Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now DOTD

on August 11, 2010
This would easily be a 5-star product with some minor improvements to setup documentation and configuration screens.

Pros:
* Great wireless range
* Compact design
* Reasonably fast re-boots as it is configured

Cons:
* In-box documentation is too skimpy for many people to set it up without a support call
* Configuration application lacks the supporting instructions supplied by other manufacturers (NetGear)
* A little pricey - but performance makes up for it

I use a LinkSys router in my home network, which has a default IP of 192.168.1.1. The DAP-2553 uses a default IP of 192.168.0.50, so have to change its IP to one that uses 192.168.1.x for it to work, and the in-box documentation does not tell you how do do this. Fortunately, D-Link's excellent product support got me going in a few minutes, and without grilling me about the product serial number or when I had purchased it (NetGear's support is a pain).

If you're setting up one of these on a LinkSys network, here's what you'll need to do:
* Connect your DAP-2553 directly to a computer using the enclosed Ethernet cable (with your computer's WiFi turned off)
* Manually set your computer's IP address to 192.168.0.54 (Go to Control Panel | Network | Change Adapter Settings, then right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties. Select Internet Protocol 4, then Properties, then Use the following IP address. Put in IP, leave Subnet mask at 255.255.255.0, and set Default gateway to 192.168.0.50 to reach your DAP-2553). Hit OK.
* Open a browser and point it to 192.168.0.50
* Log in using the DAP-2553's supplied login info, and go to Basic Settings | LAN
* Set IP address to 192.168.1.50 (this puts it on the map for your LinkSys router)
* Set the default gateway to your LinkSys router's address - probably 192.168.1.1
* Select Apply
* Remember to re-set your computer's IP address back to DHCP, or whatever it was before (Assuming you were using DHCP - Go to Control Panel | Network | Change Adapter Settings, then right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties. Select Internet Protocol 4, then Properties, then Obtain an IP address automatically). Hit OK.
* Disconnect your DAP-2553 from the computer and connect the DAP-2553 into your network.
* If it works, you should now find your DAP-2553 at 192.168.1.50 and be able to finish wireless configuration to your preferences.
* Rejoice.

Standard disclaimers apply. Good luck.
99 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2009
I have a 4,000 Square foot home, and was having numerous issues with 2.4GHZ wireless. Since I ran Cat6e in my house to all my current phone outlets, I really needed an 5GHZ AP that could receive power via Ethernet (POE)and that was not too costly. I looked at Cisco, but for $800, it is just too much. I picked up two of these DLink's for $300. I must say, for the features and performance, this is a Great product. I am now utilizing 802.11N in my house over 5GHZ band, and it works flawlessly. I have one AP in my basement and the other is in my master bedroom. By having both devices, I can be anywhere in my house and on my front porch and always have a strong signal.

The easy to use web interface only took me at most 15 minutes to setup both devices. Easy manageability with built in QoS and WPA2 Security.

I would recommend this product to anyone who needs just the feature of multiple or single AP's without the use of having a router also.
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2013
Bought this to implement for a small business of ~20 employees using a variety of devices (PCs, Macs, android and IOS devices) and faced nothing but a steady stream of problems with performance and stability.

First and foremost, pay attention to the product description. It is capable of supporting dual bands (2.4 OR 5 Ghz) but NOT simultaneously. One must choose one band or the other. I can somewhat forgive that. What was truly disappointing however, was the unit shipping with firmware revision 1.26 and there are a slew of performance problems with this firmware version . Sessions for mobile devices are randomly dropped and as time progresses disallows association of those devices. Looked for new firmware on the website only to realize the latest "stable" available release on the site was 1.25. Contacted support for assistance and they suggested downgrading the hardware to the version posted on their website, 1.25 (current as of 6/29/13).

The unit was downgraded to 1.25, (this is a major fail to have to perform this procedure). The problem still persists, but instead of failing every 36 hours, it fails between 48-72 hours. After that window occurs, power cycling the unit is the only means to resolve problems, (second major fail). In addition, while on the "stable" code some mobile devices, most notably apple devices (computers or i-devices), but not limited to, have difficulty maintaining connectivity. The logs show repetitive association/deassociation events, with reason code 8. Typically reason code 8 is a client leaving an AP due to load balancing. The problem with this scenario, there is only one AP in this setup and load balancing is NOT enabled!

Further debugging should be done with a variety of devices against various wireless chip manufacturers (some perform MUCH better than others, and this hardware seems particularly sensitive, but either way, I do not relish functioning as QA for D-Link when I am a paying consumer. Either their process, testing, or both are broken as product should NOT have been released with 1.26 when it "appears" to have not been thoroughly tested. This is truly sad this product is so problematic. I deploy many of their other products for small business owners, but wireless has always been problematic and apparently continues to remain so. One would expect this type of rubbish for their consumer product line, but not their business line. Highly disappointed, and migrating clients to another vendor's wi-fi solution.

I would give it only 1 star if it weren't for the fact the user interface is actually decent. Too bad the meat and potatoes of the product, the IMPORTANT stuff, don't match up to it.
on January 27, 2010
I have a DIR-655 running a 2.4GHZ 802.11N network in my home, as all wireless networks you share the bandwidth with all other clients attached to that AP or router in my case. I wanted to seperate my home AV and my PS3 (it's good to be the admin) from the same network that my kids use for streaming their music etc...

Works like a champ, great signal and very reliable so far. I did not choose the DAP 1522 because I couldn't find any data on the atennas, and with 5GHZ a little boost in DB from the antennas is a good thing. I do however use DAP 1522 as the wireless client at my entertainment center. It is a great product too, but that is another review...
on January 9, 2012
I have owned many D-Link devices over the years. In general I have been pleased with these products. This product, however, is the exception.

After about a week the device started to hang periodically requiring a power-cycle to restore service. An upgrade to the latest firmware didn't resolve the problem. After a week of messing around with this "business class" access point I replaced it with a ZyXEL 300 access point (which cost 1/2 as much). The ZyXEL 300 provided nearly identical performance and signal strength in AP mode, had basically the same features and thusfar hasn't had any stability problems.

I did visit the D-Link forums looking for ways to resolve this issue. There were a number of posts from users claiming that the unit did indeed have stability issues and that a firmware upgrade did not fix the issue. Forum posts (including Amazon reviews) all need to be taken in context but these posts matched my experience exactly.

I didn't take the time to try and resolve these issues with D-Link. Frankly, it's not a good use of my time to sit on the phone and spend hours sorting through product issues when there are other products out there that cost 1/2 as much and provide the same functionality. I consider my taking the time to read the forum posts and upgrade to the latest firmware a fair effort to resolve the problem with D-Link. Amazon returns are way easier and Amazon Prime had a different product in my hands in two days.

I would have given this product zero stars if I could. It claims to be a "business class" AP which generally means outstanding reliablity.
on May 25, 2012
I would strongly recommend avoiding this product. It has multiple issues:

- Read carefully, as while this is a dual-band product, only one will operate at any one time. So you can have B/G/N (2.5Ghz) or A/N (5Ghz) but not A/B/G/N (both) at the same time.
- The UI appears to have been laid out and written by a bunch of monkeys. It is not really clear and the help is even worse. The hoops you have to jump through to enable things is horrid. They must not have anyone ever test the device for actual use. I feel sorry for anyone who isn't already really knowledgeable about networking that gets handed one of these to turn up...
- Worst of all some thing you have to set on a even WORSE CLI if you want them to work. For example I could not find any combination of getting the device to do both AES and TKIP at the same time with WPA2 Personal via the GUI. "AUTO" was never an option. It was via the CLI so had to set it there and lets just say the CLI is quite sub-par.
- SSH doesn't even work. They let you enable it but it just refuses connections from every systems I tried, so you are stuck with telnet if you want (have) to configure it on the CLI, best do it over the wired interface.
- Non-compliant bridge device. This is probably the worst part - It shouldn't be allowed to be called a AP as it's not a RFC compliant bridge. It does not properly forward multicast frames so things like MDNS will not work. This breaks Apple's Bonjour, DLNA, printer auto-discovery, and anything else that relies on local multicast. Not combination of turning things off, on, combos can I find with their latest 1.25 software to get it to work. And they have known about this for more then 9 months and haven't solved it.

Now, if I had only kept the box I could be rid of it, but I'm stuck with something as useful as a brick.
on October 28, 2011
I picked up this router after reading some of the reviews on amazon. I ordered it a couple of days ago and it just arrived in the mail. It took me about an hour total (including a call to Tech Support) to setup. I needed it to be setup as a hot spot for my small business. I already have a Netgear FVG318 router but since it doesn't have a guest network/hotspot feature, I needed an extra AP. I couldn't have been happier with the DAP-2553.
One gotcha though is in the setup. I don't think it's explained properly. That's why I hope to save the next guy out there some pain by offering my own watered down instructions and hopefully they're better than what's provided by Dlink.

If you already have a laptop with wireless access, here are the steps you need to get setup quickly:
-power up the DAP-2553 using the adapter supplied
-plug the internet cable provided to the back of the DAP-2553 and plug the other end directly to your laptop
-Disable your wireless connection on the laptop
-change your network adapter settings from "dynamic" to a static ip. You can do this in the control pannel->network connections->LocalAreaConnection->Properties->TCP/IP
-Type in this IP: 192.168.0.50 and press tab, tab to select the default mask (255.255.255.0)
-Click Ok

-Launch a browser window and go to [...] and hit enter. You should see the login page to the DAP-2553 router.

If you get here, then you're golden so far. All that remains is to setup your new SSID (wireless network or hot-spot). If not, give tech support a call.

-To setup a new SSID, click the "Basic Settings", then "Wireless"
-Select the band "2.4GHZ" if it's for indoors, or 5GHZ if you're going to access it from outside and far distances
-Select the "Mode" as "Access Point". There are 4 types in all. I'm only describing the settings for AP mode.
-Give the SSID a name (Ex: My_Hot_Spot"

Mode Access Point
Network Name (SSID): My_Hot_Spot
SSID Visibility Enable
Auto Channel Selection: Enable
Channel: will be grayed out
Channel Width Auto 20/40 MHz

Authentication WPA-Personal
PassPhrase Settings:
WPA Mode: Auto
Cypher type: auto
Key Update Interval Seconds) : leave as 1800 secs
Manual or Group key interval: manual

Activated From: leave blank
Time interval: blank
PassPhrase: Type your own pass code here. This is the code you'll be sharing with your users/customers/others when they want to access your wireless network/hot spot.

-Click the "Save" Button. Note if you have upgraded to the latest firmware, you still have to commit your changes by going to the "Configuration" link and select "Activate and Save".
-Now click on the "Lan" link on the left and change the ip address of your AP to an ip from the same subnet as your existing router (starting with 192.168.2). This should be the most common ip address format for most home users/wireless networks.
-Apply these settings:
Get IP From: Static IP (Manual)
-IpAddress: 192.168.2.250 (for example). Give it an IP that's outside the range of IPs assigned by your existing wireless router.
-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
-Default gateway: 192.168.2.1 (or whatever your default is).
-Click "Save".

Now, unplug the cable from your laptop and plug it to a port on your wireless router.
-Enable your wireless adapter on your laptop. Your laptop should pick up the new SSID.
If you get here, then you're almost set. Enter the pass phrase you entered earlier and see if you can browse any internet sites.
If you can, then you're good. If not, you might want to review your settings first, or call Tech Support.

-One last thing. You need to change your gateway pwd to something other than admin/blankpwd. For that go to:
-Maintenance->Administration Settings -> and go to the "Login Settings" and type in your new ID/pwd. You can keep admin as the user, but you can also change it if you like. I prefer to use my own just for extra safety.

That's all there is to it.

Notes:
1) If your firmware is not "1.21 14:00:21 11/23/2010" or later, then it's a good idea to download the latest version from [...]
then click the "support resources" link.
2) It's probably a good idea to go through the rest of the documentation/manual to explore other features of the DAP-2553. It's a business class router. So it has a lot more features that the most basic ones I've explained above.
3) product home page: [...]

Good luck and happy surfing!

Max
on August 10, 2010
I'm an IT professional who swore by Netgear ProSafe products. However, when they replaced the WG102 with the WG103 I found myself swearing at it. The Netgear WG103 is the most buggy POS access point that I have ever worked with. So, I decided to try the DLink DAP-2553. It's GREAT. Setup was quick and easy. The wireless N Dual-band is a plus. Range and speed are amazing. I have no complaints. I am now using DLink business class products for all new installations. Goodbye Netgear.
on April 21, 2011
Used as a bridged wireless access point and has been a great purchase. Currently I have difficulties with previous wireless access points due to the amount of wireless signals in my neighborhood. Most if not all gave me issues with disconnects and eventually had to return them or just replace them. So far I'm very pleased, no more disconnects. Love that I can have multiple SSIDs and isolate them. Very happy with this product. I agree there isn't much documentation which comes with this device but there was enough documentation online to configure this device without an issue. Most of the configuration did not require looking anything up as the interface was pretty self explanatory. Very happy with this product.
on October 18, 2011
When using the DAP-2553 in 5GHz mode WMM with firmware 1.21, the unit constantly disconnects and locks up, especially under heavy load. Without WMM, the disconnects and hangs still occur, but less frequently. The only way to revive the WAP is to cycle the power. Firmware 1.21 fixed a vulnerability, so it is not possible to safely move back to a previous version. I would recommend that users looking for a 5GHz WAP pass on this one until DLiknk is able to get the bugs fixed. There is an active thread on the DLink support forums that verifies that this is more than just an isolated failure.