on October 9, 2013
Like other reviewers, I waited months for its arrival... I immediately began testing it on my walls... I was constantly getting inconsistent and downright bad readings... I tried so hard to like it and even thought I was doing something wrong... I read through the manual with a microscope to make sure I was doing everything right... But in the end, I could draw no other conclusion than this scanner is simply too unreliable for use. I really had high hopes for this product, but now its being returned... I can only hope that Dewalt realizes this problem and re-engineers the next generation...
on October 1, 2013
I purchased this device thinking that it would detect the various objects inside the wall. It does this by packaging multiple sensors in the device, a capacitive studfinder, metal detector, and a 10Ghz doppler motion detector. The software then displays the detected object on the screen depending on the sensor input. Out of curiosity on how things work I opened up the unit. I can only think that I was sent an early prototype, I've never seen so much glop and silcone rubber covering connectors and other objects in the unit. There was a kludge board with 6 blue wires added to the main board.

As a wood studfinder it is only fair, there are better dedicated studfinders available that are much more sensitive.

For metal detection, it often displayed a live copper wire as a copper pipe. Othertimes it would sometimes display the incorrect object type, ie wood stud instead of plastic or metal.

In using the unit I was getting errors to hold the device against the wall, there was a slight texture to the sheetrock paint, and perhaps that confused it.

Using the device you have to move it a controlled speed, the display just indicates too fast or too slow.

For the list price of this unit you could purchase: a studfinder, and metal detector with AC detection for much less money. The only thing the Dewalt would do for you is to detect the plastic pipe if it is within range, and it has a very nice color display.
77 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2013
The YouTube video upon which my decision to purchase this should be used to bring an action against DeWalt for false advertising. Not only did we have to wait for many months longer then their claimed release, not only is the price way higher then they claim but the thing is a piece of junk. Claims to find wood where there is none, gives a different result each time to you scan and the screen is scratched out of the box. I will do an in depth YouTube review comparing it to the Bosch D-tect 150 as I have both. a cheap stud-finder does better. I am almost convinced they have just put a random scan image in there to keep people happy that it is doing something. I cannot even use it as a paperweight as it has wheels.

Sadly cannot return as I live overseas but DeWalt will pay for this rubbish in the end as people turn away from them for producing junk.
on October 7, 2013
Pre-ordered this item many months ago and patiently waited for it to arrive. Came home today and found the scanner on my door step. Brought it inside, charged the battery, waited for the battery to charge and when it was fully charged I went to scanning the walls of a recently remodeled room. During the remodel, I took the room down to bare studs so I know what is behind every wall. It only took me one wall to realize there was a problem with the unit. The scanner was showing me that there was PVC Pipe, ferrous metal and live wires where I knew there were none. It also showed me that the studs were space approximately 5-7 inches apart instead of the 16 inches on center that they actually are. I went back and rescanned the same wall and got a completely different configuration of PVC, non-ferrous metal and live wires that again, were totally incorrect. For confirmation, I scanned an area above a window to see if the scanner detected the solid header I installed during the remodel. The unit did not detect any wood at all on three different scans. On the fourth scan it did detect a ferrous metal, which I presume is one of the hurricane clips that were used in the remodel project; however, it never detected the solid header. This unit was a complete let down and is on its way back to Amazon.
on October 22, 2013
Does not work as described. Sure the screen looks pretty cool, but it gives false positives. I scanned a wall that I was being removed. It showed pvc and metal. When the wall was removed, there was neither. Also used it to find studs when hanging some wall cabinets. It was nearly 2 inches off where the studs actually were. Ended up using my $20 stud finder which out performed this scanner hands down. Dewalt should be ashamed of themselves for selling this garbage. Thank goodness for Amazons return policy. This POS is going back.
on November 1, 2013
Was really looking forward to this one. Unfortunately it just doesn't work. Each time you scan the same section of wall, you get different results, so it's just guesswork as to what is there and what isn't. Regular scanner works much more predictably.
on October 7, 2013
Wanted this tool to work so bad, but it just isn't worth the money.

It does locate studs very well.
it doesn't locate electrical wires as described ( seems to me i seen a video review and the one thing they left out was the wiring test, maybe there was a reason for that.)

It shows PVC in places that I know there's none.

maybe they needed to spend some more time on it.

The unit i received had some scuffs on the screen also, I would have returned it just for that if I had purchased it at a Brick and motor store.

Item was returned.
on October 7, 2013
Very disappointed in this product. They are very close to having a great tool but it does not give accurate readings. I can scan the same section of wall and get different readings each time. Shows PVC pipes in place that I know there are none. I am a big Dewalt fan but this tool is not worth the money. Come on Dewalt you can do much better than this.
on October 30, 2013
I have been waiting for this gizmo to become available for months. I figured it was worth a shot, because if it worked, it would be a great thing to have around. I read all the other reviews, which were clearly unflattering, but I figured I would give it a try anyway. my first scanner was delivered a few days ago. I charged up the battery and then tried it on every wall I could find. I have pictures of the pre-drywall construction, so I know exactly what is where.

I'll start with the end of the experiment. the unit died.

in the half hour preceding the unit's untimely demise, I scanned numerous walls. the unit identified materials that were not there. the unit failed to identify materials that were there. of the materials that were detected (and actually present), the unit mis-identified most of them. to say the least, the walls in my house are not constructed using PVC and copper pipes.

since the unit died shortly thereafter, I sent it back for a replacement. the replacement arrived today. I charged it up, I scanned the same walls as with the previous unit, I achieved the same results. this would be a great tool to have around, if it worked. it does not. a friend of mine ordered one as well and ran the same tests in his house and office. same result. so, this one is going back too.

I have a large collection of dewalt tools, and I am extremely pleased with all of them. this one is a complete disappointment, and not worthy of the dewalt name. as a side comment, there is also a Bosch wall scanner available (at twice the price of the dewalt unit). bosch and dewalt are made by the same company, along with black and decker, Stanley, porter cable, and a host of others. the bosch unit has better reviews. if the dewalt unit is a descendant (or the next revision) of the Bosch unit, some serious problems have been introduced along the way. dewalt needs to get their act together and get this tool working properly.

by the way, the two units i received were made in different manufacturing runs, so it wasn't just a bad lot. i have also noticed that the display screens come through scratched and marred, and the units themselves come through with things like dust, sawdust, dirt, and other foreign materials on them.
on November 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We just had our house build two years ago, where I was present for construction and pictures of where most PVC, Beams, and Electrical wiring is going. Not to mention there are several areas where I've already had to locate studs. I tested out the Dewalt on several walls in my house, some even multiple times.

There were a few occasions, where it looked as though it finding the wooden beams and such. But then I'd go over it again and get completely different results. It would say there was something there when I knew for a fact, there was not. I kept thinking maybe user error?

But I went through the instructions with different speeds and directions. It's really fool proof to use. You just move it in one direction so it can scan, up to 9.8', and then back in the other direction to get the results on the LCD. It has pictures indicating what is there. And even has a "confidence meter" that was always one bar short of a full graph. I mean, it's just basic painted drywall.

I also called DeWalt and apparently they have stopped manufacturing of this unit while they review the situation and find out what's going on. Obviously they weren't expecting it to not work at all. Their suggestion is to either return or take it to a service center. For everybody else, it's best to wait.