on September 11, 2011
In my scenario, my goal was to extend the 5 Ghz band from my DLink DIR-825 out to a dead spot in the back porch for Netflix streaming. Now it didn't quite do that as expected but there are some options to work with on the device.

There are two modes that can work with the device that a few people might not understand even after reading through the marketing material. The first option what most people might be familiar with is AP Mode. AP Mode can create from where there is a non-existent wireless environment to a wireless one simply by plugging into your existing router and configuring. If your router already has wireless configured and can somewhat extend the wireless signal ever so slightly. I found that the 2.4 GHz band performance had a slight boost but not so much the 5 GHz band I was already running.

The other mode that can be used is a Bridge Mode. In this configuration you would plug any devices into the Booster which will act as the antenna for them and then configuring the Booster to connect to the existing wireless in the area. This can increase performance by providing a better wireless antenna that might otherwise be more inferior in some devices that can't quite keep a steady signal. This is where their SmartBeam technology comes into play.

A couple of things to understand though...
1) You cannot connect a wireless device to it wirelessly and expect the Booster to relay that back to your router in Bridge Mode. They have to use a cable to the Booster first.
2) Also in Bridge Mode, if the area that you're looking to expand is dead enough where a particular band cannot be seen or is extremely weak, the Booster will not compensate for it. It needs to connect to it just as any other normal device would.
3) Despite the fact that it can support 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, it can only use one or the other at not at the same time in AP Mode.

Ultimately in my scenario, I ended up using it in Bridge Mode by connecting the movie player to it and then bridging back to the router on the 2.4 band as the 5 GHz band was just too weak to stay consistent. This still improved streaming performance greatly and left a satisfactory feeling for the purchase. By looking at the stats on the router when the Booster is connected to it and is streaming, there is a higher data rate then connecting devices to the router without it. Overall, I'm happy with the device although the price for what you're getting is just a tad steep. Definitely worth a try if you are experiencing a scenario such as this. I suppose you could always return it if it doesn't work out.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2012
I purchased the DAP-1525 Wi-Fi Booster because some of the wireless clients (i.e. PS3, Laptop, smart phones, Wii...) on my network were not getting a very good signal from my wireless router Cisco-Linksys WRT320N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router.
I was mistakenly under the impression that the DAP-1525 would work much like a repeater and I would be able to set it at a more ideal location to receive the signal from my router and send it to the wireless computers on the network. I later found out that the DAP-1525 does not support the repeater mode (i.e. wireless to router and wireless to clients). It supports only Bridge mode (wireless to router and wired to clients) and the Booster mode that is AP mode (wired only to router and wireless to clients). Looking back I see that I made a hasty decision and I should have read the reviews on Amazon.com for the D-Link Wi-Fi Booster Smart Beam Dual-Band AP (DAP-1525) to get a better understanding of the product in a real time environment (see review by: Jon Zastera).
Overall though I am very satisfied with the DAP-1525 Wi-Fi Booster. Once I got everything up and running (as outlined in the manual and several visits to the Dlink support web site) all of my wireless clients were getting a "good" to a "very good" and even "excellent" signal and as an added bonus both the wired and wireless computers are able to use the SharePort(tm) Plus Technology for sharing USB 2.0 devices (a good place for a Shared Printer).
on August 18, 2011
This Device worked fine for us so not sure what the previous reviewer is having issues with.

The "instructions" are about like all DLINK products really, just like the web gui is for that matter, just ajdust your nic and login and configure.

FIVE minutes to do this at home then, Deployed perfectly to the Irving Dental Office (as Access Point)..

Connect to 192.168.0.50 and configure the Device..

I beleive WPS has to be supported on your current WLAN/LAN in case that was the guys issue.

Range was noticably improved - I went into a large storage closet area to the back wall with the door closed, then outside the office accross into the next business property 25' with the door closed, farthest end from the SmartBeam Radio, and 5 bars in Windows7 the entire time..

Looks good to me,
jc

SO it is a WAP or a Bridge, AND a 4 PORT GIGABIT SWITCH, AND A USB 2.0 PORT, for storage and other devices as well..
on June 30, 2012
My wireless router is in my office in the rear of my home. I wanted to boost the WiFi signal strength in the front of my home to use my laptop wireless and link my phone. I replaced a 4 port switch with this AP. Easy quick setup in minutes. Laptop was linked and streaming HD video without pausing. Signal is excellent. Had a little trouble linking phone but found out it was my keystroke error. Called D-link support to find that out. They connected me to a live person in less than 5 minutes and resolved the issue in a couple minutes more. I left out a hyphen in the wireless network key. My Bad. Great service. Knowledgeable tech. Great product.

Had this now for 10 months. It works perfect. It is an wireless access point for my laptop and cell phones. I plug the DVR and Blue Ray in to the back as a switch. Fast and reliable. Still five stars.
on December 12, 2012
It isn't often I feel compelled to write a review of a product, but I'm very impressed with this.

Ease of Installation

I almost didn't purchase this because of reviews where people said it was hard to install. I have no idea what they were talking about, either the instructions have recently been improved, or they were just very dense. Seriously installation was as complex as plugging into the wall, connecting to Ethernet and by the time I got to the pc it was already working. I went to the config page at 192.168.0.50 and it had taken my SSID and pw already so it was re broadcasting my current network with security key without any effort on my part.

Expectations vs Actual Performance

Reading about "smart beam technology" kinda makes me suspicious of clever marketing gimmicks and at best I was expecting a marginal improvement in my wifi signal.

I have a program installed that lets me do diagnostics on wifi signals, and on the other side of my house I normally get around 52% signal, 120ms latency and 1.5mbps speed. With this device I was pleased to see 100% 39s latency and 14-15mbps speed. I was expecting maybe to hit 75% tops but def not a 100. After seeing this I took my phone outside and was able to connect all the way down the street when beforehand I could barely connect in my bedroom.
on January 10, 2014
I have a DIR-655 and wanted extend my range for some dead spots in my house. My TV was at the edge of coverage and had trouble streaming Netflix. Setup was a little tricky, and not perfectly spelled out in the manual. The product CD is just some PDFs and not a setup CD. It is useless IMO. I used Access Point Mode and One Touch Configuration with the WPS button. I initially had problems getting everything to work properly. The problem was the fact that both my router and the DAP-1525 had the same settings and were interfering with each other. This is what I did to get it to work:
1. After one touch configuration, attach Ethernet cable to the DAP-1525 and your computer.
2. Access the DAP-1525 wireless settings on your computer http://dlinkap and change the name of your network to something different. Check to see if you can see the new network. I used my iPhone.
3. Remove ethernet cable from the DAP-1525 and attach it to your existing router and access wireless settings and disable wireless.
4. Attach Ethernet cable to existing router and the DAP-1525 and done!
I wasn't happy with the range extension. In fact, I saw no difference. However, what I did like was the ability to easily move the DAP-1525 to a central location of my house to make the coverage more uniform. I moved it to the attic. You basically need a place to plug it in and a hole in your roof to run the Ethernet cable. It saved me the hassle of extending all of the Ethernet cables attached to my existing router. It solved my problem with coverage and I was able to stream Netflix to my TV with no problems. I gave it 3 stars because I had to come up with my own installation plan and the fact that I saw no increase in my range. However, I am satisfied with the results.
on September 4, 2011
Since this purchase, I never loose my network connection. Laptops, Roku devices, smart phones all stay connected with high strength signals. In a word: Awesome!
on December 13, 2011
I own an iMac, which is located about 350 feet from the wifi base. The room where the iMac is located is in the back of my apartment and only used to get a couple of bars of wifi reception, which was also rather spotty. I tried several wifi signal boosters (and returned them all) until I got this one. When I first read the installation manual, I thought I had another failed attempt in my hands. I called customer service and got a customer representative from India. Although she had an outdated support screen on her computer (I could tell because while she was reading her screen she was not seeing the same information I had on mine during the installation process) she was able to help me and get the D-Link Wi-Fi booster installed within 15 minutes. Once installed, the reception immediately improved to full 5 bars and I no longer had the frequent wi-fi service drops I was experiencing before this product was installed. I would highly recommend this product, but the company should most definitely make sure that its installation/documentation instructions be more user friendly.
on July 17, 2013
I got this AP to extend the wireless network upstairs. My router is located in a network storage rack on the first floor which makes the second floor have very poor signal strength for wireless. Once I got this I read a lot of the reviews online that talked about playing with the options in order to get the best wireless set-up. They were right.

I connected it (AP is connected to router via ethernet) and everything just started working out of the box, so I thought, cool, no messing with anything. Well then the internet would start dropping to anything that was connected to it periodically. To the point that on my iPhone, I couldnt get it back. So I went online and found some adjustments. If you run into problems with this AP, try some of these settings AFTER you have initially configured everything:

DAP-1525:
- Turn WPS off. I dunno why, but WPS after setup, really messes with my connection to the router.
- Turn off auto-channel and select the same channel that your wireless router is using (if the router is also on auto, you'll want this to match whatever you put it to; on mine, I selected channel 6)
- note the MAC of the AP
- If you are using WPA/WPA2 security, make sure your encryption type matches the router (TEKIP vs AES). If your router has it on "Auto" link my D-LINK did, choose one on the router and have the AP match it.

Router:
- Turn WPS off.
- If "auto-channel" is selected, turn it off and set it to a channel (it will need to match your AP).
- give the AP MAC address a static IP.

This really improved my performance and havent had any issues YET. If I do, i'll update this review accordingly.
on March 10, 2013
I was unable to stream high def Netflix wirelessly from the ground floor to my lower level theater. I tried a Linksys range extender and Cisco's wifi electric line solution. The D-Link istalled easily and, as advertised, broadcast a 5GHZ signal through walls and floors. HD Netflix at 1080p looks great on my JVC projector and 110" Stewart film screen. A great deal.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations