4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just a Gaming Router
We have a two story home and while our existing D-Link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) provides great speeds, but we have notice reduced speeds on the 2nd floor in the opposite corner of the house. We have the house wired with Ethernet, so I picked up this router to open a secondary wireless spot on the 2nd floor and increase speeds...
Published 13 months ago by Jorge J. Coelho

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better alternatives
I simply could not get excited about this router.

This is classified as a gaming router - and one might rightfully assume that it should have blow-your-socks-off functionality - especially at the steep price premium.

Instead, what you get is a watered-down DIR-868L with a traffic shaping feature called Streamboost.

How does it compare to...
Published 13 months ago by Ammy_Evaluator

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better alternatives, August 26, 2013
This review is from: D-Link Wireless AC Gaming Router - 1300Mbps, Dual-Band, Gigabit, StreamBoost traffic shaping (DGL-5500) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I simply could not get excited about this router.

How does it compare to the DIR-868L?
-- lower 5GHz AC bandwidth rating - 867Mbps vs 1300Mbps
-- No SmartBeam
-- no Dynamic DNS support
-- no guest networks on either band
-- no USB 3.0 port
-- not a cloud router (mobile app-based router management)

The real question therefore is whether Streamboost is worth the premium paid. And that is where I will focus this review.

What is Streamboost?
###############

Streamboost is powered by Qualcomm Atheros' VIVE 802.11AC chip, and is supposed to be QoS (Quality of Service) on steroids.

When devices begin to clamor for network access, a router must determine how to prioritize this traffic and how to assign slices of the bandwidth pie. A "normal" router punts on this by assigning equal priority and equal bandwidth slices to each client. This is fine when the slices are large enough to meet the needs of each client device. However, as the number of clients increases, the slices that go to each client get smaller and smaller, until at some point the client application is unable to get a large enough slice to meet its needs.

The problem here is that the router is unable to consider the characteristics of a client's needs when deciding on the priority and slice size assigned to each client. For instance, a client that is streaming a video is much more sensitive to latency and must get a bigger slice, as compared to another client that is downloading a file.

Basic QoS, supported by most routers, recognizes this fact - that not all traffic is the same. It lets you tell the router what constitutes important traffic. E.g., you could prioritize traffic from a specific device on the network, or from a specific application (such as a game).

Unfortunately, this is a very blunt instrument since configuration is coarse grained - based on device IP addresses or ports. I.e., giving a higher priority to a certain computer raises the priority for all applications on that computer, not just for your Netflix streaming. In addition, this a complex manual process with a lot of trial and error.

These are the problems Streamboost is designed to address.

1] Streamboost maintains a fine grained mapping of client stream [client device + application on that device] to network policy [priority + bandwidth slice].

2] It automatically analyzes packet traffic to determine the client stream, and looks up the policy for that stream.

This lets it prioritize Netflix streaming over large file downloads - even if both are running on the same physical client! E.g., if it detects streaming video, it will attempt to minimize latency (higher priority traffic) and to meet the bandwidth needs (larger slice.)

This would be at the expense of, say, a file download where the client might tolerate lower priority/bandwidth.

3] And best of all? This happens without any user intervention. Because these policy tables are cloud based, they can also be automatically updated as brand new devices and applications are released.

Unfortunately, while this sounded good in theory, I did not see any earth shattering improvements over my 2 year old WNDR4500.

My assumption is that this is because of our particular usage patterns. In our case, video streaming is the most common application - on up to 3 devices at a time; and file downloads and online games usually occur only rarely/intermittently. As a result, we did not give Streamboost much to work with.

The DGL-5500 seems to be better suited for households where there is traffic with varied characteristics (huge downloads, Internet/local streaming, VOIP, online browsing/shopping, gaming, etc.) - where Streamboost can shine by using its policy based decision logic.

ConclusioN:
########
Given that this is not the fastest router on the market, and given that Streamboost did not blow me away, I'm reluctant to rate this router at higher than 3 stars (Its Okay).

Particularly because of its lack of Dynamic DNS support - which I have grown to rely upon greatly.

A disappointment with Streamboost's crowdsourced data is that you cannot opt in just for updates of that policy data - you must also opt in for uploading your network traffic for data analysis. In addition, note that this Streamboost data is only guaranteed through Apr 2017 - after which it will be delivered via firmware updates.

As with any product, this is just my personal rating - this is a capable product, and your specific experience with it might cause it to rate much higher.

Happy networking!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just a Gaming Router, August 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

PROS
======================================
+ Compact design. Many of the D-link routers now feature the tower design, which is more stable than some of the older routers that tend to fall when you start plugging in ethernet cables.
+ Easy setup. I love the fact that D-link didn't even include a CD. Software is outdated almost as soon as its packaged and I prefer the browser configuration.
+ Gigabit ethernet ports. This is a must at this point if you are purchasing a router, but this will ensure that your wired devices are getting the best throughput possible on your internal network.
+ Dual band. If you are worried about interference from devices like portable phones you can't go wrong with a dual band (2.4 gHZ and 5 gHZ).
+ StreamBoost. This is the big differentiator from the mainstream routers. Read the "What is StreamBoost?" if you are interested in why this matters. I actually ran some tests and saw this kicking in as my web traffic download/upload speeds were throttled as I had other connected devices (iPads) streaming video. When I ran the same tests on our current router I had faster upload/download speeds surfing the web, but my videos kept buffering on the iPads.
+ Web dashboard. The dashboard provides some great information about how the connected devices are sharing bandwidth on your network to show how StreamBoost is working. It's also pretty cool seeing the device detection from the router automatically identify all the different connected devices and what type of network traffic each is generating.

CONS
======================================
- Price. $200 is a steep price for a router.
- Parental controls. These are a bit light, but it's expected, since this is being pitched as a gaming router.

WHAT IS STREAMBOOST?
======================================
StreamBoost is a different QoS (Quality of Service) scheme. The most common scheme is fair sharing where every device connected shares equally. For example, let's say you have a 10 mbps connection and you are surfing the Internet and using a VoIP line. In this setup you have 5 mbps between the two. As you add more devices you get less allotted per each. Prioritized QoS is what most routers have today where you can identify a specific device to take bandwidth priority over others, but the remaining devices still fall into the fair sharing scheme. StreamBoost uses analytics, device/application detection and available bandwidth to allot bandwidth accordingly. For example, if someone in your house is downloading a 200 MB application would normally clog up your Internet bandwidth. Using StreamBoost the bandwidth used for download is throttled, so that online gaming, VoIP and video streaming are not impacted.

Check out the following link for a good overview on the technology and some additional testing results.

[...]

OVERALL
======================================
Overall this is a great router that provides some of the most advanced features available today. The cost, which to me is what will hold most from taking the plunge, is driven up by the dual-band and the StreamBoost technology. While this router is pitched as a gaming router I think it can easily serve as the primary router in a home with many Internet-enabled devices. Anyone considering increasing their current bandwidth due to competing traffic should consider this one-time investment versus an increased monthly cost. In instances where bandwidth increase is not possible this is your best option to optimizing your network performance.

********* I received this product for free as part of the Amazon.com Vine program. Nonetheless, I review the product in the same manner as I would if I had purchased it myself. *********

5.0 out of 5 stars xbox multiple consoles compatible, January 13, 2014
I was having NAT issues with having 4 Xbox Consoles in one house. This fixed the problem.
Their is also one update already out so go ahead and update to the latest Firmware before you put too much time in.
However either firmware works without NAT issues.
I have about 16 different things connected to this unit hardwired through switches. Security cameras, TV's, desktop computers, Xboxes, etc. plus IPods, phones etc. wirelessly.
I really like it. I would buy another one right now if I needed it.
Also support by phone is open 7 days a week 24 hours a day. I contacted them and it went pretty well.
I never leave feedback but it is difficult finding routers that can handle multiple XBox consoles.
So here you go. This one works like a champ.

1.0 out of 5 stars D-link DGL-5500 Fails to Perform, September 2, 2013
What a disappointment. I had been looking forward to one of the first 802.11ac routers based on Qualcomm Atheros chips and running the Streamboost engine. For the first time in a decade, I ventured back to D-Link with the DGL-5500.

First off, let me say that I am not a fan overall of Broadcom based wireless routers. I tend to go for Qualcomm Atheros based equipment for my personal use and in the numerous small business and home installation setups I do. Therefore, I have been mostly in Netgear's sandbox of equipment for the past decade.

As Netgear does not have a high-end consumer 802.11ac QCA-based router on the market or in the works for 2013, I jumped on the DGL-5500. Yes they have the R6100, but with only 10/100 ports it falls into the mid-range tier in my book. The only thing coming from Netgear this year will be another Broadcom-based unit in the R7000.

My Equipment:
- D-link DGL-5500 Router (Firmware v1.01)
- Netgear WNDR4700 Router (Firmware v1.0.0.52)
- Sony VAIO S15, Windows 8 w/ QCA Killer Wireless-N 1202 (AR9462 2x2 dual-band, Driver Package v1.0.25.1224)
- D-link DCS-2132L Camera (Firmware v1.01.10, 1x1 RTL8188CUS 2.4GHz single-band)
- Canon MG8220 AIO (1x1 2.4GHz)
- Netgear ReadyNASv2 NAS (v5.3.8)
- 2- LG BP730 Blu-ray Players (10/100 wired, 2nd unit wireless using built-in RT2860 2x2 dual-band chip)
- Nexus 7- Second Generation (1x1 dual-band Qualcomm Atheros WCN3660)

I should say that I am comparing the D-link DGL-5500 to my Netgear WNDR4700. It also has Qualcomm Atheros chips in it. The 3x3 AR9381 for 2.4GHz and the 3x3 AR9380 for 5GHz. It does however use a 1GHz Applied Micro APM82181 chip for the processor with 256MB RAM, whereas the DGL-5500 uses the 720 MHz QCA9558 chip for the processor and 2.4GHz with 128MB of RAM and 2x2 QCA9882 for 5GHz.

My plan was to upgrade my Sony laptop's Wi-Fi card if the DGL-5500 performed well with what I already had. Sadly, the Killer Wireless-N 1202 will be staying inside my Sony longer. My LAN speed tests for the D-link DGL-5500and Netgear WNDR4700 for comparison with my setup. The router and laptop were 8' apart with one wall between them. The 2.4GHz band where I live is crowded, so channel width was set to 20MHz on channel 1, which had nothing transmitting on it. The 5GHz band was running free with nothing else transmitting within range. As a result, The WNDR4700 was full boar on channel 153 at 40 MHz channel width and the DGL-5500 was set to "Auto 20/40/80 MHz" channel width on channel 153.

LAN Speed Tests:

Read: 81.18 Mbps

WNDR4700 2.4GHz 200MB File:
Write: 84.68 Mbps
Read: 95.60 Mbps

Now let me tell you what failed. First off, my second generation Nexus 7 could not maintain for more than three minutes or most of the time connect via either band. It did not matter if the DGL-5500 had security set on the router or was transmitting completely unsecure. The Nexus 7 would authenticate, but then loose the DGL-5500 connection. Second, my D-link DCS-2132L 720p network camera that I have setup looking down into my bird's cage could not receive smooth video. No matter the set resolution, video (with no audio) coming from the camera was jerky with numerous dropped frames. This was never an issue with the WNDR4700 (or WNDR3800 or WNDR4300). Those router's helped the video feed shine from the DCS-2132L. No so with the $200 DGL-5500.

Now let's talk video streaming.. I have Road Runner Turbo (20Mbps down / 2Mbps up). My modem is the Motorola SB6141. On the router I enabled StreamBoost bandwidth control, disabled "auto bandwidth estimation," input my down/up figures and let StreamBoost update itself. For video streaming I was watching Netflix on a hard wired 10/100 LG BP730 Blu-ray player and the same player model in my bedroom streaming using the player's internal adapter 2x2 dual band adapter connected to the 5GHz band.

StreamBoost did the job of detecting bandwidth used in the web interface, but numerous video titles streamed jumped around more than a little girl skipping rope on the playground. "Star Trek: Voyager," which can get up to 480p mostly streamed at 384p. "House of Cards," which can get up to 1080p was mostly sticking to 480p and hit 720p for only 9 minutes of the 52 minute episode. This was basically the case for both the wired and wirelessly connected players. When switching back to the Netgear WNDR4700 and the same network condition, "Star Trek: Voyager" played at its top resolution for 41 of the 44 minute program length. "House of Cards" hit 720p or 1080p for 49 minutes of the 52 minute length episode.

I also have to say, who ships a premium router today without being IPv6 ready? D-link apparently does. The DGL-5500 is not IPv6 ready with the current firmware available as I type this up.

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 10:10:00 AM PDT
We thank you for your feedback as it both appreciated and valued. We are sorry to hear that the DGL-5500 did not meet your expectations. Please be advised that D-Link has just released a new firmware version that may address many of your issues which include updating WLAN Driver stability, added 5GHz Bursting as Default Enabled, auto 20/40Mhz 2.4GHz Co-existence, tuned LAN-WAN QOS and removed the 802.11b only mode in 2.4GHz are just some of the many enhancements made with the new firmware. Please visit www.dlink.com to download and install this latest firmware upgrade just released. If you have further trouble please contact D-Link technical support at www.dlink.com/support for assistance. Thank you for choosing D-Link.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Lag on PS4, March 23, 2014
Received this router on a Sat. Today is Sun and I am still trying to get this router to stop lagging while my son plays Ghost on PS4. The router is hooked up through ethernet cable. I even replaced the ethernet cables form cat5 to cat6. I tried several configurations, resets , reboots, and nothing seems to work. The other devices connected wirelessly operate fine. I searched through Google for advice, and nothing is working. I just came to the conclusion that this router sucks. I will give it until Monday to start working correctly, if not I will send it back.....Maybe it's just defective, i am clueless to what the problem is.

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 1:22:47 PM PDT
We thank you for your feedback as we do appreciate it very much. We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the DGL-5500. D-Link suggests that you try configuring the DGL-5500 with some of the following settings. First, if you have not already done so, try giving the PS4 the highest device priority setting on you network from within the DGL-5500 configuration settings. Next, make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest firmware version available from www.dlink.com. Test your network speed from outside of the router, then login to the DGL-5500 and go to SETUP Menus and then click on STREAMBOOST settings and turn off by unchecking the box entitled "Enable Auto Bandwidth Estimation" and enter in the proper Download and Upload speeds that you detected when you ran your network speed tests outside the DGL-5500. Save your settings and then restart the DGL-5500 and verify if connections remain consistent and without any more lag time. If you still are having problems please contact D-Link technical support at www.dlink.com/support for further assistance. Thank you for choosing D-Link.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install but horrible wireless with latest updates, September 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing I want to point out is how simple it has become to setup a secure wireless network with the DGL-5500, and most likely all current D-Link products. The setup up took no more than a couple of minutes and literally was plug in and use. After plugging in one end of the provided cable to one of the four ports on my cable TV router box and the other end to the DGL-5500 yellow internet port, and then plugging in another cable from my Mac notebook to the router and plugging in the power to the router, I logged into the router from a browser. I then told the router to auto-detect and setup and about a minute later the setup was complete and everything worked as expected. It could not be simpler.

This router is pre-configured with a random SSID and secure password, but those values can easily be changed if you are replacing an old Wi-Fi router with the DGL-5500.

Since installation, I have kept some older and less used devices and computers on the slower 2.4Ghz band, and moved other devices to the much faster 5.0Ghz band. The devices using the 5.0Ghz band have a noticeably faster speed when downloading or streaming video. I am sure that that is both due to the higher performance of the 5.0Ghz band as well as the StreamBoost technology.

By logging into the web interface on the gaming router and reviewing both the activity and usage statistics, I can selectively put devices on both bands and maximize the speed of the computers and Roku boxes in the house.

I am very pleased with the performance of this router and recommend it as an easy setup high performance device.

UPDATED 8/9/14: I updated the firmware with the most recent security fixes and my wireless performance dropped to unbelievably slow. I was losing connections constantly and taking many minutes to load even the most simple Amazon pages. I dropped the rating on this router from a five to a three because of the lost performance. I no longer recommend this router. I replaced it with a less expensive Belkin which is working like a pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't be happier, August 2, 2013
I recently got this router to replace my old one which I had for over 5 years. I wanted something good coverage since my old router wasn't reaching the ends of my house. Set up was quick and simple and I was up in a matter of minutes. I tested out the coverage and it is amazing. Covers my entire house with no problem. My download speeds improved from immensely. Overall the router is great for my needs and I couldn't be happier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, March 7, 2014
The auto speed test function did not work, test my speed 4.2M/s but I am actual;y 16.8M/S at speedtest.net

Not sure it has done anything with my game but not worth the money. Return it for cash

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 1:16:39 PM PDT
We thank you for your feedback. Please note that you have the option of testing your network speed outside the router and then turning off the option to "Enable Auto Bandwidth Bandwidth Estimation" by unchecking the box next to this configuration setting, and then manually entering in your download and upload speeds accordingly. When this information is entered into the StreamBoost Settings it may more accurately allow StreamBoost to enhance the performance of the router by utilizing the current bandwidth to it's utmost potential based on the settings you entered. StreamBoost will use this information to limit lag time and provide the most bandwidth to where you need it most, dynamically according to the device priority, application, and or devices being utilized on your network. We are sorry to hear that you will be returning the DGL-5500 and hope that you will choose D-Link in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for multi-gaming console homes, January 3, 2014
Sean (Portland, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
This works great so far and supports multiple online gaming sessions on multiple xbox consoles (both the 360 and Xbox One) in the same household.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Needs improvement.. but StreamBoost actually works pretty well, September 19, 2013
tangent (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The main differentiating feature for this router is the Qualcomm StreamBoost technology, this is the first router on the market with this feature. I was interested to try this router as I have had trouble in the past when gaming while multiple others were streaming netflix/hulu content at the same time. With my ASUS RT-N66U and RT-AC66U routers, I was able to solve latency problems with QoS and forcing some clients to use 2.4Ghz radios instead of 5Ghz.

My initial impression is that the StreamBoost technology works pretty good right out of the box, not as good as my other routers with hand-tweaked QoS.. but it does an admirable job in most cases without the need for any configuration, which could be a major selling point for less technically inclined users.

While the DGL-5500 handles the typical case of gaming/streaming pretty well, it does not fare as well when using distributed services which rapidly open and close many connections, such as torrents or tor. I found that gaming while other clients are seeding torrents and streaming will quickly lead to instability with the DGL-5500, often requiring a reset. D-link reps have noted that an updated firmware is forthcoming for this model, so hopefully that will be addressed.

Pros:
Decent throughput
Good signal strength despite lack of external antennas
StreamBoost could be a benefit for those who don't want to configure QoS

Cons:
No IPv6
No USB 3.0
No static routes
No Dynamic DNS
No triggered port forwarding
No ability to bridge or use as a repeater with another AP
No guest networks
Firmware interface is not nearly as polished compared to recent ASUS routers
No ability to use 3rd party firmware
Cylindrical design not conducive to wall-mounting
StreamBoost requires opting in to uploading analysis of your network traffic to qualcomm

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 12:01:12 PM PDT
We thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable and useful to us and we appreciate it. We are sorry to learn that the DGL-5500 did not meet your expectations. Please note that D-Link has made available a new firmware version 1.10b04 available for downloading and install on September 4, 2013 which addresses some of your concerns such as adding dynamic DNS to the DGL-500 as well as other performance enhancing features. D-Link suggests that you try downloading and installing the newest firmware version and then reconfiguring your router making sure you have either checked off the "Enable Auto Bandwidth Estimation" check box or have properly speed tested your network and manually entered that proper information into the configuration settings when going through the setup configuration settings on the DGL-5500. After you have entered in the newest firmware version and ran through the setup of the router, please verify if your performance of the DGL-5500 has increased to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing D-Link.