5.0 out of 5 stars A true workhorse
Published on August 18, 2008 by LIEB

Published on March 25, 2011 by Santosh Philips

5.0 out of 5 stars A true workhorse, August 18, 2008
This review is from: DEWALT DWD115K 8 Amp 3/8-Inch VSR Mid-Handle Grip Drill Kit with Keyless Chuck (Tools & Home Improvement)
My father and I recently took on the construction of an above ground pool deck. We used 2 24v cordless drills(only drills we ever needed for most jobs). Though both drills had the power to drive, the project ate up the batteries so fast that we were left waiting for a recharge to the point where it became annoying. And also we were only able to get the full power of the drills for about 70% of the battery life. Keep in mind this is a very large deck and we were on a tight time frame.

So i decided to give my father my batteries to use while i went to purchase this drill. I broke out my extension cord, and started driving in 4in deck screws like they were being shot in with a nail gun. This 8amp has so much power. And its probably the most comfortable drill I've ever held due to the placement of the handle and weight balance.

Bottom line: Best 3/8in drill I've used. Its cheap, very powerful and renewed my faith in 3/8in corded drills. When it comes to drilling tons of screws on bigger projects, I'll grab for this in a heartbeat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent corded drill, January 4, 2010
I purchased this drill before a mostly DIY kitchen renovation where we figured we'd need the power of a corded drill. I'm really glad we got this drill as it is solidly built, well-balanced, and has a ton of power. I've used it to drill holes, from tiny ones to large Forstner-mades, drive all sorts of screws into studs and hardwoods, and mix thin-set.

The chuck spins easily when changing bits, so it's fast to switch the chuck from a thin to a thick bit (or vice versa). I've never had a bit slip in the chuck - those teeth clamp down securely.

The variable speed trigger is quite sensitive and there have been times when I've given it a little more power than I was wanting to and stripped a screw head or over-driven a screw deeper than I wanted to. In those situations, I might have opted for a cordless drill/driver since they're not as powerful or aggressive. It's taken me some time to get used to the sensitivity of the trigger and now I'm much better at squeezing gently and gradually. I didn't have all of this extra power in my previous drill and I was accustomed to giving the trigger a full squeeze all the time.

But those cordless power tools will never be able to mix thinset (and if they can it won't be for very long!). If you do use this drill to mix thinset (with the appropriate mixing wheel, of course), take it slow and rest the drill plenty. It will overheat and smoke if you push it too hard.

Another note - it's a fairly loud drill, especially compared to the wimpier cordless drills. And if you are doing finer work with it and like to have your face closer to your workpiece to the right of your drill (remember your safety glasses!), you'll get blast of air in the face from the side vent.

Overall, this is a great alternative to the 18V cordless drills out there, especially if you don't want to drop $150-200 right now for a decent model + battery. I've found most of the time I'm close enough to an outlet where the corded aspect of the drill doesn't bother me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful yet reasonably priced!, December 1, 2010
My B&D 18V NiCd battery recently died and it took the charger with it. So I decided to buy one corded drill for heavy duty work and one lithium Ion drill for day to day light work. So I ordered this puppy...Here is what I like so far:
1. Cord is long enough ( I think 8 feet) no need to use extension cord all the time.
2. Well balanced, weight wise... Doesn't create a fatigue.
3. Chuck is not slipping.
4. Nice torque at slow speeds.
5. Trigger sensitivity is right, not too sensitive.
6. Small yet very powerful.

What I don't like:
1. The carrying case. It is hard plastic, I would prefer some sort of fabric carrying case like pouch. My new B&D 20V Lithium Ion drill came with very nice carrying case.

Over all highly recommended for heavy duty works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful balanced drill, August 20, 2011
My new 3.5 amp Ryobi burned out when I was mixing self-leveling cement. I grabbed my 4 amp Craftsman and it started smoking. I ran to the local home big box and found an 8 amp Milwaukee 0240-20 3/8-Inch Drill and this 8 amp DeWALT. I've always preferred DeWALT over Milwaukee but the Milwaukee was cheaper at this store so I grabbed it instead. The 8 amp was enough power to complete the cement mixing but it felt a little hard to hold steady when compared to the Ryobi.

When I saw this DeWALT in a Gold Box deal, I grabbed one right away. I tested it against my Milwaukee. Both appears to have comparable power and would have no trouble tackling any home improvement project. The Milwaukee has a higher RPM, 2800, compared to the DeWALT's 2500. Both have keyless chuck. Both have enough power to easily strip screw head if you're not used to them.

The big difference is in the placement of the handle. The Milwaukee's handle is all the way at the end. It made the drill feel longer and I felt further away from the work piece. The drill is pretty solid so the location of the handle made it front heavy. The DeWALT felt just as heavy but the mid handle location made it more balanced. The handle location didn't make much difference when I'm drilling holes but the DeWALT had the advantage when driving in screws, especially vertical surfaces. With one hand holding the screw and one on the drill, the balance of the DeWALT made it easier to control.

Both drills are equally great. Whenever I needed a drill, I'll grab the one that's closest. If I had to pick just one, then I'd pick the DeWALT for its balance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great drill marred by quality control issues related to the Jacobs Chuck, March 25, 2011
I purchased this drill to replace an older lower end VSR DeWalt which had given me years of faithful use, until I used it harder than it was designed for. I tend to choose Amazon.com for the seller due to free shipping. When replacement drill was received, the drill chuck had a very noticeable wobble when using a 8"+ true drill bit. Returned for an exchange and the new unit had less of a wobble, but the VSR trigger was not smooth starting... When gently pressing down on the VSR trigger, every third time the drill would skip from 0 to a few hundred RPM instantly. Returned this one for my third replacement. Generally the same issues as the prior two. I decided to keep it for raw power as I have a Makita cordless drill which I use for finer work. On the plus side the drill has MASSIVE power and torque! I was able to put a 4.5" hole saw and went through the wood block in no time at all with no stalling or overheating. If I were to do this again, I would probably skip DeWalt and go for a Makita.

KUDOS to Amazon.com: I must say I was truly impressed with Amazon's Customer Service! Hassle free returns and prompt replacement! Best CS service ever online!

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool, January 19, 2009
P. Yu "Ron" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
It works great. Tough and strong. Well balanced in hands. So much better than cordless ones. Great built quality. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK if poor quality is acceptable from drill wobble, November 21, 2012
Tech buyer (Houston, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
We bought one of these for our company workshop about a year ago. Nice and powerful, well balanced etc., just like so many other good reviews say. When using it, I had noticed that bits seemed to wobble quite a bit as I started a hole, but it did not really click that this was a problem with the drill.

Last week, I needed to do a rather special task - spinning a small shaft held by bearings on a fixed assembly to do a test. I applied the drill to the end of the shaft and noticed that the whole drill was wobbling badly and shaking my test assembly. Assuming that we had somehow damaged the drill in its year of very light use at the shop - I ran out and bought another new DWD115K to complete the test. Same thing! Now tuned in to issues of bad drill alignment and chuck wobble, I put a new drill bit in the drill and just looked at how much it was wobbling when it was spun in the drill - a lot. The very tip of a drill bit was spinning in circle a little more then 1/4" in diameter. In other words, the bit was wobbling back and forth at least 1/8" from center.

Basicelly, its clear that two out of two of these drills purchased had a lot of wobble - lack of concentricity.

Why would this matter, apart from spinning a shaft on a test assembly? It makes starting a hole 'on target' very difficult, as the point of the bit wants to rotate around about a 1/4" diameter circle instead of starting 'true' where you position it. In all these problems, the more firmly you hold the drill, the more difficult it is to drill a good hole! (I thought it was just my age sneaking up on me). Once drilling, it means that the bit is trying to cut with its long edge into the side of the hole in the material, rather then concentrating its energy to the cutting surface at the drill tip. It means that the hole will likely be oversize, especially a problem if you want to drill and tap small holes in metal or have a dowel fit snug in wood. When using the drill with small diameter bits, it is much easier to snap a bit off in your work, especially when you hold the drill firmly. Come to think of it, this happend twice at the workshop last year using this drill - causeing a lot of hassle on one job because of the broken bit. To be fair, it probably does not make any real difference in driving screws.

Because the wobble was so bad in two drills, I rate the tool with two stars. I returned the 2nd tool purchased and will try a drill costing about twice as much, which has good reviews for quality too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful. Great balance., July 20, 2010
I bought this drill a few years ago, replacing another corded drill (Craftsman) that had half the speed and drew one-third the amps. I immediately did the "Tim-the-Tool-Man" routine, driving a 3" stainless deck screw into treated pine in the blink of an eye, and snapping the head right off the screw in the process. Talk about more power! My old drill did well if it could bring the top of the head down flush with the top of the decking. A little practice taught me not to pull the VSR trigger in quite so far when doing things like driving screws. This thing has the strength to handle anything I've asked it to do, and a whole lot more.

The drill has been great for all kinds of household tasks. The mid-handle grip really helps to control the direction. It's not as heavy as I expected, either. That little clip on top for hanging the drill onto various fixed objects hasn't proven itself particularly useful; it only slips over narrow objects, and won't hang over a 2x4, for instance. Big deal; it's still better than no hook at all, right? Also, the keyless chuck is a vast improvement over the old keyed type I was used to fiddling with. I was wondering if it would grip tightly enough, but I've experienced no problems to date. Overall, this is a great little drill.

Update July 2013: I've let this thing gather some dust, having purchased an 18V Milwaukee cordless a while back. It's great too, but tonight I just thought I'd finish up the current project with the "old" DeWalt, to compare. I was drilling into brick, mortar, and concrete with the cordless, using a 1/4" carbide bit. (The purpose is to put in plastic inserts to hold brass screws, which hold brass stair nosing edges that will protect the freshly glued carpet on the back porch.) I rolled out a couple dozen feet of extension cord, but soon realized I'd have been done already if I'd started with this thing. Ka-ZOOM! Still has the power! I will keep taking the Milwaukee cordless as my usual drill, but when I have a job that requires a bit of oomph, I will probably be a bit more ready to unwind extension cord, track down the nearest live receptacle, and use the yellow thing again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grrr8! Best corded drill I've ever had in my hand., January 8, 2014
For a corded drill, this drill can't be beat. Very sturdy and made out of very fine materials. Easy to setup, easy to use. I have seen complaints about this model having wobbly chucks but this one is absolutely straight and true whether the bit is small or very large. Trigger is very and sensibly easy to control; goes smoothly from very slow to absolute tops in speed. Not too noisy but really gets up and goes when the work gets tough. Also, very comfortable to hold and use, even in tight quarters or for extended heavy duty work. I don't think that it could ever overheat due to the cooling fan pulling through a tremendous amount of air.

An absolutely first class drill that I wish I had bought long ago. Thanks DeWalt and Amazon for making this so easily afordable and possible.

Update 1/14/2014:
Had a few glitches with the chuck acting as if there was something binding it up when opening up and closing down on bits. Could see nothing wrong but the problem persisted and I finally opened up the chuck about half way and put a few drops of Castrol synthetic motor oil into the opening around the edges. Held the end of the chuck in my fingers and slowly ran the drill back and forth with the chuck pointing upward forcing it to close and open its jaws a few times and the problem disappeared. Have used the drill several times since and the chuck is working very smoothly without a hint of the original binding. Just thought this might be useful to someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for fine work., January 12, 2013
The first and second replacement drill wobbels alot. So I use it for drilling holes with my flat wood bits. Putting in a drive screw would be impossible.
The drill has a long cord and fast high speed. It is very hard to control it on lower speeds.

Rate and Discover Movies