Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Size: 12 PackChange

on July 5, 2012
I have become a fan of drinking whiskey, and I do prefer it on the rocks, so this seems like a great concept: Chill your booze but don't water it down! BUT, it is of limited use.

My wife gave me these as a gift and I thought it was a neat idea. Looking inside, the black velvet bag and the marbled grey stones inside do have a good esthetic feel to them. It is certainly a nice novelty gift for someone.

I put the rocks in my freezer and let them chill overnight. I took them out, then poured myself some Kentucky Bourbon over them in a tumbler. They have an interesting look in a tumbler, and certainly would be a conversation starter walking around with them in your glass.

First shot out of the box, the rocks definitely help cool the whiskey, but they are not able to really chill it like ice would. Close maybe, but not totally there. Of course, if you have yourself another, by this time the rocks have lost much of their chill, and you will only see a moderate affect on the booze.

Now, if you REALLY hate your whiskey watered down, but like it chilled, I would definitely recommend this product. Even if you are agnostic on that, these are a neat little thing to have around, but do not expect them to replace ordinary ice.

BTW, I could detect NO affect on the whiskey itself from the rocks, as advertised.

I gave the product 4 stars because it's a neat idea, I do use them and they do work somewhat, but I do like them, but I can't give it a resounding 5.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2013
I have always wanted a set of these, but the reviews online were, well, iffy at best. I decided to get them anyway and scientifically test their cooling power. Here is what I did and the results:
I filled three identical glasses with exactly 6oz of water. Per the directions, the recommended usage was 3 rocks per 2oz of liquid. I measured the liquid displacement and determined that my ice cubes displaced 1oz of liquid each which was identical to the displacement of 3 of the rocks. I placed 3 ice cubes in he glass and 9 of the rocks and started measuring temperature changes between the three glasses - one control with NO cooling, one with ice, and one with the rocks. Over the course of 30 minutes I checked temperature every 5 min. The control saw very little change (down .3 degrees). The ice brought the water down 26.3 degrees in the first 15 minutes then started warming slightly because the ice was melted.

How did these rocks fare? They dropped the temperature in the water by 4 degrees and maintained it for 20 minutes before starting to warm up.

This disappointed me as I was hoping for a little more cooling from these. They DO cool the liquid a bit and keep it cooler for longer, but they do not cool as well as ice. That being said, I do like them and I do use them in my scotch to help keep it cool but not cold.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
I like drinking my single malt scotch cold, but I hate using ice because of what it does to the consistency and the taste. Sometimes the ice melts too quickly so the scotch is watered down, sometimes the ice cubes are too big and make drinking a chore...

As a result, I drink my scotch neat.

I received these stones on Friday, washed them off, put them in the freezer and then tried them out with my scotch on Friday evening. I was thrilled.

The stones cooled the scotch down, but didn't freeze it to the point where my taste buds were frozen out of the taste. The scotch opened up nicely a little cooled down and there was no issue with my swallowing the stones as I drank the scotch on the bottom of the glass.

If you like ice cold scotch, these stones won't work for you. If you use ice to cool down and dilute your scotch, these stones won't work for you. But, I specifically don't drink scotch with ice because I don't want the two aforementioned by-products of using ice. As a result, this is a perfect product.

The stones are attractive, easy to use and will make a great gift for a number of my friends who enjoy scotch. I am not sure what the purpose of the bag is (it's nice looking, but I just keep the stones in the freezer... am I supposed to put the stones in the bag in the freezer???), but it's nice!
on September 14, 2012
I am a big fan of a specific brand of Irish Whiskey and though I really love it, it always got watered down by ice cubes. These rocks were a birthday gift and have really enhanced the favor of my drink.

As another reviewer mentioned these are not ice cubes. This is for bringing out the unique flavors of your drink. Your drink is not going to be icy cold and it is not going to get thinner as you sip it is going to taste like the distiller meant it to taste.

Great invention, great product, wonderful gift.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 27, 2013
I have often thought of buying these stones in the past but couldn't get around the idea that rocks and glass don't usually mix. However, these are small, dice sized rocks with very soft edges. They come nicely packaged in a box with a carry bag for storage.

The rocks have a certain 'cool' factor, look great and feel great. They do cool down your liquor but not the same as a few ice cubes. And, I learned that with some drinks, I like the dilution of the ice. However, these chilling rocks are nice if you want a chill and the full flavor of your favorite whiskey. They left no residue and did not alter the taste.

A great gift idea as well.

I was provided a set of rocks for evaluation and review.
on January 26, 2013
Not only did these not chill my drink, they left soapstone sediment in the glass. I don't want to drink soapstone sediment. BOO
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
This was a Christmas gift for my husband. I love the fact that there is no water touching the whisky.
Easy to use, clean, no weird water ice taste.
I use it also for my Italian soda.
How to use:
Leave the bag in the freezer, take one or two cube for your drink, rinse it with water, dry it up and put it back on the freezer.
No more water dilution
on April 12, 2012
They're packaged nicely, cubes have smooth corners and worked well. That being said, I wouldn't be sloshing these vigorously in your nice whiskey glass....a gentle swirl does the trick. They DO NOT cool as strongly as ice cubes, but just enough to take the edge off and give your drink a nice mouth feel. Worth getting, homies!
on October 9, 2012
This was a good idea in theory, but ended up being complete junk. The rocks fizzed and made the glass murky! This is NOT better than ice! Do not waste your money!
on November 3, 2015
I purchased the DB-Tech Whisky Chilling Rocks Gift Set to use when I drink juice, soda, water or milk that I do not want diluted. I do not drink alcohol so I do not know how it works, but I would assume it slightly chills it without diluting, just like it does with my juice.

I store my Whisky Chilling Rocks in the freezer so they are ready at a moments notice when I need them. They slightly chill a room temperature drink, they do not make it Ice cold but you can definitely tell a difference from room temp to slightly chilled. I use 4-9 Rocks in an 8 ounce glass. I found that if you use a glass made out of glass instead of plastic, it seems to chill a little better. The most important thing, is that it does not dilute your drink. It also keeps your cold drinks, cooler longer without the worry of dilution.

You need to store the Ice Rocks in the freezer for at least four hours before you use them. When you are finished with your drink, wash them with soap and water, pat them dry and place them in the velvet pouch and then place in the freezer. Always place them in your glass before you pour your drink. If you drop them down in a glass afterwards, you may end up breaking your glass.

The Whisky Chilling Rocks are 3/4 inch square. They are made out of 100% Soapstone and are a greyish color. You receive a velvet pouch that you store the rocks in to keep them clean. The pouch makes it easy to grab out of the freezer instead of having to hunt down all the loose rocks in your freezer. The rocks do not flavor your beverages and they do not absorb any smells.

I received this product for free in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image

See 1 answered question