5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, much better than lower grade D-link
Published 8 months ago by Oklahoma Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed at connecting 1TB external hard drive to network
WARNING TO BUYERS WHO WANT TO USE THIS DEVICE TO CONNECT A NETWORKED USB EXTERNAL HADR DRIVE -- ONLY WORKS FOR SMALLER THAN 500GB !

Published 15 months ago by Mark Twain

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed at connecting 1TB external hard drive to network, August 31, 2013
This review is from: D-Link Wireless AC Smartbeam 1750 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Gigabit Router (DIR-868L) (Personal Computers)

I bought this router for a very specific reason - it is currently (as of August 2013) the only 802.11AC router available with a USB 3.0 port to connect an external hard drive. I previously purchased and own the Apple Airport Time Capsule which is an 802.11AC router with 2TB or storage built in, but only a USB 2.0 port (stupid, if you ask me...)

I bought this router to replace the Apple router so I could connect an external hard drive with my photo library (iPhoto and Aperture) and access it from multiple computers. This works fine on the Apple router, but it is slow as it is only USB 2.0.

Setting up the D-Link was easy enough. But I could not get it to recognize my WD My Passport USB 3.0 1TB drive. After fiddling with the settings and Googling some troubleshooting without success, I skimmed the Amazon review and found another reviewer who after having the same problem, called D-Link customer support and found out that the router will only work with USB storage devices UP TO 500GB.

As a router it seems fine, but the description is misleading. I would think that most people wanting to utilize the USB 3.0 port for network storage will be purchasing a hard drive larger than 500GB, given that 1TB drives are less than $70 now and falling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, much better than lower grade D-link, March 22, 2014
Oklahoma Reader (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I repeatedly tried different routers, access points and bridges to connect multiple 1080p HD smart TVs to my network. Single-band routers pretty quickly overloaded the wireless capacity, even when the TV was directed to the access point rather than main router. I ended up getting this product and matching it with a Linksys Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector (WUMC710) on the 5 MHz band. It consistently delivers speeds at 500+ Mbps and the never buffers during playback. It's a great solution for that use.

The router also has a much better user interface than previous D-link models and can apparently change settings and configurations without rebooting the entire router, unlike previous versions. It sees all of the devices connected through the access points (previous versions did not) and does a very good job of managing all necessary traffic.

I have a relatively complicated set-up for residential use and this router handles it all: two Ubiquiti commercial-grade wireless access points manage seven wireless IP cameras, four wireless 1080p HD smart TVs connect wirelessly on either 2.4 or 5 GHz band, the media connector manages one 1080p HD smart TV separately, and a 24-port switch manages four wired 1080p HD smart TVs and 20 other computers and connected devices.

All in all I would say this is a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Router, November 1, 2013
I do IT work for a living, and I push this router every way possible. Phones, iPads, gaming, streaming HD to several Roku's, downloading tons of files, working remotely, this thing does it all. I am very pleased, as I always have been with D-Link routers. Great purchase, no regrets. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars handles heavy load with no problem, March 19, 2014
I have had this router since January 1 and wanted to wait to write a review. I have at times twenty devices connected to it. Laptops, wemo switches, cloud wireless cameras, wireless printer, tablets, airport express, iPhone, Wii, and Nintendo handheld. All seem to get signal with no problem. At first I thought router could not handle cameras but it was the settings in the cameras that were incorrect. Signal is really good all throughout three story home. Kids are constantly streaming videos with no issues at all. Certainly beats the crap Comcast gateway it replaced. It also happens to look nice as its a cylinder shaped router as opposed to the flat desk types. Finally clink support was good as far as updating the firmware and router support.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Good router unless you need easy time limits, falls short on usability, March 1, 2014
I was attracted to the product by the promise of performance/range and I used to own a D-Link before (loyalty).

The performance of the router is as D-Link promises - fast with very good range. Gaming, streaming, browsing - I never had any issues with it. It's a pretty basic use case mainly devices communicating through the internet pipe.

As I have kids in my household I need time limits though and that's the cause of a lot of frustration. You'd think you can set time limits like "on weekdays from 9pm to 7am in the morning". For some reason that doesn't work (begin of the time interval on a different day that end?) and sending a note to D-Link customer support though their site did not yield an answer. Their help file is vague on this scenario. May just be a simple scenario, though it not working leads to more headache and wasted more time than necessary.

The rules are enforced in a curious way - once there is a connection it will not be interrupted by a policy. That may sound good for an ftp transfer, and defeats the purpose altogether when the kid is on skype or facetime until the wee hours.

Comparing with another 'leading brand' I found that the time limits are much more transparent to set up there and overall configuration is much more usable. That highlighted to me that D-Link offers great hardware and performance, but the interface and usability are stuck in the previous decade - hard to use and not always logical. The ideas such as defining schedules and being able to have rules to apply a schedule to a policy with many devices are good. The implementation is weak.

Another thing to note - there is no easy way to wirelessly extend the range through a repeater. That's compensated for by the smartbeam technology to a degree. However, in settings where you need to cover say 200ft through some walls it still won't be enough. Other products seem to offer this wireless extensibility.

I have to assume that households with kids are a large part of the user base for these types of routers and after 9 months and too many hours trying to tinker with the rules I have resolved to move to another product. Hence, two stars off.

Admittedly, I may be using features that other may not be as critical to others. If so and you have a simple network config then this is a powerful product at a decent price.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 13, 2014 12:41:45 PM PDT
We thank you for your feedback as we do appreciate it very much. Please note that the DIR-868L does provide a Schedule feature as described on page 106 of the User Manual. Please note that you may navigate to the TOOLS configuration tab and then select SCHEDULES from the right hand side menu bar and from there you may name your schedule and customize the time frames and then add or cancel them from the router configuration table. Please note that unfortunately if you are creating a schedule that spans across the midnight time frame (00:00) then you will be forced to create two separate schedules, with one terminating at 11:59PM and the other commencing at 12:00AM. We are apologize for this inconvenience but D-Link is aware of this situation and has brought it to our Product Management team's attention. Also please note that the DIR-868L is compatible with many of our Powerline adapters and wireless range extender devices. We thank you for choosing D-Link.

4.0 out of 5 stars D-Link Wireless AC Smartbeam 1750 - The Future of Routers, July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Amazon seems to lump all the reviews together for different models, but this review is for the D-Link Wireless AC Smartbeam 1750.

First impression is this doesn't look like your ordinary router. It just reminds me more of a gaming console like Microsoft's Xbox or something... or maybe even a high-tech thermos. It is made out of plastic and it feels a bit cheap, but it's light. Overall, though, I do like the design and it looks much nicer in a room than your standard blocky outdated looking router.

The router just didn't get a new modern makeover, but the features is what is more impressive.

You have simultaneous dual band 2.5 and 5 ghz connection. With the 5 ghz, you can up to 162.5MBps!

On the back, it has:
- USB port for connecting USB thumb drives/hard drive for easy access.
- 4 gigabit LAN ports and 1 port for connecting to your internet.
- WPS button for quick configuration to connecting new devices
- Power button
- and Power connector.

Wirelss N replaced b/g connection, but now AC is faster than N. You will need to get wireless AC adapter to take advantage of those speeds.

If you are fortunate enough to have a fios internet connection, you need to get this and should not be settling for a router that's anything less; it would make no sense at all.

I also like the mobile app allows to access the router on the go whereever you are.

Don't bottleneck your internet speeds with a slow router. Sharing/streaming HD over the network with a Wireless B/G is just not possible. This device will make it possible to stream smoothly without problems. For the amount of features, the price is very competitive as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough info in products details, October 2, 2013
Item says it can have a USB storage drive connected to it but Does not tell you the biggest it will handle is 500gb. I bought a 1TB and now it has to be used with PC or until firmware upgrade comes out.. Little discouraging!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars DIR-868L: Good addition to AC high performance routers, May 15, 2013
This review is for DIR-868L.

UPDATED 5/24: After testing it for a few days I decided to stay with R6300, while I liked the design of 868L, web interface and feature set it just didn't deliver the same (or better) bandwidth/range as now a year old Netgear R6300.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
Love trying out new routers, so I bought this one so I could compare to my trusty Netgear R6300 that I owned for almost a year (you can see my review for R6300 in my profile)

My needs: Improve performance for all my N clients in 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands. I don't own any AC clients to test the speeds.

Initial thoughts:

Design. I like the tube/cylinder design which is a bit unusual to see it in a router. It's difficult to compare to the size to R6300 (which is big already), but it is pretty tall and round.

Performance. I setup the same settings as my Netgear and started testing various things. I've placed the router at the same location and . It's located 3-4 walls, ~27 feet on 2nd floor.
- Signal strength. Good to Excellent, 4-5 bars 120-180 Mbps. R6300 is the same, but shows occasionally goes up to 300 Mbps which does make different in file transfer
- HD Youtube streaming 1080p. No difference noticed in buffering or playback
- Pages load the same on both routers
- File transfer: Transferring 10GB file from NAS 868L averages at 6MB/sec vs R6300 at 10MB/sec.
- Firmware appears to be more stable then R6300 was at lunch, but I didn't try every single feature
- The 868L has dual core ARM processor which is much much faster then 600Mhz processor found in R6300, but I didn't notice any difference in performance and I do have about 20 wireless clients that some stream HD content, although not at the same time.

Not so hot.
- While playing with it for a few days I noticed that 868L offered shorter range and performance then R6300
- Nexus 4 and some no brand tablet signal strength shows a bit lower then R6300 does using in the sapots. Also both devices constantly lost connection to 868L.

Conclusion: While this router is still on revision 1.0 the performance may still be optimized in the future updates, but currently it doesn't offer any advantage over a year old AC routers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed by D-Link once more, April 5, 2014
i had beed using the DIR-655 (and DAP-1522) for (close to 10) years, then it started to develop a "hiccup" and would drop the wi-fi signal from time to time, well one of them was doing it... so I replaced them both. The 1750 was a great upgrade from the DIR-655, I really enjoy the dual band feature as our ROKU streams our movies on the 5 gig frequency and the laptop is happy on the 2.4 gig frequency.

The cloud storage was very easy to setup once I did a firmware update on the router.

I would recommend the 1750 to any that want a solid, durable router.

4.0 out of 5 stars A workhorse with no problems one month in., August 6, 2013
Before you get too far...no, I'm not a technophile, and no, I haven't actually used the AC band on this router. I bought it to future-proof my home network so far as possible. I am as pleased as can be. This router has great range, covering my entire 2500 sq ft ranch home with no issues (and it's located right by the door at one end of the house). It also serves up blazing fast transfers of full HD video simultaneously to a Kindle Fire (also a fabulous product, by the way) and my big Samsung TV in the living room. Setup was a breeze and done within 10 minutes. I haven't even scratched the surface on security features, media server capabilities, or any of the rest, but the user interface looks fairly easy. This is a great product in my opinion. Trouble free operation and the performance you would expect at the price point.