Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

OK, so I was a little apprehensive about buying this camera as the reviews are mixed. I have only had the camera a few days so these are initial impressions, I will provide some updates as time goes on. Here are initial impressions:

Set-up:
Set up is simple. I run a wireless home network with an old cisco-linksys wireless router and several wireless devices including several Apple Macintosh products and a Playstation 3. I was concerned at first because the "zero configuration setup" was shown to be only for d-link routers. For all other routers, you are directed to the d-link website to download a configuration wizard. You download either for mac or windows as appropriate. The mac wizard was very simple. From opening the box to looking at live video stream on my MacBook was about 15-20 minutes.

Basically, the wizard has you plug the camera into your router via the included ethernet cable. Then you plug in the power, wait for the camera to detect your network (via the wizard), log the camera into your network via the wizard, and you are pretty much done. You unplug the ethernet and have a working wireless IP camera.

IF you have a d-link router there is a "zero-configuration" option that I guess is easier. However, with the wizard it was very easy with my linksys setup. No port forwarding/dealing with IP adressing/etc is required to set up the camera. I was actually surprised by how easy it was. So setup = 5 stars.

Camera/device quality:
Camera housing in constructed of questionable-quality white plastic. The camera housing is attached to the base via a swivel assembly that allows a reasonable range of rotation (about 90 degrees in any direction). The base of the camera is large enough it can sit on a flat surface, also, the base can be mounted to a wall with the two (included!) screws.

Image quality:
Good enough. It's not HD or super-high framerate, but for a home monitoring camera of this price range, it's pretty darn good. No complaints from me on that.

The included IR is a nice touch. It really helps at night. In complete darkness, you can see nothing with the optical camera, but turn on the IR and you can see pets/kids/whatever you want pretty well.

Software quality:
This is where the real problems lie, and where really the only frustration in the process occurred for me. D-links camera management software is pretty terrible. The website software I've only used a couple times (I use my Ipad, see below, to view the video feed) but seems pretty glitchy and wants to freeze up my computer. Downloading the app for my ipad was very frustrating. Here is an important note for ipad/iphone users:

DON'T DOWNLOAD THE MYDLINK+ APP FOR IPAD/PHONE. IT DOESN'T WORK. But for some reason d-link is keeping it on the app store at a price of a whopping 99 cents. So save your money and buy a candy bar. Because there is another app, the MY DLINK LITE app, that works just fine for me, and is free. Now, it's not pretty, but it works. So get the free one, and be happier.

D-link doesn't seem to be supporting their apps well, which is surprising given the number of horrid reviews on the app store.

OK, so that's pretty much it for now. Updates to come regarding the longevity of the camera, etc. Thanks for reading!

*******
UPDATE

After a few months of ownership, it seems this is a rather reliable camera. I've had no trouble with it yet, it works as advertised. When I am around the home, I don't use it, to save power. When I leave, I plug it in, and it has no problems connecting to my wireless network. Still works great!

*******

SECOND UPDATE

Still awesome. Works great. Only other thing to post is some loser advertiser posted in my comments about a pay web service to host your web stream. DON'T PAY FOR THAT. You don't need to. That's one of the great things about this D-Link camera, that service is free, through D-Link. So although the app may not be the best thing ever, it's OK, and your certainly don't need to pay for a webcam service to use your D-Link camera, so please ignore that comment. Thanks!
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2013
Style Name: Day/Night + WiFi RepeaterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The D-Link DCS-933L is the third Internet camera system, not including webcams, that I have set-up, and I found this one the easiest to establish a connection that works. I will try to make this review quick and easy, but there are two things, with one being a big issue if you want to view what your camera sees on your computer, you aren't made aware of until you are almost finished:

1) If you use either Windows or Apple Operating Systems, I recommend before you connect your cameras, you go to [...] and establish your D-Link account. Leave you connection active when you begin you install. By doing this, when you run your installation software, you will go into the D-link site.

2) If you anticipate you will be wanting to view your camera with your computer, you will need to have Flash on your Windows computer and Java for Apple. This leads to some confusion because for both Apple and Windows set-ups, it says it likes to use the latest Flash. Unfortunately, Apple has an aversion to Flash, but Apple, if you look deep enough into their support pages you will find they have worked-up their version of Java, build SE 6, for "special edition 6. Unfortunately, Apple has not updated SE 6 as they should have and there are some security issues. In doing my Apple installation, the first time, it mistakingly told me I needed a certain version of Java and it automatically sent me somewhere and I downloaded version 7. Unfortunately, it did not tell me I needed to remove Apple's Java SE 6. Later, I came across instructions on how to check what I needed to do. In my various Apple installations I have had smooth ones and a couple of bumpy ones. Go to support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 and you will receive instructions on how to remove SE 6 and install an Apple update. If that doesn't work, and I had that happen once, go to your search engine, and search for "remove java se 6 mac." You will find Apple and Oracle instructions detailing what you need to do. Just remember, you will have to removed the SE 6 Java patch first. Oh, and this is a big "Oh," the Java patch will work only with Safari and Firefox, but it will not work with Chrome.

On Apple Operating Systems, if you haven't installed Java before, you will probably just need to remove SE 6. With Windows, Java 7 seemed to overwrite previous versions.

That said and done, installation is a breeze. First put your DCS-933L near where you can have an Ethernet hook-up and a power receptacle for your camera's power adapter. Go to the web site [...] click on the picture of the DCS-933-L (see uploaded picture), and click on the link to download your installation software. I like how with the Windows software they have the software in a zip file and as an executable file, it shows some forethought by the company.

The software installation for recognition of your camera is fairly straight forward. First you attach the short CAT5 cable (included with your camera) to your LAN's modem. Then, you power-up the camera by attaching the plugged-in power adapter's cable. If your home has several WiFi LANs as mine does, you will need to make sure you use the core LAN, not the ones you have piggybacked on your system. Once you have established your connection with your WiFi or your LAN (you are given a choice of hardwired or wireless, and with the wireless you can use the WPA buttons on your camera and wireless modem to establish a connection), you can then disconnect the CAT5 if you've established a WiFi connection.

Then, you'll go to the mydlink.com site and your camera is registered. With regards to iPhone apps, you will notice three D-Link apps, the "My DLink Lite" is the one that will connect with your camera(s) The view from your phone app is nice (I'll post a picture as soon as I can). It allows you to bring-up and reduce the volume, and unlike some of the other cameras I have used, it has exceptional hearing qualities. You can hear a pin drop on the floor from across the room, so if you're viewing a camera in your house on your home computer, beware of feedback. All-in-all, a pretty good camera. The infrared lights aren't too bright at night, but you want to make sure if you have more than one camera at night to make sure a second camera doesn't see the "white" light of the first camera.

Reconnecting your camera after moving the camera within your WiFi area is easy.

All-in-all, a good set-up. The company looks like it has done plenty of forethought. I just wish the Flash issues wasn't so much an Apple issue.
review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2013
So, this camera is the same as the CDS-932L, except it comes with a "wifi extender" feature. So, rather than bore you with another review of the 932, when there are already 793 customer reviews for it on Amazon... I'm going to focus on the DIFFERENCE between the 932 and the 933.... other than the $20 bump in price.

First, some useful links:

DCS-932L @ amazon.com - D Link Wireless Surveillance mydlink Enabled DCS 932L

DCS-933L manufacture page -[...]

User Manual - [...]

The differences:

- Slightly different base. I own both the 932 and the 933 and although the bases look different... I would say neither is functionally or aesthetically superior. Its a draw, and a non-factor.

- 933 includes a "wifi extender" feature that acts as a repeater for your EXISTING wifi network. By the very nature of being a repeater, the bandwidth will be HALF. Half of the bandwidth is consumed by you to the camera, and half of the bandwidth is used to 'repeat' your signal to your existing Access Point / Router. The real payoff is that, depending on placement of the camera, your wifi network will cover more square footage. Also worthy of mention is that you can re-use an existing SSID... making real-world use much more enjoyable. Gone are the days of having multiple SSIDs in a single dwelling, as all the current drop of dlink routers/ap's include this ability. This was not true with the previous generation (see dlink dap-1522, as an example). Of course, you also have the option of creating a new SSID, if you so choose.

Feel free to ask questions as comments to this review.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 16, 2013
This is an Amazon Vines review of the D-Link DCS-933L D-Link Wireless N Day/Night Home Network Camera with a built-in 300mbps wireless repeater. The product arrived timely and was well packaged.

The DCS-933L comes with a built-in CPU and web server and offers simple installation and an intuitive web-based interface for camera control and setup. You can also use this program to integrate the camera into your home network. It took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to set up and have this camera running. It also comes with a built-in 300Mbps wireless repeater.

The D-Link DCS-933L supports either wired or WiFi 802.11n connectivity and has Wi-Fi Protected Setup. I set my camera up using Wireless N and placed it about 65 feet and one floor, and three walls away from my wireless access point. Using the built-in wireless repeater, I am able to connect the camera to my Wi-Fi access point and the camera can maintain a steady connection with fairly steady throughput for the streaming video. So I think the repeater does do its job and will push the signal further when you place the camera a fair distance from your Wi-Fi access point or router.

The DCS-933L offers 3 different color video resolutions and includes infrared technology that lets you monitor a home or small office at about 15 feet away from the camera at low light settings. When the infrared is in use, the image turns to black and white. Of course the video becomes more difficult to make out when using infrared, but the quality is not bad.

You can view the video via a web browser using a myDlink web page that you set up with your login and password or you can view the video via the myDlink Lite app for your iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Android. I have viewed the camera video via Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers and have used the myDlink Lite app to view the video on my iPod. I basically have been pleased with the video quality when viewed either from a browser or on the iPod. Although the camera comes with auto white balance, I have been very disappointed with how the video washes out when sunlight is shinning into my sun room, which is where I set up the camera. I would have thought the camera would have done a better job of adjusting the video to compensate for the sunlight. I have read that the white balance for this camera is only set for use in interior rooms and so this would explain why it has a lot of trouble balancing the light in a room with several windows.

One nice feature I do like about the camera is that I can record video directly to my Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, which eliminates my need to have a dedicated computer to store video. To set up this feature, you have to load and use the D-ViewCam software contained on the set up CD. This software is not all that user friendly, but with a little effort, you can figure it out and set up NAS storage, monitoring schedules, and other security related features for the camera.

The camera also comes with a built-in microphone; and here is where the camera fails - miserably. There is a constant static to the audio no matter how you try to adjust it. Thia is a known issue with this camera. The audio static was so annoying that I finally just shut off the audio feature. This issue with the camera and the fact that Dlink seems in no rush to fix the issue is a huge disappointment with both the camera and the company.

All in all, the DCS-933L camera is a decent video camera, and has decent functionality and usability. But with the camera's terrible audio issue and its poor ability to compensate for normal sunlight, I have to rate this camera just 3 stars. I would have expected more from a D-Link product that carries a $100 suggested retail price.
on May 30, 2013
This wireless camera does exactly what I want it to do - crisp picture and easy installation! The only drawback was that I thought the video recording was instant and going to some offsite website but technical support let me know that I had to set that up myself and provide my own storage for it. They emailed me a link to download the recording software right after the phone call. I also downloaded the free android app, MyDlink lite, for my android smartphone (Samsung S3) and it worked perfectly!

I run a home-based computer business and wanted an inexpensive surveillance system to watch my computer room. This fits what I want to a tee! I'd recommend this to anyone who didn't want to pay tremendous fees to a security company with their expensive cameras.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2014
I would highly recommend this camera, it works great. We have it set up in our chicken coop which is approx. 75 yards from our house. We can monitor their environment for temp, humidity and their behavior from anywhere, day or night with the added night vision capabilities (We have our thermometer in view of the camera also). We are going to order another one for the chicken run so we can keep an eye out for predators and double check ourselves to make sure the automatic door is shut at night and opening in the morning etc. We go down there a lot and spend time with them (they are very entertaining) but this just gives us an added piece of mind. Great value. Thank you!
on September 21, 2014
After being a victim of a recent burglary I have now set up 5 of these cameras for home security and would just like to add a few observations of mine to the many reviews here....

1) 15 second video clips and 6-frame pics emailed to me every minute of an event that triggered the motion detector is fine as I have no interest in reviewing endless security video footage of my empty house everyday. I just want enough of the event for me to see what has happened at which point I will call the police if it was an intruder and log-on remotely from my iPhone to watch the rest of it live. While watching live video I have the option to simply press a button and take as many still pics as I want during an event; these pics are automatically saved to my iPhone or Kindle.

2) The WiFi range is very good. I have one cam setup in a detached garage more than 100 feet from a Comcast-provided router - halfway between my house and garage is a shed with another D-link camera in it with the Wifi extender mode on which allows the garage cam signal to reach my router and the video streams consistently and uninterrupted.

3) I am able to access all my cams live on 3G with my iPhone whenever I am away from home and I find this truly amazing. The video and audio is good enough quality for using these as security cameras.

4) Installation was really easy for me and I am not a computer expert.

5) I carry an old cell phone with me as well as my iPhone when away from home as this will allow me to watch live video on my iPhone while dialing 911 on my old disconnected cell phone so I can give the dispatcher the play by play of a burglar while police are en-route to my house.

6) If you already own a computer and router with WiFi then this camera is the cheapest way to set up your own security system with 24/7 alerts, videos, and pics instantly sent to your email when motion is detected in your house. I can't see how a professional security service could do any better job monitoring my home than these cameras combined with my iPhone are currently doing. I also pay NO monthly fees for my security system; most of neighbors tell me they are paying $40 per month to various security companies.

7) I can set the motion detectors on all the cameras or even turn them off remotely after I leave my house with the free D-link Lite app I downloaded to my iPhone.

8) Having had firsthand experience with my home being burglarized I can see how these cams would have immediately notified me of an intrusion, allowed me to call police and maybe even catch the burglar(s), and most importantly have limited the time in my house that the burglars had. Trust me when I say that you do not want to give burglars unlimited time in your house to search and ransack the place which is exactly what I did by not having these cameras in place beforehand -- the resulting destruction and loss in my house was devastating to come home to.
VINE VOICEon July 26, 2013
I have three versions of this camera that I use to check up on pet sitters. I love the D-Link cameras because they are pretty easy to setup if you are minimally competent with technology and I find them to be reliable. This is my favorite of the three. I love the day/night setting. That setting coupled with the small size of the camera make it more useful and less conspicuous than my other two.

The camera resolution is not the best, but it is a security camera. It is good enough to check-in and even identify people. In pitch black rooms, you can still make people and their features out.

I really like that nobody notices the camera. It's about the size of a thick iPhone. Some of these wireless security cameras are easily noticed.

If you have an iPad, I highly recommend the My-Dlink+ app. It is a lot nicer than the basic one. The paid app will display multiple cameras(see the images) and does not time out. Another feature not specific to this camera but included here is timed motion detection.

If I were looking to buy an additional camera, this is the one I'd buy. I posted an image comparing my three models.
review image review image
on May 8, 2014
very easy to set up --- set up using the app on my iPad - quality of the picture in complete darkness is awesome. it does have a pretty limited viewing field - also the power cord to this is pretty short
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 9, 2014
This company DLINK is a disaster. DO NOT USE THEIR PRODUCTS. Their customer service and in particular registering the product is abysmal. I have pressed their confounded "register your email address" at least 70 times and the confirmation email has not arrived. Yet when I register a case number ( I now have FOUR!!!) with the same email address I get a reply. There is no continuity with case numbers. You get a new one every time even if you quote a previous one. The replies treat you like an imbecile and imply that it is MY fault that the registration emails are not coming to me. So every time I open the camera I get a message telling me I have not registered. I have spent at least 4 hours of my time writing fruitless cases to the DLINK company. These people should not be allowed to trade. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Do not buy other products form DLINK because the customer service will be the same regardless of the product. I wish I had never bought the product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We want to thank you for the feedback as we truly appreciate the input and we are sorry to hear that you encountered difficulties with our product and our customer service. We advise you to factory reset your camera (by pressing the reset button the back with a paper clip for 10 seconds) and then download and install the latest firmware from www.support.dlink.com. If you are requesting immediate assistance from our technical support team we advise you to call 1-877-453-5465. Thank you for choosing D-Link.