5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic deal!
I worked in a home audio/video store for seven years. We were a small family owned business. We sold the normal stuff, plus very high-end audiophile equipment. They will hate me for posting this here. But, I don't care.

Published on December 25, 2010 by Eric R. Hale

2.0 out of 5 stars I might cry - this is not copper wire
I didn't learn until after wiring my whole house that this is NOT copper wire. It is CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire.

Copper is quite expensive these days, so people are selling copper-plated aluminum wires to save money.

Published 21 months ago by DMS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic deal!, December 25, 2010
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)

We were paid commissions and when we sold a system, we made more on the accessories than we made on the actual equipment. Typical gross margin on a stereo was about 30% - 40%, if it was not on sale. It could be 5% - 20% if it was on sale. Accessories are typically 80% gross margin! That means if we paid $20, we sold it for $100. (The only thing that was higher gross margin was Extended Warranties - the biggest ripoff in the world.)

We tested the cables ourselves to see if there was a difference. We could hear the difference between thin cable and thick cable. However, we couldn't here the difference between brands. We took the best $2.00 per foot 12 gauge Monster Cable (triple twisted, multi-strand, 99.99% oxygen free copper, with poly-methyle-razz-a-ma-tazz coating) and compared it to 12 gauge lamp cord from the hardware store. It's impossible to hear the difference. We used to laugh at the guys who would come in and tell us they could hear the difference between the cables. (We'd laugh at them, after we took their money!)

Copper is copper. It conducts electricity. You need good quality, low gauge conductor. That's it. None of that other crap matters. It's marketing and hype.

The important factors for buying speaker wire:
- Make sure it's copper.
- Make sure it's thick.
- Has a decent insulator on it (that's not going to crack or get brittle.)
- Clearly marked for +/- polarity.
Then you just get the cheapest that you can find!

Here's the big secret on most of the cables like Monster: the insulator is clear because it acts like a magnifying glass to make it look bigger than it actually is. Insulation is cheaper than cable. Look at a cross section (the cut) and you'll be amazed at how much is just plastic.

People hear the difference because they want to hear a difference.

There are some demonstration setups that I have seen where they have spools of wire and you can switch between the two wires. You will clearly hear a difference. However, it's not because of the quality of the wire. It's because the wire is wrapped into a spool and forms an inductor. What you are hearing is the filtering that occurs from the inductor. That is just a dirty trick that any electrical engineer (or anyone who knows about electronic components) would clearly see as a trick.

This wire is fantastic. It's on a nice spool. It insulated well and clearly marked for polarity (red/black.) It might even be suitable for direct bury for outdoor applications. (You need to double check that.)

For low- medium- or even high-end applications, this is fantastic wire. You cannot hear the difference, unless you are going to use very low gauge (much thicker - like 8 gauge). Even then, you'd need to have a very very high end system (like $10,000+) with a very high power amp.

My only comment to mention is that it's not as flexible as some wires. It's a little stiff. That could make it a little tough if you are pulling it through a wall. But, it's not a big deal.

I highly recommend this wire for any application.

The price to quality ratio is off the charts. A fantastic deal!

2.0 out of 5 stars I might cry - this is not copper wire, October 31, 2012
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)

14 AWG CCA Wire is roughly equivalant (in resistance, measured in Ohms) to 16 AWG Copper wire, so you'll need to spend more money on thicker wire.

Here are some first-hand observations and comments:
1) It's Made in China
2) It is right at 14 AWG as far as I can tell
3) The material is CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). Copper-plated aluminum. Aluminum is not nearly as good of a conductor as copper, so you'll need thicker wire than if it was solid copper wire.
4) Some people seem to care about the "strand count." I counted about 40 strands of CCA per wire. I personally don't believe this matters as far as audio quality goes (some people do!), but smaller strands allow the wire to be more flexible. Apparently 100+ strand count is supposed to indicate "better" or higher quality wire.
5) Other than that, the quality seems good. If not for it being CCA, I would have given it 5 stars.

I hope this helps out someone else *BEFORE* they wire their house.

NOTE: There's nothing wrong with CCA wire as long as you know what you are getting. If you calculate what thickness of copper wire you need, then, as a general rule, just go up one size when buying this stuff.

UPDATE: to determine if you have CCA wire, just scratch it to see if it turns silver (the color of aluminum).

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaker Wire, July 20, 2010
Xpert1 (Pueblo West, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I needed really good speaker wire and this is the best I have found in over 30 years. I needed a 250 foot roll and it was perfect. Flexible sheathing that's durable and weatherproof, the wire's great, two conductor - one black and one red. 14 awg quality wire that's strong and yet very flexible. This 14 gauge wire is truly the finest speaker wire plus Amazon sells it for a remarkable price. You won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious wire, January 13, 2011
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
This is very nice speaker wire. I'm surprised it's only 14 Awg - it seems more like 12. In fact, if you are connecting to equipment that expects 14 or has small connections, you might have difficulty. I used it to connect my 20-year-old Sony receiver through a new monster cable speaker switch to 4 new pairs of Polk in-wall speakers, pulling the wire through walls and behind crown molding. It sounds incredible. Very easy to pull through walls and make connections. I just ordered my second spool.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal..., March 11, 2012
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I needed to add my review of this product since there were questions about the validity of the advertised specs. I took some top quality strippers that have calibrated awg strip holes. This cable stripped perfectly at 14 awg. I tried at 16awg and it cut copper strands.

I also took some monster XP cable that I am replacing with this and out of curiosity searched the web for its gauge, as it is not listed anywhere on the product, and found that it was thought to be 16 awg. I did the strip test on that cable and it stripped at 16 awg, The problem was after stripping I noticed a little plastic filler tube in the middle of the strands. I then went through this new 14awg cable strands and it was solid through and through with nice copper as advertised.

The last test was to put the strands under intense heat and it turned red then back to the copper color after wiping to prove that it wasn't some copper coated tin or silver. I haven't used it yet but basically I am convinced it's the real deal. it's a little stiffer than my old cable but I guess that's expected when your not filling it with plastic. Hope this helps to ease any doubts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior product, February 12, 2012
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I read all the reviews before I selected this product to wire my surround and outdoor speakers. I'll add my five-star review to the others, as this product is clearly superior. It was easy to measure, as each foot is marked on the wire, from 1 to 250 (250 on the outside of the spool). That also made it easy to identify which wire went where in my attic. Pulling the wires (four of them) through the wall was much easier than I thought for 14 gauge pairs. The wire is very flexible. They were also easy to strip and connect, and were, as advertised, all copper. The only criticism is that the labeling on the box and the spool misspelled the word "speaker." Would you believe "speacker!" Nonetheless, a quality product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, May 9, 2011
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I've have been a professional installer for 2 years. I am no longer in the trade but I do help out friends when they want to retrofit their homes. I would recommend this product. It pulls fine, strips easy and is sold at a great price. I have used it with both cheap and expensive speaker systems and the quality of sound is good. I would be surprised if one could find a better deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, great price, February 2, 2012
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
Good speaker cable is good speaker cable. You can get similar quality from any brick n mortar store.

The cable works flawlessly and I spent much less money than I could have gotten this for elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great low price, January 5, 2012
AS (Leesburg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
Bought this speaker wire for my home theater in the basement. Needed a cable that would withstand cold/heat on the external walls. This wire turned out to be very good quality like some of the other reviews have noted. A comparable wire at Best Buy is about 3 times more expensive! This speaker wire is thick, like it should be for a 14 gauge. Each strand is all copper, not just coated with copper. The outer insulation seems very good quality as well. It is flexible so I don't have to worry about it cracking while running under the baseboard or fishing through dry walls. Overall very happy with the quality and the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not copper wire. Beware of false descriptions., August 17, 2013
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I have just opened my package of what was supposed to be 250ft of CL2 99.99% oxygen free copper wire. I have ordered this before with no issues, however this time, to my dismay, what I received was not copper wire, but rather copper clad wire, a diluted, substandard version of true and pure copper wire. I purchased the product a second time because I got what I paid for the first time and it worked wonderfully for the applications I am using it for. When I contacted the seller they stated they only carry CCA (clad). Do not puchase this if you want copper.

Rate and Discover Movies