D90 or D7000? Hi there. I've had a D60 for about 2 1/2 years now and am looking to upgrade. The new D7000 looks like an amazing camera, but through my husband's work, I have the opportunity to get a D90 for free. I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting and saving up for the D7000 or if the D90 is something that I'd be happy with as an upgrade from the D60. Any thoughts?
asked by Marissa on April 14, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
vote
The D7000 is an upgrade over the D90 and is receiving pretty good reviews (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm). However, for the price of free for the D90 vs $1499.99 for the D7000, I would go with free, invest in lenses, use the D90 for 2-3 years and then upgrade the the camera. Though if you already have the lenses you want, go for the upgrade.

It all depends on your personal preference on how you want to spend your money and types of pictures you want to take.
Thomas J Tischendorf answered on April 15, 2011

A
votes
I would keep the D90 which came out in 2008 and is still in production.... Also, it has the same size sensor as the D300.. I LOVE MY NIKON D90 !!!
JB answered on April 27, 2011

A
votes
Are you saying that if you get the D7000, you can't get the D90 for free. Get the D90 for free, when and if you need the D7000 you can always get that later. This is a no brainer for me.
P. Strong answered on April 28, 2011

A
vote
You can't beat the price you have been offered. Sure, the D7000 is a wonderful camera, but the D90 should be a big improvement over your D60. The best price on a body only D7000 seems to be about $1400. The D7000 is going to get better low light performance than the d90, and a better sensor, and it is a better all around camera. But you have a chance to get a nice step- up for free.

But I would read the reviews of both. What in the world would you have to lose with free. That's hard to beat!
mobilelawyer answered on April 18, 2011

A
votes
I bought my D90 three years ago. Since that time I have never considered trading up. My D90 is perfect for my use and with the three lens I use with it, I will keep it forever. There is a reason this camera is still in production. It is a Legend Camera much like the film N4. I may have the designation wrong but the camera I am speaking of was the best SLR of all times. It was carried by most professional photographers until the DSLRs came out.
M
LTCRET answered on June 4, 2012

A
votes
Free is great, but why is it free? I recently looked at a used D-90 for around $400, a good price. It turned out the camera has a shutter count of over 95,000. That's 70 pics a day, everyday for 4 years. I'm sure had I bought this camera I would have been shelling out hundreds more for repairs in a short time.

Rick
R. Hogue answered on January 1, 2013

A
votes
Take the Free D90 Its a great Camera. I purchase my D90 new in 2008, Ive used this Camera in most photography situations and it has been great! I do a lot of people pictures in studio and outdoors and it has never failed me, great colors, and is fast enough for sporting events. I upgraded to the D90 from my d50.
Leroy S. answered on January 7, 2013

A
votes
The D90 is a huge upgrade over a D60, so you'd be happy there (for free). The D7000 is at end of life with the rumor mill reporting a replacement announcement coming soon. That being said, prices on D7000 will probably continue to drop. One benefit of the D7000 over the D90 is the ability to meter with older AI/AI-S lenses (think manual focus lenses from the 70s and 80s). Not a big deal as you can still shoot in Manual, just the camera D90 light meter wont tell you anything useful (or anything). If you dont have any AI-S lenses, I'd take the (free) D90 in a heartbeat over paying money for a D7000.
Joshua F. answered on February 5, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›