Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on November 9, 2003
Please note in my update below that I have raise my rating to 3 stars.
----

This isn't so much a tool as it is a way to spend an afternoon getting frustrated. I really wanted it to work out as it's the perfect size for my tiny shop, alas it was not to be.

On the plus side, it seems to have plenty of power for a small unit. It also seems to face-joint okay, which is nice.

And then there is the vertical fence, what a piece of junk! Between having a rather high coefficient of friction, even when waxed, being slightly warped from one end to the other and its greatest downfall, the pathetic mounting system, I have yet to get one square edge.
The plastic-headed bolt that attempts to tighten the fence stripped out within a few days. Even when I actually got it tight, I could still alter the angle of the fence slightly without too much pressure pushing against the base of it.

The results I've had are not worth $200. Maybe $100 as a face jointer. I can still combine this with my router table to get the job done, but I'll be in the market for a real jointer as soon as I can make the space!

Save your money and get a better unit. Delta has a full sized one for $300 and it has to be better than this!

UPDATE to my review:
I have fixed this unit's two major shortcomings. First I replaced the useless swiveling fence mount with a solid and supportive piece of MDF. Now it holds 90 degrees. I don't miss the ability to bevel the fence, but if I had to, I could stick the factory mount back on.
Second, I covered the face of the fence with low friction tape. Now wood can smoothly slide through without binding.
In it's current state, I'd probably give it 4 stars as it works as it should, but because I had to do those things myself, I'll go with 3.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2006
Okay, I purchased this tool from somewhere else and was looking for the DC connector when I read the reviews here. My feeling after reading the ones on the main page of the tool is that this must be a different jointer, so I checked, nope same one. Which leaves one other conclusion, the people who have reviewed it so poorly must not be using correct technique when they use the machine.

I have had this tool for about 3 years and have had no problems. I regularly edge joint boards up to 6 foot in length with no problem. It has plenty of power to joint 4 inch thick padauk, and the fence while alittle quirksome, holds true to whatever angle I set it.

Like I said, the only thing I can come up with is that the reviewers either don't actually own the machine, are applying too much preasure at the top of the fence (pressure should be applied at the middle to bottom of any fence)and must be allowing the board to tip as they joint (once you have about a foot of board on the outfeed side, all downward pressure should be on that table).

Again, not the best tool. Not expected to be. Will I eventually upgrade? yeah, but not a priority in my shop. It works for me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Spend the extra money and by a good (free-standing) Jointer (You're going to eventually, once you realize how useless this product is on anything but the smallest scale project). I built a couple of small end tables with this jointer, but when I went to put a straight edge on some longer lumber I am using for a desktop, I was not able to effectively do it (I eventually rigged-up my router table to do it). It is mainly 'cause the outfeed table is so short.
Also, there is no way to effectively hook up a dust collection device to this. I ended up using a magnetic dust chute, but it's still not very effective.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 17, 2006
I researched this purchase for a long time and finally decided that I would get this machine, even though there were so many negative reviews. Well, I am not a negative reviewer, but I returned the machine and got a Ridgid JP0610 from HD. The Delta machine I received was just as described in the reviews on this page, so before purchasing this jointer determine what are your needs. Small projects (boards <24") or small shop then you may need to get this machine, but be forwarned because the distance apart b/t the Ridgid machine I just bought and this Delta machine is measured in light years. Now I'm not selling the Ridgid machine, but for $150 more you will get a tool that is worth 10x that compared to this little machine. The Delta fence is pathetic, and the table to is very small, but I got it setup in 30minutes and had it finishing boards right away. Good finish, but when I tried a few longer boards it was much more difficult to manuver. Just not a good long term purchase for what I need it to do. So, figure out what type of work you will be doing and then make your decision, but if you have the room spend the $150 more!!! It is a no brainer!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm on my second Delta jointer planer. The first planer was delivered with a bent in-feed table. The table was bent one half an inch down at the end of the table and had a large chip in the table top. It looked so bad I just look at it and shook my head in disbelief. I sent it back, then I re-ordered. The second jointer came with two cracked tables plus a dent in the edge of the out-feed table. Both tables had a dip in the center of over 24000 of an inch plus some nicks in the top's. It was useless to me. If you pay your hard earned money for a tool and that tool does not do the job it was intended to do then it's junk and not worth the money you paid. I was really wanting this to be a good jointer because it was just the right size for my shop and was not that heavy. I guess you just can't beat Cast Iron.

Don't waste you time on this Cheap Delta unit. Everyone that gave this unit a bad report was right. I should of listened.
on March 3, 2004
I have to admit - I was very apprehensive about buying this jointer after reading all the negative reviews. But - I think this is one of the best equipment purchases I made in terms of price/performance ratio. I've used floor models, and they are better, but this unit really does the same thing if you use proper technique. As an added bonus, this unit is light and portable, so there's no need to give up floor space for permanently setting up the jointer. I get it out, use it, and put it away as-needed. Great for the small shop.
The motor is powerful despite the jointer's diminutive size. I've had no problems face jointing rough-cut white oak, and even ran some "case hardened" white oak through it and it face jointed the wood without a hitch. The knives stay sharp a long time, and are easy to resharpen if you make a jig to hold them at a 41 degree angle and use wet or dry type sandpaper (I start with 600 grit, and work up to 1500). New knives are cheap if you want to go that route.
A few negatives:
* As noted in another review, the table is aluminum and is prone
to scratching.
* The setup can be frustrating, and takes some time. I have a
heck of a time setting the fence at a bevel angle because the
angle shifts every time you tighten down the fence. I recommend
this jointer for 90 degree cuts only because the fence is so
difficult to adjust.
* This unit does not attach to a dust control system as-is; you
must buy the 4" dust control shroud (@ about $30) to hook it up
to your dust control system. But - I am pleased to note that the
shroud is made of heavy gauge steel and works perfectly.
* Be sure to adjust the knives before using it; mine were out of
adjustment out-of-the-box.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this jointer again. Maybe someday I'll want to move up to a floor-model. When I do, I figure I can sell this jointer for at least a $100 and recoup half of the purchase price.
on December 1, 2002
I would recommend this machine for the average woodworker. It fits great under the bench, when not in use, and I have used it to joint hard wood like oak and hard maple. It was easy to adjust the fence and knives.
on November 21, 2004
Let me say up front I also own a 8" Craftsman Professional joiner, have had it for a couple years now. I bought this little delta to joint and flatten small pieces (under 16"). My large joiner is on wheels and stored in the back of the shop. Kind of a pain to wheel it out, hook up dust collection, etc for just a couple of passes on small pieces I am using for jewelry box's. This one sits on the bench, against the wall, and takes a couple of seconds to have up and running. This is a cheap machine, not meant for any kind of production work. I bought this joiner in a pawn shop for a lot less than advertised here. Didn't appear to have ever been used. It took a little work to get it set up square, but I don't change the settings so it has stayed where I originally set it. It does a good job of removing cup and putting a finished edge on small boards. Since that is all I bought it for, I am fairly satisfied. I don't think I would buy one if I had to pay full retail for it
on August 3, 2007
After much consternation and review I bought a Delta Bench top Jointer. I read the many reviews which most were negative. However, my needs were for a small jointer which I could easily move as I have a very small work space, so I decided to take the plunge. My observations follow:

Fence: The reviewers were correct the fence is poorly engineered. However, mine was flat and straight. Setting the fence square the table took about 20 minutes most of which was spent getting acquainted. I was able to get it square by setting the fence on the table, tightening the fence bracket somewhat and finishing with the adjustment screw and then tighten the fence bracket fully. My fence is square to the table. I will never use the tilt option. It is easier to use the table saw for this type of cut.

Table: Using a straight edge I could not find any uneven spots on the table. It appears to be flat enough for my use and standards.

Chip and Dust Chute: There were many comments about poor chip disposal. I read one review were where the jointer was placed on the end of the work bench with a trash can directly under the chip chute. I used this idea and attached an "S" hook under the chip Chute and hanged a bucket under it. I did extend the top of the bucket by fitting a piece of cardboard to the top of the bucket. 95% of the chips fell into the bucket. There was less clean up than my vacuum assisted router table.

Cutter Head Knives: Mine were set correctly. I have not tried to move the set screws as I believe "if it is not broke don't fix it". I will worry about that when it becomes time to change the cutter knives.

Jointing and Face Planning: I was able to joint and face plane a 36" board with ease. I face planned a 5 3/4" board with no problems. I did discover that the wider the board the more speed you need. I use the 1/32 inch setting for all my jointing and face planning.

Overall I am very satisfied with the tool. If your needs are similar to my with limited space and a tool which you can move with ease, then I don't think you can't wrong with the Delta Bench Jointer. However, if you are in the Norm Abrams class of wood worker don't waste your money- buy a full size jointer.

I have since changed the blades. I was worried due to reports of how tight the bolts. I used a socket hex and rachet. The bolts were tight but came out with a little effort.
on August 31, 2005
The only good thing about the Delta JT160 is it's portability ( one star ).

It came well packed with no damage ( one star ).

The fence, sliding bracket and mounting bracket is a problem. They are simply made badly... I had a lot of trouble squaring the fence to the table. The fence bends as you push wood through it.

The knives needed ajusting. The four screws holding the knives in place were so tight I almost rounded them off unscrewing them. The quality of the knives are poor.

The infeed table ajustment is bumpy, and unreliable.

The whole unit vibrates a lot.

I ran some soft pine through it.no problems. I then ran some Teak through it. The delta really had problems with the hardwood.

To sum this up. I believe Ive wasted my money. I went for this model because of the limited space I have. I did nt buy it thinking it would give me years of good, reliable service, but even for short term use its not the solution. I wanted this to work, but unfortunately it doesnt. Lets just say, I wouldnt but it again.

I'm annoyed at Delta for the bad quality products they are banging out in China, throwing them on a boat and taking peoples hard made cash. Greed has gotten the better of them. I will have to think very carefully before buying any Delta product in the future.