on August 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
Firstly, the product fits the adapter perfectly. This microscope consists of the metal lens/led light and a plastic adapter. The adapter is black and made of plastic that's thin but doesn't break nor does it feel flimsy. It snaps onto your phone, and the microscope is held into the adapter by you pushing it into a hole on the back of the adapter. It's a snug fit.

I've used it for about 4 months now. Just like the iPhone camera is so much more handy that you find yourself using it instead of your regular digital camera, despite the latter taking slightly better photos, I find myself almost never using my regular microscope anymore except for very serious work.

I've used this in a wide range of situations. It turns out even focusing is easy, because your iPhone camera's auto focus feature works through the lens. You don't even need to fiddle with dials and nobs to get a clear view of your subject. What's more, you can take movies of what you're looking at through the lens.

I've taken photos of the organs of tadpoles smaller than a pea, and then FILMED their heart and lungs pumping through their transparent skin. It's really something. I've used it constantly to photograph and understand all sorts of small living things, including tiny red slider mites and other insects.

I figure the bad reviews must be people who didn't really get how to use the product and felt upset about that, or didn't realize they can return a defective product through amazon almost as easily as through a retail store. If your lens doesn't fit the adapter, by all means tell the seller and swap it or with one that works. I never had that problem myself though.

The product even has a blue light that will expose better color gradation on your subjects like higher end microscopes. The regular led is so bright it's blinding to look at, and the batteries haven't run out yet. The fact that you can turn the led off is also very useful, depending on your conditions.

BOTTOM LINE: This has stood up to very intensive use over months. Exchange the product if it doesn't work; mine was fine. This is one of those products that's very cheap and yet extremely useful and good quality.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
I'm happy with the product. Some description that will be helpful... This product is a essentially two things: 1) A black plastic snap on cover/case which goes onto the phone. and 2) the magnifier unit.

The magnifier is pretty much the same as standalone magnifiers seen for sale for just 3-4 dollars. The magnifier unit simply friction fit/slips into correct position on the black snap-on case.

The magnifier has a hinge in the middle which allows for better positioning of the included led light. Notice the clear plastic hub around the base of lens portion. In order to see objects with the unit, you will need to essentially place the magnifier unit in almost direct contact with the subject. In other words, you will probably need to place the lens right on the paper etc that will be magnified/observed.

If you want to see the up close image of printed type on a page, plan on positiong the lens portion right up against the page directly. The LEDs on this unit are slaned a bit more toward the direction of the lens (vs the LEDs I have seen on magnifiers sold separetly). This slant works fine.

Yes, when you see the image in the iPhone, you will only see a round portion in the viewfnd. This is OK. If you expect lots better, get some real equipment! Again,this thing does work well for what it is and what it costs.

You are essentially paying a bit of a premium to get a holder to position this inexpensive magnifier into position on the iPhone. I already had one of the magnifiers alone. It was nearly impossible to manually hold the lens in place. The additional convenience of the black snap-on holder is worth the cost.

Also you may see this magnifier unit being described as being "brass". This is completely not true. But the unit is good for the money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
The product recieved was as advertised. I have used this for an upcoming presentation on dust particles. I was able to use it and get photos of dust particles down to 10 microns.
on December 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
I had seen a couple web reviews for this microscope and figured that, for the price, I couldn't go wrong even if I had to use it to level the leg of my kitchen table. It came today well packaged in a nice box (I was expecting it to be floating loose in a box of peanuts). Assembly was pretty much straight forward and easy. I only used the instructions to check that I had assembled it correctly. The white lights were very bright and I assume that the bluish/purple light gives off a some light in the ultraviolet spectrum, but haven't tried it yet to make sure.

With the iPhone set to wide angle the image was rather small, but using the zoom feature was able to fill the screen with a pretty darn good well focused image. Generally cheaper optics will have some major fringing or color aberrations, but I was amazed that it was minimal (at least for the price!) and most noticeable was a slight bluish tinge towards the edge of the screen.

I don't know if I would recommend this for professional use, and haven't used it long enough to know how well it holds up, but for anyone interested in experimenting with photomicroscopy and not paying a fortune, this might be the ticket.

FYI I turned the blue/purple light on in a dark room and all sorts of things fluoresced, so it does produce UV frequencies.
on March 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
$4.00. I don't think I can even purchase a case for an iPhone for that little money in a retail store. This case comes with a two color LED light and a microscope!

The way this whole thing works (I know others state this but I just want to make my experience known) is you snap the plastic case on to your iPhone 4/4s. There is a large threaded hole in the case over the rear camera to which you screw on the microscope assembly.

The microscope assembly has several parts: the plastic threaded metal barrel that screws to the case, another metal barrel with the lenses in it which as the ability to slide along the first(upper) barrel to focus the image. The two barrels slide along each other fairly freely. At the end of the lens barrel is a clear plastic shield with an opening about 1/4 of the circumference. Attached to the clear shield is the light with white/off/blue settings on the power switch.

Once you have everything attached you enter the iPhone's camera app. I find that pinch zooming so only the field of the microscope lens is visible yields better looking images than recording the vignetting and microscope barrel itself. During the pinch zoom there is no need to worry about what is in the field of view of the scope.
Next place the clear shield ON the item you want to view. The iPhone's camera should auto-focus to make a clear image.
If the the item is not flat, you can extend the barrels to focus on items that are closer to the iPhone than the end of the shield. The fully collapsed tubes actually allow focusing for about 2mm beyond the clear shield, and a fully extended barrel allows focusing for items that are almost touching the microscope's lens.

Understand, I gave this item 5 stars as a result of the value of the product. On a scale of 1-10 in overall microscope ratings I'd rate this as a 2 but the price of less that $5 really changes my opinion of it.
It does work. You will see and photograph items and structures that you can not see with just your eyes. The focusing is a challenge much of the time.
I have access to a very nice stereo microscope at work and the field of view and sharpness of that microscope make this one look like a toy, but I can carry this 60x scope in my pocket and I can take pictures with it or just point to things on the screen that I want to point out.
Set up AirPlay mirroring from the iPhone to a TV and you can share images with many people; no wires or projectors needed.
on December 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
This little microscope is great and I highly recommend it. I have one and I bought two as Christmas gifts for colleagues at work. I have seen mixed reviews of this and I think some people have unrealistic expectations. For any microscope or magnifying loupe there is a very limited distance to the sample that can be in focus. You will need to carefully control the iPhone lens surface to be parallel to the surface you are imaging and to make the distance between the two to be about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches. I have not paid too much attention to the distance from the front of the lens to the sample but I suspect that is about 3/16 of an inch. I zoom the iPhone lens to get rid of the limited field of view. Handholding this can be difficult so I usually rest the phone on a small piece of wood (a small piece of 2x4 works well). You touch the image on the phone to select an area to use for exposure and focus and if the image looks good, take the picture. If it looks blurry, you are either too close or too far away so you will to make an adjustment somehow.

I have taken a picture of the eye on the back of the 1 dollar bill, the "E PL UN" on the back of the penny (part of the E PLURIBUS UNUM),and of the Velcro hooks. I am least pleased with the Velcro because it has too much depth for everything to be in focus. I have spectacular results making the iPhone into a petrographic microscope with crossed polarizers. I take apart a pair of the 3D glasses that I get from my movie theater, cross them to make it black, put a geological thin section in between and lay them on a light box. I get the iPhone just the perfect distance above, touch an area of interest and take the picture. I sometimes crop the image a little bit because an edge might be a little bit blurry. If this were a $1000 objective lens on an expensive microscope I might be a little upset by this, but let's not forget that this cost less than $10 and it is a great buy.
on October 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
First of all, if you have a case of any kind on your iPhone 4 you will have to remove it to use this lens.

The lens is pretty small, making it difficult to get the magnified image in focus. The lens slides in and out to focus, but you have to have the clear part right on the subject and I end up pushing a bit which takes image out of focus. Because the lens is small, you don't get much of your subject in the frame. With 60X, you can see things you would not see with the naked eye.

I bought this to take close-up pictures of coins. However, the narrow focus and proximity of the lens to the subject, only raw, ungraded coins can be viewed and because the clear part must be right on the subject you might scratch your raw coin.

The case you must use on your iPhone in order to use the lens is very difficult to get back off your phone. I struggled for a couple of minutes trying to pry it off with my fingernails.

This lens unit is kind of fun. I see myself using it once in a while to get extreme close-ups of coins and other things. But since the focus is so narrow and the image so small and so magnified it's hard to see, I don't see me using it regularly.
on December 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought this just to play around with my iPhone and it works as advertised. Takes decent pictures and the mount/case works great. I also noticed that the Sherlock Holmes character on the show "Elementary" also has one of these. :)
on April 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
First time I ordered a single and then I ordered more. It was a different product both times. First time a full case and the second time a half case. I can see why others have had varying degrees of success. I'm irked that what I received the first time is not what I received the second time.
on August 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
I tacked this onto an order to qualify for $25 free shipping, and its probably the coolest iphone gadget you can get. it works exactly as described, and with a little focusing, I can get good quality pictures with it. I've already found it useful in identifying a tick on our puppy.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations