Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DEWALT DW7082 Vertical Clamp, for the DW703, DW706, and DW708
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 9, 2000
I bought two of these clamps after hearing about de-fingered folks who regretted not using them after their accidents. So after using them on a few mitering projects, I highly recommend them not only for the added safety they provide, but also for the precision they make possible with large, slippery or otherwise cumbersome materials. One clamp is probably enough though, but I wanted two because I'm too lazy to switch them back and forth when clamping is needed on alternating sides. Switching can easilly be done though with only one hand due to the way the shaft swivel-locks into the table, so it really is easy to add and remove. I found it especially useful for securing jigs to hold small pieces too small for the clamp to secure directly.
The downside with any clamp is the added time it takes to secure it versus the speed of going free-hand. But for me the reduced safety risk and errors from slipping, especially with large cumbersome pieces, makes up for the hassle. And the effective design of this clamp considerably minimizes that hassle.
The ergonomic handle design makes it easy to tighten quickly, and the grippy rubber permits easy tightening with little effort. The cylindrical handle shape minimizes interference with the rest of the saw. I love the quick release, which allows easy removal of peices after cutting. It also passes the toughness test, seemingly made of strong, solid materials.
So why not 5 stars? One concern is the high profile of the clamp, which interferes with angled cuts where the saw is tilted side to side at steep angles. The price seemed high for such a simple product. And it's shaft feels a little loose in the table until clamped tight, lacking that snug fit you might expect. But this didn't detract from its functioning. Another improvement I'd recommend is to broaden the span of the clamp (or make it adjustable) to permit holding down pieces a little closer to the blade. But this is quibbling. Overall, it's a solid product with some good design that I, risk-averse weekender that I am, would not saw without.
on December 9, 2003
Excellent clamp. Sturdy and well built. With all the emphasis in the reviews on the "wobble" I really expected it to be looser than it is once seated. It moves just a little bit, maybe 1/8th of an inch if that, and like the reviews say once tightened down its rock solid. This clamp is bigger than I'd imagined and really seems well made. I don't feel like I got taken, the price is high but I'm happy with what I received for my money (No I don't work for DeWalt). Buy this clamp it's worth having.
on February 10, 2003
We own several DeWalt miter saws. We use a few out at job site installs and 3 in the shop. We like them.
As for the hold down device, we consider this accessory a must for safety and accuracy. It comes in especially handy when the board is too long and or heavy to keep it flat and stable on the cutting platform while you're struggling to bring the saw down for a safe and accurate cut at the same time. Though it is sloppy until you tighten it down I believe this is built in for ease of moving it from the left to the right recept hole as well as enabling the quick release to function even with dust crammed into it. (no biggy since it doesn't seem to keep it from doing it's job) I think the crown stop is pretty important as well as the extension wings. It irritates me that we always have to buy these seperately, but I guess "price pointing" has become the most important aspect of sales for comparison shopping these days.
on June 24, 2003
For safety and accuracy of sawing, these are indespensible. For the price, though, they should come in pairs to allow the workpiece to be secured on both sides of the blade.
on January 10, 2005
I ended up getting a pair and they are very good quality!The push button quick adjust works great and I really use these clamps alot. I highly recommend them!No regrets!
on February 6, 2004
Very sturdy. Well engineered. The push button releases the clamp and it can be quickly adjusted. Releasing the button engages the clamp shaft, and you give it a twist to apply clamping pressure. Done. The clamp head has a rubber cover, so it not only prevents maring your work, but provides additional grip. Get two of these so you can clamp on both sides of the blade. They can be easily moved out of the way (swing it behind the fence, still attached to the saw) when not needed, or just as easily removed completely. I leave mine attached to the DW708.
This accessory is up to the level of quality I expect from DeWalt. Highly recommended.
For the price these should come in pairs, but keeping my fingers where they are is important so I spent the money to get them.
on March 21, 2003
Pricey - true. But I was pleasantly surprised by the good design of this accessory. The clamp conveniently swings out of the way when not needed - no need to unmount it from the saw. I'm glad that I purchased two clamps, although one would probably suffice for most uses. The only reason for subtracting a star is because of the high price.
on March 15, 2006
I recently purchased the Dewalt DW318 SCMS and ordered this clamp at the same time. I was disappointed when I compared the clamp that came with the saw with this one. The stock clamp has a smaller knob on the top for tightening against the work piece, and only the DW7082 has the quick release button to quickly raise or lower it. The stock clamp does have a bolt on the back of the arm that can lower it on the leg, but the fence of the saw only allows 1/4" of play unless it's slid out of the way. Originally I only ordered one DW7082 clamp knowing that the saw would already come with a clamp, but after comparing the two side by side, I ordered a second DW7082 and put the stock clamp aside. To invest in the saw and not have accessories that perform the way I want them doesn't make sense to me.
on December 14, 2001
Typical DeWALT quality and nice design, clamps against the table as I prefer. Easy to handle. (...) Could use a little bit more manufacturing accuracy (expected from DW), wiggles in the slot until you clamp down the workpiece. I only use one (being right-handed) on the right side, also a control device to keep your hands away form the blade (if you're the type). You can easily adapt a suitable material between the round rubber foot and the workpiece, so you can clamp close to the blade on a short piece. I can see DW designing against a long rubber shoe instead, for liability reasons - the round foot will never cross the blade path. Recommended, yes. Required, depends how you work.
Why not 5? Well, 5 for me is perfection.
on November 10, 2006
A five star item that loses a star to overpricing. Not Amazon's fault -- seen them in the box stores for even more.

Was working recently with 16' sections of cedar decking. Dewalt 12" slider on a good stand w/ 5' support on the left, so 10+' of unsupported lumber. The cuts were square but kept coming out slightly beveled, which left the butt joints on the deck too d@#m open. Went to the truck and dug out this clamp and cranked it down snug -- what do you know? No more bevel!

That actually highlights one annoying trait of the clamp. I had to go get it from the truck. I've found that I can't leave it mounted on the saw without losing a good chunk of left bevel. Also interferes with any dust collection you may have hooked up. Was working inside on a rainy day so I had my fein vac hooked up. On a hard right miter cut, knocked the hose against the clamp which was swiveled around "out of the way." Of course I didn't notice and when I fired up shot dust all over the place. And of course the client walked in right at that very moment. My fix is to find some spot on my stand that's out of the way, boring a slightly oversized hole it in, and just leaving the clamp stuck in there when not on the saw. One of these days...

So... well, I still think it's worth five stars, even if just for those cuts when you know your fingers are too close but you do it anyway, you know?

See 1 answered question