Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on June 26, 2008
I build decks for a living and this is my second 1/4 inch Dewalt Impact Driver. I didn't think I could love a tool more than my first impact driver. Was I wrong! This is absolutely the greatest tool made for people who drive a lot of screws. There is virtually no hand torque compared to using a regular drill-driver, the impact mechanism does all the work for you. Second, the small size and lightweight won't wear out your arm from a day of driving hundreds of screws. The Nano battery is so light that when I first picked one up, I thought it must be a dislay dummy battery. Dewalt claims this battery has the same work rating as the NiCad battery but it sure seems to last much longer to me. If you drive lots and lots of screws, or just want a very lightweight driver, give this tool serious consideration. Yeah it is pricey, but for dedicated screw driving it can't be beat.

Some people have complained about the shutdown feature on the Nano battery. The battery shuts down when it reaches a certain discharge level to protect it from being drained too far, which is evidently not good for a lithium battery. I happen to love this feature for a couple reasons. One, it delivers nearly full power right up to shutdown. And as I stated above, this battery seems to last much longer than my NiCad batteries. By shutting down, it makes me avoid something we all do with NiCad when they run down, using the drill like a screwdriver to drive those last couple screws before changing the battery. This practice is very hard on the driver motor. Second, I believe this feature will result in longer battery life with more charge cycles because I will be charging the battery at the same level each time. One of the reasons for premature NiCad battery failure is inconsistent charging cycles, i.e. charging it when half dead one time and completely dead the next.

As for the fit of the new battery on older tools, who cares what it looks like? I don't want Dewalt making a battery bigger and heavier just for cosmetic reasons. I am glad this new Nano battery is more compact. I use my tools daily and size matters, the smaller and lighter the better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this driver because I do a lot of volunteer work building wheelchair ramps and with Habitat. On a given day I might put in 3-500 screws, lag screws, lag bolts and tapcons. Great torque and I never strip screws. The light weight minimizes fatigue and the battery life with the lithium XRP batteries is great (with a 30 minute full recharge time). The tool is extremely tough tolerating drops, rough use and mud without a hitch. I wish it had an attached belt hook, but it is small enough to fit in one of my tool belt pouches. Wouldn't leave home without it.
on November 20, 2010
I recently purchased this new lithiom driver because, my original XP driver which is also a Dewalt,started having problems with the impacts.Sounded like it was stripping out on the inside and smelled hot no matter what battery I used.I still respect it for what I've put that thing through!The new one is working great! I've driven about 8,000 self tapping metal screws threw it,fastening plywood to steel, in 15 to 25 degree weather so far!Hasn't missed a beat!Great feel to it also!Thanks Dewalt & Amazon!
on December 21, 2008
I've been comparing this driver against the Milwaukee 2650, the Makita BTD141, the Ridged R8823, the Bosch 23618 Impactor and other drivers. All these drivers are excellent tools and I'd be happy with any of them.

To my amazement, one of the fastest drivers during my brief testing was the lightest weight driver which was the Dewalt DC827KL. This driver only weighed 2 pounds 2 ounces without a battery on my scale. And even though this driver specs out at 1,330in-lbs of torque (less than some of the other tools), it had no trouble breaking loose nuts torqued down well beyond this torque limit. And this driver is blazing FAST!

Just because a tool is rated at a given torque spec doesn't mean you'll have that much torque available at the bit or at all RPM's. The engineers behind this tool have done an incredible job of putting the torque to work to maximize its throughput because this tool out-drove all the other tools I tested it against in terms of speed.

And the battery technology behind the nano batteries from A123 systems is second to none. These nano batteries may not have the most amp hours when compared to some competing products, but amp hours don't tell the whole story. It's just a measure of capacity and doesn't tell you how much amperage can be dumped at a given instant or how long it can sustain dumping that much amperage, or how much capacity is lost after 1,000 charges or how much capacity is lost after a given period of time, etc, etc, etc. These nano-phosphate batteries from A123 systems that are used by Dewalt clearly stand above the other lithium ion chemistries currently being used by other cordless power-tool companies for several reasons including...

* They can provide much more amperage than other chemistries (Lithium Manganese, etc). When the tool needs its juice to drive hard as its being used under heavy load, these nano-phosphate batteries can supply a greater amount of sustained amperage to the components that need it where as other Lithium Ion battery chemistries such as from Moli Energy (Lithium Manganese) can't give the tool as much sustained amperage as the nano-phosphate batteries can. And this is one of the reasons why Dewalts tools work so well with these new nano-phosphate batteries.

* These nano-phosphate batteries have a much flatter self-discharge rate over time. In other words, you will not lose much capacity with these batteries compared to the batteries used by other cordless power tool companies.

* They offer a much higher cycle life when compared to the batteries used by other cordless power tool companies. If you're also a techno-geek, then look at the technical data (especially the charts) from the different battery manufactures that are being used in various cordless power tools and it will truly be an eye opening experience. These nano-phosphate batteries can be charged a heck of a lot more times than the other brands of batteries and they lose a heck of a lot less capacity over time and cycles than the other brands of lithium ion batteries. For instance, at a discharge rate of about 3 amps at 25c, the Lithium Manganese based batteries lose about 23% of their rated capacity after 300 cycles. But Dewalt's nano-phosphate based batteries from A123 systems only lose about 12% of their capacity after 1,000 cycles!

* And then there are issues regarding safety, durability, damage from overcharging, etc. And the nano-phosphate battery stands on top again as a safer battery technology in terms of storage, fire, etc, and it can withstand overcharging better than other chemistries which have been known to burst into flames due to issues with cell imbalance / overcharging.

Dewalt's nano-phosphate battery might not have as much amp hour capacity as other brands of batteries, but it sure does have some serious advantages that allows their tools to perform very well under load and with good value to the people who put these tools to serious heavy duty work on a daily basis. These new nano-phosphate batteries will bring new life to your older tools and the newer tools designed around these batteries will perform better than ever.

The DC827KL sure is a great driver, but it wouldn't be as good without the nano-phosphate battery. It would be interesting to see how Milwaukee's new 2650 or another brand of impact driver would perform with this battery technology. But Dewalt has it and it's a must have for the professional who earns his paycheck from using his tools.
on February 18, 2008
this is a great tool made better. It will out drive and drill any of my regular drills with power to spare. This new Nano tech tool is even better due to the bright light that lights up the work. I used it the other day hanging some undercab lights and the bright light made finding the mounting hole a breeze. I gave my older model to my son because I liked this one so much better. The new lithium batteries sure made the weight easier to lug around. I can't say much about how long they last but I will be replacing my old ones with these new ones as they wear out!
on February 5, 2010
I am not a contracter, but do a lot of home projects. I bought this to sister some joists in my upstairs bathroom with lag bolts. I was amazed by how much power is packed into such a small package. It fit into some really tight spots!

I opted for this model over the NiMH because of my previous experience with other Lithium Ion tools. The power curve on the battery stays pretty strong right until the very end the end and then just drops off.

I have driven T-Star lag bolts, square drive screws, and 7/16 hex bolts with this...all of them with no problems. No broken or snaped heads. I think the person that said they wished there was an adjustable torque setting was probably over driving whatever they were using.

I'm sure this tool will come in handy for many more D.I.Y. projects.
on November 23, 2008
Very compact, powerful, impact driver. The only thing about the "NANO" technology batteries is they just die...No real warning, they just stop working but that isn' much of a problem. LED light lights with a slight trigger press to aid you in seeing your work in dim locations. Drives the heck out of just about anything I have used it on from lag screws, deck screws, drywall screws, etc. Not one problem with the unit, as a matter of fact, just bought another for my father. Great little driver!
on June 26, 2011
As a relatively unhandy single woman, I was looking for something that would be powerful, easy to use, and not too heavy. The DeWalt Driver Kit has delivered on all counts.

The unit is very light weight, battery packs charge quickly, and different bits (as well as the battery) are easy to install and uninstall. In tight places, the drill's small size is an advantage, but it has all the power needed to drill screws in virtually no time at all, as well as a powerful reverse mode to remove screws.

Extension pieces allow for installation of deep set screws and bolts.

I even like the black carrying bag that comes with the kit. It's a relatively small bag, but plenty big to carry/store the drill, battery packs, the charger, and a selection of bits.
on January 6, 2012
Like the impact driver itself. Works well and drives screws like crazy. Very small,so it gets into tighter spaces then my dewalt hammer drill. Important sometimes when working space is limited. It's also quite light and comfortable to use for extended periods.

One issue however is the batteries. Well, various issues actually:

1) When they go dead, they go dead. No slow power loss like the XRP Ni-cad's that run down gradually and sort of warn you as they're about to need charging. Not a big problem, just get used to it. I'm told this is normal.

2) You MUST use the new all yellow charger to charge them. As I have 3 older chargers and an older Dewalt radio charger strategically scattered around my current worksite for convenience, it is a pain in the butt to have to go to one specific charger to charge these. The old batteries at least work in the new charger, but that only minimizes the irritation factor slightly. I really don't want to buy 2 or 3 new chargers to make life easier. It is my personal suspicion that these new batteries really shouldn't need a specific new type of charger. I think Dewalt just wants to sell more product. You can't physically fit them in the old chargers to "protect" them from damage, Dewalt says. I don't buy it.

3) Third bigger issue. I am not getting NEARLY the run time that I get from my 2, 3, 4 year old XRP Ni-cad's. I have 5 in various ages. I realize it's difficult to gauge exactly, using them on different tasks for different lengths of time, but I'm SURE they don't last as long because it's not a subtle difference. I called Dewalt customer service and asked them about it. They said something odd. They said the new lithium batteries need to be totally discharged and totally charged at least 5 times before I will start to see maximum run time with them. So, since that has not been done yet, as I have only had them a few weeks, I will re-post later to see if this seems to be the case. It sounds fishy to me, but maybe that's a quirk of these batteries. She said it is possible that they are defective and that I could take them to a local Dewalt service center to have them checked out. If so, they would be replaced free of charge. Somehow I doubt I managed to get 2 defective batteries in the same kit, but weirder things have happened. If these new lithiums simply don't last as long as the old XRP's I will be both surprised and extremely irritated, since they of course cost much more.

More later. If I don't repost in a few weeks, assume she (Dewalt rep) was right and they have a weird "break-in" period.

At this point if I had to do it over again, given all the battery negatives, I honestly would have just bought the bare tool and a two Pack of the old XRP's for $100. We'll see. Maybe the run time will increase and I'll be slightly less irritated in a few weeks.

Update; 5/22/12: Have been using the tool and batteries almost daily for 5 months. One the new XRP lithiums seems to have gotten better with the whole "discharge/recharge" 5+ times thing. It still does not last longer than any of my fairly new nicad XRPs. The second one is definitely defective. I marked it with a piece of black electrical tape to track it versus it's brother. REALLY bad run time. Still haven't gotten to the service center. Just too busy.
Second issue: the new yellow battery charger required for the new batteries doesn't like to charge a couple of my older nicad XRPs. It gives me the "replace pack" flashing light code occasionally. The batteries in question are a bit weak, but not ready for the recycle bin. I put them on my old black charger and they charge. So, go figure. Dewalt wants to sell new batteries I guess.
Third issue: the impact driver itself, which I generally love using has a slight wobble in the chuck head. Not a big deal with a standard short bit, so I didn't notice it at first, but with a long bit or an extension bit, really is a significant problem. Again, hopefully the service center will help me out.
Fourth unrelated issue: my reciprocating saw I bought last fall on amazon is staring to run badly. Slows down and speeds up at random, like it's struggling or something. Guess that will go to the center as well. Wish I had time,...and a little better luck with the recent purchases.
Word in the construction community is that dewalt has had a lot of problems with the 18 volt lithiums, so maybe this isn't a fluke. No way to prove, just heard it from a couple of people. If I could do it over I would have bought the bare tool and a two pack of old XRPs.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 4, 2010
My 18 volt Ni-Cad batteries were dying on my hammer/drill driver so I upgraded my batteries by buying the 18 volt impact driver with the Lithium batteries and new charger. Dewalts new batteries fit their older Ni-Cad tools (they look a little different on them though), which allowed me to use both my new impact and my old drill on the same batteries. The Lithium batteries are much lighter that the ni-cad ones. The impact driver is very light and powerfull. I was rebuilding my deck this summer and the impacts power and size came in very handy. It is louder than a regular drill driver. If you are using it all day, you may get a head ache. People walking by my house gave me weird looks when they heard the noise, possibly thinking I was using a broken tool, but when showed them what it did, they were impressed. I can't wait to show my dad this tool, it will probably convince him he could use an upgrade from his drill/driver. I think this tool will be harder on driver bits, because of its higher torque. Dewalt makes special bits for impacts, but I have not tried them enough to see if they were better or are just black painted versions of their regular bits, with a higher price. There is not torque limiting clutch on the impact driver, so you will have to watch how far you sink in your screws. When removing some old screws, I snapped or stripped most of them, probably because the screws were not as strong as they once had been and the impact is powerful. This tool will take a little getting used to, but I think it is well worth the money.