5.0 out of 5 stars The best drill/hammer drill combination for a homeowner
Published on December 20, 2010 by patmeth

1.0 out of 5 stars Stop working after 20 holes in concrete.
Stop working after 20 holes in concrete. I have regular dewalt drill for 20 years no problem. This hammer drill made in China - garbage. Do not buy it.
Published 2 months ago by Dave

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best drill/hammer drill combination for a homeowner, December 20, 2010
This review is from: DEWALT DWD525K 1/2-Inch VSR Mid-Handle Grip Hammerdrill Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a tremendous drill and hammer-drill. It may be a bit of an overkill for drilling operations for a homeowner, but the hammer-drill ability makes it top of the line. I've used the drill for dozens of holes in concrete walls to support shelving without any problems at all. The ease with which it does so and the saved hours of effort if I had used a lesser hammer-drill make it worth it to me. I've also used the drill to drive in concrete screws. The drilling/driving is ability is of course very good since this is a professional caliber or serious DIY'er tool. The drill bit to use is also important and I've found Bosch blue-granite to work the best with these. The center-mounting is a bit plus since allows for one-handed operation. I very much prefer this grip to that of a standard pistol-grip which only allows a two-handed approach. So, in summary very much recommended as an addition if you have a lighter drill that just drills/drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars DeWalt DWD525K packs punch., March 30, 2012
D. Bernauer (Newport Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is for the DeWalt DWD525K 1/2-Inch VSR Mid-Handle Grip Hammerdrill Kit.

First, this is a great drill. It is NOT a cheap, light, wimpy drill - there are plenty of those when you need them. This hammerdrill is heavy (eased by the mid-grip position), powerful and not very cheap.

Pros:

Powerful drill. Provided that I use proper preparation and technique, this drill has been a blessing to use. I come from a world of cordless drills and this beats the pants off of those, even the other DeWalts.

Cons: (and they aren't a big deal).

This is a bare-bones kit - no bits or anything. The storage case is OK, but the buckles on the lid are kind of cheap.

This drill is huge - don't be surprised if it won't fit in a tight space.

The directional control is a tad too easy to touch by mistake. I prefer the forward and reverse switch to be on the top - away from my hands.

The drill's locking side handle seems to get really tight and difficult to adjust or remove (like when changing depths on the depth rod).

I would have liked a 3-prong grounded plug instead of the double-insulation, but then I guess this works with more types of extension cords and with ungrounded outlets. Too picky?

Other Remarks:

I rarely need to use the chuck key (I got used to keyless chucks, and use it that way most of the time). I would humbly suggest that if your bit is "slipping" around, perhaps it was a hex shank that got rounded off and is now worn out. I have had no troubles with standard or hex shanks.

The power cord is about 7 feet long, in case that information helps anyone.

Wear your eye protection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced beast., December 10, 2010
This drill has some umph! Nice Strong motor, nice hammer, multispeed, reversible. I have used this drill for mixing thick paint and it has worked well. A bit overkill for driving screws but i have done it, will power the screw right through whatever material you are fastening or break the screw lol. Nice balance because of mid handle. This drill will last a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars POWER!!, July 18, 2011
Have used it steady for three months now and love it. I saw some other reviews about the speed of the drill being unmanageable. I found that after a few hours of work it becomes second nature. If you don't use it often enough to get a feel for it try getting a guide to help with drilling holes. There are some decent ones for about $20. As for screws, well you just have to figure it out. This thing has the ability to perform virtually any job you can throw at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, May 26, 2010
Great tool! It's made for hard work so it is large and won't fit in small places -- but that has a control advantage. I will probably add a keyless chuck. Trigger speed control is sensitive but workable. A solid piece of power equipment. A bit heavy, but that is what one would expect from a tool this powerful and heavy duty. It should last as long as I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars driller, January 6, 2012
a very powerful drill and hammerdrill. The only negative is at first the chuck does loosen after a few minutes of using it in hammer, but every dewalt drill I have bought has done this but after a few times it stays tight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully balanced for easy handling and accuracy of drilling holes., September 29, 2013
A great hammer drill, but not quite as robust as I would have hoped for. I burned up the first one mixing some mortar in a 5 gallon bucket(and it was almost brand new - the drill I mean, not the mortar); and I had to buy this second one in order for me to finish my projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected and then some, April 14, 2011
This is an excellent 1/2 inch Hammerdrill. I recommend that you go the extra few dollars and buy the case.

This puppy will drill through just about anything........

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, easy to use, and POWERFUL, September 4, 2014
Not a tool that I need to use that often, but when you do, this has the power I wanted and the flexibility (grip adjustment) that made it easy. I was drilling holes in my concrete porch to attach new posts to hold up the roof. My old drill with standard masonry bits was taking 10 minutes or more per hold and a LOT of effort. This, with a carbide bit meant for a hammer drill, made each hole in about 5 seconds! One of the best purchases I ever made, even if I never use it again (but I'm sure I will).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a powerhouse!, August 22, 2014
I bought this drill to drill to the center of the Earth! Just kidding, but I think it could. Actually, I bought it to drill 3/8" x 4" deep holes in a concrete patio. This thing is incredible. It did not hesitate to bore the holes. I have since used it to drive 8" structural screws into 6x6" posts and knee braces while building a patio cover pavilion. Once again, it drove the screws home without hesitation. I would highly recommend!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›