D-Link MainStage TV Adapter for Intel Wireless Display (DHD-131)
Price:$68.65 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 31, 2011
Pretty simple to setup...very easy to use...the picture quality really good in fact better than my laptop screen as the samsung tv has great colors etc. Tried full 1080p videos from youtube to test and especially the movie trailers were really impressive.

I had to update software version of both the mainstage and intel widi, no issues there.

IMPORTANT TIPS: (copied from intel widi online help available on laptop)
TIP 1:
Q: Can I be watching something on my TV while doing something else (e.g. reading e-mail, surfing the web, etc) on my laptop?
A: Yes. Use the Windows key + P shortcut to select "Extend" mode. You must position the application you want to watch on the TV to the extended display (e.g. drag Windows Media Player past the right edge of the screen until it appears on your TV).
YOU HAVE TO DRAG THE APPLICATION (eg browers etc) TO THE TV SCREEN OTHERWISE ALL YOU SEE IS YOUR LAPTOP HOME SCREEN WALLPAPER.

TIP 2:
If your laptop's native screen resolution is 1920x1080 and you use Intel® WiDi in Duplicate Display mode* you are set
If your laptop's native screen resolution is less than 1920x1080, use Intel® WiDi in Extended Desktop mode* and set the extended screen to 1920x1080

my latest acer aspire 5750 didn't have full hd so changed the resolution setting for 2nd display (samsung display) to full 1080p and could see the difference.

Overall works as promised. Looked around for netgear but found only mainstage at bb, staples etc. for some reason netgear wasn't available.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
I love this thing! I had built an HTPC about 6 months ago and was using it to watch and surf the internet on my big screen television when my wife and I decided to buy new laptops. Both laptops came with WiDi support so we bought this and I moved the HTPC into my office as a desktop. It is so much better hitting one button on our laptops and instantly (almost) being online as opposed to having to boot up my HTPC. It was very simple to set up. The only reason I gave it 3 stars is that every time we push the button to start it up it asks to update and the two times we said yes (once on her laptop, once on mine) it stopped working. We finally got it back up and running and now we just always tell it no to the updates out of fear of losing it again.

UPDATE: So, after only a couple of months of minor use (maybe once a week) this thing quit working. Our laptops say that they don't recognize an adaptor. They look for it but don't find it. Once in a while we can get it to work but then it breaks the connection halfway through a movie or video. Very frustrating. So we just bought a new TV and Blu-ray with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. built in and use that. I have always liked D-link so this is disappointing.
on July 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought DHD 131 to stream from my sony vaio (core i5 with newer sandy bridge and updated WiDi drivers) laptop to avoid all the wires. This product however is absolute junk, it keeps dropping the connection constantly . I have a good 35 Mbps Internet speed and my new apple tv works like a charm streaming HD even 1080p videos without stutter or dropped connection . I even tried using multiple laptops with newer chipset, updated the firmware on DHD 131, but never got satisfactory performance . Don't even attempt streaming high quality videos as this fails miserably at that.

I was not an apple fan but after using and seeing the change with apple tv, I have to admit I am a fan. I would not recommend D link DHD 131 to anyone. And oh yeah the customer service is also pretty poor as they will blame everything on your Internet speed and would not be of any help...
on April 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought item, followed "simple" set-up. Didn't work. Spent hours with D-link /Intel (re; Widi). Not only didn't they resolve whatever was the problem, but irritatingly demonstrated a sophomoric, holier-than-thou approach obviously to hide their lack of product knowledge. The distributor, Circuit City, accepted return/refund and told me they had unfortunately heard the story too many times. So, I don't know if the product is good. What I do know is how frustrating and childish D-link/Intel are.
on December 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
After reading many reviews, and having experienced Netgear products, I decided to use the D-link Mainstage.

It worked right out of the box. Just connected to the TV and fired up my Intel WiDi program and it was working.

make sure you update the firmware of the Dlink using Intel WiDi program.

I declined to update the Intel Widi to the new version because I read many reviews that it is not a stable version.

Been using it for the past week and streaming has been flawless. I have not checked it for more than 1.5 hours of streaming.

Before you purchase the product, make sure you actually have the Intel WiDi on your laptop!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Wanted a way to display pictures, movies, in fact anything showing on my PC to my larger screen TV. Reading several reviews of WIDI adapters on the internet, it looked like the D-Link product would be a good match for my new Lenovo Z570 (Core 7) laptop.

After receiving my D-Link MainStage (DHD-131) from Amazon.com, it was a snap to wire it up with the supplied HDMI cable to my TV. Clicking on the WIDI Icon on my PC instantly found the D-Link WIDI box. After entering the displayed security key, I was immediately connected and amazingly, my current PC display was full screen on my TV. Great color resolution, no hesitation with the mouse and I have yet to find any glitches.

Love it. Perfect right out of the box.
on May 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
I upgraded my laptop because of this hardware from D-Link, bought a high end laptop with all the specs necessary to run WIDI, but this thing is just a collection of serial headaches, some days it works real fine, some days it just refuses to run, shut down the item, restart computer, what ever you do, it won't just run, when it was time to return, D-Link customer care and strange draconian return policy mean it is cheaper for me to just hang on to this hardware than to return it.

I never buy the first interation of any product, I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this, please, don't buy this, just wait until something better and more reliable comes along

Uche
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2012
Highlights
I find Audio is a pleasant surprise with Samsung HDTV + Samsung BlueRay/Surround-a-Sound.

Pros
1) Great investment ... $350 Intel laptop with WiDi is great for watching Intl TV shows.

2) Audio is surprise benefit ... wireless HDMI sounds great. You can quickly adjust
volume from TV remote control. Much simpler to quickly mute when visitors call.
The sum is greater than the parts ... MainStage bypasses anemic laptop speakers.

3) 1080p on 42" Samsung ... Japanese anime video is crisp with Internet Premium HD streams.

Cons
1) Size ... I'd prefer size of USB dongle, then it would be priceless for business trips.

2) HDMI cable ... I got the product for 50% off; the only issues I had was with shipped cable.
Everything was working fine. Then, I consolidated MainStage cabling into multimedia
furniture and nothing worked. I swapped backed in premium HDMI cable, and it works.

3) Occasional issues with video feed

a. Sometimes, I only see 720p video in upper left corner on 1080p white background.
This varies by video stream provider. Sometimes, restarting Chrome Browser helps.

b. Rarely, the wireless video link will drop ... but the HDMI audio is still working.
You can still watch the video on laptop display. Fairly graceful degradation ...
I'll investigate to see if this is just WiFi environmental noise/bandwidth issue.

Conclusion:
I enjoy using the product. When I set up the system, both MainStage and Intel WiDi laptop had to
upgrade their own firmware over Internet. Once they were both upgraded, the system is doing a
good job of staying Auto Connected. Reliability is similar to 5 GHz WiFi Bridge (Dlink DAP 1522).
Even though we live in the suburbs, the teenagers groan when their online gaming hangs on WiFi 11a.

When you consider there are no cables,
it is pretty impressive that 2.4 GHz WiDi video is almost as robust at 5 GHz WiFi video streaming.

As friends and family see how well WiDi works ...
it is a shame that Intel radios aren't available in Apple iPhones and Android smartphones.
on April 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
I'm using the product from 2 weeks and I find it excellent. It plays 5.1 + 1080p without any problem on my wife's Dell XPS502. It has a little delay between Laptop picture and the TV picture, which is normally, but no offset between picture and sound ON the TV. So the quality for me is a 9 from 10. The connection is as easy as pie. Just take care that the firewall is not blocking the connection.
on January 29, 2014
Verified Purchase
The unit was not compatible with my system and had to be returned.
The return process was very quick and entirely satisfactory

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations