5.0 out of 5 stars Could not live without!!!
This is just fantastic. We previously were using the lulaby bear but the darn thing kept messing up. We went through three of them before finding this. Here is the break down:

Good
1. Can have it play all night or use the automatic shut off.
2. Tons of sounds to choose from
3. Small, fits in our playards little rack where we keep diapers and...
Published on February 4, 2006 by The Walkers

3.0 out of 5 stars Womb sound great, volume not so much...
I just purchased this item for my son, who is 4 weeks old and has a LOUD big sister who keeps waking him up... a few pros and cons:

Pros:

Published on July 25, 2005 by a simple mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not live without!!!, February 4, 2006
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)

Good
1. Can have it play all night or use the automatic shut off.
2. Tons of sounds to choose from
3. Small, fits in our playards little rack where we keep diapers and such. Also easy to pack when staying somewhere overnight.
4. Has the option to plug in to save money instead of wasting batteries, but the battery option is nice to have two since you do not always have an outlet everywhere.
5. Can program it to play one sound, play two sounds at the same time (such as rain w/ thunder), or you can choose the option for it to play sounds at random.
6. Easy Easy Easy to use. I never even read the instruction manual.

Bad:
1. It does not go real real loud.
To give an example of how loud it goes. If we turn it up to full volume and close the bedroom door we can hear it (it is on the far side of the room away from the door, our room is an average master bedroom) if there is not another sound going on. But if the T.V, dishwasher, dogs, or shower is running anywhere in the house we cannot hear it. That is more than enough for us, especially since it is right next to our babies crib and as long as he hears it we are happy. Also when we go to bed and all things are off in the house we have to turn it down to its lowest volume otherwise it is too loud. I hope that helps!!

5.0 out of 5 stars loud enough, April 16, 2005
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
I just wanted to write a quick comment about the volume of this product. I was extremely hesitant to buy this model because of the complaints I read from others regarding the volume. We received the Sound Sleeper in the mail yesterday and used it last night. I was very happy with the volume...we could hear it in our bedroom without a monitor. I also did not have it turned as loud as it would go because I thought the volume would be too loud. The baby slept great and I am more than satisifed with the purchase. Do not let volume be your deciding factor. The AC adapter is great too, never have to worry about batteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Womb sound great, volume not so much..., July 25, 2005
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)

Pros:

The womb sound is wonderful, puts him right to sleep. It's a little annoying to listen to on the monitor, but if the baby is sleeping I won't complain! The other sounds are also nice, but this is the one that works for us.

The power cord is also great... wonderful not to have to rely on batteries.

The rubber feet on the bottom grip surfaces really well so the unit doesn't slide around at all.

The price was right. :)

The timer is a nice touch, though it could have a few other options in terms of length of time.

Cons:

Volume... it really doesn't go up high enough to be useful in blocking out a toddler in the next room.

Sound choice... as I said, the womb sound is great, but the rest are nothing special. I can't imagine any baby finding the sound combos very special... brids and thunder aren't particularly soothing and they actually wake my little guy up. It is lacking a real solid white noise sound, like the kind a fan or a car makes.

No way to hook it to the crib. That is an option other machines like this seem to have, and it would have been handy to get the unit closer to baby and his ears! As it is, you have to put it on a surface like the floor or a dresser.

Hope that is helpful... we are glad to have it for soothing the baby, but I still have to turn on a fan or something in the baby's room to really block other household noises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, December 4, 2005
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
I bought this item because it was cheaper than the mommy bear and it plays the womb sound, plus it plays so many more sounds. You can either use batteries or plug it in. I have this sitting on my changing table and turn it on everytime I change my sons diaper and he will spit his pacifier out and just listen. It also has a timer mode that will play for an hour and cut off, which I love because that gives baby plenty of time to fall asleep. The volume adjustment is great too, it is loud enough on the lowest setting but can get much louder if baby is fussy and you really need to get his attention. Great investment for the price

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years and still going strong!, February 20, 2005
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
Original review: February 21, 2005
I bought this machine before the birth of my first son 3 years ago. I used to lay in his room before he was born and relax listening to the different sounds. We started using the ocean mode when we brought him home from the hospital. We still use it every night and take it with us whenever we spend the night away from home. At three years old, he now makes sure that he turns it on before going to bed. We are expecting our second son in a few months and will purchase a new one just for him.

I have looked at other machines, but like the fact that this one can be used with an AC adaptor. We let it run all night long and the others just eat up batteries for the same initial price. I also like the fact that the sound comes through on our monitor. It not only helps me sleep at night but I trust in knowing that my monitor is working as well.

One downfall, I wish the volume was a little bit louder. All in all, a great product!!!

Updated: Sep 10, 2005 - Great Customer Service Too!

We did purchase a second unit for our newborn son. The packaging has changed and now allows for a store demo mode. The new unit was stuck in DEMO MODE and did not work properly. I contacted DEX Products and a new one was sent to us immediately at no extra charge. I have changed my review from 4 stars to 5 stars due to the great customer support (and the volume seems to be louder on the new unit too).

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding buy!, March 17, 2006
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
We bought this for our daughter when she was 2 months old (she's now 4 months) because she was taking 45 minutes to an hour to go to sleep, even though we could tell she was SOOO sleepy. I bought it because it had the "womb sound" option and I had read that that sound helps little baby's go to sleep easier; however that particular noise didn't seem to help her. What really works for us is the Ocean sound, though there are many other sounds that would probably work with your child. For every nap and at night we "turn on the ocean" and she conks right out.

Positives:

1) Timer setting turns off the sounds after 1 hour

2) Batteries last (at least with the timer setting) since we bought it batteries have been repaced once (4 AA)

3) Transportable! Easily fits into the diaper bag when you go on an overnight trip

4) Many different sound options. If one doesn't calm down baby, another will.

5) Price, it's only $20!

Negitive:

The only bad thing I can think of about this product is that the volume doesn't get very loud, if you need to block out a loud noise, this probably won't do it. We just keep it in the corner of her crib though and have never had to turn the volume up very high.

I absolutly love this little thing and have had no problems with it at all. As a matter of fact I'm here now to buy another for a co-worker who just had a baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great buy!, May 16, 2005
Fiona Smith "Fiona" (Louisville, KY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
I love this sound machine and my baby (16 months) can't sleep without it, which in itself is a bit annoying!

The volume control is fine, actually the loudest volume is too loud! We use the waves and seagulls and yes the seagulls get very annoying (we have stayed in hotels with our son and we've had to "turn off" the seagulls and just keep the waves on for our sanity!!)

This has travelled everywhere with us and has had it's fair share of batterings in the case/bag and still works. We've run it off of batterys before and they last for ages. Now we live in Swizterland and have had to change the power lead to a higher voltage and it still works perfectly!

I am thinking of buying another one just incase it goes wrong but I have faith in it that it will last as long as my son needs it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Poor Execution, March 4, 2006
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
I ignored the fact that many of the reviewers said that this noise machine does not get loud enough because many of the other reviewers contested that. I now kick myself everytime I put my baby to bed. If you want a soothing sound for your non-crying baby or child to listen to as they fall asleep, this might be for you. If you want a white noise machine that will block out the sounds of the household, or one that your baby can hear over his or her crying, DO NOT buy this one. It does not get loud enough!!!

The other flaw to this product is the volume control. There are two buttons to control the volume (up and down), but there is no visual indicator of where in the range of volume you are. It is difficult to tell, when pressing the volume button, that the volume is changing at all, so I can't tell when I have turned it all the way up. This wouldn't matter too much, except that the volume resets to the middle everytime you turn the machine off. This is very irritating. When I am trying to get my baby to sleep, the last thing I want to do is mess with a difficult volume control!

This seemed like a great product by the description, but it is really quite flawed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous product at a great price!!!, September 13, 2004
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
We received this as a gift when our daughter was 1 month old. I had it in the car to take back, because I didn't think she needed it. Then after a fussy day, I decided to pull it out and see if she would calm down. She LOVES it!

It has sounds that you can mix together or you can put it on random. It isn't loud enough to hear if she is screaming, but once she is somewhat calm she can hear it and it soothes her very well. My husband especially likes to go to sleep to the rain and thunder.

Last night I heard my daughter squirming in her bassinet and so I got up and turned it on to the brook sounds and she went back to sleep for another hour.

I also love it because we can plug it in in the nursery or let it run on batteries if we want to bring it into another room. You can put it on timer which will run for 60 minutes or let it run constantly. Its small enough to travel with too.

For this price, its worth a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, November 8, 2004
Mommy2x (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01 (Baby Product)
I got this EXACT same item at WalMart for $9.99. Frankly, that's all it's really worth. The sound quality is not great, if I had paid $19.99 for it I would have been pretty disappointed.

DEX Products Sound Sleeper SS-01