The D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is a draft 2.0 802.11n compliant device that delivers up to 14x faster speeds* and 6x farther range* than 802.11g while staying backward compatible with 802.11g devices. Connect the Xtreme N Gigabit Router to a cable or DSL modem and provide high-speed Internet access to multiple computers, game consoles, and media players. Create a secure wireless network to share photos, files, music, videos, printers, and network storage.
Powered by Xtreme N technology and equipped with three external antennas, this router provides superior wireless coverage for larger homes and offices, or for users running bandwidth-intensive applications. The DIR-655 also includes a 4-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit switch that connects Gigabit wired devices for enjoying lag-free network gaming and faster file transfers.
With wireless prioritization technology and our award-winning intelligent QoS engine, jitter-free Internet phone calls (VoIP), high-definition video streaming and Web gaming are achievable on your wired and wireless networks. Support for WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security standards ensure that you will be able to use the best possible encryption regardless of your other wireless devices. To prevent possible attacks from the Internet, the DIR-655 uses dual active firewalls (SPI & NAT) to help protect your valuable data. Below is a list of DIR-655 features.
Get 14x faster and 6x farther range than 802.11g with the D-Link Xtreme N Wi-Fi router (see larger image
- Wireless N connectivity for superior wireless performance, clarity, and coverage
- Single-band Wireless N connectivity
- Intelligent QoS technology prioritizes both wired and wireless Internet traffic to enable enhanced gaming and phone calling (VoIP) experience
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) for secure, simple 1-button setup
- Capable of streaming audio and video to compatible UPnP-enabled devices
- Dual active firewall protection (SPI & NAT) helps block malicious attacks on networks from the Internet
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for ultra-fast wired connectivity
- Ideal for streaming HD video or streaming multiple applications simultaneously
- Includes the latest wireless security (WEP, WPA & WPA2) features that help prevent unauthorized access
- Virtually no wireless dead spots
- Advanced parental controls
- Supports Windows Connect Now (WCN) for easy wireless setup
- Automatic firmware update notification
- E-mail notification for triggered events
- Integrated wireless security wizard
- Removable antennas for flexible installation options
- Wall mountable to save desk space
Why Intelligent QoS Is Better
With some routers, all wired and wireless traffic, including VoIP, Video Streaming, Online Gaming, and Web browsing are mixed together into a single data stream. By handling data this way, applications like video streaming could pause or delay. With D-Link's Intelligent QoS Technology, wired and wireless traffic is analyzed and separated into multiple data streams. These streams are then categorized by sensitivity to delay, so applications like VoIP, Video Streaming, and Online Gaming are given priority over Web browsing. This enables multiple applications to stream smoothly to your TV or PC.
Advanced Network Security
The Xtreme N Gigabit Router supports the latest wireless security features to help prevent unauthorized access, be it from over a wireless network or from the Internet. Support for WPA and WPA2 standards ensure that you will be able to use the best possible encryption regardless of your client devices. In addition, this Xtreme N router utilizes Dual Active Firewalls (SPI and NAT) to prevent potential attacks from across the Internet. Also, the DIR-655 uses advanced firewall features. The web-based user interface displays a number of advanced network management features including:
- Content Filtering--Easily applied content filtering based on MAC Address, URL, and/or Domain Name.
- Filter Scheduling--These filters can be scheduled to be active on certain days or for a duration of hours or minutes.
- Secure Multiple/Concurrent Sessions--The DIR-655 can pass through VPN sessions. It supports multiple and concurrent IPSec and PPTP sessions, so users behind the DIR-655 can securely access corporate networks.
Delivering best-in-class performance, network security, and coverage, the Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is the ideal centerpiece for your wireless network in the home or office.
With SharePort technology you can connect a USB printer or storage device to your router and allow users to access them from anywhere on the network. Conveniently turn your existing USB printers and storage devices into network devices for everyone to share.
SECURESPOT 2.0 (optional) is total network security for multiple computers in your home. With the unique Web-based console you can monitor, install, and control how your network is protected from a single location.
- Firewall protection
- Parental controls
- Parental reporting and alerts
- Identity protection
- Pop-up blocker
- Virus/spyware protection--powered by McAfee
- Spam control
- Access control
- Remote management console
| || |
Get Ready for the Future: IPV6 Equipped
With the growing number of Internet-enabled applications requiring IP addresses, the supply of IP addresses under the current Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) system has already been exhausted. The IPv6 protocol solves this network addressing exhaustion by creating more IP addresses, but migration from IPv4 to IPv6 is not necessarily automatic. No worries--this D-Link product is IPv6 Certified and ready for the future.
- Standards: IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u
- Interface Type: 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 Gigabit WAN Port, Push Button (for Wi-Fi Protected Setup), 1 USB Port (for SharePort & Windows Connect Now)
- Antenna Type: 3 External Antennas
- Security: WPA & WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access)
- Advanced Firewall Features: Network Address Translation (NAT), Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), VPN Pass-through / Multi-sessions PPTP / L2TP / IPSec
- Device Management: Internet Explorer v6 or Later; Mozilla Firefox v1.5 or Later; or other Java-enabled Browsers
- Certifications: FCC Class B, CE, Wi-Fi/WPS
- Dimensions: 4.6 x 7.6 x 1.2 inches (WxDxH)
- Warranty: 1 Year Limited
- Recommended System Requirements: For optimal wireless performance, use with the D-Link Xtreme N Adapters (DWA-552, DWA-556, DWA-643, or DWA-652)
- Minimum System Requirements: Computer with Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP2 or Mac OS X (v10.4); Internet Explorer v6 or Mozilla Firefox v1.5; CD-ROM Drive; Network Interface Card; and for Internet access a Cable or DSL Modem and Subscription with an Internet Service Provider (ISP)
What's in the Box
D-Link DIR-655, 3 detachable antennas, CAT5 Ethernet cable, power adapter, CD-ROM with installation wizard and operating instructions
| || N 150 || N 300 || N+ 300 || N+ 300 |
| || |
| Share the Internet throughout your home network || || || || |
| Easy file sharing within your home network || || || || |
| Better range and speed over Wireless G || || || || |
| Backwards compatible with Wireless G || || || || |
| Safe network connection with Wi-Fi encryption & Dual Active firewall || || || || |
| Push button Wi-Fi protected setup (WPS) || || || || |
| Intelligent antenna technology for better Wi-Fi coverage || || || || |
| Enhanced router performance for a more reliable network || || || || |
| QoS engine prioritizes video and gaming traffic || || || || |
| Designed for more coverage & performance throughout your home || || || || |
| Use 5 GHz band for streaming HD content with less interference || || || || |
* Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE Standard 802.11g and draft 802.11n specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, buildings materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate. Environmental factors will adversely affect wireless signal range. Wireless range and speed rates are D-Link RELATIVE performance measurements based on the wireless range and speed rates of a standard Wireless G product from D-Link. Maximum throughput based on D-Link draft 802.11n devices.
** Requires SharePort Client Utility installation on the PC. SharePort upgrade is available for the hardware versions A2, A3, A4.