Verified Purchase
UPDATE: 5-27-07 It's arrived and had some use so here's what you want to know that they don't print in the specs:

Cord Length - healthy 7 feet or about 8 feet depending on where you consider it starts (middle of underside)- If you add in the length to the distant outlet you might call it 9 feet as an extension/power strip

Runtime!

1 standard 18V dewalt pack (new) 1 Hour
2 standard 18V dewalt packs (new) 2 Hours, 10 minutes
2 XRP 18V battery packs 2 Hours, 58 minutes
Oh so close to 3 hours!

In all 3 cases, batteries had just finished charging (solid light) and
cord was unplugged. It is more efficient with 2 batteries than just one as the current on each battery is lower and thus it lasts longer. It drains them at the same time and charges them at the same time.

The lamp is just as bright on AC or DC, but starts a little faster on AC - once warmed up it runs the same on AC or DC. It does automatically switch from AC to DC source if you have at least one battery in it - which is really nice when someone on the jobsite unplugs your power cord or turns off the generator while you are using the light. You'll hear it click and the light will flicker to let you know it switched and AC is gone now. That feature alone is worth the difference in a dual charger and the light+dual charger+extension cord/GFCI

Worst case power draw (charging 2 XRP batts + running light) is about 1.5 amps @ 110 volts - the chargers draw much more than the light does. The nameplate specs 13.5 amps - my guess is that is the 1.5 amps for the chargers+light and 12 amps for anything you plug into the 3 outlets (2 on one side, one on the other) to get 13.5. The cord is heavy enough to handle anything on a 15A outlet.

Finally - the charger hold down clamps are not miracle workers - they keep the batteries in the charger most of the time but don't go swinging it into the truck bed or the clamps will release the batteries at the peak of your swing causing the two batteries to become airborne. On the other hand, you can pull a battery out with just one hand. Some might want more spring tension if you carry it around alot - thats personal preference.

Now the remainder of the review you can skip - it's shipping today - it's in stock - rumors of October, June, etc ship dates are not true, price has stabilized - I'd imagine the backlog is fullfilled - go buy it & enjoy it now that it is alive and shipping.

(review continues from amazon's 3rd "do you still want this" email quoting October 2007 ship date)

Now this is the perfect piece if you are a dewalt 18 volt user - charges 2 batteries at the same time, gives you 3 outlets w/ that all important gfci feature, probably has an extension cord but not sure how long - nice cord wrap, and a light that runs on AC or DC batteries. What more could you ask for? Shipping?

I ordered mine March 2 2007 and have responded "YES" keep it comming every time amazon asks if I still want it. I got a date now of Oct 8 2007(aparently firm) - I checked with other suppliers who say "in stock" only to find out it's "temporarily OUT OF STOCK" so amazon is not alone in this problem. That's when I wrote to dewalt on their website and asked them what is going on with the DC022 - great idea - poor dealer support.

If you have one of these, please tell us what date and YEAR you got it. I'd like to meet someone who owns one of these babies. So far it hasn't been seen in a tool store around my house. I saw it at a tradeshow early on.

*IF* dewalt responds to me, I'll follow up with an update here.

**UPDATE**

Dewalt did call me back and explained they have had a very high demand for the DC022. This corresponded well with stores showing it "in stock" saying it was really backordered when I tried to make an order - their inventory system was not as up to date as Amazon's.

Mine was shipped on 5/22/07 (ordered about 2 months ago) - will update when it arrives, but it's looking like the date of "october" we were all given is not comming true as they are ready to ship NOW (today) and not on backorder status any more.

5-24-07

Amazon shipped it 2-day air coast to coast and it arrived today, just in time for some weekend attic work. As for the chargers, they operate independently so when blinking don't expect both LEDs to blink at the same time, one will no doubt be faster. A friend asked about cord length - it's about 7 feet, heavy guage rated for 13.5 amps with a clip to make it stay on the wrap and a strain relief on the back of the DC022 body.

The lamp itself doesn't seem to care if it's running on AC or DC - there's a green LED in the photo I added under user submitted photos that tells you AC is hot if no batteries are charging. Other than that the one switch on the lamp head is all that you get. The lamp starts in two stages.

Everything this does is relay activated. When you plug it in you can hear a relay click setting it up to charge and run on ac. Starting the lamp clicks the start relay for about a second followed by another click as the run relay clicks in. It doesn't matter if you are AC or DC operating, the lamp still has its start/run relay set and operates the same way, comming to full output in 1 second (50% immediately while starting).

One nitpick - if the gfci is blown there is no red flag or lamp to say reset it - the only clue you have is that its plugged in and the green led is dark saying no AC present - hit the reset and things click again.
I bought the 2-pack of XRP batteries with this and plan to use it to wake up the batteries on their first 3 charges/discharges so after that I'll know what to expect in runtime. Dewalt publishes an hour, but does not qualify if that is 1 pack or 2 (likely 1 @ 18v). The runtime I get with 2 new XRP batts should be the best possible, so that's next after charging. Dewalt also doesn't tell you if it drains both batteries together or one at a time - I should be able to tell more later using a battery simulator on it.

One last note - the price dropped 4 bucks after the backlog was cleared so now's the time to buy in and join the first 1700+ owners. It looks like Dewalt delivered to Amazon early on this after some emails. No shipping and no tax means I'm not buying from my local tool dealer for dewalt with Amazon's in stock selection and buying power.
review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2008
This thing is great. I had never even seen it before. Then Dewalt sent me an email ad. I'm a trim carpenter and have all 18volt Dewalt tools. I work in alot of places that dont have lights and maybe a single outlet. This is the perfect answer, especially working late in winter. The light is bright and can be angled in many positions. Light can run off battery or outlet, charges my batteries quickly. I couldnt be happier with it.
on May 14, 2009
After 7 months of ownership, I have been very happy with this combination light/charger. I don't carry the regular charger with me anymore and I always use this instead. It charges all my DeWalt batteries quickly and the 2 charger ports work independently. The light is excellent and throws the light nicely, especially if it's bounced off a light colored wall. The 3 GFCI outlets are very handy too for other tools and appliances. I like the fact that it automatically cuts to battery power if the AC power is cut, and then automatically charges the batteries once AC power is restored. The light can be powered off a single battery or two batteries at once. It appears that the light draws power from both batteries simultaneously (if two are inserted) and doesn't deplete one battery before moving to the next. You can "hot swap" batteries while the light is running (insert a second battery, then remove the first, without interrupting the light) and the two batteries can be of different voltages.

I have used this light for interior painting, handyman work around the house, hanging shelves in closets, for working on the car in the garage, in the yard when repairing sprinklers in the dark, and I also use it on our camping trips to illuminate the area in front of our RV. It has come in very handy to say the least. And not having to worry about having AC power available in order to power the light is SO convenient. Durability seems very good. It has been banged around a lot being thrown in the truck, etc.

It is a bit on the larger side, which I expeted it to be, so if you're looking for a light to work, say, inside cabinets under a sink, this is not the light. For that, you'll want the smaller Dewalt fluorescent lamp.

While I am completely satisfied with this light/charger, if I could suggest one enhancement for the next version, it would be to include a built-in inverter so that the batteries could power the AC outlets for small tools and applicances.
on October 16, 2007
This is a great product. Lots of light, no heat, the outlets are great and batteries charge quickly.
on February 23, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought yhis when it first came out, only used a few times. It stayed in back of service van, used for job sites, the last time I went to use it the reflector behind the bulb had flaked off & the main pc control had shorted out. The cost of repair was the same cost to buy another. Expensive light, expensive lesson. I wouldn't buy it again unless it was under $50.00 Like most Dewalt tools Made in China.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2008
Verified Purchase
Bottom Line; This light is a great multi-purpose tool. Leave behind a variety of chargers, lights, and power strips, but pay the price.

I ordered mine at the end of 2007, when DeWalt was running a free 18V XRP battery offer, greatly offsetting the hefty price. I highly recommend this combination. Even DIY-er's will find having 3-batteries and this dual charger very useful. Construction is light-weight, but sturdy. Like most DeWalt products, it is rugged for its use, but don't try driving your loaded HD-pickup over it. Takes travel and scrapes like a champ, but I imagine repeated, direct impacts from dropped tools will do in the main body of the charger or light. DeWalt might have made the cage a little larger, and offered more options for mounting and carrying, but overall this is a well designed light that will last a very long time if you don't abuse it.

THE DUAL CHARGER
I am a light user (DIY; carpentry, automotive, household), but I find this to be indispensable when I require continuous use of my drill or vacuum. Having the dual charger with three batteries keeps me running continuously. Each charge port charges independently, has its own indicator and a battery "clamp" (for lack of a better term). The "clamp" will keep the battery from flying out while walking around with the light, or sliding around the bed of the truck. It won't keep batteries secure in a tumble down the stairs or throwing the whole thing in the truck bed -- but they serve their purpose without getting in the way of normal operations.

THE WORKLIGHT
The worklight is large, puts out no heat, and lots of light without being completely blinding. I agree with other reviews that the adjustability of the light is somewhat limited, but with a little creativity in placing it, you get the light where you need it without much trouble. This could be improved if DeWalt designed in a vertical stand (kickstand), ladder clamp, and/or a hanging hook - or offered them as accessories. Also, if the back plate that the light folds against were protective screen/bars, rather than a metal plate, it would offer one more useful position for the light; however the current configuration offers better storage and transport protection for the light. I find most reviewers' estimate of 2-hours of light with dual batteries seems to be accurate, as I have used this light continuously when the power was out for several hours. Having a 3rd, charged battery will get you through most any situation (if you don't need the batteries for something else). Also, the light seems to work just as well on a mostly discharged battery, for short periods of time.

THE POWER CENTER
The GFCI outlets and extension cord are handy, but I haven't used them much. The cord is 8-10 feet long, thus this is more of a "power center" than an extension cable. I would have preferred a 25' cable, or at least a cord reel for adding an extension. I suspect this was not done so that a lighter-weight cord could be used, keeping cost and weight down. Two of the three outlets are on one of the long skinny sides; the last is on the opposite side, offering good use wherever the light might be positioned.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had the impression this Fluorescent Worklight was on mini-tracks and could move around like a mini-tank with a remote wire when you can't move it by back muscle. Well, just be aware, you have to lug this SOB everywhere. Eventually a concrete slab fell on it. Totalled it just like that. Built like a horse, my [blank].
on December 30, 2008
Verified Purchase
Haven't had the light very long but I have already use it on many projects around the house. Very powerful light source but does not get hot to the touch. The light head has multiple adjustments on it which does come in handy for awkward positions. I also have multiple 18v Dewalt tools so having a dual charger built into the light makes it almost worth the buy alone. It will run about an hour with the two 18v batteries before they need to be recharged, however it seems to recharge them a little quicker than a normal charger.
One drawback that I have seen with it is the size. It is a very large light to carry around. Not heavy, but very long in length. At first I thought that it would be an issue but so far it hasn't, even in tight spaces. Because it can run off batteries and because it is very slim in design you can still maneuver it around where ever you need.
I would fully recommend this product to anyone else.
on April 29, 2008
Verified Purchase
This is a lot bigger than i thought it would be. The light output is great and came in handy painting a large ceiling, to avoid missing any areas. Wet paint really shines off this light and you can carry a wet edge through the project. Also, during a service breaker panel change over, with no power available for a time, this light also proves its worth. Charging TWO batteries at once is a PLUS as well ! If you like Dewalt, you will LOVE this work light station !!
on March 30, 2008
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a light kit and then I stumbled onto this one. I own everything Dewalt and when I found this it was perfect for my needs as an electrician. You can plug it in or run it off of the batteries. It is fluorescent so it doesn't get as hot as your regular trouble lights and its cool that you can plug other things into it and its GFCI protected. To me it was a great deal.

See 1 answered question