5.0 out of 5 stars Great little switch - elegant packet switching
I was looking for a small, low-power, reliable little 8-port gigabit enabled switch with auto mdi/mdix.. and I found it. The unit runs very cool, is completely silent, and sits eloquently in the background. Before I purchased this, I reviewed Linksys (aka Cisco), Trendnet, HP, and a few others options for aggregate throughput, buffer RAM, power usage, etc...
Published on June 21, 2011 by D. Dean

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in 35 Days - D-Link Warranty is a Laugh a Minute
Published 15 months ago by Ethics in Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little switch - elegant packet switching, June 21, 2011
This review is from: D-Link 8-Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1008G) (Personal Computers)

The Dlink DGS-1008G is right at the top of the pack with 16Gbps backplane and 11.9 million packets per second, which roughly translates to .703 Gigabits of sustained throughput, which should be around 87.875MBps (MegaBytes, not bits). Keep in mind that 1Gbps = 125MB of throughput. Not any consumer switches I have found out there that can sustain this data rate. This is one of the highest throughput switches available in 8-port consumer, with HP and Trendnet second and third (in that order).

Worked perfect out of the box. I made up a few more Cat5e cables and away I went. Now if Dlink would only combine this switch with a wireless router and a WAN port!!! THAT would be awesome.

Update 06-26-11: Now that I have had time to test this out, I can get about 84-85 Megabytes per second of throughput, close to the numbers i mentioned above. Tested using iperf/jperf with TCP/UDP. Make sure to set all devices to jumbo frames to get this throughput. I went into network adapter settings and changed the default packet size to 9K MTU. Changed my Synology NAS for 9K also.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in 35 Days - D-Link Warranty is a Laugh a Minute, April 12, 2013
Connected and ran fine, died in just 35 days. The device is on a UPS and APCC CAT 5 network protection. I have three other D-link devices no issues of earlier models. I am not impressed with this model. Tech support was a joke. I substituted a known good switch but D-Link support (a person who could barely speak English) kept trying to follow a trouble shooting script. After 15 minutes of trying to communicate the issue, the phone connection dropped. Another call back to finally have a support person issue an RMA via email. I received the RMA information. You pay the return (about $12 for shipping). You will get a repaired/refurb product in return. I paid $35 for the D-Link and it is on sale now for $27. I would not pay another $12 for a bad product set and wait 2 to 4 weeks for the turn-around. Instead, I bought the Net Gear for $39 less $18 rebate, less $12 not paid to ship back the D-Link plus $.50 to mail rebate slip; net cash flow cost is $17.50 and the Net Gear will arrive in 2 days. I will not buy another D-Link device.

4/15/2013: The saga continues. What the heck, I just installed the new Netgear and it runs great. So for laughs, I went through the D-Link RMA process only to discover that the D-Link Limited Lifetime Warranty is a laugh a minute. If you want to RMA the switch, you must send back everything that was included in the original box or face additional charges for missing items as follows:

"Please ship your product to:
D-Link Systems, Inc.
2901 South Harbor Blvd
Santa Ana, CA 92704
Please be sure to include the following items:
1 x DGS-1005G
1 x AC Power Adapter ($10.00)
1 x Mounting Screws ($10.00)
1 x QIG ($5.00)
1 x Copy of Proof Of Purchase
Please return all listed bill of materials, failure to do so will result in the billing of your credit card for the missing parts at standard replacement pricing."

Well, since the mounting screws use plastic mollies that cannot easily be removed from the wall without damage, that's a $10 charge. And who keeps the manual for a dumb switch (connect power, insert ethernet cables - done) so that's another $5, and shipping for a 1 pound box with tracking is about $12 ($39 for Express USPS).

So, to use the D-Link "Limited Lifetime Warranty" will cost you $27 for a switch that was just on sale for $27. Surprise! Boy, I would love to be the vendor supplying D-Link with 2 mounting screws and plastic inserts for $10! Maybe they haven't heard of a hardware store!
Let's hear it for D-Link folks, consumer friendly to the core of their pocket book! I plan to make a video of the D-Link being crushed by a sledge hammer before being taken to the dump for electronic recycling. Caveat Emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best switch for the money, December 13, 2010
Richard A. Nathan (Idaho Falls, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic product. It's hard for some reason to find a good Gigabit Switch. Most consumer switches are 10/100, not 10/100/1000, and they sell for the same price or more than the D-Link. Prior to this, I was using several Dell 2708 switches. They ran flawlessly but are large and heavy (and made of metal). This product is tiny, mostly plastic, light, and runs cool. I also like the power saving features. The D-Link 5-port Switches, at half the price, are an excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Switch., November 20, 2010
Chris V. (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Going from a NetGear to this was like moving from Detroit to the Swiss Alps. Nice and small, yet great build quality. Internet performance is more solid than with other switches I've tried over the years. One huge plus is, it doesn't get hot like the others. Good job D-Link another top-notch product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty? What Warranty?, July 10, 2013
Stephen M. Prescott (Minneapolis, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
I have four D-Link switches. Two of them are this model and they have all worked fine until this one failed yesterday. It comes with a 'lifetime warranty' or so they say.

After over an hour trying to understand one of their phone techs (well, I don't hear so well so it's not entirely her fault), I was e-mailed a link where I can setup an RMA. When I read that they expect not only the unit itself and the power brick but also the CD-Rom and 'bracket' (which I must have thrown out because I didn't really need a bracket), I assumed I could send them what I do have with a note and things would be handled according to the normal give and take that prevails or ought to prevail. So I drove to the Post Office and got a flat rate box with which to return this stuff, checked my e-mail before going back out the door to mail it and found another e-mail from D-Link with a little reminder which I quote:

Please be sure to include the following items:
1 x DGS-1008G
1 x AC Power Adapter ($10.00)
1 x CD-Rom (manual, QIG, drivers) ($12.00)
1 x Bracket ($20.00)
1 x Copy of Proof Of Purchase

This is not subtle. And, by the way, what do they know about my credit card? What's going on here?

Go ahead and buy this product, be happy with it and when it fails, buy a new one. The warranty is just an invitation to play games with D-Link.

And it did fail.

UPDATE: In the end, I did send the broken switch back to D-Link and I'll give you both the good and bad on that. The good is that they did send me a replacement and it works. The bad -- perhaps that's too strong, say 'not so good' -- is that I purchased a new identical unit thinking that I'd take the bracket that came with it and send it back with the broken unit thus fulfilling their requirement. Well, the new one did not come with any bracket. Then I looked up the 'what's in the box' thing on Amazon and no bracket is listed as coming with this product at all. So they tell you to send a bracket or pay but I sent it in with no bracket anyway -- with a note -- and got lucky. Some days the ball bounces in your favor. But how many of their customers did not claim the warranty because they were discouraged by the phantom bracket?

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy and works great, December 29, 2010
Been wanting to add more Ethernet ports for a while and never knew the difference between a router and switch. Already had two routers for each service I use [have a backup since I work from home]. Did a lot of research on switches and routers and always had good luck with D-Link, and their routers and switches get good reviews, so I got a 5 port and an 8 port and they both work great and really expanded the use of my wired internet. Have not noticed any decrease in speed by adding the switches and all you have to do is plug it in, hook the cord [I use Cat6] from the router to the #1 slot and connect away.

5.0 out of 5 stars SAME WIRES, DIFF SWITCH, BETTER RESULTS!!!!, March 8, 2011
Replaced my old Linsys Gigabit Switch with this one and "NOW I'M FLYING". "NOT ALL GIGABIT SWITCHES ARE CREATED EQUALLY!" This delivers higher than expected performance and exceeds my high expectations. I own a total of three D-Link gigabit switches. All outperforms my other Linksys versions. Get this and stop shopping, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great switch for the price, June 8, 2011
James Sherhart (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
All of the wireless devices on my home network were killing overall performance as I had simply outgrown the 5 port 10/100 switch integrated into my wireless G router. I tried a few N and dual-band routers that had integrated GigE switches hoping this would address my performance issue, but none of these had acceptable range and would consistently drop the signal beyond 40 feet.

Read the reviews on this switch and figured I'd give it a shot for $40 and have been very happy. Home NAS (Drobo FS) and home server (Macbook Pro) are now on full GigE and I have full GigE to office, master bedroom and family room devices. Most devices - like Wii and Apple TV2 - are still 10/100, but the performance of 100Mbit wired over wireless is a huge improvement. Apple TV now takes a fraction of the time to load movie directories and start movies off the Drobo FS compared to old setup that had 10/100 from Drobo to Mac and wireless from Mac to Apple TV.

Bottom line: Great switch for the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 3 months, July 20, 2012
Dead after 3 months. Tried to contact D-link, but no response to emails. I guess D-link is not what it used to be.

Update: Finally got up with D-link, and got an RMA number. The instructions are for me to send the switch, AC adapter, CD-ROM, bracket, and proof of purchase back to them. I no longer have the bracket or CD-ROM, so they want to charge my credit card a $32 fee for not including these, plus I have to pay the shipping. LOL, forget it D-link! I am taking my business elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars What not to like?, April 10, 2011
Its small, fast, reliable and sleek. Not stackable because of its rounded top. Looks nice with my home stereo setup and its lights are not annoying because they are on top and not facing forward. Never need to reset this device. Lights indicate whether a device is connected at 100 or 1000.

Rate and Discover Movies