on July 14, 2011
I've decided to pack this thing and send it back to Amazon after having it up for less than a day. I was just tired of the constant rebooting, and it even disconnects at one point while on the phone with Dlink support which terminates the conversation because my VoIP runs through the router. I went back to my old DIR-655 router which works great except for VoIP latency issues That I have been experiencing...

****** UPDATE *******

I have decided to tweak the router a bit before sending it back to Amazon, and after messing around with all the settings, OpenDNS DNS server addresses seems to be the issue. I went back to using the DNS servers assigned by my ISP, and voila, my restarting issue went away at least for now. No more choppy VoIP calls, so I have decided to hold on to this router for now..

**** Update ****
I discovered OpenDNS was not the culprit after reconnecting my external USB drive to the router. The router went back to rebooting itself every 15 minutes once the drive was reconnected. I disconnected the drive, and the router has been up for about 5 days now with no issue. I hope Dlink address the issue in the next firmware release for this router..
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This router is absolutely disappointing in performance. I spent a long time with this router (about 3 months) just trying to troubleshoot and fix to get it up to acceptable condition. Bottom line is that D-Link should have just scrapped this model. Maybe the higher-end models like the D-Link HD Media Router 2000 (DIR-827) or the D-Link HD Media Router 3000 (DIR-857) perform better, and if so D-Link should have just sold those models.

Let's get to the bad parts:
-Web GUI is the same tired layout. Please change!
-Single-band (2.4 GHz), not dual-band. I have several boxes that utilize the 5 GHz band to stream videos (especially HD movies) and unfortunately this router only has the 2.4 GHz band. Slows down wireless speed with more than one wireless user.
-SharePort Plus is only USB 2.0 (not USB 3.0)
-Wireless signal is weak. When I compared it to other wireless-N routers (DIR-645, DIR-655, and even the Linksys WRT110) this DIR-657 had the weakest signal. I even brought this router upstairs (installed in the main hallway) and tested the signal for upstairs use, and the DIR-655 downstairs still has a stronger signal and faster data speed than the DIR-657.
-Constantly drops connection. This happens with any device (iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro, PCs) connected to this router. When I switch to any other wireless router, no dropped connection.
-As a router, data transfer speed is really poor. Streaming an HD movie from a NAS onto a hard-wired computer works fine, but if another person watches YouTube from another computer or Netflix from an iPad, then forget it... the HD movie will stutter and exhibit delays. This does not happen when the DIR-645 or the DIR-655 is set up as the router.
-Lately, the router needs constant rebooting. It started out requiring a monthly restart, then every other week, then every week, and now I need to restart the router 2-3 times a week. Completely unacceptable.
-I have no use for an SD card slot on a router, since I upload data on my computer (not my router). This seems more like a gimmick addon, with little or no functional usability.

Are there any good parts? There probably are, but not enough for to overcome the long list of negatives. I try not to use this router anymore, since these problems still exist even with the latest firmware update (1.01).

Maybe my setup is too advanced for the DIR-657, although none of the other wireless routers have a problem with this setup. If this is a stand-alone wireless router, and you have one or two devices connected to it, it may work. I let my friend use it for a week. He connected his laptop via ethernet/RJ45 and only used it to send and receive emails. He did not really surf the web (or surf it extensively). He had no complaints, but he also did not really use it as much as the average internet user. So I suppose it can work if you don't expect too much out of it, and if you don't go through a lot of internet and/or local bandwidth.

For what I want or need it to do, I cannot recommend this router.
on September 6, 2011
I've been a long time use of D-Link products. I bought the this to upgrade from my 655. Big problems from day 1, it constantly locks up and needs rebooted. 2-3 times a day. So I did an RMA and got the replacement. Did the configuration from scratch. After a little time same problem. Constantly locking up. I tried turning off QoS, firewall, etc. The configuration I used almost identically matches what I used on the 655. The interface is exactly the same and so are the settings for the most part. This device really seems like a minor update from the 655, basically just a repackaging of the 655 internals with some new antenna tech. I'm using a static IP from my ISP, static LAN IP addresses, and a small DHCP pool. Nothing to complex. Seems like I'm not the only person with this problem.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2012
This product regularly (~2x/hr) drops wireless clients when streaming media from one wireless client to another. I have tried modifying every wireless setting in the router's firmware, to no effect.

It is very fast when it works, but it doesn't work reliably.

**Update**

Shipping and restocking were too expensive to RMA this unit, so I let it sit in the corner of my office for a month. Yesterday I pulled it out and tried to get SharePort working, since that would at least be *something*. No such luck. :( This device is just unbelievably bad, and it's not just my unit - the whole device suffers from multiple poor design choices.

To expound on my earlier review:

* The wireless signal is weak with short range.

* Repeatedly (~2x/hr) drops connections when streaming media (even if only one side is wireless and the other side is wired) or when a Wii is connected.

* Router firmware requires constant reboots when changing the simplest settings such as enabling/disabling access control rules. Each reboot takes ~60 seconds. This means you spend hours setting it up instead of minutes. Tip: the latest firmware (v1.01, Mar 2012) does allow you to make several changes and then reboot once.

* Cannot disable NAT to operate unit as a bridge.

* Does not support SharePort through the WAN port. I couldn't get SharePort working at all, actually.

In short, this is a terrible, terrible product. Seriously, I have gotten no use whatsoever out of it, and it's too expensive to return. I just paid $$ for some expensive trash. Seriously. I'm throwing it away tomorrow. I wouldn't even donate this to GoodWill - why give someone else the pain?

Unbelievably bad!
on May 4, 2013
DO NOT BUY!!

Check the time/date section, it ends with 2012 (must be a mayan router).
Constantly drops connections.
Dlink service was awful.
If you create a pw longer than approx. 12 chars, it locks you out of the router (hello factory reset).
I wasted hours on this.
on April 28, 2013
I found this router on sale on new egg for $20 plus free shipping. I thought to myself "wow a broadband wifi router with media port and gigabit connection?! Awesome!!!!!" As the saying goes you get what you pay for. I have spent numerous frustrating hours resetting this router playing around with the settings to see what mods I could make to improve the reliability of it to no avail. And good luck getting support from DLINK. I have sent them numerous messages to which they have not responded. I am going to go purchase a Linksys like I should have done in the first place. It's what I had before this piecer and never had any issues with it.
on January 21, 2013
We installed the router and all devices connected not even 8 hours later all devices started to disconnect. This happened for 2 days. Ordered a Netgear and truthfully I think all routers have their issues but I've never had one last 8 hours and start disconnecting over and over again. Wond't buy an D-Link again. We had a Belkin prior to that and although CNET gives it a thumbs up plan on it lasting a year before it dies. Let's see how long the NetGear last.
on April 8, 2013
At first I was impressed with this router; the performance coupled with the sleek design was very appealing.
But that did not last very long.
About 1 1/2 months into owning this device the troubles began. It would drop my mobile devices connection multiple times a day.
The incessant rebooting of this router (2-3 times per day) is just ridiculous. Its range is also to laugh at. This unit is so poorly designed that if you expect to get signal 20-25 feet thru2-3 walls, forget it!
Other routers I have owned have had no problems in this same house, exact same locations/set up.
D-link's Tech support was helpful in trying to diagnose the problem. But bear in mind to allow yourself a couple of hours for this process, based on my dealings with them the average wait time is over 40 minutes. (Sadly this is now the norm)
Six calls later and several attempts at troubleshooting my issues they escalated my ticket to a higher level and issued me an RMA.
I sent the unit back (at my expense) and about two weeks later, I received a refurbished replacement unit.
Much to my horror, after investing many hours of my time, working within their system, the replacement performed worst that the unit I had sent them.
I have given up! (Guess that is what they are counting on) I can't afford to spend my free time on hold to get another RMA. (I have already devoted way too much time on this)
I recently ordered a replacement unit (never again D-link, has become my motto) and as soon as I get it installed. I will take a sledge hammer to this piece of crap.
To be fair, I do have one positive experience whit this unit, it does provide a very reliable connection to my wired devices.
on November 5, 2013
worked 6 months, then starting intermittently dropping connection to my wireless devices. DLINK no help in resolving the problem, now I have a router that I can't return to Amazon and that DLINK won't support technically, so technically I don't have a router.
on September 6, 2013
Initially it was requiring rebooting at least once per day.
We called in D-Link support, they walked us through the download/update,
and as of this morning, no more rebooting it.

Pretty sure we'll be keeping it.