4.0 out of 5 stars be self-sufficient
Published on March 5, 2011 by K. Platt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the new homesteader or backyard farmer
Although there is a lot of good ideas in this book it is geared more toward the beginning homesteader or backyard gardener and not those that are seasoned at living this lifestyle. There were a few new ideas that I liked but most were redundant from the web and other books
Published on November 20, 2012 by Suzanne

4.0 out of 5 stars be self-sufficient, March 5, 2011
This review is from: DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle (Paperback)
For all those who have started growing their own, here are 25 ways to help you on your way to the good life. Being self-sufficient is a lifestyle choice that helps the environment and keeps you healthy and fit. Learn how to save water, make compost, build a compost bin, planters, raised beds, a greenhouse or hoop frame and a cold frame. On the gardening front learn how to grow and transplant seedlings. Discover how to preserve what you have grown, set up a root cellar. Find out about raising animals. Build a chicken run and beehive. See the benefits of going solar to provide heat and light for the house.

This book covers many things, it is particularly good on the building side - the instructions for making frames etc are very good. Then it dabbles in raising animals and solar power and I think these things are not as well covered a they could have been. I see this as a book about making objects that facilitate growing, a subject it covers admirably. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book with Easy to Follow Ideas, February 9, 2012
I was very impressed with this book. Our family does raised gardens and grows some of our own crops. But, we are always looking for more ideas and ways to increase production, lengthen the growing season, and make better use of the urban space we have. I loved the greenhouse and hoop house ideas. We are getting the supplies ready and will be building in a few weeks. The strawberry garden barrel seems like a great improvement over the green hanging "growing bags" we have bought in the past. I am quite excited to get to work on that project. I found the pictures to be very useful that went hand in hand with very easy step by step instructions for each project. A lot of other DIY books or books along these lines don't have anywhere near as many details or pictures. We have already built a chicken tractor (a lot of time, planning, and hard work... but worth it!)and it would have been great to have the chicken ark directions then. The only thing missing that we would've REALLY liked to see is a DIY project on a SOLAR OVEN. **I will update and let you know how the building goes when more of the projects get done.**

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY Do it, October 10, 2011
It is a great book with many good ideas for the small/property home DIY person. I am going to enjoy planning this winter and doing next summer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the new homesteader or backyard farmer, November 20, 2012
Suzanne (OSCEOLA, WI, US) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas!, November 21, 2012
I really liked this book. After checking it out from the library several times I finally bought by own copy. Great projects from beginner to a more self sufficient lifestyle. Great photos to inspire you. I especially liked the cold frame design. A must have for the backyard homesteader looking to add some new life and wider use to their backyard. Would make a GREAT gift!

3.0 out of 5 stars It is ok for a beginner, September 5, 2012
I thought it would contain more projects geared toward DIY preppers but it is more for the suburban home who is just beginning. Projects are very basic and easy even if you have never done it before. If you are looking for more advanced projects (building a potty, etc) skip this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Basic, February 15, 2013
Joe (Western PA) - See all my reviews
This book is okay if you are totally new to the subject and need some ideas. This book had great potential with some of the ideas it presented but instead of going into detail on any of its ideas it kind of just gave a very broad view of how to do something and left it there. I would have loved to read some more in-depth information on the ideas they gave, like keeping Bees and Solar Power. It would be a nice gift but if you are shopping for yourself you are better off looking up ideas free online and then buy a more in-depth book on that particular subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, April 10, 2013
Julie M. (south bend in) - See all my reviews
when I ordered this book my husband said I am not doing any of those projects. the first day this book arrived he was the one reading it and book marking all the projects he was going to try. these projects are well laid out and simple enough I could do most of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but sufficient - Large, thick paper, great photos. most projects realistic for average homeowner, December 3, 2013
I knew most of the things in here from online browsing, BUT, outstanding layout of book, excellent color photos, excellent descriptions and instructions.
There are three projects in here I will build, maybe four, there are more that are worthy of building. The projects give material list, measurmets and a good descriptive photo.
This book is not close to as in depth as other books I have but it seems to have went for quality color photos, the main essentials, and qualilty of the physical book itself, meaning thick lusterous paper. Book is perfect for dragging around with you in the yard or lounging to browse.
I started to give 3 stars but went back and looked at the description and it states 25 ways to build a self reliant lifestyle.......that is exactly what it is so then I considered a 5 star due to quality of book and contents. I went with 4 star because I believe a little more detail could have been given for the price which brings me to this, the price should be a few dollars lower due to the minimal basic content. The price point must be there because of the physical quality of book.......I am ok with that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, but I wouldn't be able to do most of them., September 3, 2013
This book contains some really great and useful ideas, however, for someone like myself having very little knowledge of building and power tools, a lot of the building projects seem unnecessarily intricate in the designs and plans. I would have loved to see more simple designs and plans made for beginners that I might actually be able to do.

$19.99 $14.09