4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive router for both novice and advanced users
Published 13 months ago by Peter Marone III

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed at connecting 1TB external hard drive to network
WARNING TO BUYERS WHO WANT TO USE THIS DEVICE TO CONNECT A NETWORKED USB EXTERNAL HADR DRIVE -- ONLY WORKS FOR SMALLER THAN 500GB !

Published 11 months ago by Mark Twain

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed at connecting 1TB external hard drive to network, August 31, 2013
This review is from: D-Link Wireless AC Smartbeam 1750 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Gigabit Router (DIR-868L) (Personal Computers)

I bought this router for a very specific reason - it is currently (as of August 2013) the only 802.11AC router available with a USB 3.0 port to connect an external hard drive. I previously purchased and own the Apple Airport Time Capsule which is an 802.11AC router with 2TB or storage built in, but only a USB 2.0 port (stupid, if you ask me...)

I bought this router to replace the Apple router so I could connect an external hard drive with my photo library (iPhoto and Aperture) and access it from multiple computers. This works fine on the Apple router, but it is slow as it is only USB 2.0.

Setting up the D-Link was easy enough. But I could not get it to recognize my WD My Passport USB 3.0 1TB drive. After fiddling with the settings and Googling some troubleshooting without success, I skimmed the Amazon review and found another reviewer who after having the same problem, called D-Link customer support and found out that the router will only work with USB storage devices UP TO 500GB.

As a router it seems fine, but the description is misleading. I would think that most people wanting to utilize the USB 3.0 port for network storage will be purchasing a hard drive larger than 500GB, given that 1TB drives are less than $70 now and falling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive router for both novice and advanced users, July 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing to grab my attention with this router was it's ease of initial setup and use for the novice user (aka my mom, or others who use the internet, but aren't very computer/network knowledgeable). As I delved into the router interface further, I then noticed the depth of advanced settings and controls that would please just about anyone that has the knowledge/desire to delve that far into a router configuration.

Setup is a quick five-step process, and hits all the basics to provide a WPA2 protected, open broadcast wireless network. I have high amounts of confidence that even my mom could take this out of the box to operational status quickly, without need for help. The router does come with a pre-configured/default network name and WPA2 passkey, and the setup will prompt to change these if desired. Another nice feature for the novice user is the included network information card that comes with the pre-configured network info, plus enough space to write down any customized changes made during setup.

Once setup, I jumped into the router web interface to do further configuration and look at advanced options. The interface is well designed - unlike many of my home router/gateway experiences in the past, the interface is clean and consistent, well organized, and even seems to have a fully developed help system (most others always seem half-baked and missing good information). Everything you'd want for fine control is here and quite detailed, even the option for a guest network on each band. One setting I'd recommend to avoid is the captcha option on the router login page - this only provides for frustration when you want to login due to (at least my own) inability to properly identify look-a-like characters used in the picture. After multiple attempts for each login, I quickly disabled this feature (it's not enabled by default).

The device itself deserves kudos - it's a sleek, simple, aesthetic design. The front of the device has two lights - power and internet connectivity. The rear has the network ports and the power button (large enough to find and use without having to turn the device around), and a single USB port for attached storage. Space between all the ports is adequate to ensure the USB device and five network cables could be plugged in at the same time without fighting for space, however, the USB port is at the top of the device, which may cause problems with USB drives that tend to have short cables. I would have preferred the USB port to be near the bottom instead.

All in all, this is a well designed and thought out device. I would still recommend this router to my friends/family who aren't very computer/network savvy, as well as recommend that those who are network savvy should take a serious look at it.

Pros:

Easy setup
Excellent web interface
Advanced configuration options
Design
Compatible with current/legacy wireless devices
"future proofed" (for a little while at least) with A/C capability

Cons:
USB port location
captcha difficulty

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, much better than lower grade D-link, March 22, 2014
Oklahoma Reader (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I repeatedly tried different routers, access points and bridges to connect multiple 1080p HD smart TVs to my network. Single-band routers pretty quickly overloaded the wireless capacity, even when the TV was directed to the access point rather than main router. I ended up getting this product and matching it with a Linksys Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector (WUMC710) on the 5 MHz band. It consistently delivers speeds at 500+ Mbps and the never buffers during playback. It's a great solution for that use.

The router also has a much better user interface than previous D-link models and can apparently change settings and configurations without rebooting the entire router, unlike previous versions. It sees all of the devices connected through the access points (previous versions did not) and does a very good job of managing all necessary traffic.

I have a relatively complicated set-up for residential use and this router handles it all: two Ubiquiti commercial-grade wireless access points manage seven wireless IP cameras, four wireless 1080p HD smart TVs connect wirelessly on either 2.4 or 5 GHz band, the media connector manages one 1080p HD smart TV separately, and a 24-port switch manages four wired 1080p HD smart TVs and 20 other computers and connected devices.

All in all I would say this is a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the AC wars begin., August 10, 2012
This is a great router. I also have several other model DLink routers.
This will be a new generation of router and Wifi. Client side is still waiting on AC support so keep looking for wireless adapters that will support the new AC wireless speeds. They are coming.

People fail to understand that most any Wifi router has issues, especially in area with numerous Wifi routers near by on 2.4Ghz. These are using up all the channels and thus people are seeing disconnections from there router as it has to stop and rescan for a different channel. In most cases the router can re-establish a connection, however sometimes it can't due to the channels being used up. If your aread is congested with 2.4Ghz wireless APs, then you need to think about switching to 5Ghz.

As for NAT, that depends on the Host ISP modem. People fail to understand that if the ISP modem has a built in router already, this WILL produce NAT issues. It's preferred to bridge these modems if ISPs and the modems support this. If not, it's recommended to use DMZ on the modem and put the external router into the modems DMZ. ALL routers work well. it's how they are set up and what they are set up with that can dictate how they work for users. This IS a good router. People need to research there needs and product details before buying so they buy what they really need.

If people are having problems with there routers, Please visit the mfr support Dlink forums for information help. DLink has a great support forum with experienced users to help out. You'll never know if you don't ask.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, relatively cheap router. Some issues, though., August 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THIS SPECIFIC MODEL: D-Link Wireless AC 1000 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Broadband Router (DIR-820L).

NOTE: In writing this review, I took around at a few of the other reviews to see if there were any major points I may have missed. What I noticed was a little disturbing. Amazon has combined all the reviews for D-Link's 802.11ac routers into one big pool of reviews. There are six separate models here, and you need to MAKE SURE that the review you are reading is ACTUALLY for the model you are looking for info on. Bit slimy on Amazon's part I think to do that kind of thing, because you could be reading a review about a feature for a higher end router, and buy the lower end, and not have that feature there. The review starts here:

I'm what I'd like to consider a good home tech guy. I'm not the biggest of super geeks with it, but I know enough to get things up and running from the ground up. I'm familiar with a lot of the issues surrounding routers and their working and not working. My point here is that I don't consider myself a neophyte, nor am I the biggest tech head in the universe. Somewhere in the middle.

I was looking at new routers, and this one caught my eye. Speaking of "caught my eye", I wanted to say something visually about this router. It's a small thing, and it's shaped like a tube. In fact, from a purely visual standpoint, it reminds me of the probe from the fourth Star Trek movie that came looking for whales. It also looks a lot like the new version of the Mac Pro that hasn't yet gone on sale as of the writing of this (Aug 2013). But that bears not at all on my feelings towards the router, just a few casual remarks based on the purely physical aspect. If you want a size comparison, it's slightly smaller in size (but not in shape) to a Yankee Candle 22oz tumbler candle. Take the lid off the candle and they're virtually the same size.

Actually, there is one issue where the size comes into play. Given this router is SO SMALL, the cables leading up to it could be an issue. Unless you're someone who is really strict with keeping their cables nice and tidy, the small size of this router could make the cables rather noticeable. On the back of this are the port for Internet in, and then four Ethernet ports that devices plug into. There's also a USB port on the back as well as a place to plug in the power adapter. On top of that, there's a WPS & a power button. So that's a lot on a router that is slightly under 7.5 inches tall (I measured). There's no bulk on the router to hide the cables, especially since it's a "Standing up" router. It's not like a flat "lie down" router, where the cables can be hid in the back behind a bookshelf or something. If you are putting cables in all the ports, it could be messy. I however, only will put one thing in the ports other than hooking up to my internet connection (so two, I guess). Finally, since the thing is fairly light, it could quite EASILY be pulled over if your cable connections are too taut. So you might want to keep that in mind with your cabling.

But that's enough of the physical and cosmetic. What about the router performance and all that? Well, first off, I need to say one thing. The biggest selling point for this router is the 802.11ac being put into what is a small/lesser end router. I unfortunately cannot test that, because I don't have any actual devices that have 802.11ac in them. I will have to update my review later when I get something (new iPhone 5S maybe?)

What's in the box?

* The router (duh)
* Power cable
* Networking cable (which was blue - why do they do that? Can't they be a more neutral colour?)
* Quick Install Guide
* Wi-Fi Config Card
* Advertisement for their Cloud services

I did glance at the install guide, because while I generally don't need them, I'd be negligent if there was some rogue piece of info in there that I'd need. With a new router, the one thing you will need is the IP address of the router, so you can config the thing. But beyond that, I know my way around routers well enough.

One thing that I do like about this that I don't believe I've seen on any other router is the fact that the 2Ghz & 5Ghz bands come with a decent password in there. By default on most routers in the past, they have NO security in place out of the box. While I would still prefer the default username and password be something other than "Admin - blank password", the fact that it has some sort of security out of the box is nice.

Speaking of that security, they certainly go out of the way to make sure you know what the passwords are. You can't claim you didn't know unless you're thicker than a whale omelet. There is a sticker on the top of the router with this info. Also on the bottom of the router is the place where you can get the SN & model number. The default passwords are there, too. They're also on the aforementioned Wi-Fi config card.

Now again with my skills at home networking. The one thing I never do is use any kind of software that these things "recommend" you use. In my opinion, they just contribute to the "clog" of pointless software on one's computer. Fortunately, there's no CD to install from here. The setup tells you to go to the IP address on your local LAN, and that's the way to go. Glad to see that. You can also set up via a mobile device, but I opted for the more traditional "through your browser" setup.

Anyway, after the usual cable modem reset, we're up and running pretty quickly. I do like to fiddle around with settings, so diving in and looking at all the settings is fun for me. I won't get into all the individual settings here, as my point in writing all this is not to teach you about every setting. But all the usual suspects are in there insofar as router features go. There might be some individual "thing" that someone wants that's not in here, but what is presented works for me in terms of security and features, so I'll give that a thumbs up.

Anyway, it works QUITE well over the g/n bands that dominate all the devices in my house. Coverage is quite good. The DLink router I had two routers ago had coverage issues, but not this one. Very strong signals even on the other side of my house. The router is in one corner, and I still get a good signal all the way on the other side (my house is about 1875 sq ft). I've seen some other reviews for this router say that the overall range is lessened with this vs routers previously in use. I don't see that, I wonder if that's down to interference, types of devices, and things of that nature. I guess YMMV.

This is a dual band router, which helps with the networking realities at my house. When I had a single band router, I had issues with network drops, and that's not been an issue either with my previous router (which was also a dual band), but with this one as well. My network is pretty fast, and unless I'm doing some epic copying of files, the network bandwidth is no problem either, and this is an all wireless network, save for one single device (my TiVo).

There is a mobile app that you can install and use to configure and monitor your home network if you're not around. That does require you to use their cloud services. I don't personally have an issue with that, but I know some do. It is cool if you're not at home, and say your wife and/or kids have some problem, you could possibly correct it without actually being there (depending on what the problem actually is of course).

If you already have a dual band wireless N router at your house, I'm not so sure this is a huge jump over that. Granted, the 802.11ac is the big draw here, so if you are in need of that, or just want to future proof your router, then this is something to look at.

To sum up, it's a decent if not stellar router that provides good, stable access, with a configuration setup that can be used by either a novice or an expert and is relatively painless to install and configure (provided you're not a complete neophyte with stuff like this).

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, great range, October 9, 2013
To be fair I've only had this a week, so I can't judge long term performance.

Purchased because my previous router wasn't strong enough to extend the network through out my large home. This was recommended to me by a friend. It has done the job - the network reaches further and (I think) runs faster.

It was also SUPER EASY to set up. I was very impressed with the user-friendliness of the set up process. So non-techy people should have no problems getting up and running on this router.

5.0 out of 5 stars handles heavy load with no problem, March 19, 2014
I have had this router since January 1 and wanted to wait to write a review. I have at times twenty devices connected to it. Laptops, wemo switches, cloud wireless cameras, wireless printer, tablets, airport express, iPhone, Wii, and Nintendo handheld. All seem to get signal with no problem. At first I thought router could not handle cameras but it was the settings in the cameras that were incorrect. Signal is really good all throughout three story home. Kids are constantly streaming videos with no issues at all. Certainly beats the crap Comcast gateway it replaced. It also happens to look nice as its a cylinder shaped router as opposed to the flat desk types. Finally clink support was good as far as updating the firmware and router support.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for one month then started disconnecting, May 7, 2013
Tuckers Kahuna "John" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I liked this router at first, it was very fast, the wifi was good, and it had a very comprehensive web interface. But after a month it started disconnecting devices from the network randomly. Then after 35 days (five days after Amazon return policy expires!) it disconnects from my cable modem for good. I don't know whether this started happening because of a firmware update or if it was hardware. But it's going in the trash :(. I wish you better luck than me.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 4, 2013 1:39:06 PM PDT
We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the DIR-865L. D-Link suggests that you visit www.d-Link.com/support to make sure you have upgraded to the most current firmware version available for this device or if you need additional assistance with troubleshooting. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for being a D-Liink customer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough info in products details, October 2, 2013
Item says it can have a USB storage drive connected to it but Does not tell you the biggest it will handle is 500gb. I bought a 1TB and now it has to be used with PC or until firmware upgrade comes out.. Little discouraging!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Router, November 1, 2013
I do IT work for a living, and I push this router every way possible. Phones, iPads, gaming, streaming HD to several Roku's, downloading tons of files, working remotely, this thing does it all. I am very pleased, as I always have been with D-Link routers. Great purchase, no regrets. Worth every penny.

Rate and Discover Movies