4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful addition with the power you need!
Published on September 1, 2000 by M.B.

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointed buyer!
I bought this drill press, and used it about 3 months before getting rid of it and buying a Jet.
Delta products have declined in quality over the past few years (Unisaw excepted), and this drill press is an example of why. It is cheaply made (made in China by the way), from the plastic belt cover to poor mounting design for the motor. Bolt and screw heads are the...
Published on March 2, 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful addition with the power you need!, September 1, 2000
M.B. (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA 11-990 12-Inch Bench Drill Press (Tools & Home Improvement)
Just got this one for home and have already used put it to good use. So far, I've drilled holes ranging from 0.025" up to 1" and have loved the ease by which you can make adjustments. Table height is easy to set (wish they'd move that locking lever a little away from the shaft so that big hands can rotate it). Belts are easy to change around. Drill depth is easy to set (although the scale is confusing at first). Smooth feed with good drawback. Nice startup, and a quiet hum. The thing was also easy to put together. The chuck is not the best (not fully concentric or something, doesn't grab drill bits as tight as it should) and I will probably replace it at some point. And like all drill presses,(listen up Human Interface guys at Delta), this one lacks a place to handily keep the chuck key!!! Once out of the box, I immediately drilled a hole in the plastic cover and affixed a make-shift chuck-key holder. Also...the safety key (for the power switch) should have a home on the device (which it does not). Regardless....a fine, fine tool, well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - Hard to believe it's only a benchtop tool, September 21, 2000
gmeyer (Beavercreek, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I spent some time and did a lot of comparing before buying this tool. Glad I did. Didn't want to spend the big bucks for a floor model so I settled on this model. It's pretty large for a benchtop tool but I built a stand for it that places it at the right height. Especially liked the rotating depth stop gauge instead of the screw down stops found on other cheaper bench top models. Speeds are easy to change and I love the nice sized swivel worktable. Even though it's a benchtop tool, it accepts the accessories the bigger ones do such as the mortise attachment. I built a larger, custom work surface and fence and now leave those on permanently. Forms an awesome work surface. Finally, as expected, the Delta quality and reliability has been perfect. Had it for about five years and definitely would recommend it to anyone without question.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Drill Press, February 3, 2001
"foolfortools" (Pomeroy, Washington USA) - See all my reviews
I'm getting exactly the performance from this tool as I expected. If you want a compact unit, this will do. If you need something with larger capacity, better get something bigger. Speed adjustment is very easy. The chuck is a bit sticky and I broke teeth off the chuck key right away. Maybe it was my fault, but I've used drill presses for years and never had this happen. I started using the other side of the key after this happened, and SNAP! it happened again. I'll get a quality key. BE CAREFUL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Quality Tool From Delta, February 22, 2001
I have been very pleased with my Delta 12" Bench Drill Press. All things considered: price, quality, warranty, ease of use and value---this is a GREAT BUY! There are (3) ways to mount this tool: bolt it to a bench-top; mount it on the optional universal stand (Delta model 50-330, which will adapt to a mobile base also) or keep it portable, by mounting it to a 16x20" piece of 3/4-inch plywood, the minimum the factory recommends. It IS pretty heavy (80 lbs.) for a "bench-top" model, but it's also designed to be rugged. So don't be afraid to lug it around.
The features, like adjustable depth stop, tilting work table, auto return after boring, etc., you would expect to find on a more expensive, bigger floor model, and are a pleasant surprise to get at this price. The speeds are pretty easy to change, with a chart built into the motor lid, showing types of material and recommended speeds. Delta's directions for using and assembling this tool are clear and correct, too---a big plus for me, since this is the first and only drill press I've owned.
The only curious thing about this was the factory-listed accessory vise, which Amazon included when I purchased mine. The instructions show it mounting up fine to the work tsble, with the slots provided mating the diagonal slots in the table...only trouble is, THIS drill press has PARALLEL slots, not DIAGONAL! ...And they're spaced a good two inches WIDER than the ones on the vise!! You can still use the vise okay with a pair of clamps, but you have to wonder what the designer was smoking when THIS one was drawn up....
Still, this drill press works like bigger, more expensive ones, and it's a terrific bargain for a weekend handyman like me!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok as far as a benchtop goes, January 8, 2001
The Delta 12" drill press is OK for a bench top model. I was disappointed in the chuck as it tends to stick and requires using the key at all times rather than just for final tightening. Also I believe I would rather have had the 5/8" chuck that comes on the 16" floor model more than the 1/2" chuck supplied with the 12". For the extra hundred and fifty (approx) bucks I should have bought the larger floor model and got better capacity, longer quill stroke, larger and more stable table for mounting fences and jigs, etc.
In the 12" presses defense, it was and is the nicest of the benchtop models I have seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delta 11-990 12" Bench Drill Press, January 23, 2004
By A Customer
I purchased the Delta 11-990 drill press for small commercial shop use about two months ago because of very limited space and previous experience with a similar model. The newer model DP300 was temporarily out of stock and the distributor was offering a discount on the 11-990 because technically this model is two years old, even though both have exactly the same specifications. They are the low priced "Shopmaster" grade, manufactured in China, supposedly at Delta owned facilities. The drill press came with a tool tray and magnetic mount worklight. The tool tray was unnecessary for me, so it went in the recycle bin to be reincarnated. The worklight is much more useful when stuck to a 4-11/16" square junction box cover and hung from a hook on the pegboard at the edge of the workbench than on the drill press itself. I have this drill press mounted to a mobile base I made from a Makita 2703XL table saw stand, 3/4" plywood and 2" locking swivel casters. This works great because it gives the proper height and stability for safe operation and it doesn't take up valuable bench space.
The 11-990 was easy to assemble and even came with the bolts to mount it to a stand. The thick oily coating on the parts wiped off cleanly with a rag dipped in regular paint thinner.
I cleaned the spindle and chuck taper bore with acetone before mounting the fully opened chuck with a wood block and mallet and have had no problem with the chuck falling off while in use. The chuck is not a Jacobs or other name brand but the geared collar turns easily by hand without binding for initial bit insertion before tightening with the key. Runout is minimal and I have had no problem with bits slipping in the chuck jaws after tightening.
The drill press runs smoothly and quietly with no vibration or spindle chatter. The motor is a 1/3HP, 1720 RPM, capacitor start.
Delta says the maximum hole size in steel with an HSS bit is 3/8" but I have used it on several occasions to drill 1/2" holes in 3/8" thick mild steel plate in low speed [620 RPM] without stalling or any sign of motor overheating. It has also been used with a 1-1/2" spade bit to bore holes in 2X and a 3-1/2" hole saw in 1X and 3/4" plywood. Changing the five belt positions is simple and only requires loosening one thumbscrew. The speed range is 620-3100 RPM.
The table swivels 360-degrees and tilts somewhat easily by removing the locking pin and loosening a 3/4" hex bolt. Rockler sells a ratcheting handle for about five dollars that supposedly fits this table and replaces the bolt, eliminating the need for a 3/4" socket wrench. I think I will probably try it.
The 4" Delta 20-622 vise is also a nice accessory if you drill metal frequently. I have it permanently mounted to the table with 1/2" bolts at a slight angle to the chuck.
Overall, I feel the 11-990 is a good value. For less than two hundred dollars, it seems surprisingly well made and should be able to meet the demands of most small shop or home use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money, September 16, 2001
S. Olsen "Sliver Picker" (Washington United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this machine about 3 months ago...I have used the drill press for making holes as well as sanding with various size drums on many types of wood. The machine has worked very well on all occasions and I am very pleaased with its operations.
The only two draw backs are 1.) the need to use the chuck to get the bit either tightened or loosened from start to finish, can't use my hand to get most of the way there and do the final tightening with the chuck and 2.) the finish isn't very good. I know the finish does not affect the overall performance, but sends a negative message about the factory's pride in workmanship.
All said, I would buy this machine again as I think its cost and performance match up well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect benchtop drillpress, December 27, 2000
John Young (Easton, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This drill press is great. Easy to put together, easy to change speeds, easy (sort of) to carry around. It looks and acts just like a floor model. There is plenty of room with the table all the way down for 99% of drilling I do. Overall great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Benchtop Drillpress, February 8, 2000
Bought it 2 years ago and works great. Runs smooth and quiet. Speed changes are very easy. Table is a little small. I built a bigger table to sit on top of the factory one. Works great for drum sanding. Depth stop seems a little flimsy. Sometimes hard to get the depth stop to lock at the depth I want. Overall it is a good drillpress

5.0 out of 5 stars Delta Does it again, February 17, 2001
Great, inexpensive machine! Easy to set up (It is HEAVY) Once again, Delta makes set up simple and easy to follow. This one comes covered in heavy oil, so a clean up rag is a good idea while setting up. I also wore latex gloves to prevent my hands from getting greasy and slipping. Functionally this is a superb machine, easy to change speeds, excellent directions, perfect and flawless functionality. For a benchtop model, this is the best. At the best price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›