5.0 out of 5 stars works great as a Wireless Access Point
Published on August 4, 2010 by Chuck Maru

1.0 out of 5 stars Too inconsistent, too bad. . .
Published on July 4, 2010 by Plainshow

5.0 out of 5 stars works great as a Wireless Access Point, August 4, 2010
This review is from: D-Link DIR-601 Wireless-N 150 Home Router (Personal Computers)
I have used many bargain & a few name brands of wireless equipment over the years. I bought this D-Link because it is almost as inexpensive as the bargain brands, some of which worked, some of which didn't & all of which lacked helpful software and instructions. I'm using 2 of these DIR-601's a Wireless Access Points. No interference with each other (BTW, 2.4 GHz portable phones interfere with all wireless network devices, so we switched to Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones). There are simple instructions in the PDF manual, which is quite good overall, for hooking them into a router & using them as WAPs. They connect easily to our laptops and iPad -- just choose your network and type in your password (WPA2 encryption is best) the first time -- no software drivers required. We run both G and N laptops. Range seems excellent. Setup software is easy to use. I like this D-Link so much I bought my son one. He uses it as a wireless router at his apartment and it works fine for him too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain router, December 29, 2010
DKT "Don" (Wilmington, DE) - See all my reviews
I gave the D-Link DIR-601 router a 4-star rating based the three most important attributes: Price, ease of setup and performance. It was only $20 at the time I purchased it, which seems less than the cost of the materials to make it(!). Since this was my first experience with a router in my home, I did a fair amount of research and found a lot of not-so-good reviews on many more-to-MUCH-more-expensive routers. The problem areas were invariably poor range and difficult installation. The reviews on the DIR-601 were much better than most, which, combined with price, is why I chose it.

I can confirm that the reviews are accurate. Installation was extremely easy; the "wizard" worked perfectly on an XP computer. I do have some minor range issues, but fewer than those reported by some users of much more expensive routers. The router is in my home office in the BASEMENT of the house. The basement walls are 8" poured concrete and the router happens to be next to the north wall. If I take my Toshiba Win 7 laptop to any part of the house OUTSIDE the planes of the basement walls (the porch and the breakfast-room-extension off the kitchen), the signal strength can drop to as little as 2 out of 5 bars, and download speed can drop from 18-20Mbps to just under 4Mbps. But I'm pretty sure that NO router -- at any price -- would do significantly better if positioned in the same place. Everywhere INSIDE the planes of the basement walls -- even the bedrooms 2-stories up and farthest from the router -- I typically get 4-5 bars. There are times when it falls to 3 bars in one bedroom, but it's not consistently at that level, so the drop-off could be due to transient interference from other electronics (e.g., our three cordless phones or routers in homes near us). I'm virtually certain that I could improve the signal strength in the areas where it's low by positioning the router close to the basement ceiling and away from the walls. But doing that requires (a) a couple of very long Ethernet cables (impractical) or (b) a couple of power line Ethernet adapters (expensive) or (c) getting a repeater (also expensive).

I had one issue that I called D-Link's tech support about. Shields Up (Gibson Research's program that tests the status of the first 1056 ports on your computer) has always shown my desktop ports to be 100% "stealth" -- invisible to the Internet. After installing the router, it showed ports 0 and 1 as only "closed", not "stealth". I contacted D-Link support via e-mail and received a reply within a day asking me to call a support phone #, which I did. The call was answered immediately (no hold time), the technician (South Africa) was knowledgeable and resolved the issue during the call. Turns out Shields Up is measuring the status of the router, not my PC. This tech support experience was completely opposite to what I had been told about D-Link's support -- that it was slow and not very good. If I were rating their tech support, I'd give it 5 stars.

If you're new to routers, be aware that this is NOT an N-300 router; it's an N-150 router. That means (my understanding) that the maximum bandwidth it can deliver is 150Mbps. Since no one in the house plays complex games or streams movies from the Internet, and there are currently only 2 computers using the cable connection, a 300Mbps router would be overkill for us. But if you have multiple (4-5) computers playing Internet games simultaneously, you should probably get an N-300 router.

5.0 out of 5 stars No title! HAH!, September 1, 2010
Reviews. from people like me don't really help you consumers much, as I am a tech freak, so I come on here, already knowing what I want to buy, all I will say is that, if you are looking for a wireless router that has great strength over a moderate distance, then the D-Link N150 is for you. It works for just browsing, and gaming alike. I have yet to lose a connection with the massive use I have going on with it.

I have 9 computers, 1 Playstation 3, 2 Xbox 360's and 1 Nintendo Wii, running off of this one wireless router, and even with 80 percent of those up at one time, I have never been dropped, and have seen full connectivity each time, with perfect latency in between. No lag, Nor overlay.

I live him an apartment, with 3 people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too inconsistent, too bad. . ., July 4, 2010
Unfortunately, this router suffers from intermittent lapses in broadcast. I have not had a problem with the hard wired desktop attached to it but the wireless cuts out when using my laptop and Roku player. Both are stationary and all are in the same room as the router. Online and phone support were great but could not fix the problem. Went with a N300 Belkin for ten dollars more and have had no issues. You get what you pay for sometimes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but not with stock firmware, March 11, 2011
I had a lot of issues with dropped wireless internet connection. The wired internet used to work great. I was almost on verge of buying a new router when I noticed the dd-wrt firmware available for this router. Now, there is no looking back. Router works great. I just completed a 5 hour maintenance window for work using my laptop over wifi on VPN and not a single time did the VPN connection drop.

So, a great router but with dd-wrt software and not the stock firmware.

Use this link to download the dd-wrt firmware.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coverage & easy set-up!, January 4, 2011
Shannon (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I never write reviews, but was so impressed by the bang for your buck with this little router, and its ease of set-up, that I decided I would for this product. First off, I'm a mac user, so I was totally prepared for this to be a nightmare for me to set up on my parents' PC. Seriously, I don't know the first thing about PCs, but thought I'd give it a try since I needed a wireless network so I could use my ipad when visiting, and the router was so cheap. I was concerned when I saw the box and it said perfect for the small apartment, as my folks have a large house, but for the price, and since I'd only be using it when visiting, I figured at least there would be a few rooms I could connect. Well, I popped the disc in and followed the easy step-by-step directions, and not only were we wireless in less than 5-10 minutes, but we also had coverage all over the house. Very pleased, and so will my parents be when we start chatting via face time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good wireless router for a wonderful price, December 9, 2010
I was just moving out of my DSL to Cable to get better bandwidth, I was looking for a new wireless router and found DLink DIR-601 with mostly positive reviews and decided to go with it. Used the CD came with the box and the setup was complete within 10 minutes and I was able to move away from my old linksys router to this one. I have 3 laptops, 1 desktop, 1 iMac, 2 iPhones, 1 squeezebox, 1 security camera, 1 Google TV (Revue), Dish Receiver and Vonage phone all going through this router without any trouble. The signal is good within my house which is 4 bedroom and 1800 sq.ft. Its been more than 2 weeks now and (touch wood) so far no issues or dropped connections.

The user interface was much better than linksys or my other router Airlink. Did not try the DDNS. For under 20 dollars, this was the best 802.11n router.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frequently drops ssh connection, February 16, 2011
This is a review of the D-link DIR 601 wireless router. This router is probably fine for surfing the web, however, it periodically drops ssh connections. I am using ssh secure shell on a windows machine to log into remote linux servers. This program has no capacity to send keep alive pulses across the wireless link. After a short period (~15 minutes), the wireless router will time-out the tcp ip connection and drop the ssh connection. This is a real hassle if you are trying to work with ssh sessions on multiple servers. It appears that this is a problem deep inside the D-link firmware and, if you care, the only solution is to buy another product. I returned this unit and bought a TP-link TL-WR941ND ( TP-Link TL-WR941ND Wireless N Router ). With the TP-link router, I can leave ssh connections open for days. This router was inexpensive, but not when I include the time it wasted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drops Connections all the time, December 8, 2010
I have been wrestling with this DIR-601 for about 6 months now. I have moved it all over the house to try to improve signal strength and yet I still get multiple drops on a daily basis.
We have 3 computers and a squeezebox all running off of it and unless we are in the same room it seems to hang and drop connection. The squeezebox seems to be better now that I have given it a big buffer. I have a Mac Mini that is upstairs about 30 feet away and it shows almost no signal strength whether the D-Link is directly under it or a bit away next to a window with a nearly direct shot to the mini without a lot of walls in the way.

Recently, I borrowed a Linksys WRT54G2 and it is only wireless G, but has about the same signal strength as the D-Link DIR-601. And so far I have not had any drops with the Linksys.

What is really frustrating is that the signal seems to fade in and out randomly. Sometimes strength seems fine for a bit and then it diminishes and the websurfing slows to a crawl. When I go to my main machine that is wired, it flys along while the wireless machines are barely able to load a page.

Sometimes I am moving batches of photos or videos around and when I try to do more than a couple hundred megs it seems the router chokes and drops. When I try to do things on my Ready NAS the wireless connections often take several minutes before I can see my files or navigate the NAS.

This is a really frustrating piece of equipment for me. I have had many routers over the years and this has been the worst one of the bunch so far. It seems to make everything feel broken down and makes my use of my machines feel boggy and unsatisfying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, January 20, 2010
I am a Mac user and could not use the disk that came with the wireless router (minus 1 star). Got it up and running in about 15 min. Did look over the PDF file on the disk. Has been running for 60 minutes without any problems. However, the Wireless Network is WPA, not WPA2. It also has WEP. Overall, for the price, it seems to be a good wireless router and it replaces my Belkin router. Virtual servers are available and will set up next. If I have any problems, I will write an update.

D-Link DIR-601 Wireless-N 150 Home Router