on September 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
Was able to plug the Toslink cable from my Apple TV and into my stereo via RCA jacks. Keep in mind two things: 1) It requires a power outlet for the AC adapter (included); and 2) if you're using Apple TV, be sure to set Dolby Digital to "OFF" in the settings. The sound was perfect! Highly recommended.

***Update March 16, 2012: Works with the new 1080 Apple TV.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
I was dismayed to discover that my new TV (LG 55LW5600) does not come with the Analog audio out RCA jack needed for my fancy wireless external speaker system. I thought I was a genius when I found I could hook it up through the cable box...until I learned that the analog audio feed on my external speaker was now out of sync with the digital audio of the TV set. The store where I bought my TV said I was simply out of luck since they have phased out the jack I needed from all the new TVs. Then I found this little device. I was concerned it would not work after reading this warning "NOTE: The D3 does not support Dolby, DTS, or other surround sound signals. Therefore, it is important that the digital audio output of your device defaults to or can be set to PCM/LPCM output. Otherwise the sound will be static." I simply could not determine compatibility from reading the manual from my TV but I rolled the dice and ordered it anyway. First I tried it in the cable box and got nothing but static. But when I plugged in through the optical audio out on the TV-presto! Crystal clear sound in perfect sync with the TV. No guarantees it will work with your particular TV set but for me it was perfection. Ten stars, twenty thumbs up couldn't be more pleased!!!!
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a very good device, as long as you understand what it does. It is a digital to analog (stereo) audio converter. It is not capable of decoding surround sound. No 5.1/7.1/Dolby/DTS signal, only 2-channel stereo. YOU CANNOT USE THIS TO PLAY DVDS ON AN XBOX.

I bought it primarily to play my Xbox 360 slim via a computer monitor that supports no sound, so I have to use a separate audio cable in addition to the HDMI. Unfortunately Microsoft crippled the RCA cable so that it blocks the HDMI connector, so I can't get both audio and video in my setup.

One solution is this FiiO box, which converts optical audio into plain RCA. In order to connect a headphone, you still need a cable that is male RCA on one end, and female headphone jack on the other. Such a cable is easy to get anywhere. You also need an optical toslink (fiber optic) cable, which is included in the product.

Here's how to use this device with the Xbox 360 slim:
- In the Xbox, go to Settings / System / Console Settings / Audio / Digital Output, choose Digital Stereo.
- Remove the protective plastic caps from both ends of the fiber optics cable. Plug one end to the Xbox, the other one to the FiiO.
- Flip the FiiO switch down (optical mode), connect the power adapter and the headphone.

You'll be able to play games, but not DVDs. The problem is that the FiiO box is unable to deal with surround audio, and all you'll get is loud noise. I never play DVDs on my Xbox, so I can live with it, but make sure you understand this limitation before you buy. If all you get is noise while playing games, you haven't set up the Xbox correctly, you need to switch it to Digital Stereo, instead of Dolby.

Of course the FiiO D3 also works with the Playstation 3, although you don't necessarily need it, because the Sony RCA cable works just fine. Here's how to configure the PS3 for the FiiO D3:
- Settings / Sound Settings / Audio Output Settings / Optical Digital.
- Make sure to uncheck Dolby, DTS and everything that is not 2 Ch.

Unlike the Xbox, the PS3 can play DVDs and Blu-ray very well via the FiiO D3. You'll get correct audio, as long as your console is configured as I suggested above.

If you plan to use other devices, such as Blu-ray player, etc., make sure you can output pure 2-channel stereo signal for the FiiO. No stereo surround, no 5.1 surround, no Dolby, no DTS. Otherwise you'll just get random noise. You might draw the conclusion that the FiiO doesn't work, when in fact it is just a limitation.

Sound quality is great for gaming. I haven't used the FiiO to listen to music. If you're serious about movies, get a home theater. But if you want to play console games via a computer monitor and stereo headphones or speakers, this is a relatively inexpensive solution that works well. It is pretty small and seems to be very well made. The power adapter is modern and doesn't get hot. There's no on/off switch or volume control on the device.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
I purchased an LG LED LCD TV, and it doesn't have analog audio output jacks. All it has is optical. I received a sound bar as a gift, and of course it has analog input jacks so I couldn't connect it to my TV. I initially hooked up the soundbar to the analog output on the cable box, but as mentioned here in another review the picture and sound were out of sync - which is extremely annoying. This converter solved my problem - AND the audio sounds better. The convert has a 'coaxial' and 'optical' switch on it - I set to 'optical' and everything worked. The instructions say to 'set the TV to PCM' which concerned me as I didn't see anything about PCM in the TV user manual, but I didn't have to do anything special with the TV at all.
on February 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought a new TV (Panasonic VIERA) and discovered that I need a converter to reconnect to my existing sound system.

I bought this one. Worked fine. Was very happy with it. Then after a few weeks the thing went bad, produced distorted sound. I got another one. Same story. Finally it dawned on me that it was permanently powered up. So I tried disconnecting the power feed, letting it cool off. And then it went back to working OK. Now whenever I wanted to watch TV I had to first go and plug in the USB power cable; when I was done watching, I had to go and unplug it. I was a slave to this overheating $25+ piece of junk.

Enough is enough. I shopped around and bought an Orei DA21. Seems to be a superior product. It automatically detects whether input is optical or co-axial (the FiiO requires you to set a switch); in addition to the RCA outputs, it also has a 3.5mm headphone output; and the sound it produces is louder and clearer. For the time being it certainly outperforms the FiiO.
==================
Well, it's now been a bit over 2 weeks that I'm using the Orei. Awesome improved sound (compared to the FiiO). Moreover, it's been permanently plugged in and no sign of overheating or misbehavior (by now the FiiO would require being unplugged and allowed to cool).
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
I read most of the reviews for this converter and I was concerned about some of the issues others had experienced. At the end of the day the price made it easy to buy and try. I am pleased to report that the converter works like a charm and for the price almost seems too good to be true.

Here are the components in the family room where I needed the converter (for others who might be dealing with similar devices).

New Component - Samsung 51" 1080p Plasma HDTV (PN51D530)
Existing Components - Bose Cinemate Digital Home Theater (first generation), Element Blu-Ray Disc Player (EDBC011), AT&T U-Verse Scientific Atlantic DVR/Receiver (IPN430MC), Nintendo WII

Everything works like a charm. All of the components run through the converter and play through the Bose Cinemate Home Theater clearly. Setup took less than 10 minutes.

I purchased the converter with cables included for under $25 on Amazon! This was definitely a life saver that allowed me to incorporate a new television into a setup with very old components.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
Fast shipping and looks like good product, But does not work with latest Panasonic 32 inch LEDTV TCL32E3.
Tried to use it with existing stereo audio receiver. The problem is panasonic digitial audio out optical terminal outputs signal based
on the source signal There is no option to just output PCM. All the digital over the air TV channels are now ATSC and TV outputs
Dolby digital based on source TV signal and all you hear is digital click click noise from speakers.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
Had to buy one of these because my new TV does not have the old style RCA plugs to hook up remote head sets for the hard of hearing. This was the best buy I have found and trust me I went all over the net and to the stores. Most stores don't know whatit is and just can't seem to understand why you need in short of buy a $300 sound around system. I received it quick and it took about 5 minutes to hook it up and all worked fine. If you buy a new TV and you use a headset check it first for the RCA connectors if not this is the best way to go. Regards, Mike
on March 11, 2012
Verified Purchase
I don't know what to say; I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma with optical audio out; we use this to go to an RCA to headphone adapter, which then gets split into two; both connections go on very long headphone extension cables - one to a treadmill that has built in speakers so that the exerciser doesn't have to blast the TV speakers (headphones also an option); the other goes to the PS3 for headphone use.

With all that cabling, this adapter still sounds great. I'm really impressed - it's a simple device that just does what it says it will do with no fuss.
on November 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
My new State-of-the-art TV had only optical audio output, but my six-year-old surround sound system only had RCA inputs. What to do? I went to three different electronics stores, where all the "experts" told me I was out of luck and would have to buy a new stereo system. I decided to go online and look for a solution and found this convertor. After what I had been told, I was a little afraid to buy it, but bit the bullet. Boy, am I glad I did! It works great, and saved me from spending many hundreds on an all- new sound system.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations