Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on June 15, 2011
Once again, Amazon and DeWalt omitted key information from the item description. I bit on the daily special on this drill kit. I have several DeWalt 18V tools and thought I was getting two new batteries and an almost free drill. My old drill does not have the LED work light, which looked useful. The description said, "What's in the Box: DC725KA 18-Volt Compact Cordless Hammer Drill Kit, two 18-volt NiCad batteries, one-hour NiCad charger, and kit box."

I know that two new standard NiCad 18V batteries cost almost as much as the special price on the drill kit, so it looked like a good buy. But the kit arrived today and the batteries are the "compact" DC9099 size with black tops. The DC9099 is rated 1.7 Amp hours and has a one year warranty. These batteries are smaller and lighter (and shorter lived) than the standard batteries. The standard 18V NiCad is DC9096 with yellow top and is rated 2.4 Amp hours and has a two year warranty. Oddly enough, today's price on the batteries at Amazon is higher for the smaller battery than for the standard size. Amazon sells the smaller battery by itself, but the DeWalt website does not. DeWalt also fails to explain the battery warranty difference clearly unless you try to get a replacement for a failed battery.

The new DC9180 Lithium ion batteries are said to be superior to the NiCad batteries, though they still only have 2.4 Amp hours and a two year warranty. They certainly cost more, so I hope they last longer. I guess if I buy a DeWalt drill with the LED feature, I might as well get the new Li-Ion model.

This DC725KA is going back to Amazon, never used. I did try out the light. It worked, and is probably worth having when drilling in an unlit place.
33 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2011
This drill isn't a bad choice for a homeowner. I think someone who uses a drill on the job would probably do better with lithium batteries. The extra weight of the NiCads probably won't be a factor for me as I won't likely be using it continuously for long hours, or over my head very much. NiCad batteries will usually last a couple of years longer than lithiums if used just for homeowner projects. That is dependent on having good batteries with temp sensors and a smart charger, which this unit does have.

Evidently the memory problem with NiCad batteries isn't a problem with high load equipment like drills. And since NiCads maintain almost full power until they are depleted you would often run them all the way down anyway. They do have a higher self-discharge than lithiums, but you will usually have enough power in the first to have the second battery fully charged by the time you need it.

Pros:
Good power, as you would expect from a Dewalt. There is very good trigger control, and even when running at high speed the chuck stops instantly when you release the trigger (with a clunk).

Well made chuck. It grabbed a 1/16 drill bit and there is no wobble. A 3/8 chuck makes no sense when a 1/2 can do the job as well. You aren't limited to drills with the base turned down to 3/8. It seems to be a trend to put half inch chucks on drills that would previously have had 3/8, a trend I like.

The apparent temperature sensor in the battery and smart charger are both a pro and con. On the pro side, the batteries should last for quite a while. My last Craftsman, which didn't have that advantage, lasted less than a year before the batteries were useless.

The grip is comfortable for my hands. It is a tad nose heavy, but the balance generally seems fine.

You can leave a battery in the smart charger indefinitely as long as it is plugged in. So if you are doing a project the next day you can leave it plugged in overnight with no damage to the battery.

Cons:
The light placement is absurd. You need a bit that extends around six inches from the chuck so the light is really any good for positioning. For anything 3 1/2 inches or shorter, the light is blocked by the chuck and your target is in shadow. Unfortunately the tips of most bits and many drills I use fall into the shadow and the light is useless. Most manufacturers are putting the lights on the base to avoid that problem.

After heavy use of the first battery, don't expect it to be charged when you use up the second. It takes about 5 hours to charge a completely depleted battery, most of that time spent with the dot/dash signal that the battery is too hot to charge. That was in an air conditioned room with a battery that hadn't been under load. Outdoors or in the garage in the summer you might not have the second battery recharged that day. This is also a problem with lithium batteries, so it is just something you have to be aware of. My last drill didn't have the problem but the batteries didn't last a year either. It is a good feature to protect the battery, but it can slow you down if you have a lot of heavy load work to do.

The hammer drill might be OK for putting Tapcons into manufactured blocks, which use a fine aggregate. For aged poured concrete it is nearly useless. The instructions say to use the high speed (low torque) setting and put only enough pressure to keep the drill from jumping or it will hang up. To drill into the aged poured concrete around my house I have to use my large corded 1/2 inch hammer drill and put all my weight into it.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. Dewalt makes good equipment and I expect it to last a good bit longer than some other drills I have owned. I didn't buy it to replace my corded hammer drill. I like having a half inch chuck and the power is more than sufficient.
on September 4, 2008
I own lots of De Walt tools, but I have noticed a serious drop in their ability to produce a durable cordless drill recently. There is no doubt that De Walt have bright ideas, and their products, on paper, are very impressive, and push the boundaries of what you expect a tool can do for you. I realy like their cordless nailers (I have two!) However, this drill has some serious design flaws.

Be aware that the front torque selector, spindle, gearbox and a weighty Jacobs keyless chuck (I do like Jacobs chucks) are held inside the clamshell by...by... a plastic location ring groove in the clamshell body, that ring grips the gearbox, and which measures no more than 1/16th or 2mm in indent depth. Consequently, let your tool heat up, or use it under torquey conditions and guess what? The entire front housing loosens up. On my drill I can get the chuck housing to move an 1/8th or more (depending on how hot the plastic is) in any direction, yet the clamshell is gripped firmly and doesn't move at all! Other than this inadequet plastic groove the frameless motor had location cut outs in its magnet body to try and stabilise the front end, but since the motor is only held in place by the pressure of the screwbolts holding the clamshell shut this feature is limited in what it can achieve. Maybe i've just got a dudd, but i doubt that this drill issufficiently well engineered for the trade/contractor market, which is a shame. Let's hope De Walt realise and redesign this into a really decent bit of kit that can rival the Japanese blue tools that I will be using from now on for cordless drills.
44 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
This is a great drill that most homeowners would be very happy with. Why do you need a hammer drill vs. a regular drill? If you're planning to drill through concrete or stone, you absolutely need the hammering action. I was trying to mount some shelves on my basement wall using my regular (non-hammer) drill with some masonry bits and I was getting nowhere. The hammering feature makes all the difference. There is a selector ring that lets you choose hammer, drill, or driver mode with different torque settings. There is also a switch on top that lets you select high or low speed. The chuck can be opened and closed by hand.

There is a little LED that shines on your work when you touch the trigger. This is a great feature! Even if you're working in a fairly well lit area, this blows away the shadows and gives you a clear view of what you're drilling into.

The batteries are 1.7 Amp hours, which means they don't last as long as the bigger batteries that DeWalt sells, but they are also smaller and lighter weight. As far as I'm concerned, this is an improvement. As a homeowner, I rarely do a job that requires more than one battery, but when I do, Hey, there are two!

Very happy with this product.
on March 18, 2009
This one will last even longer. Best feature is it stands up on its battery, the LED light is great and it comes with 2 batteries. Why no photo on Amazon? I spotted it in Lowes and tracked the number back to Amazon. My only complaint is the chuck loosens up after a while. Not a big problem and will probable get better with use. I give it 5-stars
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2012
I own another 18V cordless drill/driver (different brand) and went back to a corded drill/driver because the other cordless couldn't do heavy duty work like power a 2-1/2" wood screw through a 2x4 into another 2x4 unless I predrilled holes that were always a pain to get lined up right. When someone told me that the DeWalt hammer drill/driver could do that without blinking, I had to try it. And it does! The drill, charger, and 2 batteries come in a compact case that is easy to carry to wherever I want to work. The drill has done everything I have asked it to, although to be honest I'm not a power user and it doesn't get hours of use at a time. But for my purposes, I have no criticisms at all.

And BTW, yes, I'm a woman, but I'm the power-tool buyer (and user) in my house.
on September 1, 2012
I was quite impressed on how the Drill and case was packed when I received it and put it on charge as soon as it was unpacked . Didn't get a chance to use the drill for a few weeks until my sister moved and was installing some wall mounts for two TV's. The first unit went just fine with no problems and about 3/4 of the way thru the second unit the drill started smoking and sparks were coming from the back of the drill . So much for that drill . Contacted Amazon and within one day had the return papers to send it back and they were sending me another drill kit . Worked out fine as they received the defective drill the same day as I got my new one . Haven't had a chance to use the new one yet ( one month already ) but hoping to soon . Great customer service Amazon . Roger MartinDEWALT DC759KA 18-Volt NiCad 1/2-Inch Cordless Drill/Driver Kit
I purchased this drill as a daily special and got a great price on it. I own other Dewalt products but I did not have a hammer drill. For less than $100, I got the drill, two 18 volt DC9099 NiCAD batteries, a charger stand and a nice carrying case.

The batteries in this kit cost about the same as I paid for the entire kit so it was a great buy. The batteries are not the XRP type for extended use but I own other Dewalt tools and the 18 volt batteries are interchangeable. I also like the LED light on the drill for working in tight low light conditions like inside of cabinets.

The drill has plenty of torque and the hammer feature helps drive screws or drills deep into hard wood or concrete. This is a great tool at an even better price.
on January 13, 2011
This is the most value for money cordless drill available, it will easily cost twice as much on other sites
This older model in terms of reliability would be even better than the newer drills using lithium battery.
There has been a number of reviews saying that the lithium powered drills are prone to failure.

A point to note is that the charger only comes with 110v charger hence international buyers please take note.
You can buy a 220v charger or buy a cheap power step down to be used together with the 110v charger
on April 12, 2013
This drill has a really solid feel to it. I picked it up because I needed to drill into masonry and the percussion feature is just right for breaking up and removing brick and cement. I have been very happy with its performance.

The adjustment for torque and hammer on/off are simple, as is the high and low speed feature. It makes it easy to achieve the same drill depth on screws again and again.

I agree with other posters about the drill light. Rather than having it on the battery pack (near the base), Dewalt has located it above the pistol grip. The chuck is *always* shading the drill location, so the light is of limited usefulness.