What she really endured to become successful. Some of her stories downright made me laugh, some almost seemed unreal to picture. Within this detailed look at her life lies her background, her roots, her memories of heartache, love and life. Whether you're a Lauper enthusiast or a casual fan, you won't want to miss this fantastic story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you start reading it you can't put it down, September 18, 2012
Her life story reads like a novel that you can't put down. So true. It's a fascinating book. Very visual and compelling. You can hear Cyndi's talking about her life. A must read! It was so tempting that I read it within 1 day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Across the Universe, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir (Hardcover)
As an admirer of Ms Lauper's since her ground breaking 80's "She's So Unusual", I was excited to see her Memoir come into existence. It seems there are few celebrities in our world like she. A person, who did her thing, and has done what she was called to do, and made a living doing so. The brillance of Ms Lauper, unlike Madonna, who I am a fan of for other reasons, is she is a more "human" celebrity. Instead of going with a "universal" trend, she did, and is doing her thing. I beleive she understands we are all celebrities, and are in this Universe to do what we are called to do.

I recently received her Memoir, and with the first couple of chapters, I am hooked. Especially with the "crazy" things she said or did in her younger years, and her response of "I think it scared" people, showing understanding herself, and not wanting to upset her fellow human beings. Or a classic line like "wow, look what God did to his son, Jesus, Now imagine what he's doing to do to me. I'm not even related."

She get's she is human, a celebrity, but nothing, and everything, special. I beleive she understands we all are. If only we could all think the same way!

I thoroughy recommend her Memoir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for a Cyndi Lauper Fan, September 21, 2012
This review is from: Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir (Hardcover)
This book is a must read for anybody who is a fan of Cyndi Lauper. In her characteristic style, she tells her story honestly and with humor. It's rare for me to laugh out loud when reading a book, but there were so many times that I was laughing while reading this that I lost count. The reader comes away knowing exactly what is important to Cyndi because she tells you directly whether you like it or not. She's not in your face about her beliefs, but she doesn't back down and will stand up and speaks out when she sees the need. Whether you agree with her or not, you can't help but admire her honesty, directness, and unwavering desire to do what is right. There are moments when the book is shocking, but it's never for sensationalism - it always reveals something personal that gives insight into her personality and motivations. I've been a Cyndi Lauper fan for as long as I can remember, and after reading this book I can't help but be a bigger fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars sneak peek inside her life..., September 20, 2012
i was around for her wild days of girls just wanna have fun.it makes me kinda sad to see everything she had to go through with record labels and in her personal life.no one can put this very talented woman in a certain catagory, as you can see with her music.love this book and this woman keep on rocking cyndi

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant story, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Cyndi Lauper's autobiography begins with her running away from home to escape her step-father the sexual predator. Things don't get much better for her for quite some time- some truly horrific things happen to her on her way to success. And success is illusive- for all Lauper's hard work, hit records, and Grammy nominations, she has never become as rich and famous as one would think she should be.

Recognition didn't come to Lauper until she was thirty. Through her twenties, she worked menial jobs, sang in cover bands, and was never taken seriously, even by her own band mates- she was even sexually assaulted by some of them. She gave free rein to her eccentric style (which has been copied endlessly) and didn't pull any punches about what she thought, and these habits didn't endear her to record execs. And so much of the time, she just has had plain bad luck. It's not that she is blaming fate for her own short fallings; she readily admits when she screws up. This woman never stops working, and, I suspect, never will. Her creative force is just too strong. She describes how she works, and it's remarkable how she dissects music and puts it back together in new ways.

The book is written like you're sitting down with Lauper, listening to her tell her story. She narrates with an immediacy that puts you right in the scene. She also digresses like she were sitting in front of you talking. This is not a dry, moment by moment biography! I highly recommend this if you're a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars "i always say the wrong things to the right people", October 6, 2012
its like you're really seeing the world through Cyndi's eyes and what a magical way to view a journey that is at times heartbreaking, impoverished, uniquely new york, dangerous and painfully sexist. this memoir is as good as they get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Hanging Out with Cyndi, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I loved this book. Cyndi is so funny and strong and real. It's written like she talks. Sometimes it meanders but even the tangents are interesting. I read it every night. Now that I'm done, I'm going to miss hanging out with her!

5.0 out of 5 stars She's is so unusual, September 24, 2012
Robertuccio (San Francisco, CA, US) - See all my reviews
but in the best possible way. It's incredible to see that she has gone through so much and yet remains a very positive person who wants to help others.
I especially enjoyed the conversational style, it really feels like she's talking to you -and only you- at times.
I always liked her music but I had no idea that she sang the Blues.
This book has a very positive message not only for women and young LGBT people but also for those of us who could use a little of inspiration to try and help others and make a difference in the world.
Way to go Cyndi and thank you for all you've done for us!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, February 1, 2013

Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir
Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir by Jancee Dunn (Hardcover - September 18, 2012)
$26.00 $18.17