Published on July 23, 2012 by dakishimesan

I just spend over TWO HOURS on the phone with D Link. It took me an hour to get a person to talk to...
They just issued me an RMA number. Now I will be without a router for several weeks until I jump through all their hoops to have them send me a new one. This sucks!

Also, I never did access any of this routers features.
...and I thought my Linksys...
Published 17 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars reliable, solid router with wireless performance comparable to routers twice as expensive, July 23, 2012
dakishimesan "Daniel" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Wireless N 300 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Broadband Router (DIR-605L) (Personal Computers)
In my capacity as IT admin, general geek, and most importantly family tech support rep, I make lots of recommendations for tech purchasing. So when both my parents and myself needed new routers to replace aging 802.11g routers, I went to work researching. Long story short -- this router from Dlink, the 605L, is extremely reliable and has excellent range, which are the most important criteria for home users.

Solid routers are notoriously difficult to find/recommend. You may have noticed that even the highest-rated routers on Amazon (such as the Cisco-Linksys e4200v2 and the Asus Dark Knight n66u) both have as many as 15-30% 1 and 2-star reviews! Why is there so much divergence in opinion? For one, networking equipment performance varies depending on location installed, and the experience of the installer. Choosing the right place to put the router, upgrading to the most stable firmware, and choosing the right channel/band/bandwidth are just as important as the device itself.

In my personal research I narrowed the field down to 4 models: two expensive, feature-rich models (the above-mentioned linksys and asus), capable of hard-drive/printer sharing, gigabit switch ports, and three-stream dual-band operation for maximum bandwidth, and two inexpensive but reliable, stable, and easily configured models (this model, Dlink 605L, and the linksys-cisco e3200). If the advanced features I just mentioned don't interest you, the cheaper models are all you need -- and at less than forty dollars, the 605L (this router) is a clear winner. (What about dual-band 2.4/5Ghz vs single-band 2.4Ghz operation of this router? In most locations, even though there is more traffic on the 2.4ghz band, it usually has better range. Bandwidth on the 5ghz channel tends to be higher but only at close to medium range. For most, 2.4ghz works just fine and supports the most devices.)

I settled on the 605L and bought it two weeks ago, setting it up in a relatively central location in a medium-sized single story house. In that time it has operated reliably with zero connection drops or required resets since I plugged it in 2 weeks ago, which is a remarkable feat in and of itself. Also, it has excellent range; I would estimate the wireless range is in the 65-75th percentile for home routers and is comparable to the range of most $60-80 routers. My parents' furthest device is about 40 feet away with 4 walls in between, and it gets about 50% signal which is enough for ~50Mbit of bandwidth (half of what you get when you plug in to the 100Mbit ports on back of the router, of which there are 4). Since most home internet connections are less than 25Mbit, this is more than sufficient for 99% of people who might consider this router. From the same location, I was able to do a file transfer between two computers (the other plugged into the router directly) at a rate of 1GB/2.5 min, which is reasonably fast (about 7-11MB/s).

Most important for novices is the easy setup interface. After plugging the device into your modem and a computer for initial setup with ethernet cables, typing in 192.168.0.1 takes you right to the web-based setup interface (admin/). You start with the simple setup wizard -- allowing you to set up your basic ISP settings and your desired WiFi name/password -- and for most people this is all they will need to setup and the router's default settings will take care of the rest. For advanced users, the manual settings provide a lot of additional control, such as parental controls, access lists, firewall tweaking, 40mhz band option, QoS settings, etc. But both routers I purchased were connected to the internet and all devices (asus laptop, mac mini, smart tv, roku, ipad, printer) with the basic setup option within 5 minutes.

The 'cloud' features allow you to view/block connected devices and reboot the router from a website (mydlink.com), as well as seeing your current internet bandwidth use (an instantaneous poll of your current use -- not cumulative use). Handy for family techs.

For its reliability, range, and simplicity, this is an excellent choice. (Other options under a hundred dollars to consider might be the linksys-cisco e3200 and apple's 2012 model airport express.

Feel free to ask questions in comments.

Tech specs:
CPU: Realtek RTL8196C 5 port 10/100 switch & 32 bit RISC CPU SoC
Switch: Realtek RTL8196C
RAM: 32 MB
Flash: 4 MB
Radio: Realtek RTL8192CE 802.11b/g/n 2T2R WLAN SoC

------------
An update, 7-nov-2012:
I have been running this router since purchase months ago without restarting once due to connection issue! This is a small miracle. I continue to highly recommend this router, esp now.

Competitive update:
Asus has announced a soon to be available router, model RT-N12HP (google search if curious) that has huge 9dBi amplified antennas specifically designed for implementations where maximum range is required. If you have a largish area to cover, this router might be a better choice, though the release date hasn't been announced yet.

A response to a comment question:
I did a stress test where I ran a Netflix video, Skype call, iPad online game, a large file download, and a 4GB local transfer from a wired to WiFi computer simultaneously; the local network was only marginally affected by the Internet traffic, and I was able to determine using a network monitoring tool that the Netflix stream was using half of our internet bandwidth, and the other devices split the rest. This is because the QoS will prioritize rich media and VoIP over things like downloads. This seems to me to be optimal behavior, where bandwidth is split rather than gobbled up by one device.

1.0 out of 5 stars broken after 3 months, could not access any of the "features", July 11, 2013

Also, I never did access any of this routers features.
...and I thought my Linksys E3200 router ($140) was bad.
At least the D Link was only $34.

OH, one more thing, after posting the above last night...

I just noticed they charged $59.99 to my credit card for the return of their crappy, broken product!! Unbelievable!.
After spending two hours on the phone with tech support to determine the router was faulty, I was sent instructions on how to return. As part of the "RMA" process, I was forced to enter my credit card. WTF!? It stated I would be charged if all of the contents were not included (ie, charger, install CD, etc.) in the return. However, they charged the full price instantly...AND I ONLY PAID $34 FOR THE THING TO BEGIN WITH. They charged me $60. So, now I have almost $100 in a broken router that I am no longer in possession of...this is insane!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up with good performance, September 27, 2012
I am a Comcast performance Internet user. We used to rent a modem from Comcast and use an old linksys 802.11.b wireless router. The Internet speed is extremely slow, both upload and download speed <1M. Sometimes it's even stuck wile the signal strength looks fine. I bought a Motorola cable modem 3.0 and this dlink wireless router. The cable modem arrived earlier than dlink cloud router. I replaced it with the old Comcast cable modem. Our Internet speed improved. The download and upload speed both are around 3M for iPad 2, but the speed is still very slow for iPad 3 and old notebook (about 1M).I don't know the reason. After the dlink cloud router arrived, our Internet totally changed. The download speed reaches 20M, upload speed above 3M. The set up is very easy. I just unplug all the devices( cable modem and other devices connected to the router), replace the router, plug all the devices from lower grade device to higher grade device one by one and wait for several minutes. Then I try to connect dlink wireless using iPad. Instructions appear and step by step I complete password set up etc. You can also change wireless name and password by connect to 192.168.0.1. The initial user name is admin and password is blank. Log in and change your set up. The only problem is that you can not use linksys as your wireless name. I tried that and problems occurred. I reset the modem and the router works ok again. The Internet speed test is completed by an iPad application speedtesthd.
The rang of the router is also good. We live in 2300 sq feet two stories house. The modem and dlink router are in the corner of first floor. Signals are strong enough in anywhere of second floor. In some place of the basement the iPad can also catch signals.
I only have these new devices for less than 10 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good product., July 29, 2012
I really like this router. I had a problem setting this up, I called them and they were very patient and walked me through it. It had something to do with IP address, had comflicting problems. I have had no problems with it since. It will carry all through our house, I have 4 computers and a kindle and a tablet hooked to it and can use all at the same time. Another great product from D-Link.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic router, July 24, 2012
We purchased this as a replacement for our older Belkin G unit which was choking on our new Samsung SmartTV. Our new Galaxy cellphones were also not able to receive the WIFI signals from the Belkin unit that our old Palm Pres handled without issue. For these reasons we bought this basic D-Link router, and so far we are pleased. The problems with the Samsung SmartTV disappeared, and the WIFI signal strength increased to workable levels. We have not used the "cloud" feature but our needs are very basic. The only drawback seems to be the very long antennae but this is a minor blemish on a fine product.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT ROUTER, July 23, 2012
Jim in Calimesa (Calimesa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Couldn't have been easier to install. Worked great, right out of the box. Huge improvement on my previous router. I am delighted with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, terrible performance, February 3, 2014
I have been using home routers since the first Linksys where it was supported by a single office in Irvine, CA. This router was incredibly easy to setup and has good features. The only problem is the fact that over time it has terrible performance. It will run great from boot, but handles DOS attacks poorly. It does block them, but at the cost of overall performance. Something I never had issues with when using Linksys and Netgear. I am sure we could develop a config to solve this issue, but why would I want to spend hours on something I could replace and fix in minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!, January 1, 2013
I bought this to replace an old Netgear router, but it worked much worse than the old Netgear. Wouldn't connect to my laptop at all until I updated the laptop wireless card driver. As for my desktop computer, it would only connect occasionally. And both computers worked just fine with the old Netgear. Got rid of the Dlink and replaced it with a no-name brand router, and the no-name brand one worked with no problems at all and was also much faster than the old Dlink when it did work (no-name connected at 150 Mbps, while the Dlink only connected at 75 Mbps). The settings used for all 3 routers were exactly the same; WPA2 security.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!!! Bad Design., December 29, 2012
the ethernet ports are extremely loose, so much so that a truck going by can cause signal loss. the antenna broke because this POS loses the ability to connect if the modem goes out for a fraction of a second. slower than the ancient linksys router i had at first in 2001. dial up was more reliable. my wife says webtv was faster. i cannot recommend enough that you keep looking before buying this overpriced doorstop.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, drops connections, December 13, 2012
My old g router got taken out by a power surge. Thought I'd try this one as at the time it had all positive reviews. Initial experience was good - install was easy and I get better signal strength and typically higher connection speed.

For the average user, this router might be fine, but I run a home automation system 24/7, and have now been experiencing the following:
- random dropping of both wireless and wired connections
- random lost of wireless speed, down to 5.5Mbps or even 1Mbps, while signal strength is still good
- dropping of wired connection when trying to stream 1080 video or copy large files (oddly connection dropped not involved in the streaming or copy)

I didn't have any of these on my prior router, so can only conclude it's this router that is causing them.

Another thing - the firmware update does not find the latest firmware. It said I had the latest (1.12), but tech support provided 1.13, and it's not like this was brand new version - it had been released 6 months prior. There was no improvement with this later firmware.

Over all I am disappointed and feel let down - wish I had gotten a different one.