on September 26, 2011
I purchased this product because my wireless router was simply not offering enough signal strength to fully allow my PlayStation 3 to play comfortably online without any interruptions. The box includes two adapters, two blue ethernet cables, and product manual, quick start guide, and a CD. It's very easy to setup, and it works extremely well. Even from where the first adapter is plugged in, on the uppper level, I'm still able to get roughly 120 mbps to my PS3, which is suitable for HD video streaming. Overall, I would recommend this product for people who are having wireless unreliability or for large homes.
The only con I would give is that the first adapter that must stay plugged in to the router can get a tad hot and so can the other adapter, so I just unplug both of them when I'm not using them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2012
So, according to D-Link customer support, the "only problem" with these devices is that they have to be "on the same circuit" to connect.

That's the "only problem", huh? And were there any other problems at the play, Mrs Lincoln?

My house is about 3,000 sq ft and must have 15 separate circuits. The odds of any two rooms being on the same one are...long. In any decent-sized house, what are the chances that two arbitrary rooms will share the breaker? I mean, really?

So, useless.

The "worse than" part is this. The device has a "PowerLine LED" that's supposed to tell you "that the device is connected to the PowerLine Network." On both my units, this LED is glowing a pretty, steady green, which is supposed to mean not only that they are in communion, but are communicating at 80+ Mbps.

Turns out, not so much. According to D-Link tech support, all that LED is really saying is that the device is getting power.

Gee, I thought that's what the "Power LED" was for. Silly, silly me.

What a disappointing waste of time. I'll be requesting my return authorization pretty much the moment after I hit "return" on this review.

I wish I could give it zero stars.

ADDENDUM Turns out it's d-link tech support that's worse than useless, as is the documentation that accompanies the product. Thanks to the managing editor at SmallNetBuilder.com, I learned that PowerLine networks DO in fact work across circuits. He suggested that I reset the adapters to their factory settings and have another go.

Here's where d-link's marvelous documentation comes not play. The quick start that comes with the adapters says NOTHING about how to reset them. The downloadable user's manual says, "Press and hold the button for 1 second to reset to factory default." Yeah, well, no. Doesn't work at all, so's you'd notice. A second call to tech support taught me that the correct reset procedure is instead:

* Plug the adapter in
* Hold the reset button in for 10-20 seconds until the LEDs flash red or orange
* Release the reset button
* Unplug the adapter and leave it unplugged for 20 seconds
* Plug it back in

Just a tad more complicated than, "Press and hold the button for 1 second to reset to factory default." A tad.

Once I reset both adapters and ran through the configuration procedure again, IT WORKED! I'm very pleased with the performance boost, much less so that it took all day to achieve it.

So, d-link's customer service is basically telling people-incorrectly-that their own product is junk. If I hadn't taken one last desperate stab at salvaging the situation by posting to SmallNetBuilder (I'd already printed out the Amazon return authorization) I'd have totally, permanently, and unnecessarily given up on a technology that solves a real problem for me in my big ol' house.

The documentation-what comes with the product and what you can download-is totally misleading on a crucial subject.

And, the PowerLine LED still lies like a rug.

But, the adapters work, and so far work well. If they'd been Apple-like to set up (as part of my network upgrade, I just now replaced an older AirPort Express with a new dual-band one. It took longer to unwrap than to get working), they'd get four or five stars, but I have to subtract somewhere from one to two for the epically crummy tech support and documentation. Be prepared for some frustration if you buy these, but i have to (happily) admit that I'm finally getting my money's worth from our FiOS service.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2011
Two problems on my wireless home network are a personal PC at great distance from the Access Point/Router [AP] and a heavy resource user in the form of a security DVR. After reading reviews re the PowerLine technology for extending an Ethernet circuit I bought this D-Link Starter Kit that was advertised to get up to 500 Mbps for devices connected to a router by bridging the distance through the house wiring. Before purchasing I called D-Link Technical Support and discussed the limitations of the equipment and the technology. I was told I could obtain nearly the same speed and signal strength for devices located far away from the router, AS LONG AS BOTH ADAPTERS WERE ON THE SAME ELECTRICAL PHASE. The Technician repeated and EMPHASIZED, the operating constraint was the PHASE of the wiring, not the circuit segments.

I understood his comments to mean, in modern house wiring two legs or phases are connected to the customer distribution panel from a utility transformer. Customers then distribute the wiring throughout the house for phase to ground circuits [120 VAC] and phase to phase circuit [240 VAC]. If BOTH ADAPTERS are ELECTRICALLY connected on the SAME PHASE, regardless of the individual circuit location, then the D-Link PowerLine Device will operate as advertised. Any OTHER connection WILL yield unpredictable or inoperable results.

Because the PC problem was in the section of my house that was electrically two distribution panels away from the AP, I was not too surprised that the PowerLine solution did not work. I WAS surprised with the results from connecting the DVR, which I determined WAS on the same phase as the adapter connected to the router.

My DVR is currently "networked" through a Linksys Wireless-to-Ethernet Bridge, just like my color laser printer is connected on a separate Wireless Linksys Bridge. Unfortunately, when I access my DVR from a wireless device, i.e., laptop, remote desktop, etc., the network bogs down. Based on how the researchTechnician described the operation of their PowerLine devices, I thought I could simulate extension of the Ethernet to my peripheral devices and release some wireless demand resources to other equipment. It did not work. As soon as I accessed the DVR from one of my PCs the middle/House Icon [ which represents the quality of the Ethernet signal], would flash red. When I removed the wireless PC access, the middle light would continue to flash red then go to solid red. A different D-Link Technician said all three lights should illuminate green at all times to indicate proper high speed operation. If the middle icon "drops" to amber, then the signal/speed is deteriorating. If the icon "drops" to red, the speed is 50 Mbps or less. He said the FLASHING was an indication of data transfer. When I asked why the system did not refresh to green when the wireless access was removed, he did not have an answer. The only way I could restore the system to green was to PHYSICALLY remove/re-install one of the adapters from the power circuit. This made the device UNACCEPTABLE, so I am returning it.

I performed one other test. I connected the PowerLine devices to my network printer. On THAT device, which is also on the same electrical phase as the router device, the adapters appeared to operate as advertised. So, it may work well for devices like printers. For that reason, I rated the device as Fair or 3-Stars. I would have given it another Star, but I had some problems communicating with the initial Technician on this second call. I believe the problem was associated with insufficient training.
on January 3, 2013
The AV500 kit works well. My wireless router is located downstairs and was not providing a good enough constant signal for streaming movies to the upstairs media room. I had no problems setting the kit up and syncing them. One is attached to the D-Link 655 router and the other is providing the wired connection to the movie room for the Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player. The streaming has been good with movies and there have been no drops or hesitations in the streaming.

The main confusion most people have is that the units have to be on the same electrical circuit. This only refers to the units being plugged up initially on the same circuit in any given room and syncing them. After that has been done then you can place them anywhere in the house for use.
on December 5, 2011
Wow - when's the last time a piece of technology worked as advertised? I followed the three step process and now I'm watching streaming netflix movies on my home theater system that is in the opposite corner of the house from my wireless network.

1 - I purchased this because the wireless signal was too weak for streaming video
2 - plugged in both boxes (one in an outlet near the modem & one in the TV room)
3 - connected the supplied network cable to the modem and to the home theater
4 - It worked!

Note - I plugged in the boxes via short extension cords - that way I could still use the other outlet at each site.
- not sure how it will hold up long-term, but 1 week into things and the system is functioning and stable.
on August 27, 2013
The reason you buy this product is because your computer is no where near your router. Well, as soon as you leave the circuit where your one plug is plugged in, you get about zero signal. I have 50 mpbs internet, and usually get around 30 wireless -- I got 5-8 mbps with these. It only worked well when they were on the same electrical circuit, but again, unless you live in 500 sq ft, when the heck are you going to be on the same electrical circuit?? It defeats the whole purpose of using these things!!!!

Just as an FYI for set up- be sure to do the first steps while they are on the same circuit. They find each other super quickly and makes set-up easy. If only I got an actual signal.....
on December 27, 2012
I have been using 8 of these through out our house for over 6 months. Once they were setup correctly they work great with blazing speed. The documentation is worthless for correctly setting them up. I read other reviews and found they needed to be on the same circuit to set them up. Once they recognized each other and the security was setup up I was able to move them to other rooms and they work great. They work great in the media room for watching movies from Amazon Prime or Netflixes.They provide about 10x the download speed that I get from my wireless router. I now have one in the living room and bedrooms to plug our laptops into so we can get faster download speeds on them also.
on August 8, 2012
These things rock. I'd give a big, long, technical review, but it's really not necessary. I usually speedtest my internet at ~80Mbps down at my router, but I needed a way to get those same speeds on the opposite side of my apartment, in my room, without running an ethernet cable across floor. Plug these in, connect your ethernet cables, and they just work. I get the same download speed to the router as I do in my room and it's MUCH faster, and more consistent, than Wireless N or G. Streaming 10+GB media files across the apartment via wireless just wasn't cutting it, and this solved my problems.
on December 25, 2011
I purchased this starter kit because one of the adapters from my old set (Netgear XE102G) failed one day. I tried connecting wirelessly in my home but the response time was much too slow. At first I could not decide if I was going to replace my one failed old adapter or buy something else, so I did some research and read reviews and found this product. Well, now that I see how fast my connection speed is with this D-Link set I am actually glad my old ones stopped working. I am not techy enough to measure mbps, but I can say that the response time with these is noticeably faster to me than any other type of connection I have tried. And the set was easy to set up (just plug both adapters in and they work!) I had read somewhere that when these adapters are plugged in they take up the whole wall outlet...but I have mine plugged into the top of a standard 2 outlet wall plug unit and I can still fit another plug in the bottom socket...so that was a pleasant surprise. I would highly recommend this product to anyone.
on May 31, 2012
This product does not get 5 stars because it would not work in the same configuration as an old netgear powerline unit. The throughput is much better, on it, 500mbps vs 65, BUT it would not extend the network nearly as far as the one would. Ended up going back to the old one at my client's location and now using the d-link model at home where it works great, much faster than the wireless extender I was using before, 4x the speed! I was transferring files between computers at 1mb/s or less. now it is around 4mb/s or greater, hit almost 7mb/s.