Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 8, 2009
I recently purchased an Ultrasharp display from Dell and accessorized it with a sound bar as I did previously with two other Ultrasharps. The sound bar from Dell was different than the past ones. Apparently Dell replaced their silver-faced AS501 with a new black-faced AX510. Although the specifications are the same, the sound from the new AX510 is harsh and lacks bass. Laptop speakers sound better!

If you're mixing the next Dark Side of the Moon, or need your ears to bleed while fragging imps, the AS501 probably isn't for you. If you're looking for reasonable sound and reduced desk clutter, the AS501 is worth considering.

The AS501 has other design features worth mentioning:

- It has earphone jacks on the left side which are easy to access and have the added benefit of keeping the headphone cable away from the keyboard and (right hand) mouse. Plugging in earphones cuts the sound to the speakers for private listening.

- When plugged into a Dell Ultrasharp display, the AS501 turns off when the monitor goes into standby mode saving even more power. Newer Ultrasharp monitors can bypass this feature via the display's menu.

Until I hear that Dell has improved the sound of the sound bars they sell, I'll be buying AS501s from the sellers here.
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2009
Given the limitations of its size, this is a great unit which doesn't take up any additional desktop space. I like the simple rotary on/off switch and volume control adjustment on the unit, which allows me to shut the unit off or adjust the volume without resetting the volume control sliders on the computer. Sound is well balanced, voices sound natural, and music is surprisingly good at moderate sound levels. Obviously, don't expect thumping base or a wide stereo sound field. A steal at this price.
on August 26, 2015
Seller claims that this item is a "Designed soundbar can be easily attached to your Dell UltraSharp monitor. NOT! It does not fit a U2415. Sold for about $15. Return postage cost is $10. I should have done more research and the seller should be more honest.
on October 1, 2010
I purchased this in order to clear up my desk clutter and to have it go with my SWP2280 Dell Monitor. The current ones that Dell sells are black and since my monitor is silver it looks a lot better.

Also, the 10 Watt's provide great sound for movies, music and games - its not designed if your a professional DJ, but for the rest it works great.

Overall, its a great value for the money spent, works great and looks wonderful as well!
on October 13, 2012
My primary concern about this item was if it would fit my computer properly.
With the help of other reviewers here I was able determine the AS501 had the same "fit" as the black AX510.
I can't testify to a difference in sound quality between the two. I never owned the AX510.
For those that are researching this part, if you see "PA" at the end of either these model numbers that simply means Power Adapter. My Dell monitor had a built in jack that powers this device, so I had no need for the
power adapter.

This sound bar has a rotary volume control with turn off switch built-in on the right side. However, it will power itself up depending upon the power status of your monitor, this is convenient & saves energy. It has a blue led light right in the middle of it that stays on when your screen is not in a sleep mode. When the monitor goes into sleep mode it turns itself off. I'm not sure of the behavior of the led if you're using an independent power adapter.

The sound quality is exactly what I expected out of two very small speakers. It's not very dynamic & lacks bass. The nice part of this piece is that it fits very naturally on the bottom of the monitor and uses up no additional desktop space. The audio is fine for listening to speech or music, it doesn't sound distorted even at higher volume levels. It also has two headphone jacks on the left side of the bar.
All in all it's a very functional add-on & I'm glad I bought it.
on September 18, 2012
Just received the sound bar and installation was easy. It has decent sound for what it is, a small speaker. If you want great sound, this is wrong product. I clips right onto the bottom of the monitor (but you better make sure you have the correct Dell monitor for this speaker) so it is office the desktop.

I have one question for the designers. The monitor has 4 powered USB ports. Why did you design a product that required the AC/DC converter and speaker cable rather than have it plug into the USB port that is 2 inches away? Also, that blue light did not have to be so bright. It is dead on center and really annoying. If you had placed the light 6 inches to the side, the grill would have blocked the direct light. Just give me the knowledge to know that it is on and don't blind me with the fact. I am about to go to my workbench for a piece of tape to cover the light

For these two design annoyances, the product losses 1 star. However, if you have the right monitor and want to free up deskspace, go for it.
review image
on November 14, 2015
This has better sound quality than the sound bar Dell makes for their P2715Q 4K monitor and is a bargain to boot. The volume control knob on the side is very handy and plugging this into your computer preserves the volume control found on your desktop.

To make it work with this TV I painted it black to make it blend in with the black bezel of the monitor, mounted the sound bar under the monitor with strong double sided 3M tape, put a piece of black tape over the very bright center indicator light, and routed the green input plug to the green sound output jack on the back of the computer (not into the 4K Dell monitor - will not work that way).

This sound bar needs a 12 volt DC supply to power it up. This is probably why it sounds better than the USB 5VDC, Dell recommended, sound bar. But you will need to round one up a 12VDC "wall wort with a female end connector. Alternately, if you have a soldering iron, you can splice the wall wort cable permanently to the sound bar 12VDC input cable, paying attention to polarity.

If you own a late model Dell 4K monitor and this all sounds too complicated DO NOT buy this very nice sounding sound bar.
on September 5, 2015
This sound bar has worked great now for over a year. It is a plug and play fit on my Dell 2412 Monitor, which is also fabulous. The on-off volume control on the right hand side is handy as I keep my sound off most of the time. I finally have some of my desk space back by having the speaker attached to the bottom of the elevated monitor, and no power cord required for the speaker as it gets it's power from the computer. No, this is not an audiophile quality soun bar, but it is dead solid perfect for me.
on December 2, 2011
I am never someone who actually takes the time to write reviews even though I must buy a few things on Amazon everyday. For the price of this speaker, the sound is great. No, it is not bose. I was expecting something just to make noise, so I could listen to ESPN.com, but this speaker actually packs so great highs and lows. I'm not much of a dell fan at all, but well done dell. This is one tiny speaker that packs a great punch for the price. Fits underneath my dual monitors perfectly!
on December 5, 2015
Be aware, this soundbar does not connect to the newest Dell Ultrasharp monitor U2415, even though the title in description says its for "Ultrasharp" monitors. The newest monitor does not have the correct connection tabs for this soundbar. If anyone knows if Dell has a newer soundbar that fits, I would like to know. I had to return the AS501 sound bar.