Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 7, 2012
One real plus about these is that they are plastic, not laminated cardboard, so I expect to never need to replace them.

I have read some place where people pan the little cards as too small to get a good reading for white balance in the light they are working in. That suggests that they haven't ever used the click custom white balance available in a lot of photo editors. When you have your lighting set up (or have set up your shoot in outdoor lighting - in outdoor lighting you should probably take reference shots frequently as the light change) you either have someone hold the white balance card in a shot or put the white balance in the shot (i.e., product photography). Then when you go to post process you click on the card as the reference and auto correct your white balance. It doesn't have to be the size of a posterboard to accomplish that.

Pfeh - it's some plastic cards on a lanyard that could have been made from shoe laces. It works, it was affordable... that's all that matters for something like this.
on March 30, 2012
Nice little card set. Both indoors and out, the 18% gray card got my white balance quite neutral in my Panasonic m4/3. Much better than the white references I've been using which tends toward a cooler blue tint.

At their credit card size, they are convenient to store, and sufficiently large for most casual use. The lanyard is more useful than I expected and if the plastic-like cards last a full outdoor season, I'll be well satisfied.

I wish I'd found this little set a long time ago.
on July 25, 2013
I use these for under water video. I like that its compact and waterproof. I attach it to retractable lanyard and just pull it out in front of camera and done. Later in post editing I use the three cards to color correct and the results are great. Does what it's supposed to.
on July 16, 2012
These cards are great for post-processing!

Fun test to try: Take a long exposure in super low-light (use a tripod). The colors should be awful before post-processing. Then load your image on your computer and color correct with these cards. The results are amazing! The hideous coloring is completely gone and you're left with a normal-looking photo!

Obviously the above is an extreme test, but I've been amazed at how much better my photos look when I take the time to properly white balance.

My only complaint: these cards are a bit too small to use my camera's on-board custom white balance, which requires the card to fill entire view. I've read that some cameras can do on-board custom white balance on a point; if you have that, you're in great shape!

I don't mind white-balancing on the computer. Just make sure you shoot in 'raw'!
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2015
This card is not 18% grey. If you're looking to meter off these to set correct exposure - best to look at another product. It is one full stop (+1) lighter than true 18% grey. See the difference in the photo I've attached between this grey card and another which is 18% grey. It may have other uses in post processing, but shouldn't be bought with the expectation that you'll be able to set correct exposure to it. Hope this is helpful.
review image
on December 7, 2012
It does what it's supposed to do, easy to carry around. I like to do my white balance in post, so I have an assistant hold up all three cards fanned out in the first frame of a new lighting scenario. The gray card is used for setting the white balance, and the black and white cards for setting black and white points and tone curves. Excellent!
on July 9, 2012
I've been trying to use these for the past day and half after i received them, with continuous lights they work ok, but I do alot of high key lighting for clients and have to use flash sometimes, when flash is involved they often completely wash out or have a white light streak across them. The black card especially. When i uploaded the pictures i couldn't even use them because they where all white and over exposed. I'm going to keep trying them and take some test shots so i can upload them here. Who knows maybe I'm using them wrong, tho I'm not sure how that's possible. So far they aren't my favorite.

Added pictures the high and low key ones with the bear and piggy bank. The one where it's in my hand I show you the glare I get.
review image review image review image review image
on August 18, 2013
I did a lot of research before buying these cards. There are other more expensive options that are not really worth the extra money. These are regular gray/white/black cards, as long as the manufacturer makes the *appropriate* gray tone, you will be good to go. A big advantage of these is that they are not made out of carton, so you can get them wet with no problem.

These cards represent the perfect balance between price and functionality.
on March 16, 2014
I am very happy with the cards. I noted a number of reviews complaining about the size of the cards. They are each about the size of a credit card. I struggled with that complaint and almost ordered the next size which was 4 x 5. I have a Panasonic FZ200 "bridge" camera and carry it in a case which hangs on my belt. I value portability. When I am out I do not carry a separate camera bag with me. What I realized is that the 4 x 5 cards would not fit in my belt mounted camera case. I opted in the end to get the smaller size cards. I shoot mostly Raw photos but getting the right color balance is still important to me. My camera has a setting which allows me to read and set white balance. It sets up a frame in the viewer which I fill with the card and set. For my camera this requires me to hold this "small" card at about arms length and push the set button. The card size is perfect for that. Additionally I shoot a photo of the card for post processing color balance work in Lightroom. If not stored in my camera case it fits perfectly in my wallet (just like a credit card). If I were a professional and did carry a bag full of lenses I think I might have purchased the 4 x 5 size, but for me size is important and credit card size is perfect!
on January 10, 2015
Right out of the box this gray card had black marks across one side. I was unable to remove this with soap and water. Both sides had a discoloration on the top edge that appeared as if the lamination might be coming apart. I ordered a gray card and got something very different.