Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: D-Link DIR-632 Wireless-N 8-Port Router
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

VINE VOICEon December 2, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll start by saying that I have several Windows 7 and several Mac PCs in the house. I had been using a Westell wireless modem/router provided by Frontier DSL (Formerly Verizon DSL in Washington State). The Westell was starting to have problems with one of my Macs (The IP Address kept dropping or some such thing) so I needed a new router. The Quick Start Guide that comes with this D-Link router tells you all you need to know for what is truly a very simple set up process. I simply installed the CD ROM into one of my Windows machines, followed the prompts and, voila!, my new network was up and running.

One terrific benefit to this router that, as of the date of this review, no one has mentioned, is that you have the option of using it as a stand alone router OR IN ADDITION TO your existing router/modem. This latter option provides the user with the addition of even more Ethernet ports because they can use the eight with the D-Link and all but one of the ones on the old router. Note: One of the ports on the old router will need to be used to connect it to the new D-Link. It's also important to note that this is just a router. It does not have a modem so if your existing setup was like mine, with a router/modem, then, assuming there's nothing wrong with your existing modem, you will likely want to ADD this in the same manner that I did.

Of course, if all you need are additional Ethernet ports your money will be much better spent on something like TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Standard Switch (8 x 10/100/1000Mbps Auto-Negotiation, Auto-MDIX Gigabit Ethernet Ports) TEG-S80G (Black Metal). This piece of equipment will provide you with a hub to plug into your existing router.

I've noticed some reviewers have had issues with Mac. I had none whatsoever. If you only have Mac and no Windows then there's a manual set up process in the Quick Start Guide. If you have both Windows and Mac PCs, I recommend your first set up be with a Windows PC. When you're finished with the Windows set up you'll have all the information you need to just go to your Airport Icon and Join your new network.

I've only used the new network for a couple of days. If I experience any problems, I'll come back and revise my review accordingly.

Update: After three months of use this baby's working like a charm. Not a single issue. I am very happy with this product.

Update # 2: 5/6/2011 Not a single problem. Great set up
99 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2012
Updated Aug 6, 2015 - Thanks to grip929 for providing the link http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-632 and so far my router has not dropped Wi-Fi signals or needed any reboots (unless I did it for a memory/cache refresh).

Updated Sept 10, 2015 - Still no issues and running like its supposed to be.

Updated March 29th 2012 - I have been working with D-Link development team and review an updated firmware that is supposed to eliminate a lot of the problems we see today, and mentioned below. I will update this review after testing.

I have quite a few end-user devices in my house (nearing 25 at last count) and some of them require Ethernet connectivity. So between this DIR-632 8-port router and two other 4-port D-Link routers (which acts as an Access Point or modified-switch) I have a medium-sized LAN in my networked house. Thus it does not help when your router decides to shut-down wireless transmission (every day or every other day) and you have to physically go down and reboot the sucker unless you are lucky and one Ethernet port is working so you can reboot using the D-Link web-interface.

As a network engineer and a long-time D-Link user, I spent 2 months reviewing how to eliminate the problem and then realized there is no work-around because of how the Firmware (1.01NA) is on the DIR-632. I have gotten 3 replacements (2 refurbished, one new) and Tech support (which is typically very good on how fast they respond) provided me development firmware (from their Taiwanese team) to see if the problem would go away and it did not. So prior to returning one of the RMA devices (DIR-632) I utilized an Open-source router firmware called DD-WRT (for this specific router) and the problems (rebooting, dropped connections) never happened again.

Summary -

1. DD-WRT interface is not for the faint-of-heart but there is enough information out there (on the support forums) to show you how to use it - This is similar to rooting your Android phone or Nook-Color reader etc.
2. Another problem with the D-Link router and 1.01NA firmware is that it causes problem with Cisco Network Magic Pro software causing the network-magic service to terminate unexpectedly.
3. Overall a bad product despite the 8-LAN ports (which no other vendor offers at this price range) and if you have the heart to use the Open source software then you will be fine. Remember D-Link will not support you ("officially" when you use non D-link firmware), but "unofficially" they agree that the open-source DD-WRT firmware does not cause any problems with D-LINK DIR-632.
66 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What can one say about a piece of computer equipment? Unless one is a geek, not much. We want it cheap, to be reliable and to be easy to use.

What can we say about the D-Link DIR-632 router? It is inexpensive (manufacturers hate the word cheap), it is reliable and mostly easy to use. We'll get to that mostly part in a moment.

For an 8-port router, the price of the D-Link is very reasonable. That is a lot of ports for the price. Throw in N wireless and it is a bargain.

Reliable? Prior to upgrading, my smart phone kept losing sync with my older G wireless router. My smart phone supports the new N wireless settings so in addition to being more reliable it is also faster. Since installing the D-Link DIR-632, my smart phone has not dropped the wireless connection at all.

Easy to use. Yes, we are to the "mostly" moment. Using OS X means that manufacturers don't always think about us. D-Link though has special instructions for Mac and Linux people. Granted, the automated setup available to Windows users on the included CD does not work for us, but the printed quick start guide does a pretty good job of getting the setup started under OS X.

The biggest complication experienced is because we also have Uverse at the house and well, it has wireless G and insists on always being on. For people who have DSL or cable providers, the D-Link will be much easier to setup.

D-Link provides a full set of options when setting up the router. From the router setup page one can do automated or manual configuraiton. The manual configuration pages are pretty easy to figure out.

All in all, I am very happy with the D-Link DIR-632 and would recommend it to friends.

Rebecca Kyle
December 2010
on August 25, 2011
This router is junk. I bought it because it had 8 ports and saved having to use a switch. The setup was easy/simple, life was great.
Two months later it stopped working, I continually disconnect the power cord to allow in to reboot.....pain. There is no firmware or any other upgrade for this router; I reset factory settings, does not help.
Today I have reinstalled my Linksys router and the switch.
on July 3, 2011
i do not usually write bad reviews on things but this item deserves it. This thing didn't work correctly from the start. the Disk that comes with it to help set it up Didn't work. i had to do it manually. which wasn't a problem for Me being an IT guy. so i got it working. about 30 mins later i noticed My aim kept getting booted offline every time i tried to send something. ok fine i switched to pidgin and it stopped. i assumed it was aim that was the problem. i was wrong. a day later about every 10 mins the internet would Drop out in the middle of loading a webpage. This started to become More and More frequent. i called Tech support they said send it back. i have been searching the net about this router. every review list i find from amazon, neweeg, walmart tigerdirect, office max, and a few others. all had the same complaints about 75% of the people that gave reviews were complaining about the same issues i am. This router is cheaply made and a total waste of Money. i wanted to Like it but in the end switching back to My 6 year old Linksys router proved to be the better choice in this situation. this router is junk DO NOT BUY!!!.
1313 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2011
Horrible horrible router! After using it for only 5 weeks the router needs to be reset almost every day...Huge waste of money. Its a great idea though having 8-ports and wireless but unfortunately it doesn't work.
on February 12, 2015
Original review: Took forever to arrive and wizard would not work. I had to configure manually by going to IP Address. Once I got in, the language was set to Russian. That was fun. All is working fine now.

2/28/2015 updated review: I'm sending the router back and I had to pay $29 shipping (which sucks). The router keeps reverting to open authentication for the wireless. When I press the reset button, it reverts back to Russian language. It has a European power adapter with a US adapter. When you put them together, the connection is loose and so heavy that you have to prop the whole power adapter against another surface to make sure it stays plugged in. I don't understand why it keeps reverting to the open wireless but we can't have that happening on our business network. I bought this router because I needed something with 8 ports and the options are very limited.
on July 9, 2011
I have had this router for a couple of months and it worked great. But now it loses connection to the Internet almost every day and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to reconnect. What a pain!

I have been on the phone with customer support for over 6 total hours, with no help. They finally sent me a replacement that looked like it had been dragged behind a car. I just repackaged and sent it back to them. What a joke of a company.

UPDATE:

I read on another site that Android phones might be causing these routers to crash. If this is the case, which I have no proof other than I did connect to it with an HTC EVO, it's still a router problem and D-link should resolve it. It would be interesting to see if any other users have had the same problem and connected with an Android phone.
on January 29, 2011
I was really looking forward to getting this router, having waited a long time for someone to finally offer an 8-port wireless N router.

I have a D-Link DIR-600, which has been very reliable for nearly two years.

I hooked up this router and the wired connections began working immediately. I had to call tech support to get the wireless working. We have computers running Windows XP, Windows 7, and Mac OS 10.5 on our wireless network. The Mac worked fine on the first try, but of course both Windows machines had trouble connecting. D-Link tech support was good, though, figuring out the problems within about 20 minutes on a Saturday morning at 5 AM. They got both Windows machines up and running.

Five hours later, the connection dropped. Not just the wireless connection, the entire connection to the internet! Restarting the modem and router worked -- for about an hour. Then the router went down again. After that, it would stay connected for no more than a minute. Tech support said to return it. Sounds like they are getting a lot of these back.

Cheaply manufactured junk, with no quality control. Tiger Direct graciously paid for the return shipping via UPS, but gave no other option than returning it for a refund. No exchange for another one. I'm not sure if this is their policy for all items, or whether they know these are junk.

Not sure if I'm going to try another one. I wish there was another 8-port wireless N router on the market, I'd try it if the price was right.
on January 19, 2014
I regret having to give this router a poor review, but it was unable to succeed at its most basic task... Maintaining its connection to my Internet service provider. I set this router up, as I have set up routers from NetGear, Linksys and others. While it will work as expected for a time... approximately once every three to four days, it just drops its connection. Fixing it is a matter of unplugging it and plugging it back in. As simple as that fix may sound, I use the router in an environment where I have to dial in remotely, and a failure once ever three to four days is unacceptable.

I have replaced the router with a NetGear.