This is a really solid deck for a good price. I was looking for a fairly stripped down receiver that had bluetooth/iPhone integration and little else.

I didn't need satellite radio, I didn't need overly sophisticated EQ adjustments. Just good power, good looks, and Siri.

Published 14 months ago by swenpaylay

2.0 out of 5 stars Display is frustrating
Published 11 months ago by Hvns2Betse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and iPhone integration in my Subaru. Pair it with a decent pair of speakers., October 1, 2013
This review is from: DEH-X6600BT - Pioneer In-Dash CD/MP3/WMA Car Stereo Receiver with Bluetooth, iPhone/iPod USB Support, Android Media Access, and Pandora Ready (Electronics)

I researched thoroughly and came up with this Pioneer unit. It's great! It beat out a similar Alpine unit because it supposedly has superior Siri 'Eyes-Free' support.

Note: Does not have SD card slot as description says. USB, though.

I installed this along with a pair of thin Polk Audio speakers in the front of my 2007 Subaru WRX and couldn't be happier. They pair well and sound very, very good. No need for sub or rear upgrades, in my opinion. This is plenty for me and I am a borderline audiophile. I highly recommend upgrading the two front speakers in the car along with the deck or you'll get rattles and blown speakers. At least thats the case with Subarus and most non-luxury brands. With the Polks and the deck, and the fader about 70% to the front speakers, I have barely noticeable distortion at maximum volume. I used the 'powerful' EQ preset along with med loudness and 3 on the bass boost and it's great for hip-hop and house music. For honkey tonk and acoustic stuff, I'll probably turn the bass booster down but leave the rest. Yes, diversity in music taste. I run 320k MP3s exclusively. Haven't tested a CD yet. The FM tuner seems a little on the weak side but it has settings I haven't played with yet. The one AM station i listen to barely came in.

It's also much better looking than last years model both in layout and lighting. The dimmer keeps it from being obnoxious. I don't use the light effects except for when the phone rings. The fact that you can fine tune the lighting effects was a big selling point for me.

Bluetooth audio and phone conversations are perfect. I mounted the mic on my steering column. iPhone synced easily and reconnects when i turn the car on. Seems to be efficient with power compared to other bluetooth systems I've used. All contacts and track titles load on to the deck so when someone calls you know who it is.

No complaints so far. Some complain about it being too dim or too bright. Have you people had an aftermarket deck? it's always been an issue. I had a Clarion deck in my previous car, and I had to put electrical tape over the screen because it was blinding at night. Seriously, dangerous. The dimmer button gives you several brightness settings to match the situation. I keep mine turned down all the way and keep it green to match the Subaru's interior lights, and I can actually see it better in the day time than the factory unit.

I bought a 32gig USB stick, one of the tiny Sandisc ones, to pair with the deck. I plan to format it in FAT32 and load a big chunk of my library and have it dedicated for the car. This will save iPhone battery for music and probably marginally increase audio quality. I'll update the review with that info.

UPDATE: I went on a 10 hour road trip with the unit over the weekend and installed the 'SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive.'

The flash drive in the USB slot worked great. Very good quality and the interface for finding music is decent enough. I just made sure I was orderly with the files and deleted 'The' from the names of bands. It plays continuously and picks up where you left off when you get back in the car. It was a pain to get the music on the drive in an orderly way . A lot of my older files were apple AAC (which isn't supported) so i had to manually convert to mp3 and there was a loss of quality there. Other than that, though, I'm glad i got it done. having a 32 gig dedicated flash drive for the unit is awesome.

On the road, I did notice a problem with glare. Some people said the unit is too dim for bright daytime settings, but that's not the case. It's that the screen is too glossy in the plastic and it constantly reflects. I will probably trim an iphone anti-glare screen protector for this issue. Overall, though, it didn't bother me much.

Siri worked great on the road with the unit. Calls were clear and I checked NFL scores since I had to drive on a Sunday. When playing music through USB, the unit switches to the phone and back automatically for calls and Siri.

***A BIG However, if you use iPhone navigation, you have to use Bluetooth Audio for the directions to come through the car. This means that if you want that seamless fade out of the music for Siri to tell you where to go, you have to run BTA and NAV at the same time, which means your battery will last about 5 minutes in the phone. I don't fault the deck though, I'm sure it's an iPhone software thing.

Driving at midnight in the middle of nowhere in pitch darkness, the unit was still too bright even on the lowest setting. It wasn't blinding like other decks I've had, but I wish i could have turned it down a little bit more. Or, if it could be wired into the car's OEM dimmer wire that would be nice.

Overall, I'm very happy. Never had better sound on a road trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for the bluetooth, it is a good replacement to my stock stero, January 9, 2014
Alexander M. (North York, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this car stereo because I wanted bluetooth in my car (Toyota Matrix). I had a Motorola Roadster and that was not that great. I figured a constantly powered bluetooth unit would be good.

This unit came with a microphone, which is a good thing. I pulled the wire through and it comes out to the side of the driver side visor. I have the microphone clipped on there - on the visor.

Testing out the bluetooth, the sound quality is quite good on the receiving side. In the car, the audio comes out of the car speakers, so there is no problem there.

Overall, for what I bought it for, i.e. Bluetooth, it works great.

As a stereo unit, I would say this is what I would expect. It has a lot of "features" with it, but honestly, I think those are mostly bells and whistles that does not add to the performance of the unit.

Bluetooth audio from my cell phone (Galaxy S3) played without incident. Quick and simple, just connect the phone and select BT Audio as the source. Done.

CD Audio and Radio is simple. I don't have to review these I think. This is such old technology now that they just work.

USB playback had a hiccup. I have a 16GB USB key that I loaded up with MP3s. I used Windows Media Player to sync the MP3s onto the USB key. This automatically created the folder structure on the USB key. In total, I started off with a total of about 570 MP3s within about 530 folders.

What I found was that some folders were not readable. It would report that there are no files to play within some folders.

At first I thought this meant that the player had a maximum number of files and / or folders that it could read from USB. To test this out, I deleted the folder structure on the USB key and manually copied the same folder structure back to the USB key, but a smaller chunk at a time to see if I can find the threshold.

In the end, I copied all the files back to the USB key in the same folder structure I had before and now everything is readable. I do not know why this is the case, but something funny may have happened when I used the "sync" function to copy the files in.

The panel lights need to be selected to your taste. Some colours are too bright for night time and some are too dark for day time driving. I would suggest picking one colour that works for all hours of the day and leaving it. That way, at least you can read the panel / display.

One final note about the display is that the plastic is actually quite polished. That means that it reflects the sun quite nicely. This makes it near impossible to read the screen when the sun is in the right location to shine against the display.

Overall, this unit works and is good for the bluetooth feature that I got it for. It plays my MP3s from USB, CD, radio and even BT audio from my phone. My only complaints are more cosmetic and aesthetic.

EDIT:
I did some further testing of the USB problem and I believe this unit has an upper limit of around 500 folders on the USB device before it starts to fail at reading the directories. I drop the number of folders (by lumping the MP3 files together in a folder) and now everthing is playing properly and can be found - consistently.

It is of course more difficult to "search" for a specific song, as the only way I can see to pick a song is by browsing the folder structure. I had so many folders because I separated the files by artist and albumn. Now I am only doing alphabetical (A - Z).

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of the best head units I've owned., April 24, 2014
I have had this for about 3 or 4 weeks now and I'm very happy with my purchase. I have owned about 7 or 8 different stereos since I started driving 12 years ago. But I've only owned 2 brands pioneer and JVC. I liked the JVC but I have always been a huge fan of pioneer head units. I've never had any issues with them at all. And this 1 is just as good as the others I've owned.

It took about 20 mins to install. I love the option to change the button colors and the text colors. Some of the text colors were hard to see in the sun so I have the text set to green and the display is set to always Change colors. Which everyone who sees it comments on how cool it is. The menu and everything is very simple to navigate. The blue tooth is awesome. That's 1 of the reasons I picked this model. I have no complaints at all. But I will say I wish the equalizer had the simple bass and treble options. Instead of changing every HZ. I don't understand that stuff at all. And there's only about 4 different presets. Luckily I can just stick with 1 of those. But if you have a sub woofer it has lots of options to make it sound great. And tons of audio options. It has enough for the picky folks and isn't too much to scare off the basic listener's. And last it has enough power that it makes my factory speakers sound like an aftermarket sound system. I'm totally impressed and 100% happy with my purchase. And have already and will continue to recommend this and pioneer products in general. (SO SORRY FOR THE LONG PARAGRAPHS, I'M USING A Phone)

2.0 out of 5 stars Display is frustrating, December 28, 2013
It's a beautiful unit overall but the display is frustrating. I can't see a thing during the day and at night it looks like a lighthouse on my dash. It's very distracting to drive with the light in my face. It was a gift from my husband and I'm embarrassed to return it but OH MY GOD this is annoying. Does Pioneer test these things in actually cars? I've toggled through every menu and made a few adjustments, I've read the manual and found nothing to guide me through fixing this. I can't believe Pioneer built such a robust product with wonderful features (Bluetooth & hands-free phone are awesome) and they didn't get the basic display to work? Surely I must be mistaken? Please someone correct me and tell me how obvious this simple fix is! If you are considering this unit, I suggest not buying it. The horrible display will render it useless during the day. Sorry Pioneer.

5.0 out of 5 stars iphone 5 user, August 28, 2013
Amazon Shopper (MD United States) - See all my reviews
Just installed it in my teenager son's car. Push a button to activate voice recognition and ask Siri to do stuff. No more looking for a number to call. Just say "call John Doe" and it does the rest. Very cool for iPhone users.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm back, January 7, 2014
Pioneer has always been a great product. I got away from it on the advice of others and bought Sony but I'm sorry but Sony just doesn't hold up like pioneer so I'm baaaaaack!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this deck, September 12, 2014
I love this deck, that's it. I really like the Bluetooth feature. I really like not having to hold my phone anymore which is great. The Pandora function it really why I bought it though, and works great, I no longer have to unlock my phone in order to skip a song or thumbs up.

Hands down the best deck for the money I'm so glad I bought it.

To the people who say it's super hard to see during the day, have never owned a aftermarket deck, they all are really like this. I find no problem seeing it, and at night i dont find it super insanely bright like people make it sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value and Features, November 19, 2013
You get a lot of receiver for the price. Bluetooth audio works well with my iPhone 4S, haven't gotten a call yet so I can't comment on the mic. Works with Siri. I routed the included microphone wire under my dash, along the A pillar and up to my sun visor (2002 Grand Prix). The display can be hard to read when its bright out, but if you pick white as your text color its visible. 2 line display is a great benefit so the clock can always be on in the bottom line and artist info is on the top line. I'll be pairing these with JBL speakers in the next couple days, and hope for some better sound. Instruction manual does have small print, but I didn't have a problem reading it. Don't forget your install kit.

Update. I dropped my rating to 4 stars due to issues with audiobooks on usb drives. The receiver doesn't start the book at the same position you left off, it seems like it skips ahead a few minutes. Also when I fast forward to find a certain spot, it doesn't go any faster than double time. So seeking halfway into a 6 hour track would take a very long time. I went back to using SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) through the aux input.

It would also be nice if you could set the high pass filter at different levels for the front and rear speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm pleased, May 7, 2014
Great buy. I'm loving it daily. Thanks a mail. I can surely recommend this product any day. It works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price For Everything This Receiver Comes with, March 25, 2014
I have been using this receiver for about a week now. I am honestly pretty impressed with its capabilities compared to my old Sony receiver. The only thing I don't like about it is that this receiver is not very user friendly. I had to toy around with audio adjustments for maybe over an hour to finally get it to where I like it. If you know what all the audio adjustments mean, then that shouldn't be a problem for you. It's very easy to increase the bass, but adjusting the highs was my issue. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, so I didn't want to overwhelm the bass to where I couldn't hear the vocals or guitar.

This is definitely a great upgrade. The Bluetooth works great! I like it so much better than the pain in the butt auxiliary cable. It was very easy to set-up the Bluetooth. Now every time I turn on my truck, it automatically connects to my phone if the Bluetooth is on, and my music will start playing even without touching my phone (Galaxy SIII). The only thing I don't like about that, though, is that the song will start over from the beginning instead of playing where it left off. That makes me tempted to change the song so i don't have to hear the beginning again. Also, if you're wondering how far the Bluetooth reaches from the receiver before it starts not wanting to read your phone, I calculated it to be about 5-6 feet from the receiver.

The light effect is pretty cool as well if you're also wondering. You can keep the lights one color of your choice, or you can have it scan through all of the colors for a light-changing effect while you're driving. Or you can also make the lights change color quickly if you're really in a party mode!

Overall; Great product. I have now officially made myself a Pioneer fan. Any of my future vehicles, or friends' vehicles will now be recommended Pioneer product. I hope this review helps, because it would have helped me in my decision to decide on this thing before I spent an hour researching it.