2,313
DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit
Price:$99.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 16, 2010
Verified Purchase
Great drill that really accomplishes anything I throw at it. I've been able to easily screw in 3" construction screws into dry fir. Great for flooring applications and really nice slow speed to make sure you're starting steady.

The two batteries that come with this kit are great. I've been able to go a full day without swapping. The only time I need to swap more often is if I'm using a 1" wood drill bit going through very dry fir beams/joists. I've been able to use an 18" long 1" wood drill bit without so much as a slowdown. Very impressive for a drill this size. It's my general use drill that I use for pretty much anything.
on August 31, 2012
It is impossible to beat the deal on this cordless drill, but be aware that this is Dewalt's entry level drill. It comes with their smaller batteries (1700mAh) compared to the larger capacity XRP batteries (2400mAh). So when people say that replacement batteries are $60 each they are referring to the larger XRP batteries. The batteries that this drill comes with are not even sold separately, or if they are not at any stores that I have seen. It also has a limited speed compared to their larger and heavier XRP drill which also has the hammerdrill capability for drilling into masonry and hard material.

It has treated me well for household jobs and carpentry jobs around the house, but it has its limits. Example: I wanted to get rid of a stump in the yard and the directions for the "stump out" required drilling 10" deep by 1/2" wide holes. The drill could not handle it. The motor started smoking. To be fair I knew this was asking a lot.

The reason I still give it 5 starts is that it finished the job with a lot of coaxing and still works despite melting something internally. Solid drill but if you want to do some heavy drilling then upgrade to the XRP model.
on November 19, 2013
This is an "old school" drill that in fact has been discontinued by Dewalt. It has a power rating of 380 which is somewhat less than the average drill (480). Battery size is 1.7AH while most Dewalt drills now have at least 2.4AH.
This drill does not have a LED work light which is standard on all drills made in the past few years. Weight is about average at 5.2 Lbs. with battery. All-in-all for 89 bucks this is still a good deal especially for the home owner market. If you think about it, the batteries alone are worth $89...so in a sense, you're getting the drill, charger and case for free.
on April 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
There is a reason why I only buy dewalt. They practically gave this drill set away. A must have for any household. great for standard projects. Bump up to the impact models if your gonna build a barn.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2012
I purchased this item for only $99 at HD. This unit includes 2 Ni-cad batteries. Why get these instead of the newer Lithium-ion? Research on the web shows that Lithium-ion batteries have a shelf life between 2-3 years. So, unlike Ni-cads, EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE THEM, they will degrade and need replacing in a couple of years. How long have they been sitting on the shelf before you buy them is anyone's guess but that is part of the battery's shelf life. Then when you do go buy new ones they cost as much as the kit did to begin with.

Perhaps if you are a professional that uses the drill all day, day after day you will be ready for a new kit every couple of years. But for the average Joe who might not use the drill for 3-4 months, you are losing battery life regardless.

Do your wallet a favor and stick with Ni-cads until the technology improves. This is an excellent drill with plenty of power. Also, Ni-cads continue to work in cold weather unlike Lithium-ions that won't.

Just my 2c.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
I just placed into retirement the first generation 18 v Dewalt hammer drill given me many, many years ago before they hit the shelves. I still could have fixed it but wanted a fresh horse. Looking forward to this lasting as long.

Update: February 24, 2014 Not a bad drill other than the fact that the clutch slips more often than expected given the previous model NEVER did on over 12 years. This means you are drilling or screwing something and the bit does not turn at all and the drill makes high pitched squeal. Also miss having the driver bits attach to the drill body. Dewalts quality control, design or choice for manufacturing is slipping as well. I'll contact Dewalt for a remedy and return with posting of that exchange.

Update: February 24, 2014 After contacting Dewalt the contact online form does not allow the request to complete for support through posting the problems to continue with the submission to Dewalt. When you go back on the web site, it constantly checks a box to get promotions and emailing for them to sell more stuff. Don't know how to get support if they don't want to hear about the problems with their products. No one likes to get bad news about what you make but how do you know what to improve?

Update: Jan 9, 2015 All the previous complaints still stand with a new one regarding the batteries. The original thick battery pack was so much better than these thinner packs that DO NOT hold a charge very long and peter out way to soon. Junk batteries if you only knew what the better battery does. It explains why they offer 2 batteries in this kit.

Update: March 30, 2015 A new undesirable problem adding to all the previous. After putting in a screw bit and tightening like we always do with all key-less chucks, bits just fall out like you didn't tighten it good enough when you lower your arm to walk around. I'm loosing bits when I don't notice they randomly fell out. If you are out on the grounds you don't hear it unless you are on a hard surface. Never had that problem with my old trusty Dewalt that was made in America.

As a commenter remarked it may be due to Black and Decker bought them out, China may be manufacturing them. Once a company makes products and has a great share in the market they sell high or sell off and who knows what happens to the products as with Dewalt. Like almost all manufacturers they do nothing until the market share is degraded from obvious issues. Then all of the sudden they are "on it", NOT!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
Update: Bought a 80 dollar Ryobi at Home Depot that is built just as well with better chuck performance. Since these 50-200 dollars drills all seem to be disposable these days I think the Ryobi is a better option for home owners even if the lithium batteries die after a year.

As others have stated and I did not believe until I received my copy, this drill is a lower quality drill. Dewalt is now producing a product line in the lower quality segment. This is not to say they don't have high-end tools, but this is not one. I am replacing a 14.4 volt dewalt I bought in a kit about six years ago for slightly more money considering it was two tools. This new drill is not comparable. The chuck on this new drill is very low quality and is difficult to install bits straight or even get it to close down on your Phillips driver without jamming. You get what you pay for and frankly I was not sure what a good 18v ni-cad drill cost these days with the Lithium drills out. I had a bad/expensive experience with Lithum batteries (they die if you don't use them regularly) so I was looking for a solid mid-range ni-cad drill. This is not mid range. I'm going to go up the dewalt food chain a bit further.

Unless you are on a hard-core budget do yourself a favor and get a little more expensive model that has a name-brand or quality chuck. My 14.4 volt drill (the old one) had a Jacob's chuck and it served me well for a long time.
on October 31, 2013
I received this drill through Amazon as a wedding gift in August, 2012. The chuck broke (one of the vises in the chuck seized up) in October, 2013. When I dropped it off for repair at an authorized service center they told me DeWalt automatically considers the chuck a wear item and I had to pay for its repair. So I got stuck with a $55 repair bill on a $99 drill after 14 months of light use. This failure to cover the chuck isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual or the item description.

Since DeWalt doesn't honor their warranty, I won't be buying any more DeWalt, Black & Decker, or Porter Cable tools (all the same company). I am saddened by this since I've bought almost all DeWalt tools and have never had a problem with any others. I have many more tools to purchase and will have to go with a different brand.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is a powerful drill compared to my old Ryobi rechargeable. I am quite happy with the performance of this tool. It plows a 3/8" bit through hardwood easily. Having it come with two batteries is a nice plus too.

I did however run in to a couple of issues.

The first thing that happened was I inadvertently switched speeds while the drill was still spinning and from then on the drive sounded different - not sure what happened. It still works fine and runs smoothly but the drive makes a slightly different sound. Though this was my doing, it does indicate to me a cheaply made gear drive mechanism.

Something else was made obvious while I was doing some precision work. I was drilling for small hinges on a cabinet and noticed that the drill bit was wobbling. I had not noticed this before when using larger bits because it isn't as obvious. As it turns out, the chuck wobbles significantly enough that I had trouble holding the tip of a 5/64" bit on center to start a hole.

I have requested a return/replacement on this drill because of the wobble. I have Googled the chuck wobble issue and found that other people have had the same problem with this drill. Unless I have more misfortune with my replacement, I will leave this review with five stars. All manufacturers have hiccups now and then - I'll give DeWalt a chance to sort this out. My advice to all is to check your chucks if you can check chucks and may all chuck checks check ok.

*** UPDATE ***
I received my replacement drill. The new one appears to be true and wobble free - as it should be. Ensuring they make a drill with a straight chuck would seem to be the most basic quality inspection on a drill. I guess they save a few yen by sending some out crooked. These are priced higher then many of the competitor's drills so they should be better quality. Since initially posting this review, I've found lately that DeWalt isn't afraid to put their name on sub standard power tools and hand tools. I purchased their screwdriver set a month ago and had to return it because they were already wearing out and two of the handles started slipping. Like many others, if it said DeWalt on the tool I automatically assumed it would be excellent quality. Not so anymore... This is unfortunate for the Dewalt name.

I deducted two stars for lack of quality control and one star for ruining the DeWalt name for me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2014
Verified Purchase
I was under the impression Dewalt was a reliable brand capable of handling a lifetimes worth or use and abuse. The brand professionals chose. Thats apparently all BS because I have gone through two of them in 3 months and I don't put it through anything that my $20 target drill that came with a generic tool box didn't handle for years. In fact what what appeared to do this p.o.s. in was drilling upward. While drilling some pilot holes in my ceiling for a couple of lag bolts the drill started squealing. I sounds like the gears inside slid out of place because now anytime I use it I get a high pitched shieking. The noise is terrible and while I could live with the sound it clearly indicates an impending failure and therefore can't be safe to use. Can't believe Dewalt sucks this hard. Never buying dewalt again! I am an electrician and will bring my drill to every job site along with my story in to enlighten all as to the quality that Dewalt is really providing. I will also contact Dewalt and if they actually rectify my issue then i will update this review but I am doubtful.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations