5.0 out of 5 stars Good from the box, even better with proper alignment
A friend got this six months ago for job-site use. It cut pretty well right from the box. The fence has a rack-and-pinion system that is clever, but not quite perfect. We measured the alignment error and have two fixes. If you want to know about them so you can save some money, read on...

Using a TS Aligner, we checked the alignment of the fence. The fence was...
Published on July 20, 2009 by G. Conner

1.0 out of 5 stars decent item, AWFUL service
The saw's OK when it works, but if it needs service (as mine did after only a few uses), good luck. DeWalt's service is absolute crap, the worst service I've encountered for any product I've ever bought. Ever. The saw's motor cut out often and unpredictably. With jobs lined up, I had to take it in to the local factory service center. Folks there said it needed a new...
Published on September 5, 2011 by Mark R. Jury

5.0 out of 5 stars Good from the box, even better with proper alignment, July 20, 2009
This review is from: DEWALT DW745 10-Inch Compact Job-Site Table Saw with 20-Inch Max Rip Capacity (Tools & Home Improvement)

Using a TS Aligner, we checked the alignment of the fence. The fence was near-perfect when we backed up to the mark, (going right) but it skewed by as much as four or five-thousandths when we moved the fence to the left. That's because the connecting rod between the two gears flexes and there is some "slop" or "play" in the gears. This is more noticeable when approaching the mark from the right. Sometimes this is referred to "lash-back or back-lash."

The easy work-around was to always go past the mark (an inch or so to the left) , then roll the knob back slowly right to the mark and try not to overshoot. That works OK, and it is free, but it is a time-wasting nuisance and won't provide the consistent accuracy that good woodworking requires.

SO... we replaced the flimsy metal rod that connects the two rack-gears. Instead of the stock rod, we used hardened O1 tool rod, which doesn't twist or flex as easily. The rod costs $12 bucks. We also adjusted the two gears to remove the slop. (loosen set screw, twist gears forward together, then re-tighten) Now we had fair fence parallelism in both directions. Not bad for a twelve-dollar fix... but there is more.

( PLEASE NOTICE this revision to my review!

As of July 2014 I got to try the new version... The NEW version of this saw is better than the old one! Apparently Dewalt read this review and changed a few things. They replaced the flimsy connecting rod with a beefier rod that does not twist or flex. They also made the rack-gear teeth larger so they engage more fully with less play. Every thing else about the saw is just as good or better than it was, but now, you don't need to mess with the rod or gears.)

After using the saw a while, several of us noticed it made burns marks even with reasonable feed-rates and a new blade. One rainy day, we got out the TS aligner again and checked all the critical alignments. Dewalt uses decent bearings, so the runout was not too bad. But there were a number of other small inaccuracies that added up: arbor run-out, slot-parallelism, fence alignment, blade-alignment etc.

It took about an hour of measuring, but the Dial indicator with the TS Aligner helped us get everything literally "dialed-in." Now this thing cuts as smoothly and accurately as our five-thousand dollar cabinet saws.

The secret is to choose a saw with good bearings and a design that allows adjustments.
Dewalt and Bosch contractor saws both qualify.
Use a dial indicator with a TS Aligner to accurately measure and adjust EVERYTHING. It takes an hour, but it is worth the effort MANY times over. It isn't much more work. ... You can get professional precision at a fraction of the cost of a cabinet saw. If you don't have a TS aligner, you can use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and a 1-2-3 block set.

We cut all kinds of mitered molding and trim. We make custom installations and complex speaker cabinets that require EXACT cuts. After we adjusted this with the TS Aligner, the noise-level was lower and blades stay sharp much longer. That's always a good sign!

The beautiful thing about this saw is that we can take it to a site, make measurements on a story-pole and cut exactly to the mark, repeatably and reliably. The saw's design allows you to adjust it, assuming you have the right adjustment tools. Those tools are inexpensive and pay for themselves very quickly. You get your money back fast because you waste less wood, blades last longer and the motor runs cooler when everything on the saw is tuned up.

This is a good saw because you can adjust it and it has accurate bearings. It takes some tweaking, but with an alignment jig and a cheap dial indicator, you can get many times your money's worth! (About FIVE times in fact!) Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best saw in its class!, September 12, 2010
I have owned the DeWalt DW745 for over 3 years now. Before purchasing this saw I did extensive research to determine which portable table saw would be the best for me. To give you a little background I worked myself through college as a salesmen in Sears tool department and as a residential finish/trim carpenter. During the course of my carpentry work I never owned my own table saw and the subcontractor who employed me went through several different portable table saws. The saw I used most during that time was the slightly larger DeWalt DW744. The DW744 is a fantastic saw primarily because of its rack and pinion fence design. I also used a Bosch 4100, which was a great saw but doesn't have a rack and pinion fence and I do not like how bulky the saw is in storage or transportation with the attached wheel based stand. The only other saw that I used during that time was a much smaller and cheaper Skill brand table saw, which I don't even know the model of. That saw was truly a nightmare. The distinction was that it probably cost around $150 while the Bosch and DW744 where in a higher class of "contractor portables" costing around $500.

After graduating from college I quit working as a carpenter, however I was frequently being asked to do side jobs trimming so I needed my own table saw. I also make a great deal of furniture. Because I was no longer working full time as a carpenter I had a more narrow focus in finding "the best saw for me." I had three primary criteria in a saw. First I was on a budget, I was looking for a table saw that was more in the $250 to $350. Second I was also looking for a saw that was relatively light (doing side jobs I didn't want to haul around a bulky/awkward or heavy saw.) Finally the most important thing to me was finding a saw with a good fence design preferably rack and pinion. Mind you I understand that this is not what everyone else is looking for and as such you should get the saw that will fit your own criteria. My needs ruled out the DW744 as well as the Bosch 4100. They are both great saws but cost about twice as much as I wanted spend and they are just a little larger than what I was looking for. In my search this was the only saw that met every single need I had. most other portable table saws fit into the really cheap $150 to $200 range and preform much like the Skill table saw that I mentioned above. The Craftsman Professional (contractor series) seemed to be the only other saw in the size and price range that I was looking for only it lacked the rack and pinion fence. However after working as a salesmen at sears and seeing just how often Craftsman power tools were returned I decided that saw was not the design that I was looking for. The DW745 was really the exact size/cost/design that I was looking for.

The best selling point of this saw is the fence. If you haven't ever used a rack and pinion fence you need to. It is absolutely the very best design that I have used. To cut the cost a little lower, I found a DeWalt certified refurbished dealer and purchased it from them for about 30% less than the new price was. Also when I purchased mine the stand was included so it actually probably saved me closer to 40% considering that you will spend another $60 or so for the stand. And the stand is a great design, folds up so to store very well and holds the saw perfectly. For me this wasn't really a risk because it still had a 3 year warranty and I have had no problem with it in the 3 years that I have had it. After doing many trim jobs with this saw and building a large amount of furniture with it, I can without hesitation say this was one of the best tool purchases that I have ever made. If you have similar needs to the ones that I described you won't regret purchasing this saw. If you need to make cuts larger than 16 inches and you are using the saw everyday you may want to go with the DW744 or Bosch 4100. But if you aren't and you are looking for something that is little smaller, a lot less money and still as high of quality you can't go wrong with this saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose, November 24, 2006
Tom "ontrac1" (Flemington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I saw this, I immediately thought of how handy it would be on the jobsite. I have a Bosch 4000 that I truly love & believe its the best 10" saw in it class, but its heavy and I don't always need the capacity of that saw. This "little" DeWalt is perfect for ripping 1x stock for trim work & the like. I've even had it up on my scaffold. I've found the fence to be dead on and very easy to adjust. The motor has plenty of power. I think DeWalt hit a home run with this saw...Now if it only came in a cordless version!!

4.0 out of 5 stars With only one small exception, October 9, 2006
Absolutely fantastic portable saw!! It's about time someone has offered a "portable" saw with small "stationary" power. This saw cuts through tough hardwoods with ease, so with it's compact size it is the perfect saw for small jobs without compromising power. I own the Bosch contractors table saw w/ gravity rise stand, another awesome portable saw, but when doing small jobs it's easier to not have to drag out a bigger saw to complete an easy job. The only draw back is the price and the chincy miter guage that comes with it.If they could cut the cost to $300 they would sell more of them but I paid more and am happy I did. I use it more than I thought I would. Other wise 5 stars easily...

4.0 out of 5 stars DW745 table saw, January 5, 2007
While I'm pleased overall with the saw, I am really disaapointed that Dewalt has yet to manufacture or market the accompanying stand (DW7450). The usefulness of this saw is reduced by the lack of the stand and the safety in using this saw is compromised by the lack of the stand. Using the saw on the ground is not safe and it is too large to place on a small worktable thus the stand is an extra cost "must have" for this saw.

The saw is adequately powerful for for small on-site ripping. I chose this unit as an alternate and compliment for the heavier Bosch 4000 when I only need to rip a few boards on the job site. However, it is fairly noisy (not measured) and lacks the soft-start and brake accompanying a larger unit like the Bosch 4000.

Because of the relatively small table which lacks side and outfeed extensions, this saw cannot perform at the level of a cabinet saw like our Delta or even like the Bosch 4000 (which does have side and outfeed extensions).

4.0 out of 5 stars "Little Engine That Could " Hardwood Flooring Contractor, October 29, 2006
My eight year old DW744 finally gave up the ghost after day after day abuse. For a hundred and fifty bucks less, I decided to pick up the DW745, (with a little trepidation). Not only is it significantly lighter, it out saws it's big brother. Yes, the table is smaller, but I never cut sheet goods. It does everything else with ease. When I'm done, I hang it from a hook on the inside of my trailer....great!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewalt Table Saw, December 21, 2006
Matt (Northern Ca) - See all my reviews
I don't want to waste my breath here, so I'll just say its a good saw. I used it to rip hardwood flooring and found its smaller size perfect for the job. The reason we picked this one over others was the no monkey biz on the fence. The fence just snaps into place according to manufacture specifications. Its good as done; do it once and so far never again.

Its a little loud but that doesn't surprise me. Overall this is a prime saw. Its smaller size proved to be more functional than I would of imagined. The job went smoothy with this saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars best compact table saw, January 9, 2007
The DeWalt's top features are it's extrordinary portability and it's unique fence. At work we have the classic Makita table saw that drops into the roussou stand, we also have the new Bosch table saw. At home I have an older less expensive skil table saw. I found the Makita never really lined up with the table and the table were nice but too often overkill. The Bosch is really great but expensive and not portable enough for me, although it and the Ridgid seem to be the best in that segment of the market. The skil table saw I have is fine- light but not durable or smooth enough for more demanding applications- big heavy rips or smooth trim rips. This new DeWalt is the best. Best fence- I love the rack and pinion. No more tapping the fence over with my tape or my hand. Roll bars on the bottom are ideal for pushing the saw into the back of a truck. Portable- it's not too heavy or bulky and still seems not to compromise on quality. I simply screw through the available holes to secure the saw to some sturdy sawhorses for an easy stand. My shop vac hose fits right over the dust chute and the entire motor is housed to channel the sawdust into the chute. Combined with a $20 tool trigger from Sears I love this setup. I think it's a 16" rip compacity- of course more is better, but I prioritized portability, and I found it plenty to build bookshelves or tackle big framing rips. DeWalt read the market and filled a void. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars DeWalt nailed the "Compact Job-site" table saw. DW 745, December 24, 2010
First I am a professional remodeler. I am a Festool Junkie, and I know Tools.
This is not a primary Saw, It is not meant for the Do it your self-er or home shop hobbyist. you Cannot cut Dado or rip 24" or have Extensions to allow you to break down sheet-goods by your self. This saw is meant to be thrown in the back of a VAN or Tool trailer a and be *****CARRIED******to the site to Rip down what ever you need. It assumes that you have the ability to break down sheets, keep a portable plainer to finish out hardwood, are tired of lugging more tool than you need, or you realized that small repeated rips are the Bane of track saws everywhere.
No one else makes Jobsite tough lightweight portable table saw. Gone are the days of the Mak 2704 :(
I am a Firm believer in buying the BEST, SMALLEST, LIGHTEST tool to do job site work, Dewalt filled a niche here I was surprised to see it a 10" rather than the old standard 8 1/2" but it didn't bog down when i cut wet Green treat so ithas enough power. As portable Saws have become larger and larger --They now need roller carts to move around. I commend Dewalt for giving the Professional just what he needs to get a job done. If you are a home hobbyist or still feel the need to cut sheets on portable table saws -- consider buying a $99.00 Roybi a high end 7 1/4" blade and a Rousseau system. It is more accurate, ergonomic and about the same price as the big Ridgid, Makita, Bosch and Dewalt saws.

The only things DW should address in my opinion is the left side hand hold has a frame brace too close to it for comfortable suitcase carry (one handed carry like a suitcase).
The new Gaurd System is AWESOME and i Realize the need to store the gaurds on the saw but i would love to see it engineered to hang the Fence under the right side frame with out having to roll the Rack past the table (add another 2 in to the table -- but there i go making the saw larger)
I also agree that making the saw work with a stack dado set would be a super improvement for the cost of another 1/2 of thread.
If you need a small table saw to take with you, this may be your best choice.
Finally as to durability it has Dewalt's 3 year warranty If you break it use it.
If mine were stolen I would buy another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Tool, March 26, 2007
My main complaint about the saw was the piercing, circular saw-type noise. I replaced the blade with a thin kerf Forrest Woodworker II and added a blade stabilizer from Rockler. The improvement in noise reduction and cutting ability was dramatic. I highly recommend this upgrade. The fence is great and dust collection works pretty well with a shop-vac (which drowns out the noise of the saw!).

Rate and Discover Movies