5.0 out of 5 stars No matter how someone translate this, it was a war!
Published 5 months ago by Darlene Cruz

1.0 out of 5 stars This edition not worth the investment
Published 7 months ago by C. Bailey

1.0 out of 5 stars This edition not worth the investment, June 2, 2014
This review is from: D-Day Illustrated Edition: June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II (Hardcover)
I examined this book in a bookstore because I am interested in everything D-Day. I was not impressed with the paper quality of the pages, the quality and numbers of the pictures, or the price for what you get. The book is too big and bulky to read for extended times. You would be much better off buying the original book and using your remaining funds on a separate D-Day atlas or book devoted to D-Day pictures. This book is aimed at D-Day impulse shoppers like me who will buy anything about D-Day. But i am not taking the bait on this one.

My rating is for this edition only. Ambrose's text is easily 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars No matter how someone translate this, it was a war!, August 28, 2014
When I saw the size of this book I was so surprised. The pictures displayed nicely and the oral history recorded were astounding. No matter how someone translate this, it was war. Everyone has a point of view, we are going to perceive this either inaccurate or bias all I know I enjoyed the history of it. The battles, the agony and the politics which is not a surprise. The seriousness of this book tells me how our brave men served and protect us for what we have now, freedom. My heart felt heavy at times looking through each page and the trails of heroic actions. Gammon grenades down the barrels, French 75mm, Air Reconnaissance, barbed wires, British 3rd Division, German reserves and reinforcements, French Resistance, Russian Ost battalion, U.S. Airborne and Infantry divisions and Rangers and so many more to mention. I just hinted a teeny tiny bit of what to expect in this book, so much history, so much sorrow, yet brave beyond the imagination. I will not go further to detail this book because I am not an expert on the subject I just want you to know the book was a tremendous lesson about our history of involvement and participation in war. Thank you I won this book on Goodreads First Read Giveaway. Sorry I took so long writing a review, I was just apprehensive about what I should write, this is such a sensitive subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classy re-print of a classic D-Day account., December 7, 2014
navynut (Clifton Park, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Despite what some reviewer said,this book is well produced. And most importantly the photos are mostly new ones, not a rehash of the stock D-Days pics most books have. I have an extensive D-Day library and many of these images are new to me. I had the original book and lost it(don't loan books to co-workers!), so decided to replace it with this edition. It was a wise decision. The late Stephen Ambrose would be proud of this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars So readable and informative!, June 24, 2014
I purchased this book recently and it is exactly what I was looking for prior to a trip to Normandy. It is scholarly but very readable. The author includes anecdotes from first-person accounts that are so interesting. The print is large and there are many photos. I own a number of books about D Day and have a personal interest in reading what my father and other brave Americans did. This book is a great overview of one of history's most important days, and it was written by one of the foremost historians of World War II.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 7, 2014
Chilling but heartwarming explanation of the sacrifices of our fathers and grandfathers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 3, 2014
Best D-Day book yet. Photos are great, writing is very detailed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 19, 2014
My husband was very pleased with this book

3.0 out of 5 stars The book was supposed to be like new but the inside binding was cracked & coming ..., July 5, 2014
M. Lehr "MLehr" (Sacramento, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
The book was supposed to be like new but the inside binding was cracked & coming apart & the jacket was somewhat tattered. Not a big problem but a bit embarrassing as this was a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!, December 4, 2014
William G. West (Dallas Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Great History in unbelievable detail!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 9, 2014
John C. Fagan (Oak Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Great price and great service.

D-Day Illustrated Edition: June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II