Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Style: Day/Night + SDPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on June 30, 2013
I purchased this camera after a string of home invasions on our street. I placed it near our back door and configured it to email images when it detected motion. After a week or so I awoke to several high quality images of an uninvited person at our back door at 3:30am. The police were impressed with the images. They used identifying features such as tattoos and facial images to identify and arrest the person.

I have been very impressed with the camera and have recommended it to several others.
review image
3838 comments1,508 of 1,538 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
Great camera for the money. Free online service for remote viewing on your iPhone. These cameras are not high resolution and require a good wireless signal to stay connected but overall a great little camera for general purpose monitoring. Works both in daylight and darkness. Make sure that you purchase a power supply extension cable as the one in the box is not very long.
review image review image
0Comment81 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2014
Got these bad boys and thought I could set them up manually and quickly since I'm comfortable with networking....but I was wrong! Had to use the wizard software as the cameras wouldn't get online wirelessly... Save yourself the trouble and install the software and go through the wizard where it took less than 10 mins to configure.

Good cameras for the price as they detect motion and sound and can get them emailed to you... Best of all, you do not have to subscribe and pay monthly as their App is free and you can download a free IP cam recorder to record for you and not have to keep on paying for the budget conscious.

Added 1/30/15:
Stupid me, just recently found out that I can download D-View from DLink's website FREE where it is essentially a Camera Server recorder that can support up to 32 cameras! After playing with the server application, I am finally happy with how to record and play back. Even caught my daug (pug + dachshund) walking on my white carpet when I have painstakingly trained her from she was a pup to NOT walk on it in any way. Baaaad daug! Though it was cute where she would check to see if any body was around first and then walked into the living room from the kitchen (where she is only allowed!)... Apparently you can forego the app that is free to download and set up this camera server in your private network to stream your cameras privately (if you don't feel comfortable letting a third party handling the streaming). SO, in light of this, I'd say these cameras are a steal for the price. I don't even mind the static sound as it is just a reminder to me that the app is running while monitoring our babies' room.
44 comments89 of 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2014
I have four of these in the house. Love them, simple setup and I can watch the cams from the app on the smartphone in realtime (and hear the audio) - streaming is simple even when not on wifi. A+A+ have nothing negative to say except i wish i had them years ago!
33 comments69 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2011
4/4/2011: The day and night video is pretty good. The installation process was flawless. Unfortunately I can't use the camera as a baby monitor since the audio static is awful. The static is so loud you can't hear anything. Hopefully Dlink will address my concern. I'll update my review once I hear back from them. See my video if you'd like to hear the bad static. Also Dlink hasn't fixed the audio problem with the Iphone App. You only get video with the Iphone. I have the Iphone 4 with iOS 4.3 installed.

4/5/2011: I contacted Dlink support. They said they know about the audio problem and they don't plan to fix it. Ughh! I'm going to return this one and see if a new one sounds better. I'll post more once I get the new one.

4/14/2011: I received my new DCS-932L from Amazon today. The audio is just as bad with this camera. What a shame. I even upgraded my java version to 1.6.0_24-b07. Ughh. Time to send it back or pray for a firmware fix.

8/31/2011: We've started to use this camera all the time since our baby is older and Iphone support has been added. The audio is good enough where we can hear him. I just wish Dlink would get rid of the static.

3/5/2012: This camera has become our primary baby monitor for our 14th month old. The iphone apps work very well. Our Philips Iphone dock works great with the Dlink Iphone app. It amplifies the audio and cleans up the audio a bit. I'm adding 1 more star back. I still wish the the audio didn't have so much static, but this camera has turned out to be a great baby monitor.

3/12/2015: We have six of these monitors and two children now. Both kids survived just fine with us using these cameras. We now use these cameras to keep an ear on the kids when they are playing alone in the basement or in a remote part of the house. We have found that these cameras work really well using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. We've tried many routers and the Netgear works the best. The Dlink Iphone app and Ipad app has been very stable over the past few years. We've taken this camera on vacation with us and gotten it to work on a wired connection in hotel rooms and condos.
review image review image review image review image review image
3232 comments532 of 590 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
I was looking for a low cost wireless camera with better image quality than the Linksys WVC80N cameras that I have been using for a while. Side-by-Side, this is how the cameras compared.

Bottom Line: Unless you need Night Vision or need the mobil phone apps, the Linksys WVC80N performs better at a lower price. Linksys has better image quality than D-Link at any distance, handles outdoor scenes when the D-Link won't and will deliver video clips (not just snapshots) by email or ftp. The Linksys does not have phone-apps, but it can email a 5 second motion triggered video clip that can be viewed on your android phone.

Best Useage: The D-Link would be great as a baby cam or pet cam. The cute design, better audio and the night vision outperform the Linksys for these uses.

The Linksys WVC80N would be better for any other use where the video quality under all lighting conditions (except dark) is the highest priority.

Compare Image Quality @ 640x480
1. Color Quality - D-Link is a little better than Linksys, unless it is an outdoor view. The D-Link exposure control cannot manage any sunlit surfaces. Even grass and trees are completely washed out to white if they are in direct sun. There are no settings to fix this. In moderate light, the D-Link color is better than Linksys because the Linksys has a color hue gradient of red in the center to green at the perimeter. This color balance problem is distracting when viewing a white scene like snow or other very light backgrounds.

2. Image Clarity - With the two cameras side-by-side with the same scene of near-and-distant objects, the D-Link by comparison looks optically out-of-focus, though neither camera is great in this respect. If you want to recognize a face at a distance Linksys is better. The D-Link video clarity is fine for a baby's bedroom, because a near-field view does not demand the same sharp focus as a distant view.

3. Sound Quality - The D-Link has good audio performance on an wireless "N" lan when accesses directly within your home using the camera's local IP address. Very little "noise", no skipping or break-up and good microphone pickup. I didn't check it out across the internet or with the "MyDlink" connection, but I am guessing audio would not perform so well there . . as other reviewers have noted.

The Linksys has more audio artifacts and is more vulnerable to the audio breaking up when the video settings are too demanding even on the local network. Across the internet with high speed cable service at both ends, the Video has to be set at "Low Quality" and 2 or 1 frames per second for the audio to work without breaking up.

Some Feature Comparisons
1. The one obvious advantage with the D-Link is the night vision. It works pretty well up to 20 feet but the pictures are very soft-focus. For your night-time application you may want to consider that the 4 red LEDS are very bright and draw your eye to the camera.

2. The D-Link camera cannot stream video to a PC without using the full web management interface or using the MyDLink web service. With the Lynksys you can play the video stream directly on an iPad or on a PC using Google's Chrome browser without the surroundings of a web interface. Internet Explorer will only show 1 frame of a video stream if you bypass the full management interface explaining why Google Chrome is mentioned. With the Linksys camera, Right-Click on the video in the normal interface to get the URL for the direct video stream to used on your iPad or Chrome.

The D-Link can display a single .jpeg snapshot without the managment interface. This feature can be enabled in the camera's web interface and it tells the address format to use. This is for direct access, not using MyDink.

2. The D-Link cannot upload a video clip to an ftp server when it sees motion. It will only upload a single .jpeg snapshot. This will often give you a useless premature snapshot of a shadow but not the person, or a door opening but not the person. With the Linksys .mjpeg video clip, no video compression is used so each frame is a good .jpeg snapshot. You can select the best frame from the 5 second video that would give you the best view of the motion event that triggered the clip.

3. The D-Link will only email 6 frames when it sees motion. You can choose 1 or 2 frames per second. It will include the 3 frames it had buffered before it saw motion which is a good feature. This makes the email feature much more usefull than the D-Link ftp upload of a single .jpeg snapshot.

For motion detection features, you may prefer the Linksys which will email, ftp (or both) a 5 second video clip at a normal video frame rate.

I had no reason to examine the motion detect performance on the D-Link camera, but the motion detection on this Linksys camera works much better that on the prior similar models. With careful detection-area and sensitivity tuning, motion detection works great. Motion Detection responds to shadows which makes outdoor use tricky but manageable. Shadows on the ground caused by wind blowing the trees will trigger the camera so your detction areas need to be carefully targeted at areas of interest.

Setup / Wireless Compatibility
Working in a related tech business, I believe the negative reviews on either of these products regarding wireless compatibility or networking issues are the result of bad programming on the manufacturer's setup CD or the buyer's lack of network troubleshooting experience. If you have a friend who is very tech-savy to help you get past wireless and networking complications, either of these products will work reliably on virtually any wireless network. Sometimes the installation CD's will simplify networking issues and sometime they won't.

Reading the complaints on Amazon about the D-Link setup, I had the same problems but they were caused by poor programming on Setup CD; not the camera. If you get failure messages going through the Wizard on the CD, just use the web interface on the camera and save yourself a lot of grief. The web interface on the camera is excellent.

Another reason to skip the DLink CD . . . it forces you to to create a MyDlink account with DLink even though you may have no need for the service because you prefer to port-forward to this camera.

I returned this camera because it was a video quality downgrade from the Linksys cameras already in service.
99 comments277 of 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a decent camera that will work well if you want a simple plug-and-play webcam for monitoring purposes. Setup is a challenge, though, if you decide to configure and run the camera manually, rather than using D-Link's software and portal. (If you want to manage the video without using D-Link's portal, I've included instructions at the end of this review.)

Positives:
+ Good looking, fairly unobtrusive camera with a nicely designed ball-and-socket mount that can be set on a table or mounted permanently on a wall.
+ Video quality is fine for room monitoring at the default configuration (320x240 pixels) and quality can be improved four-fold by resetting the video to VGA (640x480 pixels). This isn't the same quality as an HD cam, so I wouldn't use this camera for Skyping, but it's fine for a room monitor.
+ The DLink web service makes it simple to view the video feed from an internet connection when you're away from home, if you choose to use their portal.
+ If your router supports WPS Setup, setting up the wireless connection is as easy as pressing a couple of buttons.

Negatives:
- If you don't want to use DLink's web portal for remote monitoring, setting up the camera manually requires a fair amount of technical knowledge. I didn't like the idea of having DLink manage my video feed, so I went for the manual setup approach. Unfortunately, there is no documentation for doing this, so you need to be comfortable configuring network devices. Basically, DLink assumes you'll use their service if you want remote access.
- If you don't need remote access (e.g., if you're using this as a baby monitor), things are a bit easier, but not trivial. You'll need to manually hunt for the camera's IP address on your subnet, login, and manually configure the camera. Once I figured out the IP and login name and password (which aren't in the setup guide), configuring the device for use at home was pretty straightforward.
- If your router doesn't support WPS, getting the wireless connection established is a challenge. You have to connect the camera to the router with a Cat5 patch cable, search manually for the IP, login (again, the manual doesn't give default login credentials), and manually set up the wireless connection.

In a nutshell, this is a decent camera, and if you want to use DLink's software for configuring the camera and their portal for monitoring the video feed, it's a good, simple choice. But DLink assumes you'll use their approach, and if you want to set up and use the device without using their software (which I didn't want to install on my laptop because it's a work computer) or portal (which I didn't want to use because I didn't like the idea of DLink managing my webcam feed) then you need to have technical knowledge and be willing to spend some time, without the benefit of instructions.

UPDATE: I finally managed to configure this camera manually and have it set up for monitoring from outside my network without using DLink's portal. If you decide you want to do the same, here's how:

- Connect the camera to your network with a Cat5 patch cable. Using a browser on any PC on the network, search for the camera (you can use a utility to find connected devices, or just start entering IP addresses on your subnet until you get a hit).

- Once you get a response from the camera, go to the setup tab then to wireless setup and enter the SSID and pre-shared key for your router so that you won't have to keep the camera connected with the Cat5 cable.

- Then go to the network setup and enter a static IP address, enter your router's IP (the one on your subnet, not the external IP) into the default gateway field, and enter a port number other than 80 into the HTTP port field (80 is the default but many ISPs block port 80).

- Next, log in to your router and set up port forwarding to forward activity on the port you set in the last step to the static IP address you entered in the last step.

- To access the camera from outside your network, fire up a browser and enter your router's external IP address followed by a colon and the port number. If you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP, you can use a service like DynDNS.org to get a common name keeps up with your ever-changing IP address. You can also download a free/cheap livecam app on your iPad or iPhone that lets you monitor the video feed remotely.

Important: You'll only need these instructions if you want to configure your DLink cam manually and want to monitor it directly without using DLink's portal. The easier approach (by far) is to use the CD that comes with the camera, load and run DLink's setup software to configure the camera, and use their portal for monitoring. But I didn't want to use their software or portal (I try not to load lots of potentially buggy software onto my computer, and I don't trust D-Link's security enough to have them managing my webcam feed), so I took the time to figure out the manual approach. I hope these instructions are useful to anyone else who wants to do the same.
2020 comments285 of 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2014
I have a few of the D-Link D-930L's which are day only cameras and decided it would be nice to see the back yard and front yard at night by placing these on a window sill. Found out the hard way that the red IR lights on the front of the camera reflect off the window glass making it impossible to see anything through the windows.

Ended up putting them in the garage to keep an eye on our dogs when the lights are out and they work great. Should have thought it through a little as I knew going into the purchase these used IR to allow you to see during the night.

Live and learn, but I can't take anything away from the product review as these work as advertised very well.
33 comments39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
Absolute crap software. I bought this camera a while ago, and it lasted about 2 years or so until it died. Bought the replacement and apparently in two years they've upped the ante for users. Now you need a PhD in comp sci to get mydlink.com set up. I must have installed 3 different versions of Java, on both my Mac and PC (NONE OF WHICH are the current version BTW, because as in all ass backward apps, it doesn't support the current version). Even when I installed the version it asked for (version 6), it didn't recognize it. The iOS app connected, although it took a while to get it to work, however the iOS version only allows live viewing. I want to take snapshots with motion detection which you can only do via mydlink. They need to go back to the drawing board and upgrade. Save your money. This is not worth the hassle.
review image review image
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
One of the reason I purchased this security camera is that it has MicroSD slot where it can save the video directly rather than saving it on the computer or transferring to FTP server, so I don't have to keep running my computer 24/7. That's what I thought. Here's why I'm so disappointed and giving only 1 star.

The motion detection is working. Good.
Night vision is working. Good.
It does save videos to MicroSD card. Good.

But!... One day there was a burglary and I started checking the recorded video. In one of the video I saw thief's feet moving top left corner in the video. Then when he is about to move to the center so I can see his face, then video abruptly ended. I was so mad, I can't even explain how mad I was! That's all this security camera recorded. Thief's legs!!

Their recording function has big big problems.
1. It records only MAXIMUM duration of 10 seconds at a time. It does NOT record whole scene while motion is detected.
2. After 1 recording session, it waits MINIMUM of 60 seconds until it starts recording again if there's any motion detected.

So this camera started recording because it saw legs moving, but it decided to stop recording because it can record only 10 seconds! And it decided to ignore everything happened in front of the camera afterwards because it needs 60 seconds break.

I do not understand these restrictions because I'm saving the file directly to MicroSD, not to FTP nor sending it over email. There is no wireless issues or bandwidth issues worry about. They cannot call this "Security" camera.
88 comments287 of 333 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse