Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 19, 2011
As a casual fan of the DC universe, I didn't really feel like investing in a massive tome like the encyclopedia. This is a nice book to just thumb through now and then. It gives adequate descriptions of the characters and has a nice selection of artwork. It's definitely a far cry better than the similar Marvel book released in 2010, which omitted a number of major characters and featured duplicate entries for some who took on more than one alias.
on January 22, 2012
My 5-year old son is mad about superheros. When we got this book from the library, he could not put it down. He took it to bed with him last night, and we will often find him "reading it" by himself. If your child has similar propencities, and you want to tempt them to read & love books, you'll likely be delighted with this.
on October 8, 2014
My grandson LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this book. Now I know, DC Comics is his FAVORITE. He sat and started reading about all his favorite heros and villains. He was so excited to get it, he wanted to take it home and not leave it at his Mimi's house. I encourage reading (especially for boys), so I let him take it home. I only see my grandson about 2-3 times a month so I wanted him to have the full DC COMICS experience. He's almost 8 years old but when he saw this book, it was like I had bought the most amazing spectacular thing he had seen. That's no small feat, because he's loves all things technological. I'm glad a simple book could arouse such excitement and interest in something that he can hold in his hands, read and share with his friends.
on September 6, 2011
Not as thorough but, basic and to the point for each character in the DC Universe. If you're young and a beginner into the realm of comics then this guide does serve a good purpose for you. For those who're hardcore and more seasoned I'd suggest the DC Encyclopedia Updated and Expanded Edition. Overall It's a decent and competent guide to reference DC characters. I recommend it.
on February 13, 2016
I got this book for my 3 year old super hero/villain obsessed little boy and wow I was impressed! This book is so nice and perfect for what I wanted which was an entertaining super hero based info that could grow a bit with my three year old and this nailed that. The cover of the book is hard, its shiny, intriguing, and looks really nice. The inside of the book is just as good, bright pictures, nice descriptions, etc. He will sometimes spend an hour just flipping through the pages looking at all of the pictures. To me it seems this book has a good amount of info and would be useful/entertaining to a wide variety of ages so do not think this is just for little kids. Hubby and I have both checked this book out and we also have pulled it out a few times to fact check. I definitely recommend it!
on October 20, 2014
The hardcover is nice, it has no sleeve around it which is fine, and the cover has a glossy finish with shiny foil for the background and lettering. The book is organized alphabetically and each character occupies 1 page. There is not a whole lot of reading for the each page, just a small tease of the character for someone who does not know who the character is.
That being said, the book is written more for a younger audience. It is evident in the tone. There is not a lot of meat in these pages.
It's still a nice reference book, but don't expect it to occupy an adult's time for long.
on October 10, 2015
This book is aesthetically pleasing. And came suprising quick and shipped very nicely . I ordered the package with all three and the encyclopedia was the only book in bubble paper. The complaint I have is there are MISPRINTS at some of the tops of the pages. The little letter doesn't match the characters on the pages. It drives my OCD brother crazy.
on March 28, 2014
This is not an "ultimate guide," and should not have been titled as such. More accurately, this is a simplified overview most appropriate for children. No historical overview is provided anywhere in the book. Each alphabetized listing provides very little text: no character receives more than three or four sentences. Some of the illustrations seem to have been "updated" or scanned by computer. Disturbingly, one of the most prominent pieces of information is each character's height and weight, with about 90% of the male characters coming in at 6' tall, 185 lbs. Another distracting inclusion is a hand-to-hand combat ability rating, which is irrelevant for heroes/villains who don't fight with their fists. Why was the decision made to include this sort of new information, and who came up with it? Suffice it to say that this book is not for more serious readers looking for a reliable and comprehensive encyclopedia; rather, the book seems targeted toward fourth or fifth graders, which ought to have been more clearly indicated by the book cover and in the product description. What the publisher and author should have done in a book with this title: 1) List famous issues, famous conflicts/battles, and key background information; 2) Show how visual representations and primary artists have changed over the years for each character; 3) Avoid the temptation to create and include information that was never established or disseminated in actual issues.
on February 17, 2013
And that's good enough for me.

However, I love it too...and that's awesome. I get to share my childhood love with my boy.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves comics and superheros...especially these days of all the superhero movies.

(This applies to both the DC Comics book and the Marvel version. Same review)
on March 7, 2016
My son claims to love Marvel more than DC, but after reading this book and actually learning more in depth things about the DC characters, he is now a true DC fan. These large, colorful books are excellent reference tools for any true comic fan.