4.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says
Great, low-cost method of converting those old tapes to mp3. I found all my old tapes when cleaning out my basement. Immediately, I had to listen to them but all I had was an old, dead walkman, no tape player in my car and not a boombox to speak of. I immediately went to Amazon to find a solution. This was it - only $25 and works with my PC.

The unit itself...
Published on October 11, 2011 by Josh from Boston

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but I'm not sure for how long
Published on August 20, 2011 by badcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says, October 11, 2011
This review is from: DBTech Audio USB Portable Cassette Tape-to-MP3 Player Adapter with USB Cable and Software Cd Also Features Auto Reverse - FOR PC (Electronics)

The unit itself isn't rock solid. It's made of plastic and will break if you drop it or mistreat it in any way. But left in good hands, this should last a while - and I only need it to convert my tapes once. I followed the little instruction booklet to install the driver (I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Dell XPS machine). Just plug in the device to a USB port with the included cable and the driver installs automagically. It uses a generic audio driver and then is recognized by your machine as an audio input device, basically a microphone. Now, just install Audacity from the small disk that's included. You can download Audacity for free and install it that way if you prefer, but the disk does come with the mp3 codec needed to convert the raw audio to mp3. Anyway, I installed from disk and followed set my preferences as instructed and had no issues with mp3 conversion. When I first fired up the tape device and pressed play and record in Audacity... NOTHING!?!?!

Well, I'm an idiot I guess. I had the volume on the unit all the way down so no audio was coming through. The instructions don't mention anything about setting the volume all the way up, and frankly I thought the volume was strictly for the headphone jack, but you'll want to do that to get the strongest audio signal as possible. As soon as I did that - BAM! - worked like a charm. I then recorded my tapes and saved each side as audacity projects so that I could go back later and cut up the tracks so I could save each track as an mp3 with all details. This way, iTunes will look at it as the actual album and download the artwork, etc.

The entire process is a bit time-consuming and it does require some basic knowledge of audio editing, especially if you're going to separate the tracks as I did. If you've used Audacity, Garageband, or any other audio editing tool then you'll have no problems. If you've never used one, then download Audacity for free and play around a bit before you try converting all your cassettes.

Finished mp3 files are lower fidelity than original digital files, and there is some tape noise that comes through, but all in all if you want to keep your treasures with you forever, especially those that you can't buy or reproduce anymore, then I would recommend picking this unit up and giving it a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but I'm not sure for how long, August 20, 2011
This little box works as advertised, but I'm not sure how long it will last. To start at the beginning, the instructions for Audacity software installation are written in micro print by someone who didn't speak english as a first language, but they work and *are* understandable. However, the instructions tell you in the Audacity Preferences to set recording device to "USB PnP Audio Device" from a drop down menu. I did not have that option, so selected SigmaTel audio, and that works.
The first night I was using it, the fast foward button quit working. The player has 'auto reverse' (automatically changes direction at the end of a tape), but Reverse is always in the same direction, so depending what side of the tape is playing/being recorded, it could be reverse or fast forward, so it takes a bit to figure out where you are on the tape.
BUT- the program works, and will save out to mp3 or wav files. I bought this unit because I do not have an ipod and didn't want to buy other units I saw that require the use of itunes. While the included instructions talk about installing Audacity, they do not do much for explaining how to use the program- how to separate the tracks, how to set levels, no details, and the Help section isn't much help. It's not too hard to figure out after a while of trial and error and clicking around how to make things work, but a little more explanation on the basic separating and labeling of tracks would be helpful. Another major point that should have been explained is that the recording level is actually set by the volume wheel on the cassette player, which leaves me wondering what's the point of the gain feature in the Audacity program itself.
Overall, it works to do what it's supposed to do- save my dusty old tapes of collected music to digital format- but the unit seems cheaply made, the door could snap off easily, and I question how long it'll keep going before the reverse or play button also quits. But for about $20, I shouldn't complain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Junk - Don't Waste Your Money, December 20, 2011
I bought this via Amazon. Used it for a few days copying old tapes of language lessons. Seemed OK. Then, when I copied music, I began to notice the notes were badly off pitch. Sour notes. Tried different tapes. No difference. Should note that these were classical and traditional vocal, not rock music. Assuming this was the result of crud on the heads, I cleaned the heads. No improvement. Put the tapes in the player in my car. Pitch was right. So it was not a problem with the tapes. Tried a different PC. Off pitch. Swapped USB cables. Off pitch.

It was clear that the tape drive was out of adjustment. No way for user to adjust. Do these people know about 440 A? There must be a tape somewhere that puts out 440 A. We can buy inexpensive guitar, etc. tuners so it is not asking a lot for these drives to be adjusted before being shipped.

Only reasonable solution was to toss this into the trash. At this price, it would cost far too much to return it or to have a technician repair it. Will try to find another brand. This time I will triple check that there is an adjustment screw which is user accessible without having to disassemble the device. A hole in the back cover with a rubber plug would work. Not exactly brain surgery.

If you look at the other cassette USB to CD listings, you will see that this same device is sold with a number of brands - and sometimes cheaper. Read the one-star reviews of these. Some of them cite the same problems I had. No way to correct slow turning of the capstan.

Horrible. Simply horrible piece of junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars I RETURNED THIS UNIT, December 22, 2011
This seems nice in concept, however the software comes only on a mini-disc. The slot on my laptop cannot accommodate a mini disc. I emailed the manufacturer asking if I can get the software in full size CD or a download and they never even replied. Since I cannot access the software, I returned the unit as unusable. I also did not appreciate the lack of reply and non-existing customer service. BUYER BEWARE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for simple jobs..., September 9, 2011
J. K. MCFETRIDGE (Anchorage, AK USA) - See all my reviews
Reasonable price for a product that pulls power from USB port. Disappointed with tape handling - not enough power to move tape without some wavering. If you have good tapes that need to be transferred to MP3 format, this is a good tool. However, if the tapes are at all marginal (like mine - played a whole lot) you may want to look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars db tech usb cassette capture device, October 27, 2011
I've only had this little cassette capture device for a few days, and I've already convertered the several cassettes that were most important to me. These include some science fiction "books-on-tape," and some classical music. Now I have it all on my iPod Touch.
As others have stated (above), this device is not made of highly durable and rugged materials. It probably wouldn't last with any rough treatment. But, with care, it will get the job done, for a very reasonable price.
Using my usual style, I fumbled through all the steps. Made some mistakes. But, with some trial and error, it didn't take very long. Actually, the hardest (most time consuming)part is the waiting around while the tapes play to the computer.
I give it a five star because it did everything I needed done.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy, December 21, 2011
The first use was great, software was user friendly and easy to set up. Item worked to copy 4 tapes and then slowed down to about 60% speed. It does seem flimsy as noted in earlier reviews. I'm in the market for something else now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dud, January 23, 2012
For Christmas 2011, I received a Db tech tape to digital converter. I finally got a chance to play with it the weekend of January 14-15 and was very pleased with the ease of use and performance.
Now this past weekend, January 21-22, I tried to use it again, only to find it is no longer working properly. It will record the first and maybe part of a second song before it plays and records a warbling/trilling in the audio. Thinking it may have been the tape, I tried several others with the same result. I then tried the same tapes in another tape player and the tapes played correctly.
I went back through the original paperwork looking for a troubleshooting guide and found none. There was no number to call with questions.
I have emailed Dbtech and they say they will replace it once I send them the order number from when it was purchased. (As it was a gift, I may or may not be able to provide that number.)
After reading the other reviews, I agree it is very cheap looking, but I will have to say for the one weekend it worked, I was pleased with its performance. However, I don't think it's too much to expect it to work for more than one weekend before becoming useless garbage.
UPDATE 02/23/12 - There was no hassle in getting a replacement. Dbtech sent a new unit and I had it within a week of emailing my complaint. I received an email from Dbtech asking if I was happy with the replacement. My response: Unfortunately, I can't say that I am happy with it either. The tape speed is not consistent, so the sound alternates between dragging and catching up. I would be willing to admit if the tapes were the problem, but I have had the same cassette deck since 1983, and they still play just fine on it. I'm just resigned to the fact that things just aren't made to last like they used to be. They are now sending ANOTHER unit. Maybe the 3rd one will be the one that works!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap piece of machinery, December 5, 2011
The cassette player itself was cheaply made and seemed to be of just a cheap plastic. The audio playback was poor and sounded distorted for the different tapes I tried to play. The software included is Audacity, which can just be downloaded from the Web. All you need is a cassette recorder and cord to connect to computer via the microphone port. I tried to then just use the software and couldn't because it wouldn't recognize the player, even after I'd followed the scant directions found in the instruction booklet. Do yourself a favor and find yourself a well-made cassette player and then just use Audacity from online.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for an hour, then no more audio signal, March 27, 2012
Karen Eickemeyer (Palatine, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I found the installation and operation quite easy and was able to start recording immediately. However, when recording the 8th track, the audio signal abruptly stopped and never worked again. The Play, Rewind and Forward buttons all seem to be working, but no audio signal comes through to Audacity. Tried using a different cable and different casette, but no luck. This was a waste of time and money.

Rate and Discover Movies