Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: D'Elles
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 14, 2007
Celine really blew me away with this CD. I defiantly recommend this album! Top Five Songs: A Cause, La Diva, Femme Comme Chacune, On S'est Aimé A Cause, Le paradis, Je Cherche L'ombre. The packaging is beautiful, it folds out contains two booklets (liner notes and a glossy photo booklet). The DVD contains clips recording sessions, photo shoots and a video shoot/blooper.
on July 8, 2007
I will comment on each track individually:

1. ET S'IL N'EN RESTAIT QU'UNE is a very good first track out of the album. I enjoy this one a great deal. It is very modern, and yet, has a flair of POUR QUE TU M'AIMES ENCORE. It reiterates the same topic. The "I-would-do-anything-for-you"-type of song. Very well written by Françoise Dorin, an author who has illustrated herself over the past 30 years in literature, and in movies as well.

2. IMMENSITE has grown on me. I enjoy this one as well. This is an interesting song written by a young author who specializes in writing on lesbian love. This is a well-crafted song.

3. I really like the beat of A CAUSE. This is a little different for a French song by Celine. Once again, Françoise Dorin wrote it. It almost sounds like a piece taken out of a book. Very well crafted as well, with a nice dance beat.

4. JE CHERCHE l'OMBRE is another nice tune written by Lise Payette, born in Verdun, France but educated in Quebec. Interesting choice of texts since she is known to be a feminist in her own right. This song is anything but. It is well-written. It is a very sensual song, overshadowed by a lot of sincerity meant to denote intimacy in the light of love vs. the strict physicial approach.

5. MES PARADIS is a nice song. The tune itself reminds me of LES DERNIERS SERONT LES PREMIERS from D'eux. It is a nice catchy song. It feels like it's been heard before. This being said, it is a nice song on the feeling of longing for her "paradise" that she is seeking.

6. LA DIVA is a great song, which I did not know what to do with originally. I always liked Maria Callas. Her voice is so pure to me. I can see why Celine admires her. The track is nice, and could be a single, based on her show on Canadian TV. Celine mentioned that she has always felt a special connection to La Callas. Maybe a movie in the works? The idea is out. She is proving on the last minute of the song, that she may have the chops. The song is about the despair that the Callas felt throughout her life, and how music rescued her from her dark moments. Celine has had a similar path whereby music has "saved" her from the dull moments of her earlier part of life, where boredom of school set in. Written by Denise Bombardier, a Canadian author.

7. FEMME COMME CHACUNE is one of the songs I like least. The intro reminds me of another song by Celine entitled CHERCHE ENCORE, which has never really been a favorite of mine. Not quite a filler, but just easy to overlook. I don't know the author. This song sounds very French for some reason.

8. SI J'ETAIS QUELQU'UN is an OK song. I don't quite know what to do with this song. Not bad, but I am just on the fence as to liking it. It is a bit dull, and contributes to the CD getting 4 stars.

9. JE NE SUIS PAS CELLE feels like one of Christine Orban. A bit tedious to read with many details. The tune fits to the lyrics, but it is quite boring, and almost depressing. I guess that's what they went for, as it works for that purpose. This reminds me of the song TU NAGES, which is a drag in and of itself (just a personal opinion). It feels like it takes ages to finish.

10. Written by a playwright, LE TEMPS QUI COMPTE reminds me of DESTIN as well. The texture of the lyrics seem to mirror the time spent since D'EUX for some reason. Pretty good soung. More upbeat.

11. LETTRE DE GEORGE SAND A ALFRED DE MUSSET is written by George Sand, a great figure of French literature from the XIX century. It sounds like it's a page of literature that is coming to life. This song, while well crafted lyrically (taken from an actual letter from the author to her lover Alfred de Musset), which means that it almost does not feel like it should be put to a tune. It is working OK though. Not a favorite of mine.

12. ON S'EST AIME A CAUSE is one of my favorite songs on the entire album. It is beautiful, and an extension of track 3 A CAUSE (written by same author). I enjoy listening this song an awful lot. Celine's voice is at its best. It is about the reason why one would fall in love, and fast-forwarding many years, and realizing that the present time requires for love to be established DESPITE many ailments that may have crept into the relationship. It really is a nice reflection on the theory of love and relationships. To me, this song seems to go with MES PARADIS, track # 5 on this album. The progression of these three songs (3,5 and 12) seem to tell a story of their own. Well done.

13. BERCEUSE (lullaby) is an OK song. It sounds like a lullaby too, which is great. Canadian-native Janette Bertrand wrote the song. She is also a comedienne. The only hang-up I have here is that it is hard for me to differentiate this tune from the DIVA song. On that song she mentions being grateful to know the Callas, and that she is the reason why she is on stage, while this one seems to be putting the stress on her life on stage because of her son. It is a bit confusing to me. I know that this is not supposed to be a book, but because the authors are so prominent, I don't seem to be able to separate the two.

So, overall, this is a very good album. My favorite tracks are 1-3, 6 and 12. The least favorite ones are 8, 9 and 11. The others are all good. I think this is a very original concept, which will prove to be another highlight in French music. I would definitely recommend it.
VINE VOICEon March 13, 2008
D'elles is Celine's follow up to 1995's bestselling D'Eux and as such, is a shout-out to grrrl power (the clinical-sounding official line is "a concept project that celebrates womanhood"). The lyrics for the thirteen songs were written by well-known female authors from Belgium, France, and Canada, including Fran'oise Dorin, Christine Orban, Nina Bouraoui, Marie Laberge, Lise Payette, Denise Bombardier, Nathalie Nechtschein, Jovette Alice Bernier, Janette Bertrand and George Sand (Baroness Dudevant).

The studio wizards include the four collaborators on Celine's last French album 1 Fille & 4 Types: Jean-Jacques Goldman (music supervisor), Jacques Veneruso, Erick Benzi, and Gildas Arzel (the "four guys" referred to in the title of her earlier work). My favorite Acadien singer-songwriter Jean-Francois Breau (Expose) also contributes his songwriting expertise.

Some of the thirteen songs have uptempo flirtations with dance music (Et s'il n'en restait qu'une, A cause), while others are gentle slow ballads (On s'est aime a cause, Je ne suis pas celle). We even see Celine "duetting" with the late Maria Callas through studio wizardry on La diva, although Celine sings along so softly with Callas that it's difficult to hear how her operatic aspirations measure up. Another of the more experimental tracks is Lettre a George Sand, in which Celine recites the text of a letter from George Sand and dissolves into a melody that somehow reminded me of my grandfather's favorite religious song "Prayer of St. Francis." My least-favorite track was the grating lullaby Berceuse, in which Celine merely whispers the words and infinitely repeats the "Mama t'aime" ("Mommy loves you") chorus ad nauseum.

Overall, it's a pleasant, if sometimes bland, listening experience that makes for pleasant background music, but for the most part, the songs blended together and weren't instantly memorable on first listen. Also beware if you buy the deluxe edition from France: the bonus DVD is Region 2 PAL only; Amazon.com didn't specify that, and I ended up returning my copy since it was pointless paying $26 for a disc I couldn't play (I had erroneously assumed that the deluxe edition was the Canadian, not European import, and it was not labeled as such).
on November 29, 2011
I'm not a big celine dion fan because here(in america)they overplay her music from the 90's like my heart will go on & nothing else.
But I love celine's french songs & french musicals so i'm going to do this review track by track.

Et S'Il N'En Restait Qu'Une (Je Serais Celle-Là)
The first track of this album is a very dramantic song that could used for a musical also i saw beautiful video fused with kingdom hearts(my favorite video game for ps2)and another video with a translation that's blocked on youtube cause of region
The Translated verison means this And If There were Only One(I Would Be That one)while my translation said Remained.
first translation is the best one. 10/10 stars

Immensité:
Second track after the first a beautiful song about the ups & downs and beauties of life through of feelings of love
a very meaningful song.10/10 stars
translation:Immensite.

A Cause
a song that should've been played in clubs if not already.
This is the danceable version of it. note there is an extended version on youtube.translation:Because

Je Cherche l'Ombre
a song about the love celine & her husband had and having to hide thier realationship from the world because of her carrer as a singer & also wanting her freedom as woman/mother to get away from fame & being herself again
it has the feeling of a black & white movie with old style of french music with an accordion bend.
translation:I seek the Shadows.
so is a dark song... 10/10 stars for its beauty & darkness.

La Paradis
Paradise is the english title
this song reminds me of if you asked me to from celine dion in 1992 also is about first love & wanting to find it again in heaven. 8/10 stars for its dark & morbid meaning.

La Diva
the song starts out with an old recording of maria callas singing Si, Mi Chiamano Mimi from puccini's 1896 opera la boheme
then celine sings about the tragedy of callas's final days in her life & how she(celine)says how her music saved & inspired
her become a singer near the end of the song celine sings with maria callas.I don't really think celine is suited for singing opera & should stick to what she's great at. 5/10 stars for effrot.

Femme Comme Chacune
a song about love bewteen women of the same sex.
translation:Woman As Each 10/10 stars for it's great beat.

Si J'Étais Quelqu'Un
This song reminds of if walls could talk from all the way...a decade in song.
translation:If I Was Somebody 9/10 stars.

Je Ne Suis Pas Celle
this song sounds simalar to J'ai Peur from Roméo & Juliette de la Haine a l'Amour sung by Damien Sargue.
translation:I Am not That 10/10 stars.

Le Temps Qui Compte
a upbeat song about love & how we should make it last
translation:The Time That Counts 10/10 stars for wonderful meaning.

Lettre de George Sand a Alfred De Musset
this starts with celine talking in french then sings reminds of a musical flim first with dialoge then when there's no more words left to say... Sing about it! & its about love so i love this song very poetic & romantic.
another reviewer says its weak & boring but that's what opinions are for.
translation:Letter of George Sand to Alfred De Musset 10/10 stars for it's romanticism.

On S'Est Aimé A Cause
The ballad version of a cause. lyrics by Françoise Dorin & music by Marc Dupré and Jean-François Breau
translation:We loved each other because! Ten stars for both versions.

Berceuse(Lullaby)
the last track from this album. A beautiful track it's about her son René-Charles Dion Angélil having some trouble with his mother work in Las Vegas.
p.s:there's only the cd no dvd or a mini-booklet of Dion's photos and her personal notes about each song, a mini-booklet with song lyrics, and four postcards.the dvd includes the making of the album in a recording studio, behind-the-scenes from Et S'Il N'En Restait Qu'Une (Je Serais Celle-Là)music video & photo shoot for the album. So i'm going get that version somewhere esle. Don't be scamed out of your money.
on June 9, 2007
Ok, it's not Jean-Jacques Goldman, and it's not young Celine anymore.

D'elles portrays a collection of songs written by different women from the french and franco-canadian scene. I'll go through them one by one:

Et s'il n'en restait qu'une: 4/5

**** First single off the album, a very powerful and sentimental ballad, you can almost hear the old celine in this one.

Immensite: 4/5

**** A very nice song, second single. Great music by Veneruso, who wrote many songs in celine's last french album. The string arrangements are very nice.

A cause: 3/5

**** A fast-paced , catchy song, kind of melodramatical. Still, i think there's something missing. The arrangements are not perfect, and celine sounds nasal.

Je cherche l'ombre: 5/5

**** One of the best songs in the album, if not the best. Beautiful music, mixing the piano with kenas, violins and accordeon.. quite a la francaise. Celine's voice sounds soft and pure, and then powerful and still pure.

Les paradis: 2.5/5

***** Filler material.. sounds like "Contre Nature" but with less quality in the writing. I skip this one.

La Diva: 4/5

***** Weird song.. Celine sings along Maria Callas,kinda reminds me of "Papillon", but a little more nasal. There's a problem with some high notes, Celine seems to be stretching to get up there. Good song though, you get a few seconds Celine singing lirical.

Femme comme chacune: 2/5

***** Bad song, celine's voice sounds awful, and the song itself is bad contemporary, trashy pop. Skip it

Si j'etais quelqu'un: 3.5/5

***** Nice song.. it varies from soft to bombastic/rocky.. you'll see. Not bad, but forgettable.

Je ne suis pas celle 3.5/5

***** The beginning sounds like "Tu Nages", but not as good as that one. It looks like a Lara Fabian song... too soap-opera dramatic.

Le temps qui compte: 4/5

***** Very nice and catchy song. Also sounds like "Contre Nature", it could be a good choice for a single.

Lettre de George Sand a Alfred de Musset: 2.5/5

***** hmmm Celine whispers too much in this one. Doesn't sound too nice. It's a slow and boring song.

On s'est aime a cause: 5/5

***** Great song, it's a variation from song #3 but a lot better, more ballad-like. It got stuck in my head for some days. I would really like to see this as a single, although I don't think that will happen.

Berceuse: 4.5/5

***** Berceuse, which means "lullaby", is a very beautiful soft song, alla "Memoire d'Abraham", just the piano, the strings and Celine. The lyrics seem to be dedicated to her son, Rene-Charles Angelil.
on July 28, 2007
Those who are just used to listening to Celine in English and are doubtful about listening to songs they may not understand, fear not! This is a great CD and it is very soothing and exhilarating. It's wonderful to hear Celine's beautiful voice in her native tongue. It has passion and beauty. It's simply great.
on May 21, 2013
It is hard to say if this album or "Sans Attendre" is my favorite French album from the amazing Céline Dion. D'Elles (For Them) is a album directed for women by women, carrying this theme for the whole album.
The stand out tracks for me are:
2.) Immensité (Immensity) - This song's lyrics are poetic and epic with the musical accompaniment.
3.) A Cause (Because) - Great beat! This easily can be a dance track, very addictive.
5.) Les Paradis (The Heavens) - A relaxing song with an uplifting message.
7.) Femme comme chacune (Woman as each Woman) - A fun song to sing.
8.) Si j'étais quelqu'un (If I Were Someone) - The best track on the album, very powerful and a suitable beat. The song was written by Nathalie Nechtschein who is handicapped. This song evaluates what society considers "normal".
12.) On s'est aimé à cause (We loved each other because).
on May 10, 2013
I love Celine Dion both singing in French and in English. I own and love her CD D'eux (from songwritter Jean-Jacques Goldman, ): it's a nice mix of upbeat and romantic songs. D'Elles, the feminine version, caught me by suprise...sad melodies, very well sang of course but just not what I was hoping for from these great female writers...still love Celine's fabulous voice!
on December 28, 2007
I think it is a wonderful record. Of course, very difficult to beat "D'eux" from 1995 but still Celine sounds as fresh as ever. When she sings in her native tongue she is definitely better.
on July 25, 2007
The cd is wonderful but we tried to contact you about the dvd will not play in US but got no reply we paid extra for something we cannot use.