Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 3, 2005
A great read filled with colorful illustrations & all the usual excitement you'd expect to find in a troll adventure. Of course, there is also a beautiful princess to be rescued. I don't know why Amazon lists the reading level as "baby, pre-school"!!! No baby or pre-schooler would sit through the first page. Maybe the illustrations would interest that group, but the amount of reading is far too lengthy. As a "read alone" book, I would say it is best suited for grades 3 and up.
on July 7, 1997
This book has become a family classic in our home. I enjoyed it in hardback when I was a young boy and now my children are too. This book draws you in with its unique and mysterious stories of folklore long ago. You can picture these stories actually taking place in the areas of the world where they originated. The illustrations are curious and strange in a way that helps add to the book's tales. I am constantly asked to read this title at our bedtime. I can not think of a book that has been enjoyed more by my children and myself over the years. I give it my highest recommendation.
Shawn C. Osting (shawn@intouch.org or scoitm@aol.com
on September 9, 2007
As someone who is trying to cultivate a love of literature AND a lengthy attention span in my homeschooled children, I *did* purchase this for my pre-schooler and he sat happily through the entire book (3 evenings worth of reading for us). The d'Aulaire illustrations were, as always, engaging, soft, and encouraging to the child's imagination. Detailed without taking over the telling of the tales. Basically, it covered all of my criteria to be purchased: well written and if it has illustrations they need to be worthy of the story and worth looking at.

The down side to this book is that it is in some ways a long treatise on trolls that happens to include some stories as examples. This means that your child ends the book having been exposed to a lot of the folk beliefs of Scandinavian trolls, with a limited number of stories, and that it doesn't offer simple cut-off points for bedtime reading. On the other hand, it means it is a book worth revisiting as a child grows older; in our case so our children will be versed in the folklore and belief of their ancestors. A simpler bedtime book with lovely woodblock illustrations would be Lise Lunge-Larsen's "The Troll with No Heart in His Body." It is a collection of the stories with very brief intros that can be included or omitted according to the moment (at bedtime with my pre-schooler I tend to leave them out; when reading during the day I am more likely to include them).

I'm not really suggesting one book over the other. In a search for either cultural literacy or multiculturalism, both have their place and are both well told, well illustrated and will add to your child's imaginative landscape.
on July 11, 2001
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I checked it out of the library over and over . The pictures just seem to come to life, the stories are enchanting. A must have for troll collectors. I purchased a copy at long last! Thanks Amazon
on May 29, 2014
This book seems to have perfectly captured the spirit of Norwegian Trolls. These creatures of myth were once genuinely feared by children and adults alike. Yet, with time, the culture has embraced them as a symbol of superstitious mischief. In modern day Norway, the troll is an impishly cute, cuddly sort of a thing. And this beautifully illustrated book has managed to replicate this transition. Your kids will shiver, squeel, and giggle at the stories in this collection. Nothing makes the monster under the bed so easy to deal with as showing that a monster can be cuddly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2014
D'Aulaires' Book of Trolls is a companion book to D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths. Both books have the same dimensions (12" x 9"), which I greatly appreciate for vain shelf placement aesthetics. In this book, we see the nighttime side of Norse mythology, for everyone knows that trolls only come out when the sun goes down. There aren't many specific tales about trolls in this book, but it is more a guide to what trolls are, what they look like, customs, etc.

Some of the things I learned in this book is that the more heads a troll had, the harder it was for him to eat because all the heads were hungry and greedy. I also learned that the number of knots a troll could tie in his tail indicated his rank among trolls. Trolls are also very rich, because they own the gold and silver under the mountains. Lastly, trolls turn to stone and shatter in the sun. Most/all of the trolls probably turned to stone, and this is why you don't see them anymore. As an adult, I enjoyed learning and reading about trolls. From a child's perspective, I could see how it might be a little frustrating to have few clear stories and instead be presented with a FAQ on Trolls. It is still engaging and full of great illustrations, so if you buy D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths, you will definitely want to pair this book with it.
on November 3, 2011
I love this book. Simple as that. Many of the stories are the same ones you'll find in other troll books, but no one tells them (or illustrates them) quite like the D'Aulaires. Not only is it one of the most magical children's books of the last fifty years, it's one of the best books period.
on January 23, 2007
My grandsons loved this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the tales are quaint. We will be certain to treasure this book for years.
on February 19, 2016
D’Aulaire’s Book of Trolls is a fun romp through the traditional stories of Nordic Trolls, suitable for children and adults.

The illustrations are a delight and are filled with enough details to engage a child’s curiosity and help them to remember specifics from the stories.

The stories themselves are quite varied and cover a wide range of Troll folklore. There are some details I would disagree with, but overall quite accurate and at a good comprehension level for my children (aged 7 with a 4th grade reading level).

Probably the biggest problem with this book is that it includes a lot of exposition. There’s a lot of cultural knowledge you have to possess to understand Trolls, so in places it feels more like a bunch of explanation with stories as examples. But, even that exposition is engaging, so it’s not a big problem.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone who is looking for fun folklore stories to read to their children, have their children read on their own (3rd grade level, probably), or want a quick read on folklore for themselves.
on August 22, 2013
We love reading about hobbits, elves and dwarves and so we were thrilled to find D'Aulaire's book about trolls! It is a fascinating look at Norse myths and history, much of which inspired Tolkein's own writing in The Lord of the Rings. I would also reccommend the D'Aulaire's book of Norse mythology - it is a wild and crazy read that reveals many influences on our own culture. Of course the book on Greek Mythology is a must read for any child, and especially for Percy Jackson fans.