Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DEWALT DW733 12-1/2-Inch Portable Thickness Planer
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 1, 2002
I highly recommend the DW733. I originally went to [the store]and purchased a Delta 22-560. What a piece of junk. I could only plane 3 maybe 4 boards 1x8x12feet and the thing overheated and shut itself down. No, I was not planing too much at a time. I took the thing back, got my money and bought a DW733. What a world of difference. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Bicycle. Absolutely no comparison. Snipe? There is no snipe with a DeWalt period. The speed of lowering the cutter to make another pass is like comparing the speed of light to the speed of sound. I really like this DeWalt. I plane 1"x8"x12' boards. Mostly doug fir and ponderosa pine. After planing over 20 boards the motor is cool. It is just a pleasure to use. The only drawback to this machine is the dust or shaving removal. It doesn't work but I don't care. I just have my air hose handy and every so often I just blow the stuff away. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone who does any planing. The infeed and outfeed tables were perfectly level right out of the box etc. etc. I just haven't had a problem at all so far with this machine...
on February 13, 2001
I am absolutley wowed by the accuracy of the cut. One quarter turn of the crank equalled precisely 1/64th of an inch just like it said it would. After jointing one surface flat and planing the other, the variances were barely measurable in the thousandths of an inch.
Although the manufacturer boasts of a snipe free cut, no small planer and very few big ones can actually pull that off. This little powerhouse comes closer than I have ever seen. When snipe is present it is usually so light it is difficult to see untill sanded or stained. A quick pass with the belt sander makes it disappear in a hurry.
The dust chute works very well with a large shop vacume. Even if you just hang it in place like I do. Permantly attaching the chute prohibits the outfeed table from closing up. This is to be expected in a portable unit.
The key issue is what are your needs? If you are going to use it daily as a production tool obviously spend one to three thousand dollars for a large stationary planer. Anything less and this one can't be beat.
on October 18, 2003
I bought this planer 10 months ago and just got around to using it. I am impressed! Set up was easy right out of the box. The planer makes super smooth cuts with no snipe. Dewalt has upgraded to a 3 knife model, but it is hard to see how they could improve on this one. The dust hood does a good job with my shop vac attached with very few chips ending up on the table.
The only negative I have found so far is the carrying handles. If you don't carry it level the planer can shift on the telescopic handles and pinch your hand.
on April 20, 2002
I've read the other reviews of this product, and I have a question: Did the people who gave this product a bad review know how to use a thickness planer? I plane the HARDEST woods around (African Mahogony, 100+ year-old Antique Pine, etc.) with this thing and it hasn't given me the type of trouble that they complain of. There isn't a planer on the market where you would trust preset depth stops, so they may be off... I wasn't foolish enough to try them. If you want to establish a thickness, use a caliper; no one relies solely on an on-board scale when it comes to that. The only problem I've ever experienced was with the dust chute. When I'm really hogging away at a PT 2x12, and I start getting into wetter wood, it will start to clog (because of a slight design flaw). This is a good all-around portable thickness planer.
on June 13, 2000
I received my planer timely and damage free. I was pleasantly surprised how intuitive the machine was to use (it is my first planer). I planed approximately 20 feet of 4" hard maple then I decided to read the instructions, "NEVER...OPERATE THE PLANER WITH THE DUST CHUTE REMOVED, OR SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY MAY RESULT." I could not believe that something so important would be sold separately. It is like selling a car with the brakes as an option. Given this, why is the dust chute sold separately? Why was there no indication of this during the ordering process? For those interested in the planer - GET IT! It performs as well as it was adversited. BUT, order the dust chute TOO!!
on April 26, 2003
I'll be brief: I have used this planer with no complaints for about 4 months now. (NOTE: no complaints) I would buy this unit again at twice the price and not think twice. It is indeed a "Cadillac" among thickness planers. Easy to use, no detectable snipe, plenty of power to spare. Don't give it another thought....BUY IT! You will have NO regrets!
on February 18, 2003
After reading the reviews of the varied problems I must admit that I held my breath when my machine arrived. I assembled it as advised by attaching the handle, plugged it in and proceeded the first night to plane more than 55 board feet of rough sawn red oak. I had to make no adjustments. The boards went through like a knife in warm butter. I've used it several times since and can't wait to have another job for it.
SNIPE? NONE, leave the boards alone until the cutters have done their job.
DUST? I plane a small amount at a time as I was taught in my woodworking class and my shop vac works great. At no time has the dust collector clogged. I have filled the shop vac at least 8-10 times so far.
THICKNESS INDICATOR: Use a ruler. (I have not looked at it and would probably not trust the indicator on any machine except as a rough guide).
CHANGING BLADES: A breeze. Especially helpful are the included Knife Gauges.
WEIGHT: It's heavy. Must be secured on a table. I have one with casters.
CLICK: Click the button to buy this unit. The most difficulty I've had with this planer is my anxiety in making the correct decision to buy this vs. other planers. And the price is great too.
on May 29, 2002
Before chossing the Dewalt 733 I checked out the Rigid, Delta, and Makita planers. I'll admit I bought the Dewalt on reputation since all of the brands made similar claims in performance. So far, no regrets. I gave this tool a 4 star rating only because I have not used it enough to state its long term performance.
1. The infeed/outfeed tables are of adequate length. I recently planed 4x4 posts with little problem. As with all planers, you must be careful at the ends to avoid snipe.
2. Although pine is of little challenge, I was very satisfied with the feed rate, and finish the planer produced.
3. The dust chute could use some improvement but no real problems to speak of. After a couple of runs I check the chute for clogging but usually not an issue with relatively dry wood
4. This planer is heavy; A benefit when your using it but a hindrance when transporting it. I don't travel with this tool much so I'll call the weight an advantage ( for the sake of vibration dampening)
Overall, I am very satisfied with this product. Once again Dewalt has met/exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend this product.
on January 9, 2001
I bought one of these during X-mas. With the $50 rebate, free set of knives and dust hood, and the additional 10% discount that Amazon offered, my total cost was under $300. I could not resist, and am glad that I didn't.
Just open the box, plug it in, and away I went. This is the first planer that I have owned, but if it continues to perform like it does now, I don't see how it can be beat. With my new Jet dust collector attached, virtually 100% of the dust and chips were collected. I would recommend this to anyone.
on August 3, 2003
The contractor from Hawaii and I share the same experience. I am a hobbyist/homeowner and do some outside work (freelance carpenter, former college professor, and an association consultant). I was happy with this product, using it about ten minutes weekly for home furniture projects and some recycling (redwood, pine, Doug-fir). Then, 18 months (after the warranty expired), the feed rollers stopped.
After taking it apart, a bracket failed, which hold the feed rollers - two screws were missing, three more were loose on other brackets. There were no keepers, and clearly, any compound such as locktight had not been employed. The bracket had dislodged into the motor drive chain, destroyed the drive bracket, ruined the chain, and created general havoc.
I will try to repair the damn thing myself, but it took me four hours to dismantle the planer. And now will see how long parts will take.
The down side of all this, is that reading reviews in various woodworking publications, about all of the benchtop planers, excepting Grizzly & Makita, are manufactured by the same plant in Taiwan, to the Company's specs - you may not do better with a Delta, for example. But I am apalled, that the chintzy oversight of keepers or a thread tightening compound has extracted such a toll on my patience and time.
SHAME ON YOU, DE WALT!!!!!!!