Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

on March 7, 2014
The auto speed test function did not work, test my speed 4.2M/s but I am actual;y 16.8M/S at

Not sure it has done anything with my game but not worth the money. Return it for cash
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We thank you for your feedback. Please note that you have the option of testing your network speed outside the router and then turning off the option to "Enable Auto Bandwidth Bandwidth Estimation" by unchecking the box next to this configuration setting, and then manually entering in your download and upload speeds accordingly. When this information is entered into the StreamBoost Settings it may more accurately allow StreamBoost to enhance the performance of the router by utilizing the current bandwidth to it's utmost potential based on the settings you entered. StreamBoost will use this information to limit lag time and provide the most bandwidth to where you need it most, dynamically according to the device priority, application, and or devices being utilized on your network. We are sorry to hear that you will be returning the DGL-5500 and hope that you will choose D-Link in the future.
on January 3, 2014
This works great so far and supports multiple online gaming sessions on multiple xbox consoles (both the 360 and Xbox One) in the same household.
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The main differentiating feature for this router is the Qualcomm StreamBoost technology, this is the first router on the market with this feature. I was interested to try this router as I have had trouble in the past when gaming while multiple others were streaming netflix/hulu content at the same time. With my ASUS RT-N66U and RT-AC66U routers, I was able to solve latency problems with QoS and forcing some clients to use 2.4Ghz radios instead of 5Ghz.

My initial impression is that the StreamBoost technology works pretty good right out of the box, not as good as my other routers with hand-tweaked QoS.. but it does an admirable job in most cases without the need for any configuration, which could be a major selling point for less technically inclined users.

While the DGL-5500 handles the typical case of gaming/streaming pretty well, it does not fare as well when using distributed services which rapidly open and close many connections, such as torrents or tor. I found that gaming while other clients are seeding torrents and streaming will quickly lead to instability with the DGL-5500, often requiring a reset. D-link reps have noted that an updated firmware is forthcoming for this model, so hopefully that will be addressed.

Decent throughput
Good signal strength despite lack of external antennas
StreamBoost could be a benefit for those who don't want to configure QoS

No IPv6
No USB 3.0
No static routes
No Dynamic DNS
No triggered port forwarding
No ability to bridge or use as a repeater with another AP
No guest networks
Firmware interface is not nearly as polished compared to recent ASUS routers
No ability to use 3rd party firmware
Cylindrical design not conducive to wall-mounting
StreamBoost requires opting in to uploading analysis of your network traffic to qualcomm
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable and useful to us and we appreciate it. We are sorry to learn that the DGL-5500 did not meet your expectations. Please note that D-Link has made available a new firmware version 1.10b04 available for downloading and install on September 4, 2013 which addresses some of your concerns such as adding dynamic DNS to the DGL-500 as well as other performance enhancing features. D-Link suggests that you try downloading and installing the newest firmware version and then reconfiguring your router making sure you have either checked off the "Enable Auto Bandwidth Estimation" check box or have properly speed tested your network and manually entered that proper information into the configuration settings when going through the setup configuration settings on the DGL-5500. After you have entered in the newest firmware version and ran through the setup of the router, please verify if your performance of the DGL-5500 has increased to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing D-Link.
on September 7, 2014
It is fast but it disconnects every now and then and I have to turn it off and on. I have no idea why, even though I u
Dated its firmware as it arrives.
My other router, I never needed to rest it or turn it off and on, and I am really disappointed in this router.

I have done everything in the book, followed the company's recommendations. The problem is the same. In fact, I am up to date with firmware, until the latest one. When I tried to update to the latest firmware from the company's website, it said that the firmware is not for your device.

This router is just bad, it needs to be restarted every day.

I am dumping it and buying another router. I am sick of this router, even after doing everything from default, to recommendations by the company's email, by updating the firmware, etc.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We thank you for your feedback as we appreciate and value it very much. D-Link suggests, if you have not already done so, that you access and download the latest firmware version for this device and install it. You may obtain a copy of the latest firmware version by visiting our website If after installing the latest firmware version available you are still having issues then D-Link suggests that you try setting the Channel Widths to Auto 20/40/80 MHz, and the 802.11 Mode to Mixed 802.11ac, 802.11n and 802.11a from within the Wireless Settings tab. Next, under the Network Settings tab make sure under the section IPv4 Multicast Streams the checkbox next to Enable IPv4 Multicast Streams has not been checked. If this box is checked please remove the check from the box and save the settings. Next, restart your router and test your connectivity. If you continue to have issues with the DGL-5500 please contact D-Link support at 1-877-453-5465 for further troubleshooting assistance. Thank you for being a D-Link customer.
on March 11, 2015
Great change from my old router. I love how this routes traffic. I had to unplug my old router everyday but this one I never have to (so far). We have a 2 pcs, laptop, ipad, tablet, and 2 Android phones and all run smoothly. I am very pleased with this!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon September 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing I want to point out is how simple it has become to setup a secure wireless network with the DGL-5500, and most likely all current D-Link products. The setup up took no more than a couple of minutes and literally was plug in and use. After plugging in one end of the provided cable to one of the four ports on my cable TV router box and the other end to the DGL-5500 yellow internet port, and then plugging in another cable from my Mac notebook to the router and plugging in the power to the router, I logged into the router from a browser. I then told the router to auto-detect and setup and about a minute later the setup was complete and everything worked as expected. It could not be simpler.

This router is pre-configured with a random SSID and secure password, but those values can easily be changed if you are replacing an old Wi-Fi router with the DGL-5500.

Since installation, I have kept some older and less used devices and computers on the slower 2.4Ghz band, and moved other devices to the much faster 5.0Ghz band. The devices using the 5.0Ghz band have a noticeably faster speed when downloading or streaming video. I am sure that that is both due to the higher performance of the 5.0Ghz band as well as the StreamBoost technology.

By logging into the web interface on the gaming router and reviewing both the activity and usage statistics, I can selectively put devices on both bands and maximize the speed of the computers and Roku boxes in the house.

I am very pleased with the performance of this router and recommend it as an easy setup high performance device.

UPDATED 8/9/14: I updated the firmware with the most recent security fixes and my wireless performance dropped to unbelievably slow. I was losing connections constantly and taking many minutes to load even the most simple Amazon pages. I dropped the rating on this router from a five to a three because of the lost performance. I no longer recommend this router. I replaced it with a less expensive Belkin which is working like a pro.
VINE VOICEon August 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I previously reviewed another D-Link model that is very similar to this model, but has a few different features. This particular model is supposed to be for gamers.

1. What's in the box?: You receive the modem, which is a black cylinder with a nice bit of red trim on the top (does not light up), with two buttons on the front indicating power and an internet connection, and the back contains four ports, a power button and access for a USB, plus a power transformer and a LAN cable.

2. Aesthetic: Well, this is not the blinking lights of Forbidden Planet. The cylinder, which is about 9 inches high and about 5 inches around, has two basic green indicators for power and internet and a ring of red trim on the top (this does not light up by the way). The router is pretty small and is fairly utilitarian.

3. Use?: I absolutely had no issues setting this item up in minutes with a DSL provider. After resetting the modem, I simply plugged this item in and was pretty quickly up and running. The new (and in my opinion, better) router interface was simple to use, and I set up the network with dual bands with personal passwords and names. You can also just use the default information if you would rather not have set-up issues. Unlike the other model, this router does not have a capability for a guest network if you want one.

Range:? I certainly noticed an increase in range with this router with the 2.5 GHZ band, with maximum power over a wide-range. The 5 Ghz band has good range, but is not spectacular. I believe this is more to do with the nature of 5 Ghz signals in homes than an issue with this router, by the way. The range does seem to be noticeably better with this router however.

Power?: I have been able to measure a consistent 25 MBPS signal with my wi-fi signal, which is an improvement. Videos and other uses seem to be smoother and I have had no issues with buffering.

Streamboost:? This is a technological feature discussed as a boost for various uses of the router signal. I have enabled this feature, but I haven't noticed anything that specifically relates whether this feature is working. Time will tell.

Router access: The router firmware is changed from my previous experience with a new graphical interface. This is nice, and I like how a user can change the priority given to various users for the highest and best use of the internet signal.

Overall: I am fairly happy with this router, but it is very expensive. I suppose a firmware update may improve this router. It is a nice choice, but I am not sure I can wholeheartedly recommend it given the 200 dollar cost. I will update this review in due time and discuss the improvements I notice, if any.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2015
Issues setting it up and still haven't got it to work properly. I'm not a idiot with networking either. They should make this router a tad more simple to set up. I'll update when I finally get it working.
on December 12, 2014
I would give this 0 stars if I could. Most of the router functionality, as of the latest official release, most of the router's core functionality is either missing or not working properly, and there's no ETA for a fix. According to the official forums, Fiber customers aren't supported by the router, again with no ETA for a fix (this information wasn't available until very recently, so it seems D-Link didn't properly test this router). Attempts to contact D-Link and report issues on their forums are met with a hostile moderator who will do everything in his power to put blame somewhere else instead of assessing and reporting the issues to D-Link in a timely manner.

Updates for the router have been very slow, and each update has broken something that worked before while only partially fixing the problems from the previous release. There have only been 3 updates in the year+ the router has been on the market, and to date the most stable and functional one is still the factory one. That said, even the factory firmware has plenty of issues of its own.

My advice: If you need your network to actually work, stay away from this router (and probably D-Link products in general). If you like tinkering with barely-functional tech and incomplete features and just experiment with network gear in general, go ahead and get one, just make sure you don't try to make it your main network device.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We appreciate the feedback as we take the input into great consideration. Please note that based upon your review we would like for you to visit the provided link below and fill out the needed information within the next 10 days. By completing the detailed form, one of our agents will be able to contact you directly and assist you in resolving the problems you are experiencing.

Thank you for choosing D-Link.
on December 1, 2014
The Good: A great 5GHz connection with decent range. The 2.4GHz range is better.

The Not-So-Good: The UI is a bit glitchy. I've had issues on the device prioritization page where the icons for devices pile up on each other.

The Bad: My DGL-5500 intermittently drops the 2.4GHz channel. About once every day or two, all devices on the 2.4 band lose connection. Any attempt to reconnect simply fails, or I get authentication errors. I either log into the UI from my wired desktop or 5GHz connection and restart the device to restore connectivity. I have had my wife use the hand on/off button to reset it as well.

I've read this particular issue may be related to the firmware version. I don't recall what version of the firmware I was one when I bought it (1.01, 1.10, or 1.11) but I patched it to 1.12 within the first few days and began noticing this issue. I will either trying rolling back to 1.11 (I read that as pretty stable), or try the latest beta firmware to see if it resolves the issue.

I bought this router to improve my gaming connection speed, but its been at the cost of everyone else in the house who uses the 2.4GHz band to surf and stream. If I can't get the issue to resolve via different firmware, I'll have to find an alternate router.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We want to thank you for the feedback as we truly value the review and we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the product. D-Link would like for you to factory reset the product and then download and install the latest firmware from In addition, in the UI, you want to make sure that under the wireless settings, you have the setting "802.11 Mode" set to "Mixed 802.11n, 11g, and 11b". If you continue to have the same difficulties please give our technical support team a call at 1-877-453-5465 so one of our technical support agents can assist you. Thank you for being a D-Link customer.