D-Link ADSL2+ Modem Router (DSL-520B)
Price:$46.59 + Free shipping

on January 1, 2013
I was having slow DSL performance and wanted to replace a Verizon provided DSL modem with something that could show me at least my DSL line was running well. My criteria was to find a DSL modem that supported the later standards (ADSL2+ Annex M, etc), at least have some sort of recent support (datasheets or firmware dated within past 2 or 3 years) and have full statistics. As another reviewer mentioned, there's not a lot to choose from overall.

This modem fit the bill for me, it has detailed WAN, ATM, ADSL statistics that at least showed me my local loop was clean. It supports OAM and BERT tests.

There doesn't seem (as of this review anyway) any firmware updates from DLink, so whatever is loaded is basically what you get. It seems likely this is because there is some country specific firmware.

The manual shows settings for Internet Time (NTP) which is missing in my firmware and can't set the time, This is a little annoying when looking at the logfile and trying to understand when an event happened.

My DSL performance issues didn't change with this modem and it turns out it was a Verizon issue, which they have now fixed. I see many reviews for various DSL or cable modems which claim to have solved performance, but I would caution problems can always be somewhere else. The statistics from this modem, plus some detailed speed tests I ran, made me confident the problem was not on my side of the wire.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2011
Let's be honest, there isn't much diversity in the market for dsl modems. After trying 2Wire's that have poor network functions, Motorola's that don't stay connected, and Netgear's that fail after 6 months I decided to give this D-Link a try. It came with an install cd which I of course chunked and used the web interface so I can not tell you about the install cd. The web interface has a, "quick setup" menu which avoids a lot of technical network terminology but still had a ton of options in other areas including DHCP and NAT functions so you don't necessarily have to have a separate router to use it with multiple computers. It was very easy to bridge with my existing router (which was the only way I could figure out to get the modem to stop blocking ports and let the other router handle it) and did not have the connection issues Motorola's seem to have with a bridged router handling the login info for your internet service. If you need help configuring it D-Link provides a 800 number inside the box. Overall this modem seems to be well-made, holds a connection well, and performs better than many out-dated models still on the market.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2013
I bought this DSL modem to replace a Westell 327W DSL modem/wireless G router that I got when I signed up for my Verizon home DSL six years ago. We live in a rural area and are toward the end of the recommended distance from the switching station for a DSL line. The Westell was very unreliable and would drop out the connection to the internet regularly and often needed to be re-booted to reconnect. It was especially bad when the weather was less than a perfect sunny day. This unit, the 520B is rock solid. I have had it for about a month so far, during which time we have had severe rain and thunderstorms - including lightning strikes - and it has not even skipped a beat. The unit was easy to install with the included software and it automatically self-updates via the signals sent from your ISP so it is a true "set it and forget it" kind of device (as it should be), but access to manually configure the unit is great also should you ever need it. The VPN pass through feature is faster and more reliable than the Westell was - much needed for me as when I telework I have to connect into the company network via a VPN connection.

I have a Linksys EA 4500 wireless router connected to the modem and the two work flawlessly together as well. The EA 4500 is the hub of a fairly complex wired/wireless home network with multiple wired nodes, two router/wireless access points, an eight port switch and one wireless signal repeater/range extender. At maximum usage, there are four computers, two wireless printers, two Android phones and two Android tablets on the network running through the network and utilizing the modem at once and I never sense any traffic hitches or slow down issues. I am very pleased with this product in both price and performance.
on September 11, 2013
I JUST got this modem to connect, and I have a little advice for people calling tech support:

If you're like me, you didn't write down your DSL password because you NEVER need to know it. Big mistake. After this, you'll write it down somewhere.

Now, the people at Verizon are not going to be used to supporting a different modem than the one they issue. Also, when they look up information on this modem they're going to be looking at outdated information. So you'll be doing the heavy lifting.

To get the modem to work, use the CD that came with the modem to initiate automatic network configuration. Next, get your DSL username and password from your ISP... this is the hard part.

After that, make SURE the DSL and Internet lights are on. If they are you're DONE with the modem. You hear me? DONE. They'll wind you round and round in circles and you'll just keep rebooting it.

Try to connect to the Internet. If you can't, the problem is in your NETWORK settings. Go to your network card properties and click configure. When the Window pops up with all of the networking protocols, click on IP Version 4. Make sure at this time that it says "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically".

Click okay and close the dialog boxes.

Right click on your network adapter and click status. This will force the network card to refresh it's status and everything should work properly.

Congratulations, you figured it out.
on April 22, 2014
I just needed a basic, simple, stable DSL modem that I could put into bridged mode and connect to an ASUS AC66U. After doing a lot of research I purchased this thinking it would last, and it did...for about 2 months. It worked fine for those 2 months, but suddenly out of nowhere one day we start getting connection issues. I had changed nothing on my end so I found this very strange. After trying all kinds of modem/router resetting, confirming with my ISP that everything was working on their end, and all kinds of other trial and error, it turns out this unit had stopped functioning correctly. And based on some of the other reviews on this unit, this isn't uncommon. Note that I updated the firmware immediately after I took it out of the box.

Best of all, it died JUST after the return period ended, which is very disappointing because I buy quite a lot from Amazon. So now I'm stuck with this plastic useless brick. I never really trusted D-Link based on past experiences with their hardware, but I decided to give them a chance. I should have trusted my gut, and to top it off it sucks that Amazon won't help me out here either. In any case, avoid this piece of crap product.
on September 6, 2013
One star because this D-Link ADSL2+ Modem Router (DSL-520B) kept dropping the internet connection, and had trouble re-connecting. This frustrating, intermittent connection is worse than no connection at all since it is more difficult and time-consuming to troubleshoot.

After acquiring faster DSL service for my home that required an ADSL2 modem, I purchased the D-Link 520B from Amazon. (Never had a problem with the older ADSL1 modem or with the Linksys Wireless-Router connected to it.) Soon after we installed the D-Link 520B, my son and I started having problems maintaining an internet connection. At first we thought that maybe the Linksys Wireless-Router was starting to fail after many years of service, since I initially seemed to have good internet connection when I connected my computer directly to the D-Link 520B with an ethernet cable. So, for wireless, we tried using a recently purchased Airport Extreme from the office in place of the Linksys. Again,we encountered a problem with maintaining an internet connection. So I again connected my computer directly to the D-Link with an ethernet cable to double check on whether I truly had trouble-free connection when by-passing the wireless. This time, the internet connection was dropped after three or four minutes of use. We purchased and installed a different ADSL2+ Modem Router (obtained through LMI.net), and have had flawless internet access since (3 days now). At different times, we have used both the Linksys and the Airport Exterme with the new modem-router, and both work fine.

I am returning the D-Link ADSL2+ Modem Router DSL-520B to Amazon today. I greatly appreciate Amazon's enlightened, consumer friendly return policy, which is why I am plugging it here.
on October 20, 2014
I bought this modem, but unfortunately it did not work with dslextreme which uses ATT in my area (Los Angeles) for dsl. Both dslextreme and D-link where contacted and we could not make it work unfortunately. It also had the latest firmware as I checked to make sure. I should mention that D-Link support was nice and tried to help, although I don't think he was very familiar with this product. But he did try so at least you know a bit about how their support is.
on June 23, 2013
Small footprint, simple design, runs cooler than my old Motorola (cost less, too) and was easy to install...it just works. I opted for the manual install over the auto CD but the disc and instructions were easy to understand. I'd buy this modem again and that's the best recommendation I can offer.
on September 2, 2013
From my satisfactory experience, I am pleased with my purchase of the D-Link DSL-520B ADSL2+ and can recommend it. The software installed simply and smoothly; the modem itself performs well.

I bought the DSL-520B modem two months ago to replace a Westell 6100 (a C90-610030-06 no longer supported by Westell) which originally came with my subscription to BellSouth (now AT&T) DSL Broadband service (theoretically 3 Mbps down, 0.3 Mbps up) at the end of June 2007.

The Westell was continually dropping WiFi Internet connection via a Netgear N900 WNDR4500 router. I researched possible modem replacements and ultimately chose the D-Link DSL-520B for two main reasons: it had the fewest unfavorable reviews and, potentially, a simple setup.

I will admit that I bought the modem with some concern. I checked reviews on several other sites as well: a few reviewers reported its performance deficient or setup difficult or a compatibility problem with Windows Vista or 7, both of which I use. Furthermore, on-line I checked the DSL-520B user manual and wondered where I would obtain all the details required for what looked like a complicated manual configuration process -- if I had to resort to this means.

Fortunately, setup was really simple using the installation disk which came with the modem -- and emphasized by D-Link putting a large red label over the modem connection ports reading "STOP INSERT CD AND RUN WIZARD FIRST".

In my using the accompanying CD for configuration, the only details I needed were the User ID and Password, both of which came with the documents from the original DSL subscription. I followed the procedure in the Quick Setup Wizard and when finished the Internet connection worked almost immediately. Connections now work reliably, and have not had any more of the continual and annoying dropped connections I had experienced previously.
on August 11, 2014
This DSL modem works great with my CenturyLink DSL, although I had to manually configure the DSL modem for MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER)/DHCP (with LLC/Snap Bridging Encapsulation mode) to accept the DHCP protocol format from CenturyLink. Once I did that, the DSL modem Internet light came on and I was receiving high-speed Internet service for the first time. I also set up the DSL modem to enable the Firewall for security and the Network Address Translation (NAT) for my wired home Ethernet network. With all of that setup, my three PCs, printer, and HDTV all have Internet/network access. I contacted D-Link (and CenturyLink) support to help with this configuration because the auto connection would not work - they were very helpful and I got the DSL connection working two days after CenturyLink activated it. I needed to use DSL filters on the telephone equipment to minimize noise. I also got a great price on this D-Link DSL modem from Amazon (under $50), which turned out to be a lot cheaper and better than what Best Buy was trying to sell me.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations