5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you might expect
I'd been told this stuff tasted like Spam, but I found it to be much more mild and "ham-like." All-in-all, a very good "emergency meat" product with a good flavor and unique texture (sort of like wood particle board if it were made from ham).

Published on December 29, 2010 by Billy Suratt

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of Spam
Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you might expect, December 29, 2010
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)

The pull-tab can is a little hard to open, so I wouldn't recommend this product for anyone with arthritis or grip strength issues. You'll find a bit of gelatinous goo inside, but not a lot.

I wanted to slice it longways to fry and it was a little tricky to slice this way due to its elliptical shape. I browned the slices in a non-stick pan with no oil and it was very tasty.

All things considered, this is one of the best canned meat products I've ever eaten. Given its long, multi-year shelf life, I can't think of any reason not to keep a few cans in the cupboard at all times.

Ingredients are listed as ham cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphates, carrageenan, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.

Nutrition info for a 2 oz. serving (8 per container) is as follows: 100 calories (60 from fat), 7g total fat (10% of daily value based on a 2,000 calorie diet), 2g saturated fat (11% DV), 0g trans fat, 40mg cholesterol (13% DV), 620mg sodium (26% DV at time of canning), less than 1g carbohydrates, less than 1g sugars and 9g of protein.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of Spam, December 1, 2012
Amazon Customer (Jacksonwald, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
I thought that the taste was very similar to regular Spam. I like Spam so I generally liked this product. I didn't call it ham because this is really a compressed mixture of ham products including pieces of ham and fat. I thought that it had more fat in it than Spam. It IS NOT like the more expensive refrigerated canned hams found at your grocery store. Bottom line is; if you don't like Spam, you probably won't like this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dam Fine Ham!!!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
I try to keep a case of this ham in my food storage all the time. Have used cans that were stocked for 5 years and they tasted great!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Better of buying SPAM!, August 21, 2013
Deborah "Deborah" (Cambridge Springs, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
In 1969 I started buying the sliced DAK ham, which was beautiful meat, rarely even a speck of fat found in the whole package. The flavor was amazing!! I had not seen sliced DAK ham in any of the stores for over 25 years. I saw this canned DAK ham and was so excited that I had found my most favorite ham in the world once again. I opened it up this morning and my heart just sank. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING but fat and gristle. I would not even feed this garbage to my dog!! I'm not sure what their purpose is for their product other than pure DECEPTION!! Too bad I can't upload a photograph of the product I would gladly show it to everyone. If your interested in seeing what it looks like in the can I wrote the same review with a photograph on the Walmart.com page.

5.0 out of 5 stars DAK Ham makes the best Ham Salad., June 1, 2011
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
A little mayo and sweet relish and great tasting ham salad results.
DAK Ham is priced right, tasty and easy to store in quanity.
We have been using it for years. Unfortunatly the main grocery stores do not shelve it. Drug outlets are our only local source. Walgreens has a knock off brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meat in a Tin!!, August 18, 2012
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
Edison, Oppenheimer, Einstein, Dyson...some of the worlds greatest scientist would be slack jawed in amazement if presented with the savoury bounty that inhabits this innocous tin of meat. Man's Genius was pushed further up the hill of evolution by this single minded brilliance.
I used to buy cured meat at the delicatessen, and then after several weeks in a warm cupboard of my Little Rock Mansion i would always be dissapointed to discover the large colony of fly's that had now set up their own version of Utopia on what had been set aside for my eating!

NO MORE HOWEVER!!! Now i can store the tin in a cupboard and the fly's gather at my window sobbing, their old home laid waste after the aluminum revolution of ham wrapping. Buy some today and say no to insect invasion!! It's the only choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
I am so pleased with this product. The ham has a great flavor. It is also just the right size for me. I plan on buying two or three more of them because they are "prepper friendly." No, I am not preparing for an apoc experience. I simply like to keep a stock of good food on hand. This ham is safe in the can for around 5 years. If you want to have something on hand for unexpected guests then this is the thing to buy. It's a product of Denmark. Everyone knows that Denmark has the best hams.

The price is more than right and the ease of use is, well, easy. Did I mention that I really like this ham?

4.0 out of 5 stars DAK CANNED HAM - WHY SO EXPENSIVE, June 23, 2013
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
I'VE ALWAYS FOUND THIS TO BE AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT WITH AN EXTENDED SHELF LIFE BUT I'M HAVING A HARD TIME LOCATING THIS PRODUCRT AT THE RETAIL LEVEL. I EXPECTED THE ON-LINE AVAILABILITY TO IMPROVE MY CHANCES. I WAS DISSAPOINTED TO FIND THE AMAZON VENDORS PRICES TO BE MORE THN TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS OTHERS.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expecting 3...Rec'd (1) ?? Buy at $3-4.ea retail, daily..., September 11, 2013
S. A. MCCLELLAN (Arlington, Or. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
I just received a shipment of misc items I ordered thru my Prime membership and I *thought* I was getting a lower price for a pkg of 3 as was adv by this seller: (Which I thought was over-priced, compared to avg retail)

Dak, Premium Ham, 16oz Can (Pack of 3)
3.4 out of 5 stars (16)
$21.39

I only received (1) and was expecting to get the others in a back order; but if I only get one...for $15+ (?) That's a real RIP OFF!

I've begun to notice that there's some unscrupulous sellers being allowed to put things for sale by Amazon...some things for hundreds of dollars, if the wrong button gets pushed, by accident (!!) And I'm abt to wonder if some of the low-priced things from Hong Kong, may be some way of getting customer info to use in some way that's not up and up, btw. (Several cancellations) Amazon needs to screen all these vendors, more closely!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality and twice the price of Walmart, July 6, 2013
This review is from: DAK Premium Ham (Misc.)
As of today, this costs $3.82 on Walmart online where I received free standard shipping on an eligible
$45+ order with Home Free.

See my photo of this mess when it is approved and attached to the item page, and compare it to the photo on the label of the product can.

This is nothing but chunks of fat pressed together with chunks of light and dark meat, along with what must be byproducts (shavings, etc).

Has a grey, off-color appearance.

VERY salty, does not hold up well when heated; turns to mush.

I'm especially befuddled because I lived in Europe for five years and I am used to high standards in European foods, especially Denmark.

I was expecting something similar to the Dubuque canned ham my mother used to purchase when I was a child.

Instead, I received something which tastes and cooks worse than SPAM.

However, I have heard it works well when diced up and put into bean soup

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›