5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this nail gun
I am a homeowner who yearned for new base boards and crown molding.

Published on December 11, 2007 by Larry L

2.0 out of 5 stars It jams.
Published on March 14, 2011 by Roger J. Venable

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this nail gun, December 11, 2007
Larry L (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DEWALT DC628K XRP 1-1/4-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch 15-Gauge 34 Degree Angled Finish Nailer (Tools & Home Improvement)
I am a homeowner who yearned for new base boards and crown molding.

Its very powerful, and I have other Dewalt tools that use the same battery so it kept going and going. A setting of 3 or 4 (out of 10) was plenty to counter sink the nail (2 1/2 inch) into the wood molding. I have finished 2 rooms with no jams or misfires. If you are used to an air nailer it might be a bit heavier but they compensate for the weight by balancing the load nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cordless nailer, April 3, 2007
I love this cordless nailer. I've had the straight dewalt cordless nailer for the last couple of months and it works great as well but this 34 degree version seems to get in those tight places just a little bit better especially with the crown moulding. I haven't had any trouble with power or jamming with this nailer. I have used the hitachi 2 1/2 inch angled finish nails from lowes for this nailer (after trying the bostitch finish nails which wouldn't fit right), and they have worked great. I would definitely recommend this cordless nailer to others especially for the $279.00 promotional price I recieved from Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic nail gun, August 4, 2007
M. Wagner (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
We use this thing all of the time. I don't miss the door trim abrasions from air hoses at all.

Some of the carpenters complain about it not being a "real" nail gun. But for some reason, they don't want to run out the air hoses and set up the air compressor. Like my mom would say, "Some people would complain, even if they were buried in a gold coffin."

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really good nailer., February 7, 2008
I purchased a refurb model of this and have nothing but great things to say about this nailer. I've used it for quick shoe moulding repair, bathroom baseboard installation, and to flatten out cedar shingle siding that was warping before painting. Bump mode is highly functional with no lag or delay.

I Have never needed to use a depth adjustment setting higher that 3, even while using 2 1/2 inch nails into 2x4s, setting 2 will sink it all the way in.

I would change the LED light to a white color rather than yellow though.

I use hitatchi nails from lowes with no problems at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmatched!, June 11, 2009
John Egan (Avondale, LA USA) - See all my reviews
Considering cordless nailers? DeWalt has it done right! My project was crown moulding with enhancers for the entire downstairs and master bedroom upstairs; four large rooms in all. I did not want to drag cables and a compressor around or deal with the noise so I did my research and narrowed it down between this one and the Paslode. Ultimately I decided on the DeWalt because it did not require air cartridges and reviews of Paslode showed a regular tendancy to jam alot. I purchased a refurb model. I am extremely happy with the purchase and performance of the gun. I used 1.5 and 2 inch nails and also ordered those from Amazon. I probably went through 2000 nails and the gun only jammed 3 times. Removing the jammed nail was super simple and was completed in less than 20 seconds. The gun itself is a little heavy at around 8-9 lbs, but I wasn't holding it up for any extended length of time. I am extremely pleased with this gun and solidly recommend it. Your toughest challenge should be determining what gauge nail gun you need for your project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another terrific Dewalt tool, June 15, 2009
I bought this nailer in January and wanted to use it on several projects before writing the review, I have and here it is:

After years of dragging the compressor and hose up one or two flights of stairs (the compressor still rules in the shop!) I was eager to "go airless" and boy, am I glad I did. Small jobs (like 4 or 5 nails into a piece of trim) are effortless. As others have mentioned, the battery lasts a really long time (two batteries is plenty) and the power setting (to set the nail depth) is great.

After several little piece-of-cake trim jobs, it was time to challenge the 628 with oak flooring. I installed 3/4 x 5" inch solid unfinished oak in a bedroom and had to use the 628 on the first and last 3 courses (where the Portanailer wouldn't work) as well as in two closets. On a power setting of 6 (the highest) the 628 had no problem blasting through the full 3/4" oak into the plywood below and setting the nails nicely. I had about three jams (probably hit the H-clips or screws below the oak), but they were pretty easy to clear.

The fact that 628 uses the same Senco nails as my Senco nailers was a huge bonus as I have a pretty good stash of 1.5, 2, and 2.5 inch and I wasn't looking forward to purchasing and storing more.

Expensive? Maybe, but the thrill of money saved on inferior tools is forgotten long before the frustration of cheap tools is.

Another great Dewalt product!

2.0 out of 5 stars It jams., March 14, 2011
Using 2.5-inch DeWalt brand nails that are made specifically for this nail gun, the gun still jams a lot. If I set the depth adjustment on 6 (deepest) it doesn't work at all, jamming with every attempt to drive a nail. If I set the depth adjustment on 3, it jams typically after 20 nails or so -- but of course this number is variable. Sometimes it will jam for several nails in a row.

When I clear a jammed nail, there is a technique that works best. It is almost always necessary to discard, not only the nail that misfires, but also the nail next to it in the sheet of loaded nails, because that adjacent nail gets damaged by the misfire. After turning the gun off and removing the battery and then removing the sheet of loaded nails, I have learned to use two needle-nose pliers together to clear the jamming nail. With one pliers, I grasp the head of the nail adjacent to the one that jammed. With the other pliers, I grasp the head of the third nail, that is, the first nail that is not damaged. Then, by pulling on the two pliers, I tear the nail sheet so as to remove the two nails from it (the two nails removed are the jammed nail and the damaged nail next to it) and discard them. When I do this without using pliers, I find that the nail removal is often sloppy so that nail sheet is stretched and the gun jams upon the next attempt to fire it.

The nail gun is durable, compact, not too heavy considering what it is, and the duration of a battery charge is great. I have not had any problem with marring the surface being nailed.

DeWalt has excellent customer service, and they offered to exchange my nail gun for a new one. I did not make the exchange because I was able to get it to function, despite a frustrating frequency of jams, and I was pressed to complete a job I was doing. So, maybe my gun is defective -- maybe other users get fewer jams.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best tool investments I've made!, June 21, 2008
I can't add much to the good things that other folks have already said here. This is an excellent and practical tool! One thing I can vouch for is its durability. I got this nailer for Christmas back in '04, and have used it several times a week ever since(I think I may actually use it more than my drill driver...is that possible?). Often it can be working all day long. This thing hasn't skipped a beat yet! I spent much more for it back then (Yeah, I got it for MYSELF for Christmas), and I still think it was worth every penny. I know not having to carry around and set up a compressor and hose is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great nailer, but - only one battery, refurbished can be had for $199, June 13, 2008
First of all, this nail gun is great. It is very reliable, and the lighting by the business end illuminating the work (which might seems like a silly gimmick) is actually a great feature when dealing with dodgy job site lighting, crawl spaces, etc. On to the future - first you forgot the hoses and cylinders when the Paslode Impulse guns came out, but now forget dealing with the gas cartridges needed for the Impulse guns! However - having scanned the product description, it isn't made clear that this gun comes with only one battery. You need two for production carpentry without down-time, so plan on another $60 expense there unless you have other 18v DeWalt tools in play. Second of all, the re-furbished model (when available) is a great deal [...] why pay almost twice as much for a brand new tool when the major difference seems to be a few scratches on the refurbished tool. Big deal! Thirdly, be aware that the plunger is driven back into the housing with a pair of glorified rubber bands. This will usually be the first part to wear out (after several years of regular use). DeWalt will tell you that a new $69 assembly (plus about $10 shipping) is needed to get the replacement "rubber bands", a service center will often ask for $220 to solve any problem with the tool, but the "rubber band" only can be had [...] if you are willing to venture into the inner working of the tool yourself and wait a few weeks for the part. Happy finish nailing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gun, June 15, 2008
I have had this gun for over a year now. It's been great and hasn't failed me once. Oh and did I mention that I had a refurbished one? It works perfectly on anything that I have thrown at it. The first time I brought it out at my new job people didn't know what to think. Every one of them has tried it and loved it. Some were just passing the tool around and amazed that the thing would fire nails into thick molding. I guess they thought you needed air pressure to be able to do some of that. The price of this gun when bought new might keep most of them away, but I have been helping my crew mates to find deals on it so they aren't asking to use mine.

Rate and Discover Movies