Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: White|Change

on December 31, 2014
I made sure I updated the firmware on both the D-Link and my wireless router before testing it out. I have my wireless router upstairs towards one end of the house, and this thing downstairs more towards the middle of the house. I was able to connect the D-Link extender to my router with no problem and set it up to use the same SSID as my router. I connected to the wifi with my phone and the connection was still dropping out, even standing just 10 feet away from it. My router by itself CAN actually reach to the other side of the house. I have a blu-ray player that connects to it fine that is about as far away as it can be in my house. The individual tablets and phones have a harder time keeping their connection, so I bought the D-Link to try to boost the coverage. It didn't help like I thought it would.

I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 star because I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that there is something in the house interfering with the signal that is causing the drops. But I still expected it to perform better.
Color: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
NOTE: While this product allow for WPS automated configuration, I prefer to use the manual method so that I can configure it exactly for my purposes. WPS configuration will allow you to join the device to an existing wireless network in your home and use the manufacturer defaults for connecting to and extending the network.

After plugging in the d-Link device, I connected to the new wireless network it creates. Your device will come with two little cards in the box with a personalized wireless SSID and password to connect with. My laptop saw the new wireless network immediately and I connected without issue.

Loading a browser and pointing it to the specific URL (also on the card in the box), starts the setup wizard. In a matter of 2-3 screens you will be up and running with two main configuration options. You may either choose to create a new SSID that your wireless devices can connect to (the d-link, which will then relay as a normal wireless device to the main router), or you may choose to create an extender by using the same SSID as your primary wireless router - this is the option I selected.

When choosing the extender option it will replicate the SSID and password settings for you, and then reboot to connect directly to your main router as a repeater/extender. At that point you'll be connecting to the main SSID that you are used to, and not the unique SSID printed on the d-Link card. You can still connect to the unique d-Link URL if you want to adjust other configuration settings like: DHCP vs. STATIC IP, enable or disable IPV6, and the name of the repeater. The only thing I changed was to enable IPV6 on my local network, otherwise I left it on DHCP and did not change the name.

I went over to my main router and the wireless device showed up in the active list. I unplugged the d-Link from the power and took it across the house into the kitchen and plugged it in there. I verified that the wireless signal on that SSID has now improved on the other side of the house, as well as on the back patio (which is why I wanted the extender in the first place).

The form factor of this little gadget is also appealing - it's TINY and takes up less space that a power plug for your wireless phone or dust buster or whatever you might have plugged into an outlet in the kitchen (or wherever you want to put it).

I'm going to give this 4 stars. I took one star away because I did reset the device and try the WPS option and it did not behave as described in the manual. The light never turned amber like it was supposed to, and after pushing the WPS button it never went to solid green like it was supposed to. This could be an error in the documentation, because I was still able to get the device connected. But - I like documentation to be correct.

Enjoy the product and happy range extending!
on April 7, 2015
Bought 2 of these today - after a bit trial and error they are working great.

My main router is an Asus RT-N66U (with Merlin FW) and I am using D-Link extenders to extend to some areas of the house and yard that previously had poor coverage.

As others have pointed out it is important that the extender is getting a good signal as well as checking the signal from the extender to the client device. If either link is poor the extender won't work well. Just checking the signal strength on the client tells you nothing about the signal the extender is getting from the router.

Fortunately my router reports the signal strength from devices (including the extenders) that are connected to it. I can see both extenders have an RSSI of ~ 70-72 dBm and a link speed of over 100 mbps - so that side seems to be working well.

To set the extenders up I made sure they were updated to the latest firmware (1.21 from D-Link website vs 1.1 on units when unpacked). I then did a manual set up on both including setting them to use the same SSID as my main network and placed them in the locations I thought would work well to extend the network. As above RSSI and link speeds looked good in these locations.

I then tested some client devices and was delighted to see speed tests (okla, Comcast etc) reporting around 20 Mbps - not bad for these remote locations. I then reset my router (for other reasons) and noticed while the RSSI remained the same the reported links speeds dropped to a few Mbps and speeds tests stuttered and also reporting a few Mbps.

After some experimenting I found the poor link speeds and speed tests only occurred when the router was using 40 MHz channel bandwidth in the 2.4 Ghz range. I have now set the router to use 20 MHz only for 2.4 GHz (which not a problem for me as all my devices with high bandwidth needs are either using 5GHz or are connected wired) and both extenders are working perfectly.

My suspicion is that some of those who are reporting intermittent performance may have routers set to 20/40 Mhz on 2.4 Ghz and their routers are switching between modes.

As an added bonus I see both extenders are getting IPv6 addresses.

Will see how reliable they are over the next week or so - but for now very happy with them.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 8, 2013
Compact, inobtrusive, well made unit but a disappointment. When it is configured - not a no-brainer - it really does pick up and boost the wifi signal from the floor below. So far, so good. But every time my wireless device (iPad) connects with a different wifi network (on the road, at the office - or even the main downstairs router) and I come back to use the Extender's network, I have to reconfigure the settings to beat the "can't connect" error messages. Not really what I had in mind. Maybe there's a reason that the extender's network signal can't be automatically remembered and connected like any other network anywhere, but beware. And each call to DLink support began with "your wait time may exceed 35 minutes."
on February 7, 2014
I'm not sure what happened; it could have been an isolated glitch. The D-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender worked passably for about a week, but then suddenly and inexplicably stopped working. Any attempts to reset or reconfigure the router were ineffective. At one point in attempting to sort out the issue we noticed that the Wi-Fi signal was actually stronger WITHOUT the extender activated.

We returned the item and received a prompt refund, which was greatly appreciated. Two stars for the item itself, but an extra star for the company's response to the issue. Again, this may have been an isolated incident, but it's nice to know that the company stands by its products and is willing to refund to customers without fuss.
on February 27, 2016
I was nervous & reluctant to try this device considering several factors that really intimidated me.
I won't detail it here, but this device is GREAT!
The install pdf guide was dead on & prepared me how to follow (what to expect with) the install directions by means of the D-link software.
It was was quick & painless and I thank D-link for their simplicity to install this device & it even made ME look like a genius.
Previous attempts to connect wireless printers all failed until I printed the details of the wifi status report which said our wifi signal was weak. With a new xfinity wifi/router combo device that claims 2.4 & 5.0 GHz for all the newest family of routers (IEEE 802.11n or 802.11g) I expected better range
from the thing. We have a small house with a couple of walls as signal deterrents but lesser, inexpensive units did not have as much difficulty.
ANYWHO, all is good, all wireless devices work regardless of it's location thanks to the brilliant design & install software of this device!!!
on September 9, 2014
The DAP-1320 worked very well in my installation. I have 20 Mbps internet connection which typically runs ~22 Mbps download, 2 Mbps upload through my D-Link wireless router on a direct connected PC. My wireless connected laptop runs ~12 Mbps /2 Mbps connected WiFi to the router. When connected through the DAP-1320 extender, the speed tested slightly less at ~9 Mbps / 2 Mbps, but fully acceptable. The DAP-1320 has excellent range and smooth transitions to the main router. Have had no issues with the unit resetting, It stays solidly connected to router. Been through several short term power interruptions due to recent storm activity, and the system has returned to normal each time, including the DAP-1320. Our problem had been poor WiFi strength on our patio, The DAP-1320 is located where it gets a good signal from the router and is located on an inside wall near the patio. Signal strength on the patio is now full bars on laptops and Iphones. Very satisfied with this product. Range is easily 50 feet as I walk around the house.
on September 30, 2014
It worked for a couple of weeks. Then it lost its connection to my main wireless network, and refused to reconnect properly, even after resetting it, as well as updating firmware. I gave up and unplugged it. Just gave it one last try and it seems to be working now.

The setup utility is good, but I have spent way too much time trying to get it work.
on March 10, 2015
This little device has been working for about four months now, and it has been great. It solved our connectivity issues. I like it's size and portability. It is unobtrusive. I think the key to success with it is to be sure that it is located such that it receives a good signal from the router. I've recommended this to a couple of friends and bought one as a birthday gift for our son, who also is having a good experience with it.
on February 28, 2016
I had to follow the instructions for the manual setup, but it was easy and worked the first time. The signal at the far end of the house went from intermittent or 1 bar to 2-4 bars out of 4, depending on where I am. 4 bars downstairs next to the unit, 2-3 bars upstairs above the room where I installed it. I will likely install another in the carport to extend the range to my back yard and shed.